What happened to "24"?

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

arthurbach4
Master

What happened to "24"?

Post by arthurbach4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44

Did anyone else set the timer recording to nab "24" last night only to discover that "Criminal McPherson" and "Desperate Housewives" had abducted Jack Bower?

Pete.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59

You were on the wrong channel for a start. 24 was only going to be on SD last night (grr moan damn Sieben pulling a Ten tactic removing our fave shows off HD, read this thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=75311 ). But there was a scrolling banner at the end of Bones to say that due to the fires, they would have a special news report and as such, 24 would not be on. I found this a bit stupid, they put on the "Air Crash Investigations" after the news (which was meant to be after 24) but it was a repeat, buggered why they did that and didn't just scratch the repeated Air Crash prog instead!?
Tony

arthurbach4
Master

Post by arthurbach4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:21

Hmmm, 24 was on HD last week and you would think that a fairly high profile show starting at 9.30pm WOULD be on the HD channel (as opposed to 10.30pm and onwards where it's anyone's guess).

I see that the next episode is on next at Sunday at 10.30pm (on both SD and HD). Also, according to yourtv.com.au, it will be the episode AFTER the one that should have aired last night.

Thank goodness for torrents is all I can say.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28

I wouldn't torrent it yet, surely Seven hasn't updated their schedule yet to slot the missing ep in. I know it should be HD, but if you read that thread, Seven is screwing HD up totally all of a sudden with Lost, 24 etc moving to SD for some eps!
I looked at a few guides last night trying to see if *anyone* was keeping up with the changes with the news hours slotted in (as ICE was all over the shop too) and even Sevens guide didn't show the right info. I wonder if TiVo owners got an accurate EPG (this was supposedly one of the selling points of TiVo... I bet they got the same garbage EPG that ICE & half the online guides were showing with 24 on both SD and HD).
Desperate Housewives was on HD as you found.
Here is another one to look at about 24 (I think the link is in the thread I linked before, but in case it isn't: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/category/programming ).
Regards
Tony

download
Guru

Post by download » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:57

Missed the second half of City Homicide with standard padding. I managed to set 24 to have 4 hours padding but that seems to have been in vein.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

duke
Master

Post by duke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 15:32

yourtv has it being on next Sunday. Says it's episode 11am to 12pm. Was the first double ep 8am-10am?

whatgift
Apprentice

Post by whatgift » Mon Feb 09, 2009 20:09

Actually, I found IceTV to be good in this instance, since my original 24 HD recording had suddenly changed to Desperate Housewives, I looked a little closer, and noticed that 24 was no longer on HD in my area.
I've changed my series recording to an SD one, since my TV doesn't really benefit from the extra resolution anyway (although I think the sound is crisper/punchier), and there won't be any risk of missing my show this way.
I don't think any guide is going to be able to update changes at the late notice that the bushfires reports were being scheduled, especially since the networks themselves would've been scrambling to change everything. Remember the changes made to programming after the September 11 attacks in 2001?
Sometimes theres nothing you can do about these program changes, we can't really blame the stations or the guide makers in my opinion.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Feb 09, 2009 20:57

Hi Whatgift,

The EPG data should be derived directly from the play-out systems used by the TV stations. If it goes to air then it is updated in the EPG automatically.

I noticed that the extended news on Channel 7 tonight did cause the EPG to update and reflect the modified programming. It obviously is possible to be done.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 23:00

whatgift wrote:Actually, I found IceTV to be good in this instance, since my original 24 HD recording had suddenly changed to Desperate Housewives, I looked a little closer, and noticed that 24 was no longer on HD in my area.
I've changed my series recording to an SD one, since my TV doesn't really benefit from the extra resolution anyway (although I think the sound is crisper/punchier), and there won't be any risk of missing my show this way.
I don't think any guide is going to be able to update changes at the late notice that the bushfires reports were being scheduled, especially since the networks themselves would've been scrambling to change everything. Remember the changes made to programming after the September 11 attacks in 2001?
Sometimes theres nothing you can do about these program changes, we can't really blame the stations or the guide makers in my opinion.
I reckon you're giving the TV stations too much credit here. It's not compassion or dedicated reporting, but ratings pressure that is causing most of the changes. That's certainly the case with the delayed cricket debacle in Brisbane yesterday - all about channel 7 not getting a jump on 9 news.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Return to “Digital TV”