New Ice-tv user... initial thoughts.

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Starionx
Master

New Ice-tv user... initial thoughts.

Post by Starionx » Tue May 12, 2009 19:40

I've just signed up for the free month and have setup and downloaded the Ice-Tv data. Some obvious first up differences - ABC info for a week (woohoo), all programs start finish on the half-hour (still trying to work out if this is a good or bad thing).

The good - Repeat info, full description of show.

The bad - NRL games don't have the teams playing (how could they miss this???)

The confusing - at 12.30am tonight on 9HD, there is a program title called 'N/A Channel Nine' with a description of 'Channel Nine & affiliates only'. I thought Ice-Tv won the court case?!

With the many posts about the conflicts with Ice-Tv timer creation and then subsequent manual changing of the timer (which I do a lot of when there are multiple timers that are set to go off after multiple timer recordings), I'm not sure if it's worth keeping.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue May 12, 2009 19:43

Here are the ICE forums: http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php
Now find posts about "one court case doesn't mean another ruling by a different judge is magically wiped"... effectively they need to get legal advice about what is ok and what isn't and see the original ruling lifted.
You will see lots of info about ICE and Nein dilemmas on the forums, it is only going to get better as time goes on.
Regards
Tony

download
Guru

Re: New Ice-tv user... initial thoughts.

Post by download » Tue May 12, 2009 20:04

Starionx wrote:IABC info for a week (woohoo), all programs start finish on the half-hour (still trying to work out if this is a good or bad thing).
Nice (for us tidy afficionados, but somewhat meaningless. Regardless of what source you use for schedules (FTA, ICE, Paper, etc.) you need to ad padding before and after (although the BW allows this to be automatically set on all recordings in its menu)
NRL games don't have the teams playing (how could they miss this???)
with a description of 'Channel Nine & affiliates only'. I thought Ice-Tv won the court case?!
ICE have been essentially reduced to a 100% predictive model this past year (ie what they didn't see an ad for they couldn't use). They have won their case and I believe shortly after May 16 they should be able to fill in all the gaps you mention.
With the many posts about the conflicts with Ice-Tv timer creation and then subsequent manual changing of the timer (which I do a lot of when there are multiple timers that are set to go off after multiple timer recordings), I'm not sure if it's worth keeping.
You mean via the internet? Yes this area needs some work to make it more set and forget (with confidence). Handling clashes and merging timers and priority levels etc. needs to be looked at. Hopefully ICE will now have the resources and security to do some development in this and other areas.

Note they have limited a $69 annual subscription (basically a $1.30 a week) available if you sign up before 22 May.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Starionx
Master

Post by Starionx » Tue May 12, 2009 20:56

Yeah, the cheaper yearly subscription rate is what drew me to it. I will probably get it, but at this point I will still use the FTA epg and see what improvements Ice can come up with.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Tue May 12, 2009 21:25

I use Ice on both the Wiz and the Toppy without problems. The channel nine problem has been irritating, but I blame Nine and a stupid judge for that temporary inconvenience - IceTV are doing what they can and will only succeed and improve if supported. The possibility that Freeview will result in the end of a meaningful FTA EPG makes the survival of IceTV even more vital.
I use interactive for more than half a dozen series recordings each week and I find the only thing I really need to be careful about is when a show that's been playing on HD and SD, gets set to only SD eg Bones this Sunday. Checking the IceTV website a couple of times per week is quicker that setting manual timers anyway. Otherwise it's been plain sailing for me.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Return to “Ice TV”