beyonwiz connection to Satelite Receiver

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Warren Milner

Post by Warren Milner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 15:00

Hello Support.

We live in the country and have an Altech DSD4121 High Definition Satelite Receiver which works great. (VAST Certified.)

When we retired and moved from Perth to Narembeen West Aust 6369 we already had and brought with us a Beyonwiz Model DP-P1 PVR.

The problem is that we would like to get the Satelite Receiver to talk to the Beyonwiz so we can use it again. Is this possible?

The Beyonwiz support people think that the PVR can only work with an antenna. .

Jaycar sold us a powered TV Modulator to go between the Altech Satelite Receiver and the Beyonwiz via a yellow (video) red and white (audio) cables and a antenna in but we cannot get this to scan and work.

Have you any suggestions.

Regards
Warren milner

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 15:09

A DP-P1 can only receive DTV-B digital broadcasts. None of the devices that matched a search for "tv modulator" on the Jaycar web pages will work the way you want them to. They're all analog TV modulators. I suggest you try to return it to Jaycar for a refund.

The only way to get the DP-P1 to record from analog inputs is to use a Beyonwiz LiDiC.

This is a user forum, not an official Beyonwiz support channel. However, there are some pretty knowledgeable forum members, including Beyonwiz beta testers. If you want Beyonwiz support, look here.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Warren Milner

beyonwiz connection to Digital Satelite Receiver

Post by Warren Milner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:19

Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply to my technical question.

You talk about DP-P1 not being able to record from analog inputs. I don't want to record from analogue inputs. The Satelite signal from the dish is a digital input. That is the connection I want to make. Am i mis-reading your reply.

Regards
Warren

prl
Wizard God

Re: beyonwiz connection to Digital Satelite Receiver

Post by prl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07

Warren Milner wrote:Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply to my technical question.

You talk about DP-P1 not being able to record from analog inputs. I don't want to record from analogue inputs. The Satelite signal from the dish is a digital input. That is the connection I want to make. Am i mis-reading your reply.

Regards
Warren
It's hard to work out from your description just what connections you made, but the yellow video and red & white audio connectors are analog. Those connectors on a DP-P1 are outputs, not inputs. There's no input on a DP-P1 to connect those video and audio connectors on the satellite box to.

If you connect the satellite box analog outputs to the Jaycar modulator, you could sent its output to the antenna input of an analog TV or VCR, but the Beyonwiz can't use the modulated analog signal on its antenna input. It should be able to detect that the signal is there, but it can't decode it to record or send on to its TV output connectors.

Beyonwizes can't decode digital satellite signals from the satellite antenna. The broadcast frequencies are different from what the Beyonwiz can handle, and it would also need copy protection hardware to even start to work with the digital signals from the satellite antenna. It doesn't have that copy protection decoder hardware.

Probably the only way to do what you want to do is to get a DP-P2 instead of the P1, or add a LiDiC to the DP-P1 (the DP-P2 effectively has a LiDiC built in). The alternative, if it exists, is to get a satellite receiver that can record from your satellite provider
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Wed Jun 13, 2012 18:25

Hi Warren,

On a recent holiday I was looking at an economical way to record from my brother’s Altech DSD4121 at his home in Victoria, so I have an idea what you are trying to achieve.

You may already be aware of this; the Altech DSD4121 has an upgrade option here to allow recording to these supported hard disk drives (1TB usable maximum). The ‘Download Manual’ link has more information on the PVR option.
I think the firmware containing the PVR option has been uploaded to the DSD4121s, the PVR option just needs activating & the new remote control purchased along with a supported external hard disk drive for it to work.
CrazySTU lists the PVR upgrade kit for the DSD4121 here.

From what I can tell, the upgrade kit appears to be FreeView restricted (minimum of 10min forward skip & won’t allow recordings to be played back on a PC). In addition to that the DSD4121 only has a single tuner so it will only record one show at a time.

As Peter (prl) mentioned, using a Beyonwiz LiDiC with your DP-P1, or a DP-P2, may be another alternative (connect from the analogue yellow composite video output & the analogue red and white audio outputs on the DSD4121 to the composite & audio LiDiC or DP-P2 inputs for recording). You would need to leave the DSD4121 turned on with the appropriate channel selected so the Beyonwiz PVR could record the correct incoming signal via the composite input.
I haven’t tried this but unless the DSD4121 does something to prevent the Beyonwiz replaying the recording correctly I can’t see why it won’t work (my brother’s DSD4121 doesn’t have the PVR option activated yet & he originally had the composite output connected to the TV’s composite input for viewing).
If either of the two Beyonwiz options work in conjunction with the DSD4121 you would still be restricted by the single tuner in the DSD4121 & you would only be recording in standard definition, but you should be able to have normal skip functions on the Beyonwiz PVR.
Having said that I haven’t tried any of this & there may be some other restriction that would prevent this from working as expected, or something I haven’t thought of that would make recording to the Beyonwiz from the DSD4121 not worth the trouble. It’s a pity the DSD4121 wasn’t a twin tuner unit & didn’t have some of the FreeView restrictions.

One thing you may not be aware of; on the DSD4121 both the composite & component outputs will only output in standard definition (normally component will output in high definition as well as standard definition) - to output in high definition (& standard definition) the HDMI output must be used.
Last edited by sub3R on Wed Jun 13, 2012 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 18:31

sub3R wrote:...
You may already be aware of this; the Altech DSD4121 has an upgrade option here to allow recording to these supported hard disk drives (1TB usable maximum). ...
That'd be the way I'd go with this, and either put the Beyonwiz into storage if your move to Narembeen is temporary, or perhaps sell it to help finance the upgrade of the Altech :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Warren Milner

Post by Warren Milner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 16:41

Thanks Guys for all your help. I will give the Beyonwiz LIdIc a go
Regards
Warren

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu Jun 14, 2012 18:03

Warren, have a read of this post by IanB about the aspect ratio problem with the LiDiC.
This was in response to a question I asked yesterday about recording from a VCR to a DP-S1 running 01.05.350 f/w via a LiDiC.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

Return to “Digital TV”