T4 Remote Control Repair/Replacement

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sandy B
Master

T4 Remote Control Repair/Replacement

Post by Sandy B » Mon Jun 08, 2020 09:39

Some of the buttons on the T4 remote control are becoming spongy and hard to operate. I am considering trying to clean it to see if that will rectify the problem, however I can not see how to open it. Can it be opened and how do you do it.

As an alternative would you recommend a T4 replacement or changing to a Logitech Harmony Universal 350 Remote Control. Is the Harmony hard to setup?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 Remote Control Repair/Replacement

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05

Sandy B wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 09:39
As an alternative would you recommend a T4 replacement or changing to a Logitech Harmony Universal 350 Remote Control. Is the Harmony hard to setup?
Can't speak with any authority for opening the T4 remote, but I suspect there are some internal clips that you'd need to be careful about damaging when attempting to open one.
Here is an example of the efforts required to get into a T3 remote.

On the Harmony front, I would suggest that you look at a Harmony 650 instead.
The 350 only has physical buttons, and this can place limits on what operations you can logically program onto them. Many buttons can be loaded with with a short or long press action, but you can end up with a non-intuitive mess if you end up loading up the remote with too many "hidden" commands.
This and the fact that the 350 can only be programmed with a single "activity", so it limits the real power of the Harmony line.

The remotes are pretty easy to program. The MyHarmony software is all menu driven and drag/drop. The biggest trick is just finding where to look for all the features.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:49

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05
Sandy B wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 09:39

On the Harmony front, I would suggest that you look at a Harmony 650 instead.

I second that! Love my 650. Have had it for quite a few years (well the model, not the same actual remote), and with the arrival of my V2 I now have 6 devices and 6 activities set up. I was going to delete the Topfield and DP-P1 devices and activities, but thought I would just leave them there in case the V2 ever has a hissy fit and needs to go to Dr Warkus!! Very easy to set up initially, and then just a little bit of time tweaking to get it working exactly how I wanted it. I just hope they don't ever discontinue it!
Regards
Jan

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:04

Jan wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:49
Love my 650. Have had it for quite a few years (well the model, not the same actual remote),
Sadly, that is the issue with the Harmony remotes. They will 'fail' without fail. :wink: The innards near the buttons have that craptastic plastic that over time (generally about 18 months) goes sticky and makes the button presses infuriatingly hard, until you need a hammer to make it work.

Logitech will never fix this, as there is no other remote that has anywhere near the functionality, and they know we will just keep buying replacements. I know there is a workaround involving getting a 'kit', but it's too fiddly for my liking. :(

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:09

Star6key wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:04
Jan wrote:
Love my 650. Have had it for quite a few years (well the model, not the same actual remote),
Sadly, that is the issue with the Harmony remotes. They will 'fail' without fail. :wink: The innards near the buttons have that craptastic plastic that over time (generally about 18 months) goes sticky and makes the button presses infuriatingly hard, until you need a hammer to make it work.

Logitech will never fix this, as there is no other remote that has anywhere near the functionality, and they know we will just keep buying replacements. I know there is a workaround involving getting a 'kit', but it's too fiddly for my liking. :(

Have to say that while the repair kit is fiddly, both my 650s are going strong with the kits installed. Took me about half an hour each to repair.

Hardest part was peeling back the protective film and positioning each of the button replacement films.

Definitely doable for anyone with craft skills.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 22:17

Star6key wrote:

Yeah, they're rubbish but I can't find an alternative and BW aren't selling replacement remotes anymore. I liked the feel of the OneForAll remote but it can't do some of the commands on the T4 or V2.

I don't need anything fancy, prefer larger tactile buttons, even happy to manually program the damn thing.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Jun 09, 2020 09:18

Thanks all for the replies/comments. I have just ordered a Harmony 650, and for some "fun"I will try to repair the old remote upon the arrival of the new remote.

I was a bit shocked that the Harmony could fail in about 18 months, the original T4 remote has lasted me since I bought the T4, which could be 5 or more years ago.

Again thanks all.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jun 09, 2020 09:50

BigbobOz wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 22:17
and BW aren't selling replacement remotes anymore.

They still sell the 'BR-T3' (original T3) remote -
"Replacement Remote control compatible with Beyonwiz T series and U series.

Specifications
Support Models T2, T3, T4 & U4"

https://beyonwiz.com.au/product/beyonwi ... e-control/

Pic - https://beyonwiz.com.au/wp-content/uplo ... 80x480.jpg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 09, 2020 14:05

I prefer the T3 remote to the T4 remote anyway.

And it chews through the batteries less.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 15:28

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:09
Have to say that while the repair kit is fiddly, both my 650s are going strong with the kits installed. Took me about half an hour each to repair.

Hardest part was peeling back the protective film and positioning each of the button replacement films.

I only found out about the kits after I purchased my last 650. I might try one next time the buttons fail. I remember with my very first Harmony (can't remember model and long since discontinued), when the buttons stopped responding I pulled it apart and cleaned it up a bit inside with nail polish remover!! That got me a bit of extra life. I hadn't been able to work out how to get the 650 apart until I saw the instructions of how to use the kits!
Regards
Jan

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 19:09

For the 650 you need a Phillips 000 to remove 6 screws, 2 are hidden under a glued-in insert top rear. Four in the battery compartment.

Peel the insert out carefully. I used a box cutter blade to ease it out.

Two guitar picks to pop it open along one side starting at the battery end. Repeat on the other side. Three more screws to remove the circuit board.

Clean the oily gunk off and install the sticky bits from the kit.

Reassemble and test.
Denon AVR -X2400H

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 09:52

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:09

I repaired my 650 with a kit back in August of last year, buttons are still good as new. Details of this are here for anyone interested:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13526

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 00:50

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 09:50
They still sell the 'BR-T3' (original T3) remote -
"Replacement Remote control compatible with Beyonwiz T series and U series.

Specifications
Support Models T2, T3, T4 & U4"

https://beyonwiz.com.au/product/beyonwi ... e-control/

Pic - https://beyonwiz.com.au/wp-content/uplo ... 80x480.jpg
Really? Hmm I'm sure I tried it with my T4 and T2 and it didn't work...it's at my folks now, I'll try it next time I'm there.

Thanks,
Rob

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 01:01

BigbobOz wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 00:50
Really? Hmm I'm sure I tried it with my T4 and T2 and it didn't work...it's at my folks now, I'll try it next time I'm there.
If your T2 or T4 is set to only hear 0x02f2 remote codes, then it wont work with a T3 remote.

You need to set the T2 and T4 to listen for 0xabcd codes.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 20, 2020 08:20

If your T2 or T4 is set to only hear 0x02f2 remote codes, then it wont work with a T3 remote.

You need to set the T2 and T4 to listen for 0xabcd codes.
I received my 650 and after a few hours of trying to program it I gave up and put it in a draw, I think I must be getting too old for these things. Still using the old T4 remote with some spongy keys, and considering purchasing T3 remote.

1. Does the T3 remote have all the functions/keys of the T4
2. How do you set to listen for Oxabcd codes.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 09:07

Sandy B wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 08:20
1. Does the T3 remote have all the functions/keys of the T4
2. How do you set to listen for Oxabcd codes.
Yes it has all the same functions.

You set the remote control codes through the main menu settings.
MENU->Setup->System->Remote control code setting

Maybe you can post some questions about programming the Harmony in a separate thread and we can get that rubbing for you too. You may just be missing a key bit of info to get that running. They really are quite handy and intuitive once you get them set to to your preference. There is also the matter of understanding the concept of a "device" vs an "activity".

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 20, 2020 09:27

Thanks for the advice regarding the remote and coding.
Maybe you can post some questions about programming the Harmony in a separate thread and we can get that rubbing for you too. You may just be missing a key bit of info to get that running. They really are quite handy and intuitive once you get them set to to your preference. There is also the matter of understanding the concept of a "device" vs an "activity"
I will have to give it another try some rainy day where I can spend a few hours. You are correct the concept of a "device" vs an "activity", is/was causing me problem. I was trying to set it up so it would only control the T4, however I could not even achieve a simple switch-on. As I said I must be getting old and frustration come in very quickly.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32

Anyone thinking of buying a Harmony 650 would probably benefit from doing a search on shopbot. The prices shown range from $68.92 to $132.72.

I'm still plugging along with a Harmony 200, and the keys on that are still functional after about 8-9 years of solid use, but some are definitely getting tired now. I've not seen any repair kit for that, but I have a spare 200 and a 350 somewhere that'll probably keep me going for another 20 years.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:15

Sandy B wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 09:27
You are correct the concept of a "device" vs an "activity", is/was causing me problem. I was trying to set it up so it would only control the T4, however I could not even achieve a simple switch-on. As I said I must be getting old and frustration come in very quickly.

A Harmony remote like the 650 should be able to be used as a switchable single-device remote or as an activity-based remote.

In single-device mode the remote only sends the infrared codes for that device; in activity modes, different buttons send IR codes fto different devices, so you can control the A/V system as a whole without changing between devices.

It's most powerful used as an activity-based remote, because it should turn everything on that you need for the activity (and not any more), and allow you to split up the buttons according to which device the action should be done on.

So on our setup, we have a TV, Home Theatre (HT) system with an FM tuner and BR/DVD player and a Beyonwiz T4.

In Watch PVR mode, it turns all three on, sets the TV to receive video from the HT system, but have audio handled by the HT system and sets the HT system to take HDMI video and audio from the Beyonwiz. The buttons are then set so that the VOL+/- and MUTE buttons send codes for the HT system, and the rest of the buttons send codes to the T4.

It has activities for Watch TV (TV and HT system on, TV getting video from its built-in tuners), Watch DVD/BR (TV and HT system on, TV getting video from from the HT BR/DVD player and audio handled by the HT system), Listen to the radio (only HT system on, and getting audio from its built-in FM tuner).

All in the one remote, and the remote is set up for the activity, not a single device.

The main setup problem I had was that some devices didn't have full coverage of all their buttons, so I had to teach the Harmony the necessary buttons, and the Watch PVR mode didn't give access to all the T4 remote buttons, so I had to add some f them to the mode.

I'm 65 (though I was ~12 years younger when I started using our Harmony 785), but I do have the advantage of a career mostly in IT.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 17:22

prl wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:15
Sandy B wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 09:27
You are correct the concept of a "device" vs an "activity", is/was causing me problem. I was trying to set it up so it would only control the T4, however I could not even achieve a simple switch-on. As I said I must be getting old and frustration come in very quickly.
I'm 65 (though I was ~12 years younger when I started using our Harmony 785), but I do have the advantage of a career mostly in IT.

Well I'm in my 70th year, and a girl to boot!! :lol: :lol: I love my Harmony 650. I have 6 Devices and 6 Activities set up. Since I got my V2 the DP-P1 and Toppy are now redundant, but I have kept their activities on there just in case the V2 has a hissy fit or has to go to see Dr Warkus! I found it very intuitive to set up, with just a bit of tinkering to get it doing exactly what I wanted. So Sandy B, hang in there, take your time and give it another go! But don't feel bad or old about it. My son-in-law actually got me to set up theirs for them. So not an age thing at all. Unlike prl I don't have a career in IT or technology of any sort, but I just love this sort of stuff. When we got the kids their first computer (Commodore 64) around 35 years ago, I was more excited than they were!!!
Regards
Jan

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 18:28

Jan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 17:22
I love my Harmony 650. ... I found it very intuitive to set up, with just a bit of tinkering to get it doing exactly what I wanted.

Our 785 uses the old Java setup app, and while the thing is conceptually fairly straightforward, the app is a horrible thing to use (especially in the dark corners of things like learning codes from the original devices).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 19:31

prl wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 18:28
Our 785 uses the old Java setup app, and while the thing is conceptually fairly straightforward, the app is a horrible thing to use (especially in the dark corners of things like learning codes from the original devices).

I'm pretty sure my first Harmony was a 785. Was that the one that had it's own charging base? And I think the display was a bit more colourful than the 650 if I recall correctly. When it finally died on me, after many times pulling it apart to clean up the buttons, it was no longer available and so I moved on to the 650. Yes, I remember the setup software was a lot different than the 650.
Regards
Jan

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 20, 2020 19:35

Now all of you are starting to make me feel bad. I am 65 years old male never worked in IT but have been using PC computers for 30+ years.

The reason I only wanted 1 activity was that the T4 through CEC already switches the TV on, witches the sound bar on. The sound bar is connected to the TV via an optical cable. This accounts for 90% of my viewing, the only time I use the TV remote is to switch the TV off. The Apple TV is viewed via the T4's HDMI-in, which is switched on and controlled via it's remote control. DVD's are played via a portable disc drive attached to the T4 via a usd. Sound is controlled via the T4's volume adjustment.

So you can see I really require only a very simple installation, however I will try again sometime.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 09:30

At nearly 67 another sexagenariun. Engineering is my thing. The Harmony people really force you to learn about Activities before it becomes usable.

In my case, I let the activity Watch TV turn on everything rather than CEC. Then I added devices. Then I tried it out to find out what worked and what didn't. I quickly found that getting the volume controls right was an exercise in masochism but eventually I mastered the beast. After redesignating the large rocker to control the Wiz volume I got the level of control I desired.

Getting every button on every device right really added to effort required. As prl notes, this is one of the worst tasks to perform on Harmony remotes.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sun Jun 21, 2020 09:57

At nearly 67 another sexagenariun. Engineering is my thing.
At nearly 66 another sexagenariun, engineering (civil) was my thing.
I quickly found that getting the volume controls right was an exercise in masochism
Masochism is the last thing I need, however I appreciate your advice

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06

Feels like this is getting a bit off topic but at 64 it is making me feel younger! :D
Cheers
Gully

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 14:28

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 09:30
Getting every button on every device right really added to effort required. As prl notes, this is one of the worst tasks to perform on Harmony remotes.

I quickly found that while my old Harmony 525 would turn on all of my devices, they didn't necessarily do so in the right order (for handshakes) and sometimes the IR beam would not reach one or two of the devices resulting in some devices switching on and some still off. As I recall the on/off switches on most devices were power toggles so when I went to an activity to switch everything off some devices switched off, some switched on. Rather than reducing the number of remote handsets I instead found myself with one extra that was just giving me a headache.

No doubt I could have ironed out the problems by adjusting lines of sight for the IR signals, but instead ended up with a Harmony 200 to control my HTPCs and stuck with supplied remotes for other devices. The Harmony 200 is well and truly obsolete now but it looks like the 350 is still available. While very limited in activity functionality it's enduring advantage for me is much longer battery life because there is no display.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 14:56

Gully wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06
Feels like this is getting a bit off topic but at 64 it is making me feel younger! :D

Lucky you! :wink: I'm feeling like a dinosaur!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Jan

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2020 18:26

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 14:28
and sometimes the IR beam would not reach one or two of the devices resulting in some devices switching on and some still off.
While the Harmony Elite is very pricey, it was money well spent in my opinion. The IR beam is emitted from a fixed base station, so you can ensure everything is always in the IR line of sight. You can also hold the remote up to your eyes in case you are wanting to engage any less familiar keystrokes. I'd actually bought it originally for the Bluetooth support, but the rest was just gravy.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Jun 21, 2020 19:17

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 18:26
While the Harmony Elite is very pricey, it was money well spent in my opinion. The IR beam is emitted from a fixed base station, so you can ensure everything is always in the IR line of sight. You can also hold the remote up to your eyes in case you are wanting to engage any less familiar keystrokes. I'd actually bought it originally for the Bluetooth support, but the rest was just gravy.
Totally agree though fortunately I bought mine on special for just under $200.

I've had a few Harmony models over the years and still think they are the best option.
Cheers
Gully

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sun Jun 21, 2020 19:39

MrQuade wrote:
While the Harmony Elite is very pricey, it was money well spent in my opinion.
It only has half the buttons of the 650. :roll: Ripoff!
Completely useless for me as I use the 650 to control my PC with a HP media center ir receiver. Besides, I like throwing away money every 18 months when I have to replace the 650 because of the dodgy buttons. :lol:

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2020 20:31

Star6key wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 19:39

It only has half the buttons of the 650. :roll: Ripoff!
Completely useless for me as I use the 650 to control my PC with a HP media center ir receiver.
The Elite will control your htpc just as easily as any other IR device.

The Elite only lacks the number keypad from the other remotes, and I can honestly say I have never missed the number keys. You can still access the numbers from the LCD touchscreen if they are really needed anyway.
Last edited by MrQuade on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 22:36

MrQuade wrote:

My Scottish gene got in the way of considering this beauty.

Star6key wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 19:39
Besides, I like throwing away money every 18 months when I have to replace the 650 because of the dodgy buttons. :lol:

What if the Elite suffers from the same malady?

Whatever folks, we rely on your purchases of upmarket Harmony remotes to keep Logitech in business., and My Harmony online for reprogramming the cheapos when necessary.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2020 22:52

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 22:36
What if the Elite suffers from the same malady?
My harmony ultimate has been in service for several years without any sign of problems to date.

The elite is only a couple of years old and also looking fine.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:26

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 20:31
The Ellie will control your htpc ...

Is Ellie a friend of Trevor's? ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:32

prl wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:26
Is Ellie a friend of Trevor's? ;)
Must be! He's been keeping her a secret!

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:47

Star6key wrote:
Jan wrote:

Well that didn't take long... another one bites the dust. :(
It's funny how the colour keys always seem to be the first to go. Having a look at the current prices for the 650... it seems some stores are on crack. JB Hifi, Officeworks and The Good Guys are trying to flog them off for $129 :shock:
MSY have it at $65, but they only have one in stock in a Vic store... pass. Best I could do is $79 delivered from the logitech store through Amazon.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 01, 2020 20:05

Star6key wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:47

It's funny how the colour keys always seem to be the first to go.
Are you still using them for skipping? I don't think those ones are designed for high duty usage ;)

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Thu Jul 02, 2020 00:55

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 20:05
Star6key wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:47

It's funny how the colour keys always seem to be the first to go.
Are you still using them for skipping? I don't think those ones are designed for high duty usage ;)
You make it sound as if the internal components are made by expert craftsmen who hand fashion each part for a specific use and have individual tolerances so that they give the user the ultimate ... wait, what... where am I? :roll:

Red -1m, Green +3m, Yellow (can't be changed/used for some bizarre reason), Blue +30sec.
Last edited by Star6key on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 02, 2020 00:59

Star6key wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 00:55
You make it sound as if the internal components are made by expert craftsmen who hand fashion each part for a specific use and have individual tolerances so that they give the user the ultimate ... wait, what... where am I? :roll:
No, but the coloured buttons are itty bitty little things, and the arrow buttons are big and would be less subject to being pushed on an angle. The physical dimensions of the buttons play a big part in how they wear.

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 14:08

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 20:05

Interesting! I had always used the coloured buttons for skipping on the Toppy, and now I think about it, it probably was those buttons that seemed to fail. Maybe now my 650 will last a bit longer!! Fingers crossed!! :lol: :lol:
Regards
Jan

Return to “General Discussion”