Pvr and samsung smart tv

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stanB

Pvr and samsung smart tv

Post by stanB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 13:18

Hi All.

I recently purchased a Samsung RU7100 smart tv giving my Panasonic to my daughter.

I have been using a Beyonwiz DP lite for many years on the panasonic. i even have 2 refurbished lites I got for $75 each couple of years ago as backups.
I have been searching for a week to find out why the Pvr wont work with the new tv. finally came across a discussion by PRL on here re this problem.

My question to all is DO any beyonwiz PVRs work with this smart tv or does anyone know if another brand of pvr would?

watching ads is driving us crazy already.

many thanks StanB

prl
Wizard God

Re: Pvr and samsung smart tv

Post by prl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:19

stanB wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 13:18
finally came across a discussion by PRL on here re this problem.

It would help if you posted a link to the discussion, unless it's Problems using HDMI ARC with a new LG OLED TV.

But that's specifically about using the Audio Return Channel (ARC) between the TV and our Sony BDV-9200W home theatre system. That problem doesn't involve the Beyonwiz. It's even normally switched off when I want to use ARC. I also mentioned in that topic that component video connections between our LG OLED55C9PTA and the Beyonwiz T4 (not a DP series device) don't work reliably.

If it's not that topic, "a post by prl" isn't very specific. If you look at my number of posts, it's rather large :)

"Doesn't work" is a pretty broad description. It might be useful to say which model TV you have, what firmware you have on the DP-Lite, how the two are connected, and a little bit more information about the problem than "doesn't work". Some description of what you've tried to get it to work may also help.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

stanB

Post by stanB » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot find the thread where i saw your comment re "the DP series PVR s wont work with smart tvs."
I had been searching whirlpool, stereo .net, and this forum.I know it was a post from 2018 sorry!

i have been using a DP lite one of the originals from discussions on the old DTV forum
i have never updated firmware it has never missed a beat since new.

The samsung tv I have is a RU 7100 series 7 i did not want a smart tv ,but niether HN, Good guys, JB HIFi had one in 60 or 65
all were smart sets. I purchases samsung as it was $500 off for a week. price now $1.795

Connected lite via Hdmi in Hdmi 1.. when pressing source button on remote comes up as "Unknown"
have tried different inputs. same results.

I have looked at getting another PVR Beyonwiz V2 ..or any other brand that will work.with a smart tv.. same question from my previous post.

I just want to record and watch all programs from the PVR as before.

I am 71and not savvy on these things ,always relied on the threads from old DTV forum

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02

stanB wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38
I cannot find the thread where i saw your comment re "the DP series PVR s wont work with smart tvs."
I had been searching whirlpool, stereo .net, and this forum.I know it was a post from 2018 sorry!

I won't definitely say that I didn't say that, but I've never had anything that I'd call a smart TV connected to a DP series PVR. We only got a smart TV ourselves this year.

I can't really think why, in principle, a DP series box wouldn't work with a smart TV.

I don't have any experience with Samsung TVs, so beyond saying that it looks like the setup you have would be expected to work, I don't really have much to add. But there are others on the forum who have Samsung TVs.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:28

stanB wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38
Connected lite via Hdmi in Hdmi 1.. when pressing source button on remote comes up as "Unknown"
have tried different inputs. same results.

Are you saying you don't see any display from the DP-Lite on the TV when the TV is set to the HDMI port the DP-Lite is connected to?
Have you tried pressing the TV-OUT button on the DP-Lite remote to cycle through the different output resolutions and modes?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable, or even swapped it around the other way?

stanB

Post by stanB » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:30

Hi

I tried all HDMI inputs no luck stiil came up with unknown.

I changed input to component and surprise it connected

I set the lite to720p the picture is surprisingly much better?

tried recording and all seems to be ok. using the lites remote.

Many thanks to you and PRL for your advice.

My wife will be happy.

Return to “Digital TV”