Old/Past Timers still showing in Timer List

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Monaro427

Old/Past Timers still showing in Timer List

Post by Monaro427 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 16:35

Why do I have old/past timers still showing up in my timer list? It goes back well over a month. Most of them a prefixed with an asterisk ('*'), but not all and they all say 'Once"

I guess it might be a Beyonwiz issue and not a IceTV issue, but who knows..

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Mon Apr 27, 2009 16:50

I've had a few of these also, but I don't think I've had any missed recordings. And some of these old timers appear to be programs that I did not set to record. So I'm guessing it's a quirk with Ice's software?? I'm running Network time (a feature of the current beta firmware), not sure if that's relevant.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 17:13

When you do a "resend all" from your ICE profile, it does seem to set some that have already passed. But the Wiz doesn't clear them down, so they stay forever in the list until you delete them.
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 17:21

tonymy01 wrote:When you do a "resend all" from your ICE profile, it does seem to set some that have already passed. But the Wiz doesn't clear them down, so they stay forever in the list until you delete them.
I've always wondered a bit why it doesn't clean up past timers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Monaro427

Post by Monaro427 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 17:55

At least I'm not alone. Personally I think that the Beyonwiz should delete past timers, even if they are set by IceTV. What's the point in keeping them. Maybe run through a check at start-up or something?

Thanks for your replies.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 18:06

There is a good reason to keep them, to a certain extent. If you get a power fail during a recording, when your power is returned, the Wiz will look to see the timer list and see if there is anything to record. If the timer was cleared down at the beginning of the event, it wouldn't be able to achieve this, but I suppose it could do it at the end of the event (probably already does) and I guess it doesn't have a housekeeping option to clean up the silly ones plonked there by ICE (i.e. the Wiz only alters the timers when it finishes recording the show relating to that timer). Perhaps Beyonwiz should add a housekeeping option so that any new timers (or weekly ones that shift to the next week after recording is complete) that show up will trigger the housekeeping and keep the silly ones out fairly regularly anyway.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 18:25

tonymy01 wrote:There is a good reason to keep them, to a certain extent. If you get a power fail during a recording, when your power is returned, the Wiz will look to see the timer list and see if there is anything to record. If the timer was cleared down at the beginning of the event, it wouldn't be able to achieve this, but I suppose it could do it at the end of the event (probably already does) and I guess it doesn't have a housekeeping option to clean up the silly ones plonked there by ICE (i.e. the Wiz only alters the timers when it finishes recording the show relating to that timer). Perhaps Beyonwiz should add a housekeeping option so that any new timers (or weekly ones that shift to the next week after recording is complete) that show up will trigger the housekeeping and keep the silly ones out fairly regularly anyway.
Regards
There's a good reason to keep timers whose start time has passed, but whose end has not, but I can't see any good reason to keep timers whose end time has passed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Monaro427

Post by Monaro427 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 18:36

I'm with you Peter :)

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 19:42

All I am saying is that perhaps the housekeeping on the timers is only done when they finish recording, and Beyonwiz hasn't added extra housekeeping because they didn't deem it necessary.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 27, 2009 21:11

Hi,

Perhaps Beyonwiz wasn't expecting IceTV to send new timer entries for events that have already passed. Not an unreasonable expectation, in my opinion.

I think this issue should initially be addressed by IceTV who should stop sending outdated timer events.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 23:10

You can get outdated timers in your timer list without involving IceTV:
- create a timer for tomorrow (say from the Guide), but at a time earlier than the current time
- call up the Timer list, edit the timer and change the date to today's date
- save

Presto, you have an outdated timer!

Then again, I don't think the Beyonwiz would expect anyone to do that, either :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 23:14

Bruiser333 wrote:You can get outdated timers in your timer list without involving IceTV:
- create a timer for tomorrow (say from the Guide), but at a time earlier than the current time
- call up the Timer list, edit the timer and change the date to today's date
- save

Presto, you have an outdated timer!

Then again, I don't think the Beyonwiz would expect anyone to do that, either :)
It should get caught by checks on the timer validity. Definitely a bug.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 23:27

prl wrote:It should get caught by checks on the timer validity. Definitely a bug.
It looks like the validation on the time is done with reference to the date, but the date validation is not done with reference to the time.

But as far as bugs go, it's not a big deal...

Return to “Ice TV”