Free EPG?

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

michael_k

Free EPG?

Post by michael_k » Tue Jun 12, 2007 23:25

Hi first post here :)

I have a Mediastar 920 and am outrageously happy with Dave?'s solution to an EPG guide.

Does the DP-S1 support the same free epg sources?

SimonB
Master

Post by SimonB » Wed Jun 13, 2007 21:22

No(t yet).

8)

Simon.... (Nup, no inside info, just being hopeful)

michael_k

Post by michael_k » Wed Jun 13, 2007 23:17

Bugger :o .........I would have bought one.

Thanks SimonB

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jun 14, 2007 09:27

Hi All,

Just out of interest...

I just noticed that Ice offer a free 1 day EPG for anyone to use and they provide a free PC addon widget to view it. Is there any chance that Ice could extend this 1 day free EPG to us Beyonwiz users?

Perhaps danielicetv can jump in and let us know if this could be possible.

Regards,
Ian.

DaveR
Wizard

Re: Free EPG?

Post by DaveR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 14:04

michael_k wrote:Hi first post here :)
I have a Mediastar 920 and am outrageously happy with Dave?'s solution to an EPG guide.

Does the DP-S1 support the same free epg sources?
I would only write a similiar application for the beyonwiz if IceTV ceased business (i.e. I no longer had a 7 day epg on my beyonwiz). The only reason I wrote the mediastar/arion application was because the mediastar IceTV support was never finsihed to the point where IceTV provided their own application.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

SimonB
Master

Post by SimonB » Thu Jun 14, 2007 20:45

michael_k wrote:Bugger :o .........I would have bought one.
I don't really find the monthly charge outrageous, especially when you've just dropped $1300 (grrr) to $1400.

Funny lot, aren't we?

Simon....

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08

* Bump *

Hi,

Can anyone comment about the ICE 1 day free EPG and the possibility of this working on the Beyonwiz?

Regards,
Ian.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33

IanSav wrote:* Bump *

Hi,

Can anyone comment about the ICE 1 day free EPG and the possibility of this working on the Beyonwiz?

Regards,
Ian.

The ICE EPG works perfectly here on my wiz.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:27

Hi Bandit,
Bandit wrote:The ICE EPG works perfectly here on my wiz.
Is that a free subscription to the 1 day guide or a paid subscription to the 7 day guide?

Regards,
Ian.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:31

IanSav wrote:Hi Bandit,
Bandit wrote:The ICE EPG works perfectly here on my wiz.
Is that a free subscription to the 1 day guide or a paid subscription to the 7 day guide?

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian

It's the free, 3-month subscription that came with the BW. I tend to only look at the current day, so I'm not sure whether there's 7-days there at any time or not. All I know is the current, daily EPG details are always there when I go looking for them.

Regards

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:39

Hi Bandit,
Bandit wrote:It's the free, 3-month subscription that came with the BW. I tend to only look at the current day, so I'm not sure whether there's 7-days there at any time or not. All I know is the current, daily EPG details are always there when I go looking for them.
We are talking about two different products.

You are using the 3 month free trial of the commercial EPG product. After 3 months you will have to pay to keep this guide.

I am talking about a 1 day EPG that ICE gives away for free on their website for computer users. It comes with a widget program that puts a 1 day TV guide on your desktop.

This 1 day guide is a free product but does not state if it can also be used on the Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.

Bandit
Apprentice

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 13:43

IanSav wrote:Hi Bandit,
Bandit wrote:It's the free, 3-month subscription that came with the BW. I tend to only look at the current day, so I'm not sure whether there's 7-days there at any time or not. All I know is the current, daily EPG details are always there when I go looking for them.
We are talking about two different products.

You are using the 3 month free trial of the commercial EPG product. After 3 months you will have to pay to keep this guide.

I am talking about a 1 day EPG that ICE gives away for free on their website for computer users. It comes with a widget program that puts a 1 day TV guide on your desktop.

This 1 day guide is a free product but does not state if it can also be used on the Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.
Oops. Sorry.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 19, 2007 14:35

Hi Bandit,
Bandit wrote:Oops. Sorry.
No worries, thanks for reponding though.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Jun 20, 2007 00:52

You need an account with IceTV in order to get the EPG on the Beyonwiz (it needs your login details to connect to the pimp_server), so a free anonymous version is not going to work.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 20, 2007 09:33

Hi Peteru,

The free guide is not anonymous, you need to create an account to access it. The username and password you nominate are free but only allows you access to the 24 hour guide.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Jun 20, 2007 13:27

The Beyonwiz uses the PIMP service (now renamed to "Remote"), which uses a different protocol to the widget.

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webpimp ... list_shows

This gives you 1 day guide for free, without the need for an account.

I guess the best way to get some conclusive answers is to get in touch with IceTV themselves. After all, it will mainly depend on their policy.

Blog.

danielicetv
Apprentice

Post by danielicetv » Wed Jun 20, 2007 15:25

I should probably jump in here and can confirm what Peter has said. The 1-day widget account cannot be used with any device, it is only for the widget.
Regards,

Daniel Hall
CTO.
IceTV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 20, 2007 17:17

Hi Daniel,
danielicetv wrote:I should probably jump in here and can confirm what Peter has said. The 1-day widget account cannot be used with any device, it is only for the widget.
Bugga! ;)

Thank's for confirming this for me.

Is there any chance you will change your minds on this.

Regards,
Ian.

michael_k

Post by michael_k » Wed Jun 20, 2007 23:37

I would only write a similiar application for the beyonwiz if IceTV ceased business (i.e. I no longer had a 7 day epg on my beyonwiz). The only reason I wrote the mediastar/arion application was because the mediastar IceTV support was never finsihed to the point where IceTV provided their own application.
Dave your blood's worth bottling :D

While I get the Ice Guide is of a 'higher quality' than the free EPG's available, I just don't want to buy a PVR that has an ongoing liability esp when there are PVR's that give me the functionality I require, all be it at a lessor quality picture.......well until someone comes out with some hardware that will.

I'm more inclined to trade up to the Mediastar 9022 though I'd like to be pointed in another direction.

Anybody out there with Dave's skills that can pickup where he dropped it. :twisted:

michael_k

Post by michael_k » Wed Jun 20, 2007 23:49

I don't really find the monthly charge outrageous, especially when you've just dropped $1300 (grrr) to $1400.

Funny lot, aren't we?

Simon....
Hi Simon :D

The Ice Guide is only $99 a year granted, though really without an EPG a PVR is a POS.

As you say, you're happy to pay an ongoing fee but wouldn't it be nice to have options :?: Maybe the price should be $1400 + $99 per year?

I have a PVR because I feel pay tv is expensive (well at least to a level whereby it's worth it)

Why would I want to pay extra for free to air when there are /should be/ could be other options?

waxling

Post by waxling » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:49

while I find IceTV quite usable, I too would like to see an alternative so we are not "locked in". As a long time PVR / mythtv user I know there are a few choices for xmltv sources in Australia. Beyonwiz publishing a spec and then allowing the DP-S1 the ability to download from a user definable source would be great.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 21, 2007 14:58

michael_k wrote:Anybody out there with Dave's skills that can pickup where he dropped it. :twisted:
The Beyonwiz uses the IceLink protocol to retrieve the EPG. This is a proprietary, unpublished protocol. It is completely different to the method that was used for Arion/Mediastar EPG uploads. Unless Beyonwiz publish another method of getting EPG data into the box, there's not much chance that anyone will be providing an alternative source using the IceLink protocol.

If IceTV do go out of business, one would have to purchase their domain name. This is because the EPG server name is hardcoded into the DP-S1 firmware.

Blog.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Fri Jun 22, 2007 00:45

peteru wrote:If IceTV do go out of business, one would have to purchase their domain name. This is because the EPG server name is hardcoded into the DP-S1 firmware.
I've thought of a way around that... but have no intention of testing my theory while IceTV still exist.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jun 22, 2007 14:45

Of course there are ways around it for those who have the skills and resources, but it would not help the majority of people out there.

The way I look at the situation is very similar to your point of view. As long as IceTV provide a good level of service at a reasonable price, I'm not going to do anything to undermine the EPG service they provide.

Blog.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:25

are there going to be TAPs for the BW .... I know they won't be called taps but same thing in different packaging

Kezza

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:13

Kezza wrote:are there going to be TAPs for the BW .... I know they won't be called taps but same thing in different packaging
The answer is maybe. That's all we have at this stage.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55

Hi Kezza,
Kezza wrote:are there going to be TAPs for the BW .... I know they won't be called taps but same thing in different packaging
I don't believe that this has ever been properly confirmed but we are hopeful that Beyonwiz will offer an API interface at some point in the future. If this happens, I don't think it will happen quickly. I would think that Beyonwiz would rather get the system feature complete before exposing users to the inner workings of the system.

Regards,
Ian.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:31

thought as much but I still hold hope for an EPGuploader, I have a toppy and use TEDs to set all my timers as I'm not home all the time with SES and all, so you can guess what I'm after.

What format are the ice files when they go on to the BW?

Kezza

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:56

Kezza wrote: What format are the ice files when they go on to the BW?
A proprietary Ice format.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:59

madmax wrote:
Kezza wrote: What format are the ice files when they go on to the BW?
A proprietary Ice format.
Ilke what ...... are they .tgd .xml

Kezza

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Aug 30, 2007 22:38

The EPG is not transfered as data files. It's more like database replication done using a custom protocol. The protocol supports all sorts of other neat features, like IceTV Remote / PIMP.

Blog.

Return to “Ice TV”