Free weekly EPG from the commercial stations?

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

eolian
Apprentice

Free weekly EPG from the commercial stations?

Post by eolian » Sun Jul 29, 2007 09:33

I've heard that all Australian commercial stations (7, 9 & 10) are now providing weekly EPG data. Does anyone know how to suck it down to the BW? I'm currently using ICE-TV with no complaints, but thought this is worth looking into....

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Free weekly EPG from the commercial stations?

Post by IanSav » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:06

Hi Eolian,
eolian wrote:I've heard that all Australian commercial stations (7, 9 & 10) are now providing weekly EPG data. Does anyone know how to suck it down to the BW? I'm currently using ICE-TV with no complaints, but thought this is worth looking into....
Where did you hear this?

Regards,
Ian.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 14:39

If they are providing weekly epg data - and this is the first I've heard of it - you should just need to disable iceguide in the menu.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sun Jul 29, 2007 15:53

Is this where you got the idea :|

FreeTV Australias media release,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=51546
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 30, 2007 09:13

Hi Bohemian,

The Free TV "offer" comes with many strings attached and will not be sent in a form usable by conventional STBs anmd PVRs. Custom software and potentially a network connection may be required to implement that EPG. The data is to be encrypted and only available to manufacturers who agree to cripple some of their PVR functions.

This Free TV announcement has a number of interesting clauses that were ripped apart in the thread you quote.

Regards,
Ian.

eolian
Apprentice

Post by eolian » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:52

Should have known there would be a caviat!! So you need a STB licenced to decrypt their EPGs.... how typical... but an understandable approach at the same time for the commercial stations who survive on advertising revenue.

I think many people will agree with me however when I say I usually dislike the adds on TV and love being able to skip them with my BW! The fact that sometimes the adds are louder than the program you're watching only makes them more irritating!

Return to “Ice TV”