No Channel 7

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

FireFae3
On probation

No Channel 7

Post by FireFae3 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 13:26

I have a weird problem where one TV doesn't detect channel 7 (or 7two, 7mate). If I run the auto-tune, it detects all the other channels available in my area (SBS, ABC, WIN, 9) but 7 doesn't get detected at all. It's like it just doesn't exist. Manual tuning has the same result.

This is one of two identical TVs bought at the same time and placed in different rooms of the house. The other TV picks up channel 7 just fine. Same TV make and model, same setup and settings, just different rooms of the same house. I have compared every possible setting that might affect the TVs ability to detect a channel and both TVs are set up identically, but one knows 7 exists and the other does not.

If the problem TV isn't properly connected to the antenna, it surely wouldn't be able to detect signals from the other stations/channels. If the antenna isn't getting a signal for channel 7 the other TV shouldn't get perfect reception for channel 7. This has been an ongoing problem for years and over time I have tried everything I can think of, but nothing helps.

If anyone has any suggestions what might be causing this and how to fix it I would love the advice.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: No Channel 7

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:08

FireFae3 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 13:26

This is one of two identical TVs bought at the same time and placed in different rooms of the house. The other TV picks up channel 7 just fine. Same TV make and model, same setup and settings, just different rooms of the same house.

If anyone has any suggestions what might be causing this and how to fix it I would love the advice.

Have you ever tried tuning the problem TV connected in the other room?

If it works there but not in its normal place it will mean a cabling fault in the lead to the other room is the most likely culprit. A faulty shield, bad connection, poor quality cabling, a defective splitter or corrosion could all cause this effect.

If not, an internal fault in the tuner.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

sub3R
Wizard

Re: No Channel 7

Post by sub3R » Thu Sep 20, 2018 20:59

FireFae3 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 13:26
... If the problem TV isn't properly connected to the antenna, it surely wouldn't be able to detect signals from the other stations/channels. ...
It could if channel 7 has a lower signal strength compared to the other channels & the signal strength of all channels are fairly low. This could cause channel 7 to drop off the low signal end of the digital cliff & therefore wouldn’t be detected.

Is channel 7 signal strength lower than the other channels on the TV that can pick up channel 7? Where I am on the NSW mid north coast I find Prime7 has the lowest signal strength compared to the other channels & on our beyonwiz T2 it gives me more trouble than any other channel.

How do the signal strength & quality readings compare between the two TVs (comparing the same channels of course)? If the one that can’t pick up Channel 7 has lower readings then it could be what Paul_oz53 has indicated or it could be a case of having something like an antenna coax splitter set up wrong.

Do you have more than 2 TV antenna coax wall outlets? Are you using a 3-way passive TV coax splitter? A 2-way passive splitter will split the signal 50% & 50%, but a 3-way passive splitter will split the signal 50%, 25% & 25%. So if using a 3-way splitter, your TV that picks up channel 7 could be connected to the 50% output connection & the TV that won’t pick up channel 7 could be connected to a 25% output connection.

Do you have the Belling-Lee PAL type push in wall connectors, or are they the screw in F-type connectors? The PAL type connectors are really rubbish & can cause poor connections which can give a poor signal to the TV or PVR. If you have the PAL type, make sure the connections are clean & a firm fit at both the centre conductor & the outside conductor (long nose pliers can adjust these).

Without more information about your setup we are really guessing.

You may find some useful info with photos in this topic.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

Return to “Digital TV”