Goodbye ICE TV

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Voodle
Apprentice

Goodbye ICE TV

Post by Voodle » Sun May 03, 2009 10:55

Well, I tried it and I wanted it to work, I really did, but it's not as good as I thought it would be. I loved the fact that you could program a timer remotely with an iPhone or web interface but it's not reliable. Here are the main problems:

--- a program that has been set to record displays an exclamation triangle a day later. Why does it do this when there are no conflicting timers? It didn't record the show.

--- it leaves a lot of 'once only' timers in the list and doesn't clean them out when the show's been recorded. It would be better to have one 'weekly timer' and adjust the start time accordingly.

--- on some shows when you tell it to record a series via web browser/iPhone, it doesn't. No matter how many times you press the 'record series' button the series won't set up to record. Support told me to reset the BW, but this is a problem with their web page/iphone page, not the BW.

--- the ONE HD EPG was not displaying when using ICE TV. Turn ICE off and the station's broadcast EPG returns.

--- with the broadcast EPG you check the shows you want to watch regularly to see what's coming up anyway. So at that point you can set your own timers up. I see no difference in looking at an ICE guide or looking at a broadcast EPG.

--- the broadcast EPG is free and ICE is not. If the ICE guide went for more than 7 days then there could be merit with it, but unfortunately that's a big limitation.

So, the only reason ICE was really useful was to record a series that had possibly varying start times. However there are too many other negatives and limitations. It's simpler and easier to maintain the list manually.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun May 03, 2009 11:08

I'm surprised at your experience as all those things are working well for me and generally do for most people.

If you want to give it another try, I'm happy to try and work through the process with you, as I am sure others would be.
Cheers
Gully

whatgift
Apprentice

Post by whatgift » Sun May 03, 2009 12:43

I too am surprised about the problems you've been having - I live in regional NSW and I have found the service fantastic, although not perfect.
I wonder if something else is going on to cause you all these problems.

Return to “Ice TV”