New to IceTV

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

HobbsAu
Apprentice

New to IceTV

Post by HobbsAu » Thu May 28, 2009 23:09

Good day, folks,

I am a very recent user of IceTV having just purchased a 12 month subscription and finally got it working. I have made a few favourites and scheduled some series to record and downloaded the guide and timers to my Beyonwiz Dp-P1.

First thing I notice is that all the timers downloaded are once-only recordings, as opposed to the weekly timers I had set up already. Even if the series has been set as wanted, the timer is a once-only recording. Is this normal?

I am thinking it is, because I assume the guide gets updated weekly along with the timers, but am I assuming correctly?

Any information gratefully received.

Cheers,

Al.
Pan TX-37, BW DP-P2, Toppy 7160 & great sound.....

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu May 28, 2009 23:24

Yes is it normal. The whole point of series recordings is to catch the episodes at any time they may be screened, rather than a fixed time every week. The only way this can be done is by a continual flow of "Once" timers. The only catch to it is if the schedules are changed after Ice has already created and sent a timer to your Wiz, because currently Ice cannot delete and recreate a timer it has already sent. But fortunately this is a rare occurrence.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri May 29, 2009 00:35

I am fairly certain ICE can and does delete timers if there are changes. This works for me most times...
Tony

Gully

Re: New to IceTV

Post by Gully » Fri May 29, 2009 03:41

HobbsAu wrote:I am thinking it is, because I assume the guide gets updated weekly along with the timers, but am I assuming correctly?
Al

The guide and timers are updated separately every 30-50 minutes or so and you can see this under the IceTV settings in the log window.
Cheers
Gully

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Fri May 29, 2009 08:30

tonymy01 wrote:I am fairly certain ICE can and does delete timers if there are changes. This works for me most times...
My experience echos Tony's.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

HobbsAu
Apprentice

Fingers crossed then... :-)

Post by HobbsAu » Fri May 29, 2009 10:11

Thanks for the tips, guys. I hope Paul and Tony's experience is general. I am confident enough to delete my own weekly timers now.

Ice looks good, especially if it does update timers. ABC and SBS play nicely but the commercial channels change things at a whim and the AFL matches in NSW are anyone's guess :-))

Al

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Fri May 29, 2009 10:54

tonymy01 wrote:I am fairly certain ICE can and does delete timers if there are changes. This works for me most times...
:oops: There you are, it's even better than I thought! :wink:

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:50

There were a few situations where the show got cancelled or ICE got the show wrong, and it didn't send a delete first, and if the timeslot of where it originally planned to set the timer perfectly matched another show, then ICE would think you want to record the new show in that slot, but it would still create a timer for the moved show you wanted to record. I don't think this behaviour is the norm though, it was just some quirk in the way ICE processes your existing PVR timers vs how it processes the series recording that ICE schedules. It is difficult to test this behaviour more often as ICE usually gets it right before the 5days in advance that it sets your series timer.
Tony

download
Guru

Re: Fingers crossed then... :-)

Post by download » Fri May 29, 2009 11:58

Not sure if you got it but there's a $49 annual special that expires today

https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webpag ... fx-12month

Fair chance if you ring ICETV and mention it they'll credit you any difference.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

HobbsAu
Apprentice

Missed $49

Post by HobbsAu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39

Hi, Peter,

I missed the $49 special, but got mine at $69, so not bad anyway, but thanks for thinking of me.

On a more general note, the Ice system seems to try to record both SD and HD channels and this messed up on two recordings this weekend: One was on One HD which did not record the Swans' match; the timer started on Ch12, the One SD pointer, which just displayed the "This is One HD the programme you want is not here ner ner ner nerrrr nerrr" screen.

The other one was Dr Who, which I wanted to record in HD but the SD timer kicked in first and shoved the HD one out.

The question is, what is the best way to avoid these situations? In general, I want HD but not if the HD is not being simulcast, of course.

Thanks muchly.

Al,

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:48

Keep bugging ICE on their forums about setting up series recordings that have HD/SD preferences, or setup series recordings for "this channel only" instead of "all channels", or use keywords instead of series recording and tick the "prefer HD" preference.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Re: Missed $49

Post by prl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50

HobbsAu wrote:Hi, Peter,

I missed the $49 special, but got mine at $69, so not bad anyway, but thanks for thinking of me.

On a more general note, the Ice system seems to try to record both SD and HD channels and this messed up on two recordings this weekend: One was on One HD which did not record the Swans' match; the timer started on Ch12, the One SD pointer, which just displayed the "This is One HD the programme you want is not here ner ner ner nerrrr nerrr" screen.

The other one was Dr Who, which I wanted to record in HD but the SD timer kicked in first and shoved the HD one out.

The question is, what is the best way to avoid these situations? In general, I want HD but not if the HD is not being simulcast, of course.

Thanks muchly.

Al,
Until IceTV makes this work properly (for example by having a "Prefer HD" or "Prefer SD" setting), use "This channel only" on the appropriate SD or HD service when you set up your recordings on IceTV. This is not the correct setting for some circumstances, but it will stop IceTV from scheduling recordings on both SD and HD for a simulcast program.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Ice TV”