Bad audio quality SBS

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

lesterf

Re: Bad audio quality SBS

Post by lesterf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 22:43

How can this visually impaired audio feed be disabled?

T4 with latest released firmware.

I'm watching Colony on Viceland Live TV now which has visually impaired commentary by default, driving me nuts.

Tried changing Settings TV Auto Language but still getting the visually impaired commentary. Tried changing Audio language selection 1 through 4 with [none / undetermined / original / english] but no combination removes the visually impaired commentary.

Can this be disabled after a show has been recorded or is there only one audio source recorded?

Got older recordings of Future Man that also have this crap making them unwatchable for me unless it can be removed.

Annoying.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:03

lesterf wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 22:43
Tried changing Settings TV Auto Language but still getting the visually impaired commentary. Tried changing Audio language selection 1 through 4 with [none / undetermined / original / english] but no combination removes the visually impaired commentary.

Can this be disabled after a show has been recorded or is there only one audio source recorded?
Welcome.

Firstly, a post that states "latest released firmware" is not very helpull as there is a release version, a beta version and for each of those several updates. So please include an actual version number in your next post.

Moving on, if you are saying that there are 3 audio tracks as above then one of them will be without audio description. Sounds like you may have jumped too quickly and missed it.

Audio tracks can be accessed while recording/live and once recording has been completed. Of course not all services will have 3 tracks.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:04

From live TV, press AUDIO and switch to the mpeg audio track.

Don't mess with any language settings in the main setup menu.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

lesterf

Post by lesterf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:32

I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote and don't have the original BWiz remote.

Didn't know there was an audio button so had to add it through MyHarmony and now can access all the audio streams and select the English one instead.

Thanks.

Changing the Settings TV Auto Language 1 to English doesn't make English the default audio stream I still have to change it manually. Annoying it defaults to the second hearing impaired audio stream and not the first English one.

When you say don't mess with the language settings should I revert all Settings TV Audio Languae 1-4 back to None? If so why?

I'm on the latest stable firwmware which is 19.3 I think. Latest stable one pinned in the Firmware sub thread section, which I installed recently after replacing a disk.

Original firmware was years old but super stable and snappy. Newer firmware feels sluggish and now the wireless adapter won't connect through WPA2 with unsupported encryption. Plugged the older disk with old firmware back in and wireless works again. Shrugs.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 07, 2020 00:01

lesterf wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:32
Didn't know there was an audio button so had to add it through MyHarmony and now can access all the audio streams and select the English one instead.
Personally I'd recommend that AUDIO is one of the buttons that should always be mapped into an activity. Though maybe it is not a high priority if you don't tend to watch much foreign sourced media.
lesterf wrote:

Changing the Settings TV Auto Language 1 to English doesn't make English the default audio stream I still have to change it manually. Annoying it defaults to the second hearing impaired audio stream and not the first English one.
It should remember the last soundtrack you selected.
lesterf wrote:
When you say don't mess with the language settings should I revert all Settings TV Audio Languae 1-4 back to None? If so why?
Likely because the Wiz will start trying to automatically select an audio track on its own instead of remembering your last preference. In Australia, there isn't much need to set up auto language selection.

lesterf wrote:
Original firmware was years old but super stable and snappy. Newer firmware feels sluggish and now the wireless adapter won't connect through WPA2 with unsupported encryption. Plugged the older disk with old firmware back in and wireless works again. Shrugs.
What do you mean "older disk"? The firmware isn't stored on disk.

There should be no reason for the new firmware to perform and slower to the old one. They're just be something else going on there. Maybe a setting or autotimer gone awry?

The wireless drivers have changed with the new firmware though and you may have problems with certain wireless dongle chipsets.

Though thinking about it. Badly behaving wireless drivers could possibly be slowing things down for you? What wireless device are you using? (The usual advice is that you are usually better off with an external device acting as a wireless bridge. You should have better reception, and often will get better throughput with a dedicated device, plus it can share the wireless connection with other devices if it has an integrated switch).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:36

Select the offending channel. Press AUDIO. Selecr the other audio track using UP/DOWN. Press OK.

This won't hepl with exusting recordings, you'll have to cjange them one by one in the same way using AUDIO as you watch them.

Future recordings on the same channel should preselect the tight audio track.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Geoff U
On probation

Post by Geoff U » Fri Jul 03, 2020 19:39

Have a similar issue, i.e. on certain SBS and ABC programs that have aids for the visually impaired we get regular clicks.

As mentioned earlier in this topic, we found that this is associated with my T3 defaulting to Audio = AAC-HE. A quick fix is to press “audio” on the remote control and to select “MPEG” (instead of “AAC-HE”.) The clicks disappear. A screenshot of this is shown earlier in this topic. Hope this helps.

However, the problem recurs next time I start viewing a program with AAC-HE. Does anyone have a permanent cure or even a fix that sets audio option to MPEG permanently please?

[We have a T3 feeding a Panasonic OLED via HDMI; then to a Yamaha receiver in full 5.1 in “standard” surround mode and lots of lovely new and old KEFs.] Thanks! :D

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jul 03, 2020 21:26

Make sure you have your language settings configured to save language per service. The setting will be saved and shouldn't revert, bit you need to change the audio track on every ABC and SBS service separately.

Also, any recordings made before you changed audio tracks on the live service will still default to the descriptive audio until you change it manually per-recording.

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55

Hi
I am also having this problem so am trying to make a global change to each service.

But when I press the audio button I don't get the option to select something and press OK (as you outline).

The options (on the ABC) just toggle automatically between:
Changed audio track to English (MPeg1)
Changed audio track to Aus (MPeg1)

SBS gives me some other options too.

This is fine to make a change as I'm watching but I can't see how to make it hold so it applies all the time and to recordings.

I have a T3.
Thanks

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03

REDark wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55
But when I press the audio button I don't get the option to select something and press OK (as you outline).

The options (on the ABC) just toggle automatically between:
Changed audio track to English (MPeg1)
Changed audio track to Aus (MPeg1)
You must be running very old firmware. The AUDIO button was changed from a toggle to a menu popup quite some time ago.

To bring up the options we describe, you will need to long-press the AUDIO button.

You can switch each channel manually, but there is the other method.
Once you have the Audio popup showing, you can press MENU.
There will be an option in there to "prefer Dolby audio". If you disable that, then most of the channels should default to the normal MPEG audio track instead of the AAC descriptive audio track.

When you have the time and inclination, you should update to the latest firmware using the USB update method.

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:04

Thank you!

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:20

Thanks all, this has been annoying me for a little while since I started recording an SBS-HD show. Don't know why I didn't think to check here earlier, never even noticed the "Audio" button on the remote before!

Return to “Digital TV”