How IceTV works

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

How IceTV works

Post by prl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 15:56

The Basics

IceTV offers two services to PVRs:
  • A 7-day Electronic Program Guide (EPG), the IceTV Guide.
  • A system for managing recordings on PVRs so that recordings can be made by naming a program or series, and IceTV will track changes in the scheduling of the program and change recording times accordingly, IceTV Interactive.
This post is about how the IceTV service works. It doesn't contain information about how to set it up. For that, see your PVR manual and the IceTV help pages.

The IceTV system uses an unpublished proprietary protocol. This makes it difficult to say much about how IceTV works with complete certainty.

Exchanging data with the IceTV server

The IceTV services have a "pull", rather than "push" model. IceTV-enabled PVRs request updates from IceTV servers, rather than the servers sending updates on their own accord. One compelling reason for this is that most PVR users who buy Internet connectivity from a retail Internet Service Provider (ISP) do not have a fixed, unique IP address for their computers. By using a "pull" protocol, the IceTV server does not need to know the IP address of any of IceTV's customers.

IceTV limits how frequently PVRs may connect to it to update. It appears that IceTV Guide updates can normally be done every 60 minutes, and IceTV interactive updates can be done every 30 minutes. However, the protocol has a "call back in X minutes" message from the IceTV server, which appears to be sent at the end of each exchange, but is also sent if the server is contacted by a PVR before it was due to make contact, and can also be sent if the PVR contacts the server at the correct time, but the server is loaded, and has increased the time between updates.

On Beyonwiz PVRs you can see messages indicating how long it will be to the next update in the status window in SETUP>Network>IceTV.

Beyonwiz PVRs attempt to contact the IceTV server shortly after they start up. If it's longer since they last contacted IceTV than the time they were asked to wait, the server will respond and update the EPG and any timers under IceTV control. If the PVR has been off for only a short time, then it will try to contact the server, and be refused with a "call back in X minutes" reply. The time specified will normally be the time that the PVR would have been able to contact the server if it had been left on. So if the last IceTV Interactive update was about 15 minutes ago, and you sent the Beyonwiz into standby, then start it up again almost immediately, it will get a message to "call again" in about 14-15 minutes.

Beyonwiz recorders don't contact the server at specific times of day. That would be likely to cause congestion on the server. Their contacts with the server are effectively randomised by their startup times.

IceTV makes changes to their EPG throughout the day, often in response to posts on the IceTV Forum, but its main update is made at about 13:00 EST.

Caching the IceTV EPG

So that you will have an EPG available at startup, whether the Beyonwiz was able to contact the server or not, the Beyonwiz saves (caches) the most recent update of its EPG. This is stored on the internal HDD on internal-drive Beyonwiz PVRs, and (in more recent firmware) on the external registered recording drive on a DP-H1, if it has one. If a DP-H1 does not have a registered recording drive, the EPG cannot be saved, and so a H1 without a recording drive won't be able to display an IceTV EPG until it can contact the server.

Sometimes cached information can cause problems in the EPG. If The EPG is not consistent with what you expect it to be, it may be useful to clear the EPG cache (SETUP>System>Initialize>Clear EPG Cache). This is most likely to be needed after a Daylight Savings Time transition.

It's about Time!

Time is clearly critical to the EPG and to managing recording timers.

The Beyonwiz has three ways to maintain its time: AUTO; where it regularly updates its clock from the time-of-day stamps sent in digital TV broadcasts; MANUAL, where the user sets up the time and makes sure that the clock doesn't drift too far from the correct time, and adjusts accordingly; and NETWORK, which uses the Network Time Protocol (NTP) to adjust the PVR's time at startup and then daily (if it's kept powered on).

The system time on the Beyonwiz, the time-of-day information in digital TV broadcasts and in NTP is in UTC (coordinated universal time, or temps universel coordonn?), sometimes still referred to as GMT. Times are translated into local time for display.

AUTO time relies on the ability of the broadcasters to maintain accurate correct time. Although this is now easy to achieve using NTP, they seem to manage to sometimes have several minutes difference between broadcasters, and to broadcast erroneous times after a Daylight Savings Time (DST) transition. This is in spite of, or perhaps because of, the fact that the broadcast time does not jump by an hour at a DST transition! For this reason, many Beyonwiz owners prefer not to use AUTO time.

MANUAL time is simple. The user sets the time on the Beyonwiz, and needs to adjust the time manually if the clock drifts.

NETWORK time is probably the best option if the Beyonwiz is normally connected to the network at startup, and the network will normally be on when the Beyonwiz does its daily (24-hour intervals since the last startup) NTP update. NTP server managers generally appear to do a much better job of maintaining accurate time than the broadcasters. A well-managed NTP server will usually keep time to within less than 0.1 sec of UTC. The default NTP server on the Beyonwiz is au.pool.ntp.org. This is a "virtual" NTP server, which can connect to one of a pool of NTP servers that can be accessed through the one DNS name. At the time of writing, au.pool.ntp.org "fronts" for 60 NTP servers. However, if your ISP has an NTP service, you are likely to get better accuracy, and use fewer network resources, by using your ISP's NTP server. Don't be concerned about network use by NTP. The way the Beyonwiz uses NTP, its network use is trivial compared to the IceTV EPG (which itself is quite modest).

Daylight Saving Time (or, "but doesn't it fade the curtains?")

For the EPG and IceTV to work correctly, you must set your time zone correctly. In AUTO, set your nominal time zone (the non-DST one, so +10:00 for Eastern Standard Time), and then use Enable/Disable DST to switch between DST and normal time. DST: Enable does not automatically switch DST on and off in AUTO mode. You have to switch it manually when DST changes. In MANUAL and NETWORK mode, you set the current Time Offset. For EST states, +10:00 for normal time, and +11:00 for DST. I have no idea why the two cases are handled differently.

Do not change the Beyonwiz's time setting on DST transitions, change its DST setting or Time Offset. If you change the time, you'll probably mess up your EPG and timers.

Daylight Savings Time transitions always seem to create problems for Beyonwiz users. Even if you normally choose AUTO time, it's judicious to switch to MANUAL or NETWORK the day before a DST transition, and for about a week afterward. This reduces the problems by avoiding any incorrect times from the broadcasters.

For the switch off DST in March 2011, IceTV at last issued what could be considered its first reasonably realistic instructions for the DST changeover on Beyonwiz PVRs:
  1. On the Beyonwiz go to the "Setup" via the remote control.
  2. On the second tab labled "Network", go down to "IceGuide on the side.
  3. Set IceGuide to Disable.
  4. Clear the IceTV cached data by following the steps at How do I clear out the cached guide and force an update?
  5. In the setup on the Beyonwiz under Time Setting change the timezone information (If you are using AUTO time then disable DST, for MANUAL or NETWORK time change the time offset by going back by 1 hour).
  6. Login to the IceTV website and go to the My Account section of the website.
  7. Click on the TV Recorders tab under the banner at the top of the screen.
  8. Click on the link to "Resend all recordings for all devices", this will re-queue all recordings and they will then be scheduled on the Beyonwiz during it's next update.
  9. Under the "Network" tab again in the setup of the Beyonwiz under IceGuide, set IceGuide back to Enable.
  10. Once the guide and timers have updated (worst case scenario this can take 1 hour) check your timers to ensure they are now showing up at the correct time.
An additional step between 8 and 9 is recommended:
8a. Wait at least one hour.

This will ensure that at the first IceTV update, both the EPG and then the timers are sent. Timers are normally checked every 30 minutes and the EPG every hour, and if the new timers are sent before the new EPG is sent, things can get confused. Waiting an hour will ensure that both are sent. If you use step 8a, then the update at step 10 should happen immediately.

How the IceTV EPG is updated

The IceTV EPG server data appears to be timestamped, and the .server can respond with EPG changes that have been made since some given time. It's unclear whether the exchange uses the time of the last server contact, or the time of the most recent EPG item in the current EPG. The latter would seem to be the more reliable method.

How timers are updated

This part of the post is quite uncertain. The exact details of this process are proprietary to IceTV, and although the developer of the protocol is a forum member, he is under an NDA to IceTV about disclosing the details. He has, however, made it clear on the forum that the protocol is far more capable than the part of it that IceTV has implemented. So if you have a good idea about how IceTV could be improved, it's likely that the protocol has been designed to support that feature, but it has not been implemented yet.

The timers file on the Beyonwiz (/tmp/config/book.xml) is an XML file, and can be read by anyone who can open up the Beyonwiz for telnet access.

When IceTV is enabled, each timer has a 64-bit IceTV id. It's thought that this number is the identifier of the program (episode for series) in IceTV's database. All timers have this id, even if they were set from the Beyonwiz rather than from the IceTV server, and even if the timer is for a different time span than the scheduled program on IceTV.

At each update, the Beyonwiz informs the IceTV server about any changes to timers made locally on the PVR, and the server informs the PVR about any changes on the server: new recordings added, recordings deleted, program timeslot changes, etc. The changes are resolved, and the server's list of recordings is updated,and the PVR's timer list is updated. If you delete a timer set by IceTV on the Beyonwiz, that has the same effect (after an update) as "Cancel episode" on the IceTV Web. page

Any errors in the update process are reflected by a yellow warning sign icon Image on the recording entry on the IceTV Web page. This is the only indication you get from IceTV about any problems, and there is no further useful explanation of what the problem was. The indication is only available after the update where the problem is detected. You won't normally see the error immediately when you make changes on the IceTV server or on the Beyonwiz (for example, if you make a change on the Beyonwiz that conflicts with a change on the server that hasn't been sent to the Beyonwiz yet). You also may not see the error even after the update unless you Refresh the page in your browser. This is one of the most frequently complained-about aspects of IceTV Interactive (the other is that you can't merge consecutive recordings on the same service).

Sometimes updates that depend on resolution of the changes occurring in the correct order are not resolved properly, for example:

Code: Select all

Initial recordings
2030-2130 Seven
2030-2130 Nine

Update
2030-2130 Nine >> Delete
2030-2130 SBS  >> Add
May not work, even though it should if the changes are applied in the order shown.

Because this update process (and the IceTV update process) is based on sending changes, if the Beyonwiz's idea of the EPG or timer state is different from the server's idea of the state, problems can happen. To resolve these problems, yo need to force the server to resend all its data.

For the EPG, SETUP>System>Initialize>Clear EPG Cache, then SETUP>Network>Ice Guide>Ice Guide: Disable. Then re-enable the Ice Guide and wait for the next update. For recordings, in your IceTV account, My Account>Interactive, click on "Resend all Timers" for the device you want to force a full update for. Check your timer list after the next update!

What do the red, orange and green icons mean?

What do the red, orange and green icons mean?

Some of the nitty-gritty

There's not much reliably known about this.

The Beyonwiz finds its list of IceTV devices (for SETUP>Network>Ice Guide>Select Device) from the URL http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/epg/web ... rmat=plist.

The IceTV devices list for your account comes back something like this (for a Beyonwiz DP-S1 and a Windows Media Centre PC:

<plist version="1.0">
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>id</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
        <key>label</key>
            <string>beyonwiz</string>
        <key>manufacturer</key>
            <string>Beyonwiz</string>
        <key>model</key>
            <string>S1</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
        <key>id</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
        <key>label</key>
            <string>MediaCentreW7</string>
        <key>manufacturer</key>
            <string>Microsoft</string>
        <key>model</key>
        <string>Windows 7</string>
    </dict>
</array>
</plist>
It does transactions with the IceTV server on URL http://remote-beyonwiz.icetv.com.au/cgi ... imp_server.

Thanks to madmax, tonymy01, peteru and jpp for suggestions and corrections.

Jpp has made a Topfield version of this FAQ available on the on the Topfield forum. Some time in Q1 of 2011, the Topfield forum was closed (even for reading) to non-members. You'll need to be a Topfield forum member to read the Topfield version of the FAQ, and I have no way of checking whether the link is correct.

Last edited 25 Apr 2011
Last edited by prl on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:03, edited 6 times in total.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

jpp
Guru

Re: How IceTV works

Post by jpp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 16:30

Wow, thanks Peter. I'll digest all of this later tonight and add any bits to it that haven't been covered and that I am aware of.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 18:59

This is my result from going to the devices URL:

<plist version="1.0">
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>id</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
        <key>label</key>
            <string>beyonwiz</string>
        <key>manufacturer</key>
            <string>Beyonwiz</string>
        <key>model</key>
            <string>S1</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
        <key>id</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
        <key>label</key>
            <string>MediaCentreW7</string>
        <key>manufacturer</key>
            <string>Microsoft</string>
        <key>model</key>
        <string>Windows 7</string>
    </dict>
</array>
</plist>
So as you can see, I have two "pimp" associated devices (PeterU did indicate what that meant once many many moons ago now, when we were nutting out some 5K EPG stuff!). I have a third device, my yahoo widget (ICE application that runs on the Yahoo widget engine) that requires a device token and hand-off and device setup in the devices page, but it is merely a way of setting timers or looking at the EPG that is actually poorer to use than the Web interface most times, and of course it isn't a recorder, so isn't listed in my "pimp" devices list above.
The device number is the one chosen when you go to setup ICE on the PVR (it will retrieve the list of devices, and then you choose the number associated with your Wiz. You have to of course setup this device in your account settings at ICE, and the URLs Peter references here all require your account login details to access.

Regards
Tony

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Fri Feb 26, 2010 21:10

Excellent piece prl.

Regarding the DST changeover, I'm sure that 'Resend All Timers' has always worked flawlessly for me *without* deleting all the existing timers. I seem to recall that some people reported issues with daily view timers, while others had no issues with these at all. I guess we'll get another set of data in a few weeks time......

[edit] Oh yeah....I forgot I was involved in that linked discussion..... :oops: It seems that Wiz-created timers are the biggest problem, possibly only those which do not match a complete program slot, such as 5min wake-up timers. I must remember to create both kinds before the transition to see what happens. Perhaps if we could all do this, and all follow our allocated procedures as per last time in that linked thread, we might get even more useful data this time. Gully, tony and prl, are you guys willing to do that again?

[double edit] Actually I just thought of some more timers. So my proposal is as follows:

Before transition, set up the following timers for any day after the transition:
1. a short view timer which does not exactly match any programme cell.
2. a short recording timer which does not exactly match any programme cell.
3. a manually-created view timer which *does* exactly match a programme cell, preferably on ch.7 or 9 because they don't tweak their guide data. Something rock-solid like the evening news.
4. a manually-created recording timer which *does* exactly match a programme cell (similar to 3 above)
5. an EPG-created view timer, again preferably on ch.7 or 9.
6. an EPG-created recording timer i.e. not created through Ice.

Then, at transtition time:
madmax - change offset, resend timers.
Gully - change offset, clear cache, resend timers
tony - disable Ice, change offset, clear cache, resend timers, enable Ice.
prl - disable Ice, delete timers, change offset, clear cache, resend timers, enable Ice.

Have I missed anything?

It would be even better if we could get 4 more users on board, so that we will have 2 users doing each method for duplicate results. Anyone else want to help us out with this?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 22:04

madmax wrote:Excellent piece prl.
Thanks.
madmax wrote:Regarding the DST changeover, I'm sure that 'Resend All Timers' has always worked flawlessly for me *without* deleting all the existing timers....
That was my conclusion after the last DST changeover. I think the "prl" scheme works, but is unnecessarily complicated, but I'm happy to set up the timers as you suggest for a test. I already habve a short non-aligned view timer (H1, daily Ice Interactive update), nd a non-aligned record timer (S1, Thursday 7:56 report). I can easily add the others.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 22:49

I am 95% sure when I did the resend all, it resent them all, but it didn't purge the existing. End result, clash nightmare (as the existing were an hour out due to the fact that the Wiz doesn't add an adjusted GMT offset to timers set for the time after the DST transition). A busy schedule will clash in a number of places when all timers are created for one hour later without deleting the incorrect ones first.
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Feb 26, 2010 23:18

tonymy01 wrote:I am 95% sure when I did the resend all, it resent them all, but it didn't purge the existing. End result, clash nightmare (as the existing were an hour out due to the fact that the Wiz doesn't add an adjusted GMT offset to timers set for the time after the DST transition). A busy schedule will clash in a number of places when all timers are created for one hour later without deleting the incorrect ones first.
It purged existing for me though IIRC, as posted my Wiz created weekly one for the end of The 7.30 Report on Thursdays was lost.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 18:09

I've incorporated suggestions made here and in PMs into the FAQ.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 22:15

Gully wrote:It purged existing for me though IIRC, as posted my Wiz created weekly one for the end of The 7.30 Report on Thursdays was lost.
I meant existing that *it* managed. It shouldn't be doing any purging of your own timers you create on the Wiz of course, this is some kind of bug (I do remember losing my daily wakeup timer not so long ago, possibly as a result of this happening from ICE, but this is an ICE bug).
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Feb 27, 2010 22:34

tonymy01 wrote:
Gully wrote:It purged existing for me though IIRC, as posted my Wiz created weekly one for the end of The 7.30 Report on Thursdays was lost.
I meant existing that *it* managed. It shouldn't be doing any purging of your own timers you create on the Wiz of course, this is some kind of bug (I do remember losing my daily wakeup timer not so long ago, possibly as a result of this happening from ICE, but this is an ICE bug).
Tony. I think we are saying the same thing here.

With the DST changeover and resend timers, on my Wiz all the timers were deleted but it did delete the only manual timer I had as well and of course it should not do that.
Cheers
Gully

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 07:53

I'll be back home tonight. Hope my Wiz recorded everything correctly since the transition...

So, did anybody create some test timers before the transition as described in my post above? If so, what were the results?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 08:59

"resend-all" failed miserably this time, it kept giving an error in the Wiz status window and showed doughnuts from that point on. See: http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=2450.0
Thus my daily wakeup timer was untouched this time! But so were every other one...

ICE really screwed up this time also I think, they adjusted the guide the wrong way initially by the sounds of JPPs post and per my observation with some of my timers that were set, and then of course there were 2 timers per show 1hour out (prior to any clicking of "resend", see: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5204 ).
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06

tonymy01 wrote:"resend-all" failed miserably this time, it kept giving an error in the Wiz status window and showed doughnuts from that point on. See: http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=2450.0
Thus my daily wakeup timer was untouched this time! But so were every other one...

ICE really screwed up this time also I think, they adjusted the guide the wrong way initially by the sounds of JPPs post and per my observation with some of my timers that were set, and then of course there were 2 timers per show 1hour out (prior to any clicking of "resend", see: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5204 ).
It appears to me that there were a wide variety of problems experienced by Beyonwiz IceTV users, depending on which IceTV region EPG they were getting, and exactly how they tried to compensate for the DST change. I never had two timers per show, for example, nor the error message that Tony mentions. I did have my IceTV recordings stuck on "queued" and I seemed unable to get them sent.

I also only ever had three EPG entries post-DST change that were for the wrong time slot (ACT IceTV EPG).

One thing that does appear common is that the IceTV "Resend all timers" operation didn't work as it was suggested they would in the All of my timers are incorrect now that daylight savings is in effect. (Updated) FAQ on the IceTV Help area.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 17:38

Well, with all the reports of 'Resend timers' not working properly, I decided to forget about the test timers and just do the transition. I changed the offset, checked the EPG, all timers were 1hour late. I then immediately did the 'Resend timers', then immediately went back and checked the Wiz. No change to the timers. So I went and unpacked my suitcase for 10 mins, then checked again. All the timers had been correctly adjusted at some point during that 10 mins.

I dunno what you guys are going on about, it all works perfectly. :D Perhaps then, my steps (which are the simplest) are also the most reliable? Could there be another factor, such as taking too long between changing the offset and doing the resend? I purposely did it immediately, before any 'changes' could be noticed by Ice, if you follow my thinking.

I wish I had done those test timers now.....oh well, only 6 months to wait for the next opportunity...... 8)

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 18:34

I think part of my problem was that there were timers incorrectly set for wrong timeslots because ICE mucked up the transition themselves briefly this time. Thus shows I hadn't planned recording were highlighted in their EPG, and due to some overlapping two slots, had ICE thinking I was recording 2 shows. I guess their resend-all must have send really silly info to the Wiz as a result, which the Wiz couldn't comply with (because I had manually tidied up some of these silly incorrectly set timers). I didn't touch my "1hour out" timers, as these are effectively "correct" in the Wiz eyes (GMT+11), but I did touch the ones that were more than an hour out due to the ICE muck up. It was just a complete disaster to get done smoothly this time. Now I finally don't have any silly doughnuts in ICE, it is all back to normal and sending new updates correctly.
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 21:12

madmax wrote:Well, with all the reports of 'Resend timers' not working properly, I decided to forget about the test timers and just do the transition. I changed the offset, checked the EPG, all timers were 1hour late. I then immediately did the 'Resend timers', then immediately went back and checked the Wiz. No change to the timers. So I went and unpacked my suitcase for 10 mins, then checked again. All the timers had been correctly adjusted at some point during that 10 mins.

I dunno what you guys are going on about, it all works perfectly. :D Perhaps then, my steps (which are the simplest) are also the most reliable? Could there be another factor, such as taking too long between changing the offset and doing the resend? I purposely did it immediately, before any 'changes' could be noticed by Ice, if you follow my thinking.

I wish I had done those test timers now.....oh well, only 6 months to wait for the next opportunity...... 8)
Well, it's not as though I didn't try that. I initially did just as you did, changed the time offset, waited for IceTV to re-synch, saw the timers one hour off, and then did a resend, waited for the resynch, and only one timer was transferred. Tried several more resynchs, to no really useful effect (transferred one more timer).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dwd1249
Apprentice

Post by dwd1249 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 21:59

I have some weird timers that have a scrambled name that neither me or the Mrs told ice to record. I think they could have been an hour the wrong way from things we wanted to record.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Apr 07, 2010 09:46

Last night I tried the same procedure on my dad's unit, and got nothing but doughnuts after 2 hours. :(

But, there were two potential causes here. Firstly, he had already done the offset change about 48 hours before I did the 're-send' last night, and secondly, his timer list was really screwed up with duplicate weekly timers for shows he forgot were already configured via Ice Interactive, and about 25 missed timers still in the list following his week-long power outage.

So it was no real surprise that Ice chucked a hissy fit. I'll go back tonight and if it's still the same, I'll try deleting all the timers before another re-send.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 09:47

Has anyone on the Beta team been in touch with Daniel of ICETV? I found out some interesting things about this whole debacle when I did - some details on the Toppy Forum - How ICETV works.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42

jpp wrote:Has anyone on the Beta team been in touch with Daniel of ICETV? I found out some interesting things about this whole debacle when I did - some details on the Toppy Forum - How ICETV works.
So far, no-one from IceTV has responded to posts on the IceTV forum about the latest DST fiasco. I haven't been in contact.

There didn't seem to be anything in what Daniel told you that helps explain the timer problems with IceTV on Beyonwiz, particularly all the recordings getting stuck on red doughnuts.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24

prl wrote:
jpp wrote:Has anyone on the Beta team been in touch with Daniel of ICETV? I found out some interesting things about this whole debacle when I did - some details on the Toppy Forum - How ICETV works.
So far, no-one from IceTV has responded to posts on the IceTV forum about the latest DST fiasco. I haven't been in contact.

There didn't seem to be anything in what Daniel told you that helps explain the timer problems with IceTV on Beyonwiz, particularly all the recordings getting stuck on red doughnuts.
True, but I just wanted to highlight the fact that although some screw ups were made on the part of ICETV, not all of the DLS issues can be blamed on them. With regard to the doughnuts on the Wiz, sounds very much like it is not sending back the code ICETV requires to have the timer settings acknowledged. In the case of the TMS Toppies, I received yellow triangles by way of acknowledgement for timers after the DLS changeover. Timers were all OK on the PVR so I'm just letting them run out as time progresses.
Phil.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44

jpp wrote:... I just wanted to highlight the fact that although some screw ups were made on the part of ICETV, not all of the DLS issues can be blamed on them. With regard to the doughnuts on the Wiz, sounds very much like it is not sending back the code ICETV requires to have the timer settings acknowledged. ...
I agree that it's very much up in the air about just what the cause of the Beyonwiz IceTV DST update was.

What does appear pretty certain is that the instructions for the changeover in the IceTV FAQ All of my timers are incorrect now that daylight savings is in effect. (Updated) are insufficient to get Beyonwiz IceTV timers updated correctly for the last DST changeover. From what you've posted, it doesn't look much better for the TMS Topfields :(.

For me, it wasn't simply that the Beyonwiz wasn't telling IceTV that the timers weren't being updated (though that did appear to be the case for two timers that were sent), my main problem was that the Beyonwiz didn't get any timers except those two. So for me, the doughnuts syating in my IceTV Web page actually reflected the reality that almost all my timers weren't sent until I deleted and recreated all my recordings.

I'm just going to add a note to the IceTV FAQ to say that This DST transition doesn't appear to have been all that helpful in deciding what the minimum correct IceTV DST update was for the Beyonwiz :(

The silence from Beyonwiz Australia and IceTV on this issue isn't encouraging.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Apr 07, 2010 23:57

madmax wrote:I'll go back tonight and if it's still the same, I'll try deleting all the timers before another re-send.
Update: Dropped in and had a look, all timers were correctly sent down at some point in the last 24 hours. So it did work, just not as quickly as mine did.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:14

jpp wrote:With regard to the doughnuts on the Wiz, sounds very much like it is not sending back the code ICETV requires to have the timer settings acknowledged.
That's not how the protocol is supposed to work. The Beyonwiz PVR tells the IceTV server the state of it's scheduler when it connects. It's up to the IceTV server to then figure out it's state and the web based user interface. The PVR scheduler state is always taken to be the definitive reference and the IceTV server needs to adjust it's view to match the PVR. If the timers have been set on the Beyonwiz and the IceTV web site does not reflect this, then it's almost certain that the problem is at the IceTV server end.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:43

peteru wrote:
jpp wrote:With regard to the doughnuts on the Wiz, sounds very much like it is not sending back the code ICETV requires to have the timer settings acknowledged.
That's not how the protocol is supposed to work. The Beyonwiz PVR tells the IceTV server the state of it's scheduler when it connects. It's up to the IceTV server to then figure out it's state and the web based user interface. The PVR scheduler state is always taken to be the definitive reference and the IceTV server needs to adjust it's view to match the PVR. If the timers have been set on the Beyonwiz and the IceTV web site does not reflect this, then it's almost certain that the problem is at the IceTV server end.
Hi Peter,
I'm still coming tp grips with all of this. Why is it that that the doughnuts are not turned into solids till at the very earliest the next timer fetch cycle? This suggests to me that either the PVR doesn't send the OK acknowledgement till the next fetch cycle or ICETV don't update the status till the next cycle. The yellow error triangles likewise don't turn up till the next fetch cycle at the earliest.

Just why this (acknowledgement of set timers over DLS) has been such an issue on the Wiz, but not on most other PVRs is a bit of a mystery as I would assume, and what I have been told, the protocol is the same for all media devices that use ICETV.
Phil.

Return to “Ice TV”