Interactive Recordings all mixed up between my 2 BW

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

meppy
Apprentice

Interactive Recordings all mixed up between my 2 BW

Post by meppy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 21:43

I am posting this here and on IceTV forums...

I have a DP1 in the lounge for recordings and general TV, and in the office I have a H1 with a small USB key for watching TV and shows over the network (from the Lounge and my NAS).

Tonight we come home expecting there to be a number of recordings in the lounge only to find chaos. The Office H1 is recording a couple of shows to the USB key that is rapidly running out of space, it has a red triangle with exclamation on the screen and the Lounge has not recorded anything, so we have missed a heap of shows.

I check interactive and the show that is recording right now is set for Office which is just weird, but all the others are set to record on Lounge, and most have the yellow exclamation mark next to them but one show has recorded on the Office H1 despite it being set to Lounge in interactive.

So I am again interrupting my work to deal with stupid BW problems (daylight savings was painful enough). Grrr. Anyone having similar problems or know what has happened?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 13, 2010 21:55

Hi Meppy,

This sounds like an IceTV problem.

Moderators: This post should be moved to the IceTV area of the forum.

Regards,
Ian.

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 22:04

Yep you are right, I missed the IceTV forum when I posted.

I came back to try and delete my post as I found the problem, although surprised that it had the effect it did.

Turns out my Lounge P1 didn't renew it's DHCP properly when I turned it off and on and so didn't pick-up the Gateway change I made recently. So it wasn't talking to the network.

Now what I didn't realise was that this would mean it would try and record to the other device even though it doesn't really have a hard drive.

So this time round it was my bad... oops :) I apologised to my BW already for swearing at it and threatening it with the remote.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 22:09

meppy wrote:...
Now what I didn't realise was that this would mean it would try and record to the other device even though it doesn't really have a hard drive.
I'm surprised that that would happen. I don't think the IceTV protocol cares what the IP address of its clients is. It uses the names you've given them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 22:15

No the problem is that the router IP changed (Gateway) so the P1 couldn't talk to the Internet and therefore couldn't get the IceGuide and recordings. So it seems that somehow the H1 ended up recording some shows, that bit is still odd.

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 07:35

I am not sure what causes this but I doubt its your router.

I have 4 BW's and have seen this a number of times over the last few months.

Prior to that it had not happened.

One of my H1's will pick up a days recordings from another device and even if i delete them and resend from iceTV they will end up on the H1.

I go into setup and change the H1's unit association for ice and then change it back and all is good again.

It had me thinking that BW had possibly introduced an iceTV bug in the recent firmware where it is broadcasting itself incorrectly.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16

meppy wrote:No the problem is that the router IP changed (Gateway) so the P1 couldn't talk to the Internet and therefore couldn't get the IceGuide and recordings. So it seems that somehow the H1 ended up recording some shows, that bit is still odd.
I understood that. I just think, like craigh, that the recordings being made on the H1 is not due to the misconfiguration of the router.

The fact that the recordings weren't being sent to the P1 could easily have been caused by the router change.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 09:00

I have 2 Wiz's, S1,DP lite.
I was away for 2 weeks.
Last light when I got back. I looked at my series recordings scheduled on the Net.
I found that I had conflict showing on one of my boxes entries. (! icon)
Shouldn't have been as there were only 2 recordings on that day (next wednesday, evening)

Having a look at the offending box, I noticed that it had some recordings scheduled on it that are sheduled on the other box. I assume now that these conflict schedules were sent to the wrong box.

I use a view only timer manually set on both boxes for 11:00 AM for 10 minutes, with the thought that this should suffice to drag in any EPG and new timers entered by IceTV for the next 5 days, on a day by day basis.

I don't believe that the router (DHCP) changed my boxes IP addresses, as there has be no evidence of this previously.

IceTV sees any requests from the gateway comes from one IP address, and this is where I am thinking it may get messy with simultaneous requests

My thoughts now go like this, that both boxes made simultaneous requests.
Being a gateway, that uses NAT, IP address translation, any response sent back, is sent back to the the gateway address, with the IP port number initiated by the Wiz. This would be sorted out and sent to the correct internal IP address (Wiz) via a lookup table in the gateway using the IP port as the guiding light .

I am now assuming that the Wiz may use a fixed IP Port for the ICETV request. Send this to the Net to use as the requesting IP port to be responded to.
If this is so, then I could see that it would be possible for things to get out of wack.

I think I understand that some on this forum were involved fairly deeply in the implementation of the Wiz ICE s/w, and hopefully they can put me straight.

Is this a possible issue/cause?

Hopefully this is not too wishy washy and confusing.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 09:37

It seems that this is a common occurrence that all ICEtv people seem to experience from time to time (i.e. not just Wiz's).
Tony

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:41

tonymy01 wrote:It seems that this is a common occurrence that all ICEtv people seem to experience from time to time (i.e. not just Wiz's).
That could well be possible, and may fit the scenario I painted.

Posted off an email to Ice, and see what they think of it.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 07:51

I have had another couple of occurrences of timers being sent to the wrong box.

The last one I saw, had only just been sent, so I was able to go back to the Ice website, and resend all timers to the BW that it should have gone to.
The offending timer appeared on the correct box at the next fetch.

I hadn't done any reconfig on either end, nor altered any timers at the Ice end.

That would tell us that there is no problems with config/misnaming/selecting the wrong box manually in the setup.

Also, I found that while I was away, where I had a series recording setup, I had one weeks show on one box, and the next weeks show on the other box.

IceTV people have said that,
There are times in the past where for no reason the Beyonwiz resets the device it is set to and goes back to the first one in the list.
I asked if this had been reported to BW, and just to understand the mechanism a bit better, I also asked if the requests from the boxes were identified by name, or ID number.
This problem has been reported to Beyonwiz.

In all messages sent to the server it is just the ID number that is sent (either 0, 1, 2 or 3).

I hope we are not between a rock and a hard place here that we see in these sort of situations, where each one blames the other.

My original thoughts about ports being mixed up, were erroneous.
NAPT takes care of that. Its been so long since I got down and dirty in the address translation area of a gateway, I lost sight of that.

:oops:

Return to “Ice TV”