ICE Alternatives or Workarounds

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Barboots
Master

ICE Alternatives or Workarounds

Post by Barboots » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:07

I've read the discussion in the Tx Series area of the forum regarding contingencies for if/when ICE TV ceases to operate, but I gather that much of what's being said is not relevant to the DP Series. I just looked at the network EPG and it's not as bad as I recalled... I think my prejudice was based on that box of horrors called the TF7000HD. That said, I've got one of my Beyonwiz in a cabinet and don't often access it directly, only using it to play recordings over the network... so that arrangement is dead in the water if/when ICE TV goes down.

So the million dollar question is, are there any methods I can utilise short of relocating the unit so it's more directly accessible? ie: is there any way of remotely scheduling recordings on a DP-P1 or DP-P2 remotely?

Also, is the demise of ICE TV a major hit to all PVRs? Do all units rely on the FTA EPG or ICE TV only?

Cheers,
Steve

prl
Wizard God

Re: ICE Alternatives or Workarounds

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:20

Barboots wrote:I've read the discussion in the Tx Series area of the forum regarding contingencies for if/when ICE TV ceases to operate, but I gather that much of what's being said is not relevant to the DP Series.
I don't think that anything much in that discussion is relevant to the DP series. Without IceTV, it's the broadcast EPG and fixed repeating timers only on the DPs. If the IceTV EPG services finish, it will bring forward the time when I turn off the DPs that have been serving as backup recorders for our T4, because it will just be too much bother to keep their recording timers up-to-date.
Barboots wrote:So the million dollar question is, are there any methods I can utilise short of relocating the unit so it's more directly accessible? ie: is there any way of remotely scheduling recordings on a DP-P1 or DP-P2 remotely?
There was a user-contributed system for remotely programming the DPs from a Web browser, but it getting it up and running was not a trivial matter. I'm not even sure now where you could even get it. Try searching the forum for wizremote.
Barboots wrote:Also, is the demise of ICE TV a major hit to all PVRs? Do all units rely on the FTA EPG or ICE TV only? ...
They're the most widely available. The Freeview EPG (the original MHEG-5 one) was only ever available on a small number of boxes and it will be switched off in November 2017.

AFAIK, the Freeview Plus EPG is only available on Freeview Plus certified devices. Currently there is exactly one model so certified, according to the Freeview Web pages.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Barboots
Master

Post by Barboots » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:30

Thanks Peter. It looks like it is time for me to throw some money on home entertainment gear and/or subscription service. I have "modest wants" and have been really happy with the two Beyonwiz I bought cheaply, however I'm not sure I can handle dredging the EPG or TV guide for stuff I want to watch!

Cheers,
Steve

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:54

Did you get the recent email from the IceTV administrators about the possibility that a new company may take over the IceTV services?

It's possible that it could keep going, but you'd lose any subscription you've already paid.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Barboots
Master

Post by Barboots » Tue Oct 13, 2015 01:20

Yes... I'm just making a plan in case no one picks it up, or I can't swallow the price increase and repeat payment. When I bought the 4 year subscription a year and a bit ago I thought that would see out the devices lifespan, or the arrival of NBN. Unfortunately that's a slow train coming to these parts...

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 13:20

You're not the only one disappointed to see your multi year subscription go up in smoke. :(

Already there's errors in the guides downloaded... midday movie on 7, icetv says repeat of xfactor.

Return to “Ice TV”