Issues with the way IceTV works in the BW

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

j s
Master

Issues with the way IceTV works in the BW

Post by j s » Thu Oct 04, 2007 21:55

A few times now I've been caught by the "Too many times - wait 59 minutes" when power cycling my BWs (I have two) on clearing the cache. The result is that I end up with no guide data at all - not even N&N.

Two things the BW needs to do....

1) cache the guide thru restarts so it doesn't get it unnecessarily

2) when a manual clear of the cache is requested it should verify it can get new data BEFORE clearing out the old (then ask me if it should go ahead anyway if it can't). Options should be:

a) Cancel the clear
b) Clear anyway
c) Wait till new data is available and then clear.

Option (c) is what the BW should do when they implement scheduled guide data refreshes

prl
Wizard God

Re: Issues with the way IceTV works in the BW

Post by prl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 23:12

j s wrote:A few times now I've been caught by the "Too many times - wait 59 minutes" when power cycling my BWs (I have two) on clearing the cache. The result is that I end up with no guide data at all - not even N&N.
This problem happens every time you restart a DP-H1 within an hour of the first start - it has no cache at all :(

You can get N&N by disabling IceTV. :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:12

I beleive IceTV and BW must make provision to download the information in a recordable format that can be reloaded back into the BW along with timers and personal preferences.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Jammer
Master

Post by Jammer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:20

Agree with you John. I'm pretty frustrated with how ICE and the BW work together. For example: I can't count the number of times that I've gone to record something in a few days time and there was no data after tomorrow, so I had to flush the ICE guide cache and wait for all the data to load again. However, I had to be careful or I'd end up in the same situation that you did....with no data at all because of too many requests!!

A lot of things still seem very half-baked with ICE integration, and with the BW in general. It still has the most potential of any PVR but I realised last night that I'm mostly using the BW for W-LAN media file playback but using the toppy for anything TV-related because it just "works" the way I want it to......does anyone else see this situation as a bit incongruous??!?
Last edited by Jammer on Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:20

netmask wrote:I beleive IceTV and BW must make provision to download the information in a recordable format that can be reloaded back into the BW along with timers and personal preferences.
The problem on the H1 is an issue every time you restart it a short time after a start. It has no built-in storage apart from the flash that the firmware is in, and to save/restore, the way you're suggesting, you'd need to go through the procedure each time you did this. It's not something that happens only when IceTV has gone a bit wild or you're doing a FW upgrade.

Yes, it would be a good idea to be able to save settings & timers, and maybe IceTV Cache for when you need to reset the system, but it doesn't really address the problem for the H1, which doesn't have an IceTV cache at all.

My hope is that when IceTV has an IceTV Remote setup for the H1 (it still only has S1 & P1), it will be a bit more generous about when it allows IceTV downloads. (are you listening, danielicetv? :))
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Htnut
Apprentice

Post by Htnut » Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:45

JS

I also have 2 boxes and had the same problem after upgrading the firmware. I called IceTv support and they have sorted out the problem. The issue is that there is only one download allowed per 24 hours but the new firmware has support for more than one box. Your ICE account and your boxes need to be set up accordingly.

Vortical
Guru

Post by Vortical » Fri Oct 05, 2007 13:45

With the last firmware upgrade I updated my S1 which worked fine but when i updated my H1 it told me I had to wait 1380minutes before trying again.

I guess if one has two units they shouldn't update the firmware on the same day.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 14:18

Vortical wrote:With the last firmware upgrade I updated my S1 which worked fine but when i updated my H1 it told me I had to wait 1380minutes before trying again.

I guess if one has two units they shouldn't update the firmware on the same day.
There was something that happened in my update of my S1 where I ended up with an absurdly long wait for a retry (apparently reloading the channel mapping information is a once-a-day affair). DrPhil, I think, found a workaround by creating a new device name in the IceTV Remote setup to give yourself a new timer and new chance at a download. It worked for me.

Quite a few people were caught with this in the last FW upgrade.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

AndyCullen
Apprentice

Post by AndyCullen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:01

It would appear that you should create one ice device for each BW to avoid issues with data download.

I would also create a spare ice device as suggested by prl for use when your standard ice device has been blocked.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:16

AndyCullen wrote:It would appear that you should create one ice device for each BW to avoid issues with data download.
That's what you're supposed to do. An IceTV subscription is for three devices. I haven't tried it, but I suspect the Web interface may limit you to that.
AndyCullen wrote:I would also create a spare ice device as suggested by prl for use when your standard ice device has been blocked.
I actually used the entry for my H1 for the S1 temporarily, until it had done its first download, then I swapped it back. Because I hadn't updated the H1 FW at the same time, the H1 was OK, too, because it wasn't trying to load the channel map, which I think is what caused the log jam.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vortical
Guru

Post by Vortical » Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:22

AndyCullen wrote:It would appear that you should create one ice device for each BW to avoid issues with data download.

I would also create a spare ice device as suggested by prl for use when your standard ice device has been blocked.
I actually did this from the word go.

My S1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz S1 device and my H1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz H1 device.

Perhaps I was just unlucky and upgraded just after The IceGuide had been updated.
Give me a 23 hour wait until it could be done again.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 15:52

Vortical wrote:... My S1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz S1 device and my H1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz H1 device. ...
My IceTV Remote options screen doesn't show a Beyonwiz H1 device in the Recorder dropdown. I have my H1 configured as an S1 device.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Vortical
Guru

Post by Vortical » Fri Oct 05, 2007 16:25

prl wrote:
Vortical wrote:... My S1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz S1 device and my H1 is getting the IceTV data from a Beyonwiz H1 device. ...
My IceTV Remote options screen doesn't show a Beyonwiz H1 device in the Recorder dropdown. I have my H1 configured as an S1 device.
I chose a Beyonwiz P1 recorder device but I re-named it to Beyonwiz H1 so that is what I would see as my device name on my pvr.

This is what I see on the options screen for IceTV Remote on the IceTV website.

ID: 0 Name: Beyonwiz S1 Recorder: Beyonwiz S1
ID: 1 Name: Beyonwiz H1 Recorder: Beyonwiz P1

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Fri Oct 05, 2007 21:21

Jammer wrote:Agree with you John. I'm pretty frustrated with how ICE and the BW work together. For example: I can't count the number of times that I've gone to record something in a few days time and there was no data after tomorrow, so I had to flush the ICE guide cache and wait for all the data to load again. However, I had to be careful or I'd end up in the same situation that you did....with no data at all because of too many requests!!
Me too...it's very annoying. Why can't I download it again NOW if it has cleared itself...then I get SWMBO asking where the guide is and why can't the new &*()*&^$ thing work like the other one (deep sigh)
Jammer wrote:A lot of things still seem very half-baked with ICE integration, and with the BW in general. It still has the most potential of any PVR but I realised last night that I'm mostly using the BW for W-LAN media file playback but using the toppy for anything TV-related because it just "works" the way I want it to......does anyone else see this situation as a bit incongruous??!?
:D Your last comment sums it up nicely.
I don't use the media player that much, as I have been making an effort to try and record things in parallel with the toppy and BW, and I find I often have to refer to the guide on the toppy to know when things are on because the BW is not up to date. Setting timers for a week can be a long winded exercise

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 00:07

Amen to that, but at least it leaves teh BW free to test & try things without mucking up the viewing habits of the rest of the household (for which I would probably pay with my life.... :roll:)

By the way, Matt, Have you thought of asking Sharmy for a loan of the avatar? It would go so well with your username........ :)
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:05

Re the IceTV issue:
I have setup 2 devices on the ice web site (I only have one BW) and just switch devices whenever I get the stupid 'wait 60 minutes' thing. Though I have only ever had to switch devices once. Still, we should not have to do this! IceTV should limit the number of downloads over a 2, 3 or 4 hour period - instead of limiting it to once per hour. i.e. allow 2 downloads within a few minutes, but no more than 3 downloads every 3 hours.

Or just change it to only give trhe 'wait 60 min' message after 2 succsessive downloads, instead of just 1.

Re BW use:
I never use my 5000, and rarely use my 7000 toppy. My BW is the primary PVR in use and is only used as a PVR (generally no media playback).

I don't miss TAPs or the 5000 because the BW works just fine. It's just a matter of stopping using the 5000 and getting used to the BW.

The only things I miss are:
- bookmarks
- auto resume from last playback position
- TEDS
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:15

I agree with what Dave's just posted, I think it works pretty well and I use it both as a PVR and as a Network Media Player.

I also agree about the major missing parts which I why I hope IceTV Remote is included soon as that will give us a lot of the functionality of TEDS.
Cheers
Gully

dcw
Master

Post by dcw » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:09

Just getting it to work reliably would help so that there's always 7 days worth of information in the guide.

Actually I would prefer 8 days (if that's possible) so that you can always set a timer for at least 7 days ahead. I lost count of the number of times I've just missed a program that's either part way through or just finished, and am unable to set a weekly timer for the same slot next week because it's not yet in the guide. I then forget to do it later, so miss it for the next week as well.

Could set it manually, but too lazy to look up the start & end times, type in the name, etc.... Anyway, that's what the guide is for.

Dave.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:15

dcw wrote:Actually I would prefer 8 days (if that's possible) so that you can always set a timer for at least 7 days ahead. I lost count of the number of times I've just missed a program that's either part way through or just finished, and am unable to set a weekly timer for the same slot next week because it's not yet in the guide. I then forget to do it later, so miss it for the next week as well.
Good point Dave.

One solution would be to retain old data for 24 hours - i.e. users would be able to see yesterday's data. Then if someone tried to set a timer usiing yesterday's expired data the BW should default to 'weekly' and set the timer for next week. And if the user changed it to 'daily' the BW should set the timer for tomorrow. i.e. the BW should be smart enough to know that the data has expired and the timer is not being set in the past.
cheers
DaveR

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:16

Dave? wrote:Re the IceTV issue:
I have setup 2 devices on the ice web site (I only have one BW) and just switch devices whenever I get the stupid 'wait 60 minutes' thing. Though I have only ever had to switch devices once. Still, we should not have to do this! IceTV should limit the number of downloads over a 2, 3 or 4 hour period - instead of limiting it to once per hour. i.e. allow 2 downloads within a few minutes, but no more than 3 downloads every 3 hours.

Or just change it to only give trhe 'wait 60 min' message after 2 succsessive downloads, instead of just 1.

Re BW use:
I never use my 5000, and rarely use my 7000 toppy. My BW is the primary PVR in use and is only used as a PVR (generally no media playback).

I don't miss TAPs or the 5000 because the BW works just fine. It's just a matter of stopping using the 5000 and getting used to the BW.

The only things I miss are:
- bookmarks
- auto resume from last playback position
- TEDS
Dave, have you ever used JustEPG? I can't see for the life of me how you would "get used to" the current Wiz EPG.

Re ICETV EPG issue.

On the matter of the Wiz not having an up to date EPG when you firts turn it on, I use a Play/View only daily timer for about 30 min at around 3pm. That way, the EPG has been fetched and is already in the Cache and is up to date for the evening's viewing.

It's exactly the same way as my IceBox2 works. You set it to fetch the EPG at a nominated time. It then stores it and waits till you turn the Toppy on and then transfers it. To speed things up, I have set the Toppy to a Play/View only timer over the same time period, so it gets transferred immedialtely
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25

Dave? wrote:... One solution would be to retain old data for 24 hours - i.e. users would be able to see yesterday's data. ...
Not on a H1 that gets put into standby overnight.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:30

jpp wrote:Dave, have you ever used JustEPG? I can't see for the life of me how you would "get used to" the current Wiz EPG.
Nope. As a TEDS user I had no need for justepg, and I only used the toppy EPG occasionally to see what's on now.

As it is, I still use TEDS to create a timer list, and then manually set those timers on the BW using the BW's 'adequate' EPG.
cheers
DaveR

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 13:20

Dave? wrote:As it is, I still use TEDS to create a timer list, and then manually set those timers on the BW using the BW's 'adequate' EPG.
Sound like one step forward and two steps back :wink: ?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Sat Oct 06, 2007 13:33

brianh wrote:Amen to that, but at least it leaves teh BW free to test & try things without mucking up the viewing habits of the rest of the household (for which I would probably pay with my life.... :roll:)
Given what you are up to over the next few weeks it's probably worth the risk as you have divine power to rise from the grave :lol:
brianh wrote:By the way, Matt, Have you thought of asking Sharmy for a loan of the avatar? It would go so well with your username........ :)
I just had a look at that, pretty cool avatar, but a bit spooky for me. I think I'll stick with the Mercedes McLaren SLR under heavy breaking for now :D I kind of got stuck with the username unintensionally, and I didn't want to change it when I joined this forum.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:25

I find sharmy's eyeball avitar is a bit too big. Reduced to about 80% of it's curent size would be perfect.

Matt, what did the 'alwayslooking' username originally mean?
cheers
DaveR

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:42

Dave? wrote:Matt, what did the 'alwayslooking' username originally mean?
Long story short, I blame SWMBO.

Wife "Dinners on the table, are you eating with us?"

Me sitting at the computer "Yep, be there in a sec, just looking at something"

...10 mins later

Wife yells "ARE YOU HAVING DINNER OR WHAT!"

Me "Yep, just looking at something"

Wife " You're ALWAYS LOOKING at something, get off the SQUARE B!TCH and come to dinner NOW"

Me, has dinner

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:44

jpp wrote:
Dave? wrote:As it is, I still use TEDS to create a timer list, and then manually set those timers on the BW using the BW's 'adequate' EPG.
I was actually considering doing this myself...though it would be nicer to just upload the timers straight into the P1...but I'll just have to wait like everyone else.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Oct 06, 2007 17:12

alwayslooking wrote:
jpp wrote:
I was actually considering doing this myself...though it would be nicer to just upload the timers straight into the P1...but I'll just have to wait like everyone else.
I'm doing it too - seems safer to me than scanning other sources including the EPG.

I do usually create them all as weekly timers and just adjust when needed.
Cheers
Gully

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 17:18

TEDS Log File Viewers

Download TEDS-Log-Viewers.zip Unzip and place contents in TEDS' directory
cheers
DaveR

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 19:16

alwayslooking wrote:
brianh wrote:Amen to that, but at least it leaves teh BW free to test & try things without mucking up the viewing habits of the rest of the household (for which I would probably pay with my life.... :roll:)
Given what you are up to over the next few weeks it's probably worth the risk as you have divine power to rise from the grave :lol:
Haha....... I don't like my chances of that.....as for method acting, I've been busy all day building my "Last Supper" table (breaks into 8 pieces for easy removal from the stage, mdf with magnets to keep it connected - I know Jesus was a carpenter, but I don't think I'm quite up to that standard :D) so no time today for the BW, the toppy or the forum... :(
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

dcw
Master

Post by dcw » Sun Oct 07, 2007 02:51

I find ICE very un reliable, not sure I've ever found anything approaching 7 complete days worth of data in the guide. Is this just the BW implementation? Can anyone comment on how reliable it is on other systems?

Dave.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sun Oct 07, 2007 08:03

dcw wrote:I find ICE very un reliable, not sure I've ever found anything approaching 7 complete days worth of data in the guide. Is this just the BW implementation? Can anyone comment on how reliable it is on other systems?

Dave.
ICETV EPG is always the full bottle on my Toppy, so I suspect it's either the EPG ICETV send to the Wiz or the Wiz's implementation is at fault. Remember though, that it takes upowards of 5 min for the Wiz to load in the full 7 days EPG when you first turn it on after it has been off for 24 hours.
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sun Oct 07, 2007 16:40

Its gotta be the BW surely.

On the Toppy, EPG was a faithful as a dog. Hopefully when BW overhaul the EPG this will all get sorted.

I find it usable, but only just.

Cheers
DP-S1
1.05.192 (18/12/07)

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sun Oct 07, 2007 16:48

DrPhil wrote:Its gotta be the BW surely.

On the Toppy, EPG was a faithful as a dog. Hopefully when BW overhaul the EPG this will all get sorted.

I find it usable, but only just.

Cheers
Yep, and let's not get too impatient with BW about all of this sort of stuff. It took Topfield nearly a whole year to get the basic 5000 series Toppy FW stable. We're asking a hell of a lot more of the Wiz what with the added functions of Media and DVD player. Most Media Players using the Syabas/Sigma combination of HW and FW and an included DVD player have taken about a year to get the FW right (mostly that is).
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sun Oct 07, 2007 16:51

Totally agree JPP,

I am in no rush for fancy EPG, padded timers, screen savers and all those nice to haves at the expense of stability and basic functionality.

I am patient....

Phil

Teddles
Master

Post by Teddles » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:12

DrPhil wrote:Totally agree JPP,
I am in no rush for fancy EPG, padded timers, screen savers and all those nice to haves at the expense of stability and basic functionality.Phil
Hmmm.....going by the issues that have surfaced since the latest f/w, I don't think you can call the unit stable at this point in time.
Secondly, I'm not looking for sophisticated EPG functionality either - I just want it to work reliably. Having to regularly clear the cache because data is missing is a real pain in the butt, and does nothing for the reputation of either BW or IceTV.
Needs to fixed pronto in my opinion.
Teddles

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:41

Hi Teddles,

I did not intend to imply it was stable, I was saying (or meant to say) that I did not want to see nice to haves at the expense of stability (being sorted out).

Secondly, I have been on the new firmware since it was available and I have found it to be fine, no freeze ups from normal use, chase play, streaming from my laptop, recordings scheduled, remote use, file transfers and who knows what.

I know people are having issues, but there are also people that are not. Its certainly a mixed bag presently.

Cheers

Phil
DP-S1
1.05.192 (18/12/07)

Teddles
Master

Post by Teddles » Sun Oct 07, 2007 20:42

DrPhil wrote:I know people are having issues, but there are also people that are not. Its certainly a mixed bag presently.Phil
Phil
Stability is paramount to me - I just want it to work as intended! Accordingly, I've deferred loading the latest f/w until I have greater confidence that the unreliability that has apparently been introduced by the latest upgrade is rectified.
Teddles

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 08:12

What bugs me about ICETV is, some ch show 5 days and others 7 days or more?. Wonder why this is.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 08:36

Foxtail wrote:What bugs me about ICETV is, some ch show 5 days and others 7 days or more?. Wonder why this is.
As has been postulated, it's most probably the way the Wiz is currently handling the ICETV EPG data. The ICETV EPG data sent to the Toppies with an ICE subscription is just fine - always at least 7 days, often partially populated to the 8th day.
Phil.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 08:49

Thanks.

Is it better to clear the ICETV cache before downloadng the weeks programs and/or wait unitil the week is finished before trying again?.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 09:05

Foxtail wrote:Thanks.

Is it better to clear the ICETV cache before downloadng the weeks programs and/or wait unitil the week is finished before trying again?.
If you normally turn off your Wiz after the night's viewing, I suggest you set up a non-recording timer at around 2-3pm for about 30 min. That way, the Wiz will load the current EPG from ICE TV (which is updated every day) and put it into cache. Then when you come to turn on the Wiz for tonight's viewing, the whole week or 7 days ahead of you should be fully populated if the Wiz doesn't stuff it up.
Phil.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02

I wonder if some only see 5 days because the Wiz buffer gets filled?
This happens on the 5K too, but it just appears to fill the standard event description in this case, and not the extended event description (well, at least this apeared one to me to look like this, no extended descriptions after about 5 or 6 days quite often when there is a big week with lots of >512byte descriptions per movie or show).
Of course, if you have a few more channels setup, this may affect this also?? I don't know what algorithm is used for the "send channel data" phase of this process is (the beginning bit when you first get ICE working on the wiz). Does it send every single channel it has in its buffer to ICE to try and get a match? More than likely it does.
Regards
Tony

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 13:45

This morning I cleared the ICETV Guide Cache.

Just now (1.30pm) I downloaded the the weeks ICETV guide, I get 4days on 3ch, 5 days on one and 6 days on two ch, no 7 days at all, its all very strange. I think its about time someone got their act together.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 13:55

Foxtail wrote:This morning I cleared the ICETV Guide Cache.

Just now (1.30pm) I downloaded the the weeks ICETV guide, I get 4days on 3ch, 5 days on one and 6 days on two ch, no 7 days at all, its all very strange. I think its about time someone got their act together.
OK, I've set my View only timer to 3pm on the Wiz. I'll have a look at both my Toppy (view only timer also set up at 3pm to fetch EPG from ICE) and Wiz EPGs shortly after that and see what I get - report coming up later this arvo.

Edit. I see you're in Cairns - I'm in Sydney. Maybe a different ball game for your locale in getting a complete 7 days' EPG. Best to contact Daniel of ICETV to see if he can shed any light on it. Anyways, I'll still report what I get.
Phil.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 15:35

jpp wrote:
Foxtail wrote:This morning I cleared the ICETV Guide Cache.

OK, I've set my View only timer to 3pm on the Wiz. I'll have a look at both my Toppy (view only timer also set up at 3pm to fetch EPG from ICE) and Wiz EPGs shortly after that and see what I get - report coming up later this arvo.

Edit. I see you're in Cairns - I'm in Sydney. Maybe a different ball game for your locale in getting a complete 7 days' EPG. Best to contact Daniel of ICETV to see if he can shed any light on it. Anyways, I'll still report what I get.
Well, not good news for the Wiz I'm afraid.

1. The Wiz does not show the 7 days' worth of EPG after bootup - I'm almost 100% certain it did with previous FW. So, it apparently reloads the EPG on startup even though the stored one was only minutes old. It then takes quite a while for it to fill up past the first couple of days - maybe it (now) holds just this amount of EPG data in cache and not a full week's worth. Or, it just could be that it always takes this long to load the data from the cache file to the EIT table.

Edit. Turned the Wiz off and then on again immediately. Yes, it must be the slow loading of the EPG into memory - it took just as long again to finalise the complete EPG as it did the first time.

2. The Wiz also did not complete the 20 min View time timer setting - it was only on for about 12 min. Again, another bug in the new FW as others have reported.

3. The Wiz also gave no sound out on ABC HD over the HDMI output. I had to reboot it. Normally, my Video Processor is on first, then the Wiz. In this instance, I had the Wiz on first, then the VP. Again, this problem been reported by others as well.

The Toppy ICE EPG came up fully populated up to Saturday, most channels on Sunday, and just 2 channels on Monday.

Edit. The Wiz has now completed its GUIDE and appears to be "fully" populated. But, the last couple of days show different channels being partially populated between the Toppy and Wiz.
Phil.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 16:17

This is what I received today, have sent ICETV an email.

CH21 11.30pm 10/10/07

CH3 11.40am 13/10/07

CH7 10.30pm 13/10/07

CH8 9.30pm 15/10/07

CH10 11.30am 15/10/07

CH2 11.40pm 15/10/07

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 16:54

Just spoke with Daniel at ICETV, very helpful as usual, anyways he informed me the person who does the info for the ICETV is away sick and that is the reason regional locations and some cirty ones can't get a full weeks programs (only part of), but all will be available by tomorrow afternoon.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Oct 08, 2007 17:10

Hi,
Foxtail wrote:Just spoke with Daniel at ICETV, very helpful as usual, anyways he informed me the person who does the info for the ICETV is away sick and that is the reason regional locations and some cirty ones can't get a full weeks programs (only part of), but all will be available by tomorrow afternoon.
It is a bit of a worry that one person being ill can have such a negative effect on the EPG. God forbid that person gets hit by a bus.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Ice TV”