Unreliability of IceTV

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

netmask
Wizard

Unreliability of IceTV

Post by netmask » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:27

After doing the last firmware update successfully with everything working as planned IceTV let the whole thing down by switching to a terse message that I will have to wait 500 minutes to see any guide - well that only reinforces my earlier post on my misgivings of only allowing IceTV exclusive use of the BW. I rang IceTV and left a message, twice now since I've had the BW and so far no return call or acknowledgement. Give us JustEPG and myxmltv any day. There really has to be a professional way of doing EPG's without undue time constraints. I doubt if I will renew my IceTV subscription when the trial runs out unless there is a major technological improvement in delivery of the service.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Re: Unreliability of IceTV

Post by prl » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34

netmask wrote:After doing the last firmware update successfully with everything working as planned IceTV let the whole thing down by switching to a terse message that I will have to wait 500 minutes to see any guide - well that only reinforces my earlier post on my misgivings of only allowing IceTV exclusive use of the BW. I rang IceTV and left a message, twice now since I've had the BW and so far no return call or acknowledgement. Give us JustEPG and myxmltv any day. There really has to be a professional way of doing EPG's without undue time constraints. I doubt if I will renew my IceTV subscription when the trial runs out unless there is a major technological improvement in delivery of the service.
I'm not convinced that the IceTV server is necessarily to blame for this, though it's possible. DrPhil posted a workaround and I've confirmed it.

Doesn't excuse IceTV not replying to you calls, though.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

smeg888
Master

Post by smeg888 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 13:46

I had the problem after the upgrade with the wait 720 minutes. It still wouldn't go away this morning. Rang ICETv and they reset something, I cleared the Cache and the EPG was full in a couple of minutes.

Have to admit the few times I have rung ICE they have always been very helpful.

regards

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Sep 23, 2007 14:40

I received a phone message from IceTV that they had reset my timer and I needed to empty the IceTV cache on the BW. I did this and all is back to normal. My thanks to IceTV for acting promptly. I am grateful that someone was on duty on a Sunday to do this.

However this shouldn't be necessary every time a factory reset is required on the BW. If you are going to have a hardware monopolistic EPG system then you need to have a quid pro quo to at least allow the subscriber some control over the system such as being able to download the data to an external source and then upload it quickly after a system change. This may involve a firmware change as well but since there is an exclusive arrangement between BW and IceTV it would be a good modification to circumvent an on-going public relations problem and cost to IceTV having to have human intervention to clear the decks. The same goes for backing up one's timers. :)

Once again thank you Iceman :!:
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

dcw
Master

Post by dcw » Sun Sep 23, 2007 14:56

Similar experience, but now, even though I seem to be past this particular problem I'm still getting data only up to Tuesday.

It said that there was some bad data from the server. Tried clearing the cache, and it mow tells me that its waiting 22 minutes before trying to get data again. Something about request being ignored becoause it's being made too often.

Really, this stuff should just work. I've better things to do than bugger about with it!

Dave.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Sep 23, 2007 15:02

oops! I only have data to 12 noon ish Monday Sept 24 and I have a message to wait 8 minutes. As I said never happened with DialUp and myxmltv etc. Oh well only 20 more timers to restore by longhand :x
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 23, 2007 15:59

I had a while where there was little data for Thursday prime time. It cleared itself eventually.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

DrPhil
Master

Re: Unreliability of IceTV

Post by DrPhil » Sun Sep 23, 2007 16:46

prl wrote:DrPhil posted a workaround and I've confirmed it.
Phew - I got it right for once :D

pvogel
Apprentice

Holes in the Iceguide info

Post by pvogel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 16:20

I have been running my P1 for a couple of weeks now and it's been reasonably OK, the main issue I see is the guide has mysterious gaps. Today I see that there is no data at all for SBS or ABC, it comes good for tomorrow, then it runs out again on Wed. Is this a known issue?

Jammer
Master

Re: Holes in the Iceguide info

Post by Jammer » Sun Oct 21, 2007 16:56

pvogel wrote:I have been running my P1 for a couple of weeks now and it's been reasonably OK, the main issue I see is the guide has mysterious gaps. Today I see that there is no data at all for SBS or ABC, it comes good for tomorrow, then it runs out again on Wed. Is this a known issue?
Yep, this is a known issue Peter. Give it some time and you'll probably start noticing that there are times when there's no ICE data at all and you have to manually delete the ICE guide cache etc to stimulate a regrab etc.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Oct 21, 2007 17:50

There is work being done on IceTV update problems for the next release from Beyonwiz. See Ian's (IanSav) post here. Item 16.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Ice TV”