old epg data

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

sctsprin
Master

old epg data

Post by sctsprin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 14:07

It would be nice if old epg data, ie: epg data belonging to programs that have already aired prior to the current time, but within the last week are kept on the epg but grayed out.

This would make it easier to program the timers, if for example you just missed a show, and would like to program a timer for the following week.

At present if you just miss a show, you need to wait a day or two for the epg to be updated, then scan to the end of the epg data to find the show and program a timer.

It'd be much easier to just select the old program which is greyed out, and hit record to bring up the pop up timer menu.

it would also be good to set the skip forward 1 day button to skip forward 24hrs from the current time, rather than skip to midnight, and then skip forward in 24hr intervals from midnight.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Aug 08, 2007 15:03

Hmmm, don't know about the first bit......I see navigation issues.....

But I like the 24hr skip, in fact I've been meaning to add this to the Wish List for a while - will add now.......

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 20:07

madmax wrote:Hmmm, don't know about the first bit......I see navigation issues.....

But I like the 24hr skip, in fact I've been meaning to add this to the Wish List for a while - will add now.......
I've always wished the epg at least retained old data for yesterday. It can be annoying wanting to see what was one just a while ago and no longer having the data there.

And while having a whole week may seem like a good idea, it would be of limited use for most people and would impact on the amount of future data that you could access (the memory can only hold data for a limited number of days/channels/programs before it can't hold any more).

So it will become a question of 'do you want to see a week's worth of new data... or only 4 days worth of new data and 3 days worth of old data?' I think we'd all prefer to see as much new data as possible?
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Aug 09, 2007 00:19

The EPG is held on disk in an SQLite database. One could quite easily store months of EPG on disk and construct queries to load only a few screen fulls worth of data when required.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

sctsprin
Master

old epg data

Post by sctsprin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:38

i would think that the current downloaded period should be always displayed and old data greyed out.

ie: if new epg data is downloaded on a monday, and it's currently wednesday, monday and tuesday should be displayed in grey, data before monday could be removed.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04

But isn't the data downloaded every day (or night)?

sctsprin
Master

epg data

Post by sctsprin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:58

yes, but the tv channels only update the printed guides once a week, so you could have say monday designated as the first day and always display epg data from monday to sunday, with old data greyed out.

Return to “Ice TV”