T4 Crashing after upgrade and downgrade

Moderators: Gully, peteru

cockroach
Apprentice

T4 Crashing after upgrade and downgrade

Post by cockroach » Sat Feb 18, 2023 22:07

Hi,
My T4 was running version beyonwiz-19.3-beyonwizt4-20191106 for years without problem.
In Januaury I upgraded to beyonwiz-19.3-beyonwizt4-20211010 and restored my settings from backup (which previously i asked the question and was told is okay to do within the same version).

My T4 is now crashing/unresponsive, nothing on front panel etc, after turning off/on the rear power switch it would be fine for a while and then same unresponsive issue again quite soon, after a week of this i then downgraded back to the previous version and did a restore from back up - that is, i assume i am now back to the same firmware and settings which were previously stable beyonwiz-19.3-beyonwizt4-20191106 - HOWEVER although it fine for a week eventually my T4 will still crashing/unresponsive.

Attached are my logs, can anyone tell me whats causing the unresponsiveness / or suggestions.

I suspect you might tell me to do a fresh firmware install WITHOUT restoring from backup but before i do this, want to make sure im not wasting my time when it might be something more obvious.

Your assistance on this matter is appreciated,
Sam
Attachments
Enigma2-2023-02-18_21-01-54.log
(415.64 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
enigma2_execution.log
(308 Bytes) Downloaded 31 times

prl
Wizard God

Re: T4 Crashing after upgrade and downgrade

Post by prl » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25

I've looked through the debug log and there's nothing obvious during the startup of your T4, nor near the end, apart from it complaining about some missing plugins (SerienRecorder and EPGRefresh being missing) - but I think that they are just warnings from OpenWebif.

The log runs for about 90 minutes from startup. About when during this time did you first start seeing problems? The last button press noted in the log was about 50 minutes after startup.

There is no usable information in the enigma2_execution.log, apart from the fact that the last normal shutdown of your T4 at about 9pm on Sun Jan 22, and it looks like that was when the box was rebooted after you did a settings restore after installing 20191106.

It might be helpful if you described the symptoms of the problem a bit more fully than "now crashing/unresponsive, nothing on front panel etc". What's shown on the TV screen? Does the POWER button on the remote work (you imply that it doesn't in your post)? Can you still access your T4 from your computer's browser using OpenWebif?

Have you ever checked the state of the voltage regulators on your T4's main circuit board to see whether they are overheating (the white thermal cement overflow under their heat sinks browning)? When they fail, the usual symptom is that a pair of tuners fails, but they have been known to cause other problems. I'm mentioning this possibility because I think the underlying issue could be hardware, not software.

While your T4 is running correctly, you can check the installed firmware version in MENU>Information>About>Revision.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

cockroach
Apprentice

Post by cockroach » Sun Feb 19, 2023 18:20

prl wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25
It might be helpful if you described the symptoms of the problem a bit more fully than "now crashing/unresponsive, nothing on front panel etc". What's shown on the TV screen? Does the POWER button on the remote work (you imply that it doesn't in your post)? Can you still access your T4 from your computer's browser using OpenWebif?
While your T4 is running correctly, you can check the installed firmware version in MENU>Information>About>Revision.
Thanks For the reply Peter, What occurs is the TV suddenly goes BLACK, showing nothing, the Front Panel of the T4 is blank, pressing a remote button does make the T4 blue front panel light respond but nothing is visible on TV or Front Panel, The Revision showing is 20191106 (as shown attached). It appears that with the firmware upgrade and then downgrade i've lost my EPG refresh plugin even though i did a restore from backup - and i cant seem to locate where to download the 'EPGRefresh plugin' anymore to reinstall- any ideas? (and yes its connected to the Internet)

As for the question 'can i access the T4 via the browser after the issue occurs, good point i havent tried, but i will if it happens again and also see if it 'pings' too.

NB: I hadnt had a problem with the T4 until i did the recent firmware upgrade, then the black screen and unresponsiveness occurs, it does seem related to this firmware change as it was fine prior, maybe it is because the EPGRefresh and Series2Folder plugins are missing as the 'restore from backup' didnt work!? Where can i get those plugins from now?
Thank You,
Sam
Attachments
T4.JPG

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 20, 2023 08:54

Thanks for the added details, but you didn't answer my question about the log file you posted. The log file runs for about 90 minutes from startup, and the last remote button press that it registered was about 50 minutes after startup, but when during that time did you start to have problems?

The blue light on the front panel flashing when you press a remote control button only indicates that the button press has been received by the front panel processor. It doesn't say anything about whether the main process that runs everything received it.
cockroach wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 18:20
Where can i get those plugins from now?

Unfortunately, the feeds.beyonwiz.org DNS name registration was allowed to lapse, and it has been taken over by cybersquatters. Only a few plugins (like the channel picons) can be accessed. It's not clear when (or even if) the plugin feed can be restored.

I don't think that those error messages about the missing plugins are part of your problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Feb 20, 2023 19:07

cockroach wrote:
...the EPGRefresh and Series2Folder plugins are missing as the 'restore from backup' didnt work!? Where can i get those plugins from now?

From here - http://adoxa.altervista.org/beyonwiz/
... and here - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9464

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:14

cockroach wrote:
maybe it is because the EPGRefresh and Series2Folder plugins are missing as the 'restore from backup' didnt work!?
Just a reminder that the the settings backup, while it will back-up a plugin's settings, does not actually back-up the plugin itself.
The plugins will always need to be re-installed manually following a USB firmware installation.

Different, non-Beyonwiz firmwares do offer more advanced backup and restore methods, that will offer to automatically download and install your plugins for you after a USB firmware installation, but even those methods require the plugin feeds to be active. As prl pointed out, the Beyonwiz plugin feeds are kaput for now.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “General Topics”