WIN loses Nine, SC wins Nine

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: WIN loses Nine, SC wins Nine

Post by prl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:47

Also reported in today's Canberra Times. It seemed unclear what was going to happen to SC Ten.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57

Nine has started advertising the switch of its network services from Win to Southern Cross. The switch date is July 1. There's a web page for the switch at http://www.nineon5.com.au/. The ads are being carried in both Canberra Times and on Nine's Canberra channels. I assume this is happening in other Win areas that are affected by the change.

Southern Cross won't carry 9HD and 9Life initially, because they need new gear to be installed. From the NineOn5 FAQ: "9HD will be broadcast by mid-August at the latest"; "SCA is expecting that it will be broadcasting 9Life by mid-August."
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 18:13

prl wrote:Southern Cross won't carry 9HD and 9Life initially, because they need new gear to be installed.
Now where have I heard something like that before? Oh yes. SC10 protested that they did not have the resources to broadcast stereo sound on their analogue channel when all other services had implemented stereo.
prl wrote:"9HD will be broadcast by mid-August at the latest"; "SCA is expecting that it will be broadcasting 9Life by mid-August."
What will they make of this newfangled H264 I wonder.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21

raymondjpg wrote:
prl wrote:Southern Cross won't carry 9HD and 9Life initially, because they need new gear to be installed.
Now where have I heard something like that before? Oh yes. SC10 protested that they did not have the resources to broadcast stereo sound on their analogue channel when all other services had implemented stereo.
It seems quite the opposite. The Nine on 5 FAQ has been updated to say that SCA wil carry 9HD from 1 July:
Will I still get 9HD?

Yes you will get 9HD from 1 July.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 14:06

Hi Peter

on 1 July when the swap happens will we need to do a rescan or will all the swaps between Capital and win match to existing channel items already on BW.

What about the Picicons ? Will they map or will we need a new firmware that recognises them.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 26, 2016 14:39

craigh wrote:...
on 1 July when the swap happens will we need to do a rescan or will all the swaps between Capital and win match to existing channel items already on BW.
No idea. I'm going to check whether I still see the changed channels and rescan if necessary.
craigh wrote:What about the Picicons ? Will they map or will we need a new firmware that recognises them.
If a scan is necessary, then new picon setups will be needed, and a firmware update will be needed to get the new picon setups.

This has also been discussed over on the IceTV forum. The new IceTV server (as used by the Beyonwiz T series) uses similar data to the T series picon setup (the "triples" mention in Dave's post contain data that's also in the servicerefs that are used for the T series picon setup). There wasn't a good answer found there, either.

Even if the servicerefs are unchanged and channels are still visible without a rescan, and the picons all work, you may want to rescan to get the LCNs right in Terrestrial TV LCN.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 26, 2016 14:45

There was an article about the switch in today's Canberra Sunday Times with more datail than has previously been available (not that that's saying much). The print version of the article lists the new LCN assignments, but the online version doesn't. :roll:

The new LCNs are:
5 Nine
50 9HD
52 9Gem
53 9GO!
54 9Life
56 Aspire

8 WIN (Ten)
80 WIN HD
81 One
82 Eleven
84 TVSN
85 GOLD

It doesn't help with craigh's question:
WIN and Southern Cross Austereo say you don't need to retune your TV but there's a chance your set will need re-tuning to receive all channels.
They don't know, either.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 15:43

Thanks Peter

Guess we will need to wait.

I will be away till the 2nd so will see what comes of recordings (auto timers)
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:44

prl wrote:If a scan is necessary, then new picon setups will be needed, and a firmware update will be needed to get the new picon setups.
I wasn't going to chance it and did a complete manual scan twice, clearing existing information. As you predicted picons are all over the place.
prl wrote:Even if the servicerefs are unchanged and channels are still visible without a rescan, and the picons all work, you may want to rescan to get the LCNs right in Terrestrial TV LCN.
Again, no appetite to risk not doing a complete rescan. Also, with new services and picons all over the place confusing my little bear brain I decided to completely purge my favourites list and set it up again.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:29

It looks like a rescan will be necessary on T series Beyonwizes, and a picon set update as well.

Fortunately, Daniel at IceTV has offered to send me a list of the necessary information to create the picon setups, so I may not need to get scan data for everyone affected by the changes.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Digital TV”