Tivo news

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Karl
Apprentice

Tivo news

Post by Karl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 13:12

So what do people think of the new deal between Seven and Tivo to bring Tivo to Australlia in 2008?

Will this threaten or help ICETV?

I suppose it could drive ICETV out of business if Seven and the other channels decide to freely make the EPG freely available.

They could even broadcast it properly in the digital datastream. Fancy that.

Would the Beyonwiz be able to handle any change in the future with a firmware update? I suppose it would already work fine with a broadcast EPG?

Me I suspect Seven will just make the EPG locked to the Tivo in some diabolical way.

blip
Master

Re: Tivo news

Post by blip » Sun Jun 03, 2007 14:07

Karl wrote:I suppose it would already work fine with a broadcast EPG?
It only displays now and next even if more data is available.

chinga69
Apprentice

Post by chinga69 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 16:10

well that needs to be fixed as abc send a lot more guide data then now and next.
which the 5000 displays with out any problems
Cheers Chinga69

rpoppes
Apprentice

Post by rpoppes » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01

Karl wrote:So what do people think of the new deal between Seven and Tivo to bring Tivo to Australlia in 2008?

Will this threaten or help ICETV?

I suppose it could drive ICETV out of business if Seven and the other channels decide to freely make the EPG freely available.

They could even broadcast it properly in the digital datastream. Fancy that.

Would the Beyonwiz be able to handle any change in the future with a firmware update? I suppose it would already work fine with a broadcast EPG?

Me I suspect Seven will just make the EPG locked to the Tivo in some diabolical way.
And here's some more news (sorry about the formatting--> from PDF and at work, no time).

EPG wars ahead?
Ten, Foxtel stitch up
new deal, ahead of
7/Engin TiVO launch
SYDNEY ? An updraft of investor interest swept shares in
Publishing and Broadcasting Limited (PBL) up nearly four percent to $17.90 yesterday, as
Foxtel and Network Ten inked a digital retransmission agreement.
The move catapults Ten into the electronic program guide (EPG) market it
had previously refused to consider ? and sets the stage for a marketplace battle
with the TiVO personal video recorder to be marketed by Seven and Engin.
Under the new arrangement, Ten will allow its signal to be retransmitted on the Foxtel digital
platform, meaning viewers will be able to access Ten?s programming details using Foxtel?s electronic program
guide. Previously Ten and Seven have declined to have anything to do with Foxtel?s EPG, which allows Foxtel
subscribers to pre-program TV recordings.
?For the first time,? Foxtel and Ten said in a joint statement, ?Ten?s signal will be available to Foxtel satellite
subscribers in Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong, Sydney and the NSW Central Coast.?
Foxtel already has cable and satellite retransmission arrangements with SBS, the ABC and Nine, and analogue
transmission of 10 to cable customers, but yesterday was the first time Ten has agreed to the EPG.
Along with Seven, it has held back, and now Seven stands alone, presumably banking on the future success
of its TiVo deal. TiVo has been a huge hit in the US, where the maker has deals with major cable companies, but takeup
in Australia could be more problematic. The PVR is to be launched early in 2008 by Seven Media Group,
a joint venture between Kerry Stokes? Seven Network and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts. VoIP outfit Engin,
34pc owned by Seven, will be retail distributor. Whether or not SBS, the ABC, and Nine
are now free to also participate in Seven?s TiVo model, was not clear yesterday. Viewers of Ten on Foxtel were promised access
to the full range of Foxtel digital services including Foxtel iQ personal digital recorder functions. Foxtel and
Ten expect to launch the offering next month. PBL holds a 25 percent stake in Foxtel, News Corp holds a further 25
percent, and Telstra holds the remaining 50 percent. Yesterday?s statement also said
Ten?s high definition (HD) service will also be retransmitted via cable when FoxTel launches its own HD offering in 2008.
After the announcement was made on the ASX yesterday, PBL shares rose 68 cents to $17.90. Shares in Telstra
inched up by six cents to $4.66 and News fell 13 cents to $26.15. Ten was down one cent to $2.37

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31

Hi,
blip wrote:
Karl wrote:I suppose it would already work fine with a broadcast EPG?
It only displays now and next even if more data is available.
This was fixed in the 01.03.077 firmware.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:35

Hi Rpoppes,

Was there any mention of a free to air EPG?

Regards,
Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Wed Aug 08, 2007 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

rpoppes
Apprentice

Post by rpoppes » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:19

IanSav wrote:Hi Rpoppes,
rpoppes wrote:And here's some more news (sorry about the formatting--> from PDF and at work, no time).

EPG wars ahead?
Ten, Foxtel stitch up
new deal, ahead of
7/Engin TiVO launch
SYDNEY ? An updraft of investor interest swept shares in
Publishing and Broadcasting Limited (PBL) up nearly four percent to $17.90 yesterday, as
Foxtel and Network Ten inked a digital retransmission agreement.
The move catapults Ten into the electronic program guide (EPG) market it
had previously refused to consider ? and sets the stage for a marketplace battle
with the TiVO personal video recorder to be marketed by Seven and Engin.
Under the new arrangement, Ten will allow its signal to be retransmitted on the Foxtel digital
platform, meaning viewers will be able to access Ten?s programming details using Foxtel?s electronic program
guide. Previously Ten and Seven have declined to have anything to do with Foxtel?s EPG, which allows Foxtel
subscribers to pre-program TV recordings.
?For the first time,? Foxtel and Ten said in a joint statement, ?Ten?s signal will be available to Foxtel satellite
subscribers in Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong, Sydney and the NSW Central Coast.?
Foxtel already has cable and satellite retransmission arrangements with SBS, the ABC and Nine, and analogue
transmission of 10 to cable customers, but yesterday was the first time Ten has agreed to the EPG.
Along with Seven, it has held back, and now Seven stands alone, presumably banking on the future success
of its TiVo deal. TiVo has been a huge hit in the US, where the maker has deals with major cable companies, but takeup
in Australia could be more problematic. The PVR is to be launched early in 2008 by Seven Media Group,
a joint venture between Kerry Stokes? Seven Network and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts. VoIP outfit Engin,
34pc owned by Seven, will be retail distributor. Whether or not SBS, the ABC, and Nine
are now free to also participate in Seven?s TiVo model, was not clear yesterday. Viewers of Ten on Foxtel were promised access
to the full range of Foxtel digital services including Foxtel iQ personal digital recorder functions. Foxtel and
Ten expect to launch the offering next month. PBL holds a 25 percent stake in Foxtel, News Corp holds a further 25
percent, and Telstra holds the remaining 50 percent. Yesterday?s statement also said
Ten?s high definition (HD) service will also be retransmitted via cable when FoxTel launches its own HD offering in 2008.
After the announcement was made on the ASX yesterday, PBL shares rose 68 cents to $17.90. Shares in Telstra
inched up by six cents to $4.66 and News fell 13 cents to $26.15. Ten was down one cent to $2.37
Was there any mention of a free to air EPG?

Regards,
Ian.
No I was looking for that same information. Also wonder what it will mean for IceTV.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 20:10

Guys, there's no need to quote the whole post when you're only replying to one sentence....

And there's no need to quote the whole post when your post will immediately follow the one you are replying to.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Return to “Ice TV”