Ice TV connection broken

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

laconical
Apprentice

Ice TV connection broken

Post by laconical » Sat Mar 13, 2010 09:22

Hi guys,

I've got the DP-P1 with firmware 1.05.301. Ice TV was working fine up until about a week ago or so, when it simply stopped. I haven't changed any networking equipment or settings, and I can still log in to the Ice TV website so my account still exists.

Basically, the symptoms are: when I enable Ice TV, a heap of messages scroll past and the last couple are:

'Failed to get a channel list'
'Try to get scheduler tasks'
'Failed to scheduler tasks'

When I choose the 'check' menu option, I get an authentication failure message, and in the status area I see these messages:

'Try to ping.'
'Failed to ping.'

I know that the Beyonwiz has network connectivity, because it can browse the shares of the PCs on my home network. So far, I've tried the following:

1. Reset the Beyonwiz
2. Tried a different port in the switch
3. Set a manual IP address instead of using DHCP (I made sure that the gateway is correct under both DHCP and manual settings)

I don't know what I should try next. Any suggestions?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 09:38

Getting a list of PCs proves only the 1st step. The Wiz uses both your gateway (your router) to get out of the network, and your DNS (domain name service) to resolve the hostname of ICE to understand how to get to the ICE server IP address.
So confirm your router is correctly setup to proxy DNS (and isn't locked up in any way, mine tends to lock up when my ISP forces an IP address change to my ADSL router, and then simply a restart of the router is good enough to get the DNS working again, maybe happens once every 3 or 4 months), and then conform your Wiz with DHCP is obtaining your router IP address for the DNS and gateway. If it becomes an ongoing problem, manually set the DNS to a known good DNS server, if you are on Optus, you can use the more reliable Optus corporate ones 203.2.75.2 or 203.2.75.12 (optusnet ones, if your ISP is someone else there might be closer/better DNS servers you can use).

As per below, a generic DNS is googles 8.8.8.8.

Regards

edited to remove non-factual info (Optus corp servers appear to only work for people on the Optus networks now).
Last edited by tonymy01 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

laconical
Apprentice

Post by laconical » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37

tonymy01 wrote:Getting a list of PCs proves only the 1st step. The Wiz uses both your gateway (your router) to get out of the network, and your DNS (domain name service) to resolve the hostname of ICE to understand how to get to the ICE server IP address.
So confirm your router is correctly setup to proxy DNS (and isn't locked up in any way, mine tends to lock up when my ISP forces an IP address change to my ADSL router, and then simply a restart of the router is good enough to get the DNS working again, maybe happens once every 3 or 4 months), and then conform your Wiz with DHCP is obtaining your router IP address for the DNS and gateway. If it becomes an ongoing problem, manually set the DNS to a known good DNS server, like the Optus corporate one 203.2.75.2 or 203.2.75.12 (optusnet ones, if your ISP is someone else there might be closer/better DNS servers you can use, but the whole internet can actually get to those optusnet servers and the Wiz only uses DNS for ICE and WizTV, so it isn't like having one a few more hops away will hurt too much).
Regards
Tried changing the DNS address in the Beyonwiz to the ones you suggested. I then restarted it for good measure and tried again. Now there are different symptoms. When I choose 'check', it sits there for a while saying 'Checking ID and password' and then finishes with 'Network connection failed. Check the network settings first'. In the status area, it simply says 'try to ping'.

I've given the device exactly the same IP address and gateway settings it had when configured to use DHCP. Any other suggestions?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42

Can the Beyonwiz connect to the WizTV server? I.e. is the problem specific to IceTV, or is it a general network problem?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

laconical
Apprentice

Post by laconical » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50

prl wrote:Can the Beyonwiz connect to the WizTV server? I.e. is the problem specific to IceTV, or is it a general network problem?
It appears to be specific to Ice TV. I have no idea what the WizTV server is, but I've got the time set to use NTP, and I can see that the connection to au.pool.ntp.org is working as I'm getting messages saying that the time has been synced successfully.

blip
Master

Post by blip » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:59

tonymy01 wrote:If it becomes an ongoing problem, manually set the DNS to a known good DNS server, like the Optus corporate one 203.2.75.2 or 203.2.75.12 (optusnet ones, if your ISP is someone else there might be closer/better DNS servers you can use, but the whole internet can actually get to those optusnet servers
Those Optus DNS servers refuse queries from my non-optus connection. If you are not on an Optus connection and want to try a different DNS server try the OpenDNS servers - 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or the Google ones - 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.,4.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02

laconical wrote:
prl wrote:Can the Beyonwiz connect to the WizTV server? I.e. is the problem specific to IceTV, or is it a general network problem?
It appears to be specific to Ice TV. I have no idea what the WizTV server is, but I've got the time set to use NTP, and I can see that the connection to au.pool.ntp.org is working as I'm getting messages saying that the time has been synced successfully.
OK, that indicates that both your connection to the outside world is working, and that DNS is working (the NTP server DNS name is being resolved).

The IceTV connection uses HTTP outgoing on port 80. Could there be a firewall on the router preventing outgoing HTTP connections?

WizTV is a free Teletext-like service for the Beyonwiz. You can find out about it by clicking on the Image icon at the top of the forum page :) You can try to connect to the server by pressing the wizTV button (next to SETUP) on your Beyonwiz remote. Registration is required, but it will try to connect to the server anyway, you just won't be able to enter until you register. WizTV also allows you to do firmware updates direct ftom the WizTV server to your Beyonwiz (but not for the current half-official 01.05.320 release).

Like IceTV, the WizTV service uses HTTP, so it would help check whether the problem is the HTTP port or the IceTV service if you try WizTV.

My BWs were able to connect to IceTV a bit earlier this morning, so the service seems to be up.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41

blip wrote:Those Optus DNS servers refuse queries from my non-optus connection. If you are not on an Optus connection and want to try a different DNS server try the OpenDNS servers - 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or the Google ones - 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.,4.
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up! I used to use them when I was on bigpond years ago (well, at least I think it was them, I am fairly sure those numbers have been burnt into my brain from using it in all sorts of "fixes" over the years, but I have been on Optusnet for quite a number of years now also, I guess Optus didn't want the whole world using them and made changes). I shouldn't keep recommending them in that case, and stick with 8.8.8.8 as an ok fix to give a shot.
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:48

blip wrote:
tonymy01 wrote:If it becomes an ongoing problem, manually set the DNS to a known good DNS server, like the Optus corporate one 203.2.75.2 or 203.2.75.12 (optusnet ones, if your ISP is someone else there might be closer/better DNS servers you can use, but the whole internet can actually get to those optusnet servers
Those Optus DNS servers refuse queries from my non-optus connection. ....
Confirmed. Those two DNS servers won't resolve for me when I try them from an iiNet account.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

laconical
Apprentice

Post by laconical » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11

prl wrote:
laconical wrote:
OK, that indicates that both your connection to the outside world is working, and that DNS is working (the NTP server DNS name is being resolved).

The IceTV connection uses HTTP outgoing on port 80. Could there be a firewall on the router preventing outgoing HTTP connections?

WizTV is a free Teletext-like service for the Beyonwiz. You can find out about it by clicking on the Image icon at the top of the forum page :) You can try to connect to the server by pressing the wizTV button (next to SETUP) on your Beyonwiz remote. Registration is required, but it will try to connect to the server anyway, you just won't be able to enter until you register. WizTV also allows you to do firmware updates direct ftom the WizTV server to your Beyonwiz (but not for the current half-official 01.05.320 release).

Like IceTV, the WizTV service uses HTTP, so it would help check whether the problem is the HTTP port or the IceTV service if you try WizTV.

My BWs were able to connect to IceTV a bit earlier this morning, so the service seems to be up.
Ah, I've never even seen the original Beyonwiz remote, so I had no knowledge of the WizTV button. I've now changed the DNS settings to use the OpenDNS addresses. I've also registered and successfully connected to WizTV and looked at some current weather information. So it's only Ice TV that refuses to work. Should contacting them be my next move?

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:30

Have you checked your account settings at IceTV?
Cheers
Gully

laconical
Apprentice

Post by laconical » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37

Gully wrote:Have you checked your account settings at IceTV?
It's official - I am the biggest loser in the entire world. My account at IceTV had expired. I assumed that I still had a valid account simply because I was able to login to their website. Of course, I might have worked this out a lot earlier if the Beyonwiz had given me better messages other than 'try to ping' and 'failed to ping'. But never mind.

Thanks to all for your help!

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43

Mistakes happen or get missed - no big deal.

Happy to have helped.
Cheers
Gully

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Wed Apr 07, 2010 20:21

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing the exact same problem - but my account has not expired.

I have DP-P1 that is connected directly to my Netgear ADSL router.

I have had the IceTV guide working for about 18months and only recently (in the last 2 weeks) it has stopped working for no reason at all. And I have changed nothing on my network.

I have tried upgrading to new firmware, formatting the HDD and resetting to factory settings.

My ISP is iinet. I have tried all suggestions I have found on this forum but with no success.

I can use WizFx to transfer recordings off the BW so I think the networking to the BW is ok.

I mainly get the error "Couldn't Resolve Host". I am unable to access WizTV from the beyonwiz either

any other suggestions or ideas would be highly appreciated.

thanks

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 21:05

That means your DNS is not working. (WizFX only uses your Wiz IP address and mask, it doesn't use DNS and it doesn't use the gateway).
Tony

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Wed Apr 07, 2010 21:52

My Current network settings are:

DHCP - Disabled
IP Add - 192.168.0.11
Sub - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (Modem/Router IP Address)
Primary DNS - 203.000.178.191 (a DNS address I got from whirpool that is iiNets)
Sec DNS - 0.0.0.0

Before this trouble started I had DHCP enabled and it just worked. But this is no longer the case.

I have just changed the way the BW gets time to Network and this works - so some how the BW is getting to the outside world because it is succesfully getting the time.

Dont know what else to try... has been puzzling me for days.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 21:58

yep, I can trace to that DNS: dns.iinet.net.au [203.0.178.191] so would expect it to be ok, but perhaps it can't resolve the ICE DNS entry, can you get to ICE using the URL discussed in the ICE threads here via your PC? If so, I would use the DNS address your PC has. I often find when my ISP alters my ADSL IP address, the DNS stops working properly and I have to reboot the ADSL router to get it working properly again (firewall/iptables in router gets confused I think).
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Apr 07, 2010 22:00

A slightly different suggestion from Tony's - try changing the DNS address to the same as your Gateway address.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 22:16

tonymy01 wrote:yep, I can trace to that DNS: dns.iinet.net.au [203.0.178.191] so would expect it to be ok, but perhaps it can't resolve the ICE DNS entry, can you get to ICE using the URL discussed in the ICE threads here via your PC? If so, I would use the DNS address your PC has. I often find when my ISP alters my ADSL IP address, the DNS stops working properly and I have to reboot the ADSL router to get it working properly again (firewall/iptables in router gets confused I think).
I uses iiNet's DNS (but my DHCP setup actually points my DNS to my router) and I have no problem resolving the IceTV addresses used by the Beyonwiz:

Code: Select all

cambyses:~ prl$ nslookup remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au dns.iinet.net.au
Server:         dns.iinet.net.au
Address:        203.0.178.191#53

Non-authoritative answer:
remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au    canonical name = www.icetv.com.au.
Name:   www.icetv.com.au
Address: 203.145.48.104

cambyses:~ prl$ nslookup www.icetv.com.au dns.iinet.net.au

cambyses:~ prl$ 
But iiNet is my ISP. Maybe its DNS servers only respond to its own customers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Wed Apr 07, 2010 22:38

Hey guys,

I have tried the IP Address of the router/modem 192.168.0.1 as the DNS but no success. this is also the same DNS the computer I am using now uses.

I cannot find the icetv tv address to lookup from the machine to see if it is a firewall/router issue.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 23:01

Peter gives the answer above remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au
Tony

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Wed Apr 07, 2010 23:31

prl wrote:
tonymy01 wrote:yep, I can trace to that DNS: dns.iinet.net.au [203.0.178.191] so would expect it to be ok, but perhaps it can't resolve the ICE DNS entry, can you get to ICE using the URL discussed in the ICE threads here via your PC? If so, I would use the DNS address your PC has. I often find when my ISP alters my ADSL IP address, the DNS stops working properly and I have to reboot the ADSL router to get it working properly again (firewall/iptables in router gets confused I think).
I uses iiNet's DNS (but my DHCP setup actually points my DNS to my router) and I have no problem resolving the IceTV addresses used by the Beyonwiz:

Code: Select all

cambyses:~ prl$ nslookup remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au dns.iinet.net.au

remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au    canonical name = www.icetv.com.au.

cambyses:~ prl$ nslookup www.icetv.com.au dns.iinet.net.au

cambyses:~ prl$ 
But iiNet is my ISP. Maybe its DNS servers only respond to its own customers.
hi
Conducted a rough test using web based dns lookup, you may be right about iinet prl.
looking for 203.145.48.104 as per above ip address for icetv
---
Reverse Lookup -with DNS server 203.0.178.191

Reverse Lookup Results
No PTR records were found for 203.145.48.104
on server 203.0.178.191
---
Reverse Lookup - no dns server specified

Reverse Lookup Results
Host Type Value
104.48.145.203.in-addr.arpa PTR www.icetv.com.au.
cheers
Tony

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Wed Apr 07, 2010 23:33

yeah sorry.

was typing my message as Peter submitted his - so didnt see his until I submitted mine.

So I have ran a nslookup on remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au and i get back the following:

Server: www.icetv.com.au
Aliases - remote-beonwiz.icetv.com.au

but then get DNS request time out twice...

PS - thanks guys for helping.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 08, 2010 08:37

Hi Schneller,

While your current DNS server appears to be valid it doesn't appear to be working for IceTV. This could be a cache issue at your ISP.

I would suggest that you define the secondary DNS server and point it to a public provider like Google. That way if the first lookup fails or times out you should automatically try the secondary and get another wish on the DNS resolution wish.

The Google DNS server is at 8.8.4.4.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 08, 2010 08:39

Hi Schneller,
schneller wrote:So I have ran a nslookup on remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au and i get back the following:

Server: www.icetv.com.au
Aliases - remote-beonwiz.icetv.com.au
The aliases response looks wrong. Is this a typo in creating your post?

Regards,
Ian.

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:29

Hi Ian Sav - that was a typo on my behalf.

I have just tried setting the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4 - but still with not much success.

Occasionally I wont get the error of "Couldn't resolve host".

Instead it looks like it is going to work as it runs through its steps:

1-Get Device List - Success
2-Get Channel List - Success
3- Get EPG Data - here I will either get "Couldn't Resolve Host" or it times out...

I know the BW can talk to the outside world - well at least for the clock settings. It has not problem with resolving the time from the NTP server.

Still cant access WizTV - but never use it so no real concern.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 18:36

schneller wrote:...
Instead it looks like it is going to work as it runs through its steps:

1-Get Device List - Success
2-Get Channel List - Success
3- Get EPG Data - here I will either get "Couldn't Resolve Host" or it times out...
Step 3 is probably where it switches from using URLs with www.icetv.com.au as the host and uses remote-beonwiz.icetv.com.au. If that's the case, it may be that the DNS server isn't handling the alias correctly. Both DNS names should point to the same IP address.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 08, 2010 20:16

Hi,

It is also possible that there are firewall rules in play on the router. Another possibility is a routing issue at the ISP.

Regards,
Ian.

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Thu Apr 08, 2010 21:59

So what is the easiest way on my windows PC to check that it can get to the correct address/URL. Therefore eliminating the ISP at fault.

And as mentioned this was working perfectly for 18months up until 2 weeks ago.

If I contact iinet what can i ask them to do?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 08, 2010 23:38

Hi Schneller,

If the problem is in firewall rules on the router then tests from the PC may not reveal the issue.

Generally speaking, and firewall rules aside, if you can access the websites for IceTV and WizTV from the PC then it would appear likely that the Beyonwiz should equally be able to access those locations. This would tend to indicate that this is not an ISP issue.

You mentioned that you made changes to the Beyonwiz network setup. What prompted these changes? What else was done or changed around that time?

What exactly are all the network settings on your Beyonwiz? What does the Status pop up (GREEN button) report for the active network settings?

Regards,
Ian.

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 00:47

I originally just had DHCP enabled and it worked with no problem at all (for 18months).

Then last week i noticed that the guide was starting to disappear and that none of my scheduled recordings were happening.

Nothing new has been added to my home network - and no changes to the BW to cause this issue.

I then decided to go get the latest firmware for the BW (I had the Dec 08 one, but now have June 09). I also downloaded and installed the latest firmware to my modem while I was at it. I have a Netgear DGN2000.

So my current network settings are: When I hit the Green button.

DHCP - Disable
IP - 192.168.0.11
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (this is the modems address)
Prim DNS - 192.168.0.1 (I have tried using iiNets DNS server but no success)
Sec DNS - 8.8.4.4 (from your earlier suggestion)

When I go to the Ice Guide settings on the BW and hit "Check User Info" sometimes it is successful sometimes it fails... again annoying and confusing.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 09, 2010 01:03

Hi Schneller,

The firmware change on the router sounds interesting. I wonder if this change may be the cause of your issues. Can you revert to the previous router firmware and configuration? That is just use the new firmware on the Beyonwiz and see if you can restore connectivity. Alternatively you can revert the Beyonwiz firmware and see if the problem changes. When you make two significant changes at the same time it is very difficult to work out where the actual problem may be.

If DHCP has been working so well for so long I would suggest you consider going back to DHCP and trying to identify the real problem.

Regards,
Ian.

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 08:52

Ice TV hasn't worked for me since Day light savings ended. All I did was change from +11 hours to plus 10 hours. I haven't been able to update timers since. I have had to revert to manually setting timers. Ice TV have reset my account but no difference. They haven't responded to requests for more help since. Are you sure the issue is yours, and not Ice TV?

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:22

IanSav - I have only updated everything after everything stopped working. And have tried reverting everything back to original states but no success.

blonk - I have tried calling IceTV waiting for call back. I even setup a 30 day trial account with IceTV with differenct user settings and still no success.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 09, 2010 09:31

Hi Schneller,

If I remember correctly your internal network appears to be running okay. If this is the case then it is likely that the problem lies within your router. It may pay to *carefully* go through all the router settings to ensure that everything is correctly set up. Confirm all the settings on the router, particularly those for the DHCP server, then enable DHCP on the Beyonwiz and re-establish your home network before trying again.

When checking your router make sure the newer firmware didn't change something like the basic subnet data. I have seen some router updates where the default router IP address has changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254. Hard coded IP configurations have no hope of dealing with such changes.

If you can, program the router to always allocate the same IP address to the Beyonwiz and your PC every time they ask.

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45

I thought of a possible reason why some timeouts are happening. Perhaps 2 machines on your LAN have the same IP address? By hard coding the Wiz IP address, you actually are at risk of this happening if you hard code it into the same range as the DHCP server on the router has been set to give out addresses.
Tony

smeg888
Master

Post by smeg888 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:02

Very interesting this thread.

Like OPs have said. I changed the time on my S1 to GMT+10 and since then ICE TV hasn't worked at all.

I haven't changed anything else on the BW, newtork, router or other PCs. The BW is still attached to the network, I can see it from my PCs, and play files from the PCs on the BW.

All very annoying, any help would be appreciated.

I will try the obvious tonight and put it back to GMT+11, maybe also auto time and see what happens.

please help.

regards

S

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 13:11

If you see the same message I had in the status window MSG: Invalid Task Action, then I reckon this is because one of the state machines gets in a pickle about a clash. You need to manually delete your timers and then it should all work.
How long ago did you change the offset? That invalid task message seemed to go away approx 8 or so hours after getting it (until I retriggered it with the resend-all again), and once it went away, *new* timers were getting scheduled correctly later in the week (the doughnuts didn't clear for the existing though, luckily my existing only went to Tuesday because of a clash/this MSG: thing, and so on Monday I got the rest of the weeks timers after I had done the offset change and failed resend-all a couple of times on Sunday-morning and evening).
Are you sure ICETV is enabled?

edited: to 8hours as I am looking at my running commentary of this issue on the ICE forums and see I posted at 1.30am straight after changing the offset Sunday morning and seeing the issues, then at 9.30am see that at least the MSG: Invalid Task stopped and so new timers were coming on thru.
Tony

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:21

Hi guys.

Network is fine. There are know problems with the modem changing subnet or ip.

And will not have a problem with DHCP because I have set this to only give IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150. So I then know what wireless devices are attached to the network.

I am waiting for. Return call from ice to see if they have any bright ideas.

Could still be a beyonwiz problem or ISP?

Isn't this stuff meant to make life easier??? Ah well.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 09, 2010 15:44

Hi Schneller,
schneller wrote:Isn't this stuff meant to make life easier???
As I have posted a few times in the past. Adding a Beyonwiz to a correctly configured and working network is *very* easy. Adding a Beyonwiz to a new or unproven network can be difficult. Adding a Beyonwiz to a broken network is asking for trouble.

In general there is so little to configure on the Beyonwiz that it is rarely the Beyonwiz's fault when network problems occur.

Regards,
Ian.

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 19:24

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your words of wisdom - but it doesn't really help the situation. As mentioned on many occasions this setup has been working for 18months. and then it stopped.

I have only tried installing new firmware on my devices to hope this may help.

Anyway... IceTV support called me back (Daniel) he was extremely helpful and let me know that he could see my BW pinging his IceTV server. He also let me know that he could see it getting the channel list which my box does succesfully then he said he could see it requesting EPG data but then it times out some how and he has no idea why... and he was stumped. He let me know that was even newer firmware on the Korean BW site that I downloaded and installed - but still no success.

The good news is that he said he could see it trying to get EPG data but could not understand why it timed out. I then called my ISP (iiNet) and they had no real answers for me, I didnt think they would.

My next test is to take the BW to a friends house. Either the BW will fail or work. And get me one step closer to an answer I hope.

But still I do appreciate any constructive help.

thanks.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 20:11

sounds like you are getting lots of packet loss. So.. how does WizFX work for you? And why doesn't your WizTV work?
Tony

schneller
Apprentice

Post by schneller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 21:02

Hi Tony,

WizFx is very very slow - but I thought this was common. And not every transfer is successful. takes about an hour to transfer a 90min SD show.

And I don't know why the WizTV service doesn't work. I just tried it before and it looked like it was close to working - got to the step where it gave me an activation code - but then it failed the step after this.

Any ideas on the packet loss? all I have on the network is 2x iPhones, 1x Laptop, 1x Desktop, 1x BW. And none of the devices are hammering the network...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 22:19

schneller wrote:Hi Tony,

WizFx is very very slow - but I thought this was common. And not every transfer is successful. takes about an hour to transfer a 90min SD show.
That is slow, less than 1.5MB/s. WizPnP transfers are typically 2-2.5MB/s (still rather slow, though).

It does sound like some sort of traffic problem on your network, as Tony suggested, or maybe a performance problem on the router.

Is it possible to revert the router to the eariler firmware version? The update appears to have been the trigger.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

smeg888
Master

Post by smeg888 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 22:47

hmmm, very interesting.

Had turned Ice of and was using FTA EPG. Turned IceTV back on, BW went mad, kept on locking up and spontaneously turning off after about 2 minutes.

Was running FW 1.5.260 and noticed on the IceTV site that there could be problems with older version of the FW, so upgraded to 301, turned ICE back on all problems disappeared, EPG loaded fine straight away.

I've got a nasty feeling that Ice did some changes in the last week or so that made Ice totally incompatible with older BW FW versions.

Anyway all seems fixed now. Really didn't want FW 301, never had a problem with 260, worked fine for 2 years , have a HTPC that does my DVDs and makes WizTv somewhat irrelevant.

Anyway, all better now, just hope I don't suffer from 301.

regards

S

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 22:59

smeg888 wrote:...
I've got a nasty feeling that Ice did some changes in the last week or so that made Ice totally incompatible with older BW FW versions.
Perhaps it's not so compatible with newer versions, either, even the very newest, given the problems some people have had with the DST changes :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 15:40

smeg888 wrote:hmmm, very interesting.

Was running FW 1.5.260 and noticed on the IceTV site that there could be problems with older version of the FW, so upgraded to 301, turned ICE back on all problems disappeared, EPG loaded fine straight away.

Anyway all seems fixed now. Really didn't want FW 301, never had a problem with 260, worked fine for 2 years , have a HTPC that does my DVDs and makes WizTv somewhat irrelevant.

Anyway, all better now, just hope I don't suffer from 301.

regards

S
I was running 301 when IceTV stopped working. My fix was very similar. I upgraded to 320, and all is now working. So is there something in the Beyonwiz that get's deleted during a firmware upgrade that might have caused the issue, and upgrading resets it? What if I had 320 installed already! Would re-installing the same firmware have the same effect as upgrading? I guess I'll find out in 6 months time.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 17:48

blonk wrote: ...
I was running 301 when IceTV stopped working. My fix was very similar. I upgraded to 320, and all is now working. So is there something in the Beyonwiz that get's deleted during a firmware upgrade that might have caused the issue, and upgrading resets it? What if I had 320 installed already! Would re-installing the same firmware have the same effect as upgrading? I guess I'll find out in 6 months time.
The settings file can get updated by a firmware upgrade if there are new settings options added. It's hard to know exactly what happens in the upgrade process when the new firmware first runs, but I don't think that much happens apart from adding new settings.

The firmware package itself just has a new firmware image that goes into flash, and a header that says what model it's for, and a few other bits ane pieces.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Ice TV”