New TV Channels Coming Soon...

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanSav
Uber Wizard

New TV Channels Coming Soon...

Post by IanSav » Wed Oct 28, 2015 20:15

Hi All,

Just a quick heads up on some channel changes coming up soon...

The Nine Network Australia will be adding a new channel called "Nine Life" in November. This is going to be on LCN 94 (I believe). I don't know what is happening to "Extra" (or "Extra 2" for that matter). This is going to be a lifestyle and reality TV channel.

I also believe that 9HD is coming back as a simulcast of the main LCN 9. I don't know what this means for GEM.

Some time in 2016 Nine will be ditching 9JumpIn and replacing it with a live streaming service of all their channels called 9Now.

SBS will also be adding a new channel in November. I don't know the name but it is going to be some sort of food channel.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv ... 7585845615
http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-an ... kkv3p.html

Regards,
Ian.

craigh
Wizard

Re: New TV Channels Coming Soon...

Post by craigh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 05:52

Can't see the value of simulcast any more.

When dtv started and there was a lack of available HD capable boxes it may have made sense but what is the reason now ?
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 05:59

Hi,

Can't wait for this one:
Hey Hey It’s Saturday’s Daryl Somers will return to Nine with the new entertainment show, You’re Back In the Room.

Based on the UK game show, contestants will battle it out for cash prizes while being under the power of hypnotism.

Oh Daryl, how could you? :oops:

Hopefully 9 on HD means Cricket will be too. What will they do if it runs over time? Last year it went to GEM. Wonder if it'll be 1920x1080?

dRdoS7

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 06:44

craigh wrote:Can't see the value of simulcast any more.

When dtv started and there was a lack of available HD capable boxes it may have made sense but what is the reason now ?
There's still lots of people who have non HD TVs and boxes. Maybe ones they passed to parents or in kids rooms, second TVs etc.
Beyonwiz T4

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 29, 2015 07:15

Cricket? In HD? You just need a simple battery powered transistor radio for cricket!

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 07:20

peteru wrote:Cricket? In HD? You just need a simple battery powered transistor radio for cricket!
And half a coconut shell
Beyonwiz T4

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12

peteru wrote:Cricket? In HD? You just need a simple battery powered transistor radio for cricket!
You don't even need to put the battery in :lol:
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

mac37
Apprentice

Post by mac37 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:10

Trouble with a radio is that you can't watch the grass grow !!
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
Linden 65” UHD LED LCD TV

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20

"....and rain stopped play.." PLEASE
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

jazza
Master

Post by jazza » Thu Oct 29, 2015 14:07

Mmmmmarvellous...

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 16:52

:D :D
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

Chuckles
Master

Post by Chuckles » Thu Oct 29, 2015 20:24

jazza wrote:

Mmmmmarvellous...

Good one Richie... :lol:

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:41

I will be overseas when these changes occur. Will the updates be applied automatically or would I have to scan channels again? Am I best to remove my Favourite bouquet and use the Terristrial TV LCN so I can record to new channels whilst away?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:44

Hi Trial_Master,

I am not sure how the new channels will be organised so it is difficult to predict what will be required.

Regards,
Ian.

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Fri Oct 30, 2015 19:49

I just hope the quality of their HD sports broadcasts are better than what they produced for the NRL Grand Final. While it was HD, it certainly didn't have the same image quality of 7HD's AFL Grand Final or even their recent NFL broadcasts.
I love my Toppy, but now I want one of these! Scratch that... now I've got one!

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Fri Oct 30, 2015 21:13

Will the T4 pick up the channel changes when I'm away or will I have issues until I get back and scan the channels?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 30, 2015 23:05

Hi Trial_Master,

See my previous answer to this question.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 30, 2015 23:07

Hi Celicasx,
celicasx wrote:I just hope the quality of their HD sports broadcasts are better than what they produced for the NRL Grand Final. While it was HD, it certainly didn't have the same image quality of 7HD's AFL Grand Final or even their recent NFL broadcasts.
In some discussions I had today (with friends NOT Channel 9 sources) it is possible that some of the channels may move to MPEG4. If this is done quality of those channels could be significantly improved while using similar or less bandwidth.

Regards,
Ian.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Sat Oct 31, 2015 07:59

IanSav wrote:Hi Trial_Master,

See my previous answer to this question.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian. Maybe I'm best to set the bouquet back to default?

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 09:12

Trial_Master wrote:See my Will the T4 pick up the channel changes when I'm away or will I have issues until I get back and scan the channels?
My understanding is that the Tx does background scanning for channel changes but only when on the specific service. I'm not sure if that means it will add new channels. Either way, it might need something like epgrefrsh to put it into each channel.

Hiwever, by remote recording, do you mean through icetv or remote openwebif access. If you have remote access through openwebif, you can use the full remote to access the menu and run a full scan as if you were there.
Beyonwiz T4

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Sat Oct 31, 2015 09:26

simoncasey wrote:
Trial_Master wrote:See my Will the T4 pick up the channel changes when I'm away or will I have issues until I get back and scan the channels?
My understanding is that the Tx does background scanning for channel changes but only when on the specific service. I'm not sure if that means it will add new channels. Either way, it might need something like epgrefrsh to put it into each channel.

Hiwever, by remote recording, do you mean through icetv or remote openwebif access. If you have remote access through openwebif, you can use the full remote to access the menu and run a full scan as if you were there.
I have ice running for timers currently but have access to openwebif on my routers VPN. Thanks for info on remote scanning, that's cool. So fiddling with T4 I'm in the Channel List Context menu is the Reload Services option the one to rescan the channels?

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:35

As IanSav mentions, It's not entirely clear what will change and whether anything will be needed. The key thing while you are away is that you can use OpenWebIF to sort out anything using the full remote. You will probably also need to configure icetv to send the new channels.
Beyonwiz T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:43

simoncasey wrote:... You will probably also need to configure icetv to send the new channels.
I would have expected that to happen automatically for any new channels that they have an EPG for. I'm not sure, though, because my only recent addition, betting.com, sorry, racing.com, doesn't have an IceTV EPG.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:09

simoncasey wrote:The key thing while you are away is that you can use OpenWebIF to sort out anything using the full remote.
Yeah that's neat. Appreciate you pointing that out. I will have to fiddle around with OpenWebIF I have clearly missed some of its features.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:35

prl wrote:
simoncasey wrote:... You will probably also need to configure icetv to send the new channels.
I would have expected that to happen automatically for any new channels that they have an EPG for. I'm not sure, though, because my only recent addition, betting.com, sorry, racing.com, doesn't have an IceTV EPG.
I was thinking about the icetv table where you assign a icetv channel to an "LCN" on the pvr. That may may not be configured correctly. I remember there is/was an issue for the duplicate channels where you have to select the lowest LCN to get it to work with the T3. That may be an issue depending on what happens to 9HD and what other channels you have. But I'm just guessing now and saying that there's a few things to do.
Beyonwiz T4

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:36

Trial_Master wrote:
simoncasey wrote:The key thing while you are away is that you can use OpenWebIF to sort out anything using the full remote.
Yeah that's neat. Appreciate you pointing that out. I will have to fiddle around with OpenWebIF I have clearly missed some of its features.
The full remote basically simulates sitting in front of the UI and you get to see the menu as it operates.
Beyonwiz T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:40

simoncasey wrote:
Trial_Master wrote:
The full remote basically simulates sitting in front of the UI and you get to see the menu as it operates.
It is, however, rather slow to respond. But at least you can usually "click ahead" if you know exactly what sequence of button presses are needed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Sat Oct 31, 2015 21:04

prl wrote:
simoncasey wrote:
Trial_Master wrote:
It is, however, rather slow to respond. But at least you can usually "click ahead" if you know exactly what sequence of button presses are needed.
I agree it is a bit slow but having the access is pretty cool. I was watching ABC News tonight recorded on T4 and watching on DP-H1. Trying to forward .ts file was not a good experience. If I purchased a T2 would that solve the issue? I would like to get cheapest version would $299 with no HDD be ok? I don't need to record it's purely to view recordings off T4.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Oct 31, 2015 21:30

The T2 will play a .ts file from a T4 just as well as the T4 will play its own files. The DP series has a little trouble with the T series .ts recording files for some reason.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Sat Oct 31, 2015 21:35

Cool thanks for info. I'll grab $299 T2 with no HDD

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 02, 2015 21:53

Hi,

It looks like "SBS 3" on LCN-33 is soon (17-Nov-2015 at 13:00) to be history and be replaced by "Food Network" on the same LCN.

Regards,
Ian.

jazza
Master

Post by jazza » Thu Nov 05, 2015 05:40

WEB Remote TIP: The web GUI is slow using the defaults but if you click 'take GUI screenshot' then change it from 30sec to 2 or 3 seconds it is easier to skip through key presses easily much faster (particularly if home on the LAN).

I only heard about racing.com recently and when I looked in my default terrestrial bouquet it was already there and I haven't rescanned/returned in ages so yes new channels will appear/update in the background but until you add them to your favourite/usual bouquet and/or edit/update your auto timers you may not see the channels and/or have recordings work correctly.

That's why I like to try to apply a favourites bouquet filter rather than a per channel filter if I can.

This behaviour is without ICEtv so mileage may vary.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Nov 11, 2015 19:30

Hi,

SBS, in Melbourne at least, has restructured its channels to rename "SBS 3" to "Food Network". The LCN of 33 is unchanged. At the moment they appear to be running a promotional loop for the upcoming programming.

The new channel is standard MPEG-2 at this time. The Classic models appear to see the new channel but haven't updated the name (a manual rename fixed that). The T series units picked up the change. So far I have noted no apparent issues.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 16, 2015 16:12

Hi All,

I just spoke with Channel 9 and have some good news for Classic Beyonwiz owners. The new 9HD channel will be using AC3 audio and not HE-AAC so all older model Beyonwiz units should be able to record *AND* playback the new 9HD transmissions.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 16, 2015 17:08

IanSav wrote: I just spoke with Channel 9 and have some good news for Classic Beyonwiz owners.
Cool, thanks for checking that and thanks for the heads-up.

It's also good news for T series owners too. We will retain the ability to send multi-channel audio to our sound equipment. Of course, that's for any true multichannel content, as-per discussion in this thread.

DaveJ
Apprentice

Post by DaveJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 17:29

IanSav wrote:Hi All,

I just spoke with Channel 9 and have some good news for Classic Beyonwiz owners. The new 9HD channel will be using AC3 audio and not HE-AAC so all older model Beyonwiz units should be able to record *AND* playback the new 9HD transmissions.

Regards,
Ian.
Thank you for the advice, Ian.

When you spoke with Nine, did they indicate if they were planning to broadcasting 5.1 AC3 or just stereo AC3 (as 73 here in Perth does)?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Nov 19, 2015 22:01

Hi Davej,
DaveJ wrote:When you spoke with Nine, did they indicate if they were planning to broadcasting 5.1 AC3 or just stereo AC3 (as 73 here in Perth does)?
When I found out that they were going AC3 I didn't ask and they didn't offer any further details.

Regards,
Ian.

DaveJ
Apprentice

Post by DaveJ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 16:17

IanSav wrote:Hi Davej,
When I found out that they were going AC3 I didn't ask and they didn't offer any further details.
Ah. OK. Thanks.

I guess I'll just have to "wait and see" - like everybody else. :)

Kai Chatfield
On probation

Post by Kai Chatfield » Fri Nov 20, 2015 23:34

Wow, want that thing with 2 hdd too.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Nov 26, 2015 06:47

Hi All,

Channel 9 in Melbourne switched over to the new channels about 3AM this morning. I am pleased to report that after a rescan both the my Classic series (DP-S1) and my T Series (T3 and T4) units have no issues with any of the new channels including 9HD which is reported as a 1920x1080 signal with an AC3 5.1 audio track!

Regards,
Ian.

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Thu Nov 26, 2015 09:28

IanSav wrote:AC3 5.1 audio track!
Just out of interest, where do you see in the T4 that it's 5.1? The Audio menu just shows AC3 English and the Info bar shows Dolby Digital.

Steve

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50

Hi Steve
stevebow wrote:Just out of interest, where do you see in the T4 that it's 5.1? The Audio menu just shows AC3 English and the Info bar shows Dolby Digital.
That information came out of my DVB analyser. I am not sure if they simply use Dolby Digital 5.1 as a synonym for AC3 or that they test for 6 channels of audio. Keep in mind that just because the audio stream identifies as AC3 and that it may be defined to have all 6 channels it doesn't mean that all those channels are all being used!

Regards,
Ian.

DaveJ
Apprentice

Post by DaveJ » Thu Nov 26, 2015 14:12

stevebow wrote:
IanSav wrote:AC3 5.1 audio track!
Just out of interest, where do you see in the T4 that it's 5.1? The Audio menu just shows AC3 English and the Info bar shows Dolby Digital.

Steve
Just re-scanned my PVRs.

For Perth, 9HD works on an S1, P1 and P2. My amps report they are receiving 5.1 channels from that station (Dolby digital, AC3 5.1). Given it's the "Morning show" I've no idea if Nine will actually constructively use those "surround channels" in the future though.

Dave

muzza
Apprentice

Post by muzza » Fri Mar 11, 2016 08:46

Hi everyone.
I have a DP-P1, I just re-scanned this week to get all the new channels and none of the new channels above channel 350 have any EPG data.

Also, the old ABC channels are now glitching a lot, making it unwatchable.

The new channels seem to be working fine, but with no EPG data, it makes changing channels a long, tedious process.

Do I have to update the firmware or something?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 11, 2016 09:10

muzza wrote:Hi everyone.
I have a DP-P1, I just re-scanned this week to get all the new channels and none of the new channels above channel 350 have any EPG data.

Also, the old ABC channels are now glitching a lot, making it unwatchable.

The new channels seem to be working fine, but with no EPG data, it makes changing channels a long, tedious process.

Do I have to update the firmware or something?
If you have non-glitchy channels in the 350+ range, it means you are receiving signal from multiple transmitters. Anything above 350 is a duplicate channel. You may need to clear your services and do some selective scanning so that the stronger transmitter is used instead. It sounds like the weaker transmitter has been added as the main transmitter, and the stronger one as the duplicate.

Are you using the FTA EPG or the Ice guide?

muzza
Apprentice

Post by muzza » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:06

FTA.

muzza
Apprentice

Post by muzza » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:08

I've upgraded the firmware using warkus' DPP1 firmware and the glitching is now happening on other channels as well as the ABC/SBS channels.
Still no FTA EPG on the channels over 350.

MrQuade,
"If you have non-glitchy channels in the 350+ range, it means you are receiving signal from multiple transmitters. Anything above 350 is a duplicate channel. You may need to clear your services and do some selective scanning so that the stronger transmitter is used instead. It sounds like the weaker transmitter has been added as the main transmitter, and the stronger one as the duplicate."

How do I tell which service has the stronger transmitter?

The channels in the 350+ range are no use to me without an EPG.

EDIT: I just tried to do a partial service scan and the channels available are only showing 6 to 69.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25

muzza wrote: How do I tell which service has the stronger transmitter?
You can tune to each channel, then press the OPTION button on the remote (from memory, or is it the POPUP button?). That should display a range of statistics for that channel, including signal strength and signal quality.

muzza
Apprentice

Post by muzza » Fri Mar 18, 2016 13:27

All sorted. Big thanks to Warkus for talking me through it. The frequencies had changed, but the authorities obviously thought the beyonwiz would sort it out for me...

Lucky I've also got a Toppy to ascertain the correct frequencies.

Return to “Digital TV”