ICE TV

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

chaddy

ICE TV

Post by chaddy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20

I've noticed the P1 is Ice TV compatible. Will you need a direct LAN connection to download the EPG or can it be done using a USB drive?

SimonB
Master

Re: ICE TV

Post by SimonB » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:59

chaddy wrote:I've noticed the P1 is Ice TV compatible. Will you need a direct LAN connection to download the EPG or can it be done using a USB drive?
Direct or wireless. The BW communicates directly and their aren't any other alternatives, yet.

Simon....

Nixay
Apprentice

Post by Nixay » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:23

chaddy wrote:I've noticed the P1 is Ice TV compatible. Will you need a direct LAN connection to download the EPG or can it be done using a USB drive?
Looks like it'll have to be a direct LAN connection, since the DP-P1 doesn't appear to have wireless networking.

SimonB
Master

Post by SimonB » Sun Jul 22, 2007 14:47

Nixay wrote:Looks like it'll have to be a direct LAN connection, since the DP-P1 doesn't appear to have wireless networking.
Yes, sorry, I missed the reference to the P1.

Simon....

znelbok
Apprentice

Post by znelbok » Mon Jul 23, 2007 13:20

If you have three P1's (or a mix of BW's) do each of them connect separately to the ICETV service for their epg, thus downloading the same info three times, or can you save it to a file on the network and each of them connect to the local file and update from there.

Those of you who have broadband will say who cares, but I unfortunately cant get broadband so it becomes an issue for me..

Thanks

Mick

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 23, 2007 14:09

Hi Mick,
znelbok wrote:If you have three P1's (or a mix of BW's) do each of them connect separately to the ICETV service for their epg, thus downloading the same info three times, or can you save it to a file on the network and each of them connect to the local file and update from there.

Those of you who have broadband will say who cares, but I unfortunately cant get broadband so it becomes an issue for me.
By default each of the Beyonwiz units will attempt to fetch a fresh copy of the guide from the Ice website. As I understand the situation Ice is moving away from a manual download (via USB stick) model. I don't know how big the data file that is fetched would be but I don't think it is going to be overly large for a dialup connection.

I would suggest that you contact Ice directly and explain your situation. They may be able to set you up with a USB type solution or they may see the merit in creating a proxy appliacation where a single PC can connect to the Internet to collect the update and then rebroadcast the update so that all devices within your network can get their update from this central PC.

Regardless of how this problem is to be solved, you will need Ice's assistance.

Regards,
Ian.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Jul 23, 2007 14:18

IanSav wrote:Regardless of how this problem is to be solved, you will need Ice's assistance.
Maybe not. IIRC the P1 and S1 can transfer settings between each other so maybe an option to set only one to download the ice data plus the ability to transfer the data between the 2 is possible from bw's end. Though as the download is very small, and IIRC only new data is downloaded, it's not going to be a high priority addition.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 23, 2007 14:35

Hi Dave,
Dave? wrote:
IanSav wrote:Regardless of how this problem is to be solved, you will need Ice's assistance.
Maybe not. IIRC the P1 and S1 can transfer settings between each other so maybe an option to set only one to download the ice data plus the ability to transfer the data between the 2 is possible from bw's end. Though as the download is very small, and IIRC only new data is downloaded, it's not going to be a high priority addition.
The current Beyonwiz firmware does not appear to have any open network ports so I doubt this will be available at this time.

Regards,
Ian.

znelbok
Apprentice

Post by znelbok » Mon Jul 23, 2007 16:08

Thanks for the comments.

I will approach IceTV and see what they have to say.

Mick

znelbok
Apprentice

Post by znelbok » Tue Jul 24, 2007 19:52

I received a reply from IceTv regarding the EPG update from a local source.

"While this may be possible for multiple Topfield?s, this is not possible for the Beyonwiz. The Beyonwiz is hard coded to download the guide information from our server"

This would indicate that it could be changed by firmware.

I am not sure I like the idea of being locked into a subscription based source, especially when I already have an alternate source that is suitable for my needs. I believe that Beyonwiz need to be lobbied for a change their policy on EPG sources.

Mick.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jul 25, 2007 09:40

Hi Mick,
znelbok wrote:I am not sure I like the idea of being locked into a subscription based source, especially when I already have an alternate source that is suitable for my needs. I believe that Beyonwiz need to be lobbied for a change their policy on EPG sources.
What source were you thinking of?

I wouldn't mind if my Beyonwiz could share the free 24 hour ICE guide that my computer uses.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Jul 25, 2007 16:24

The protocol used to retrieve the EPG info from IceTV is the same protocol that can be used to remotely manage the PVR. Therefore, by design, each PVR needs to make connection to the server. I don't think that IceTV have the resources or inhouse expertise to create a caching proxy to be used by end users.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Foxtail
Master

Wireless

Post by Foxtail » Sun Aug 05, 2007 09:52

Thinkng of buyng the BW P1, I have a 24" iMac, what do I need to transfer IceTV via wireless to the P1?.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Wireless

Post by IanSav » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:57

Hi Foxtail,
Foxtail wrote:Thinkng of buyng the BW P1, I have a 24" iMac, what do I need to transfer IceTV via wireless to the P1?.
The DP-P1 needs to be able to directly access the Internet (via a wireless access point should be OK) so that it can fetch the data from IceTV website direct.

Regards,
Ian.

danielicetv
Apprentice

Re: Wireless

Post by danielicetv » Mon Aug 13, 2007 21:28

Foxtail wrote:Thinkng of buyng the BW P1, I have a 24" iMac, what do I need to transfer IceTV via wireless to the P1?.
The DP-P1 does not have wireless built-in (only Ethernet), so if you did want to do this wirelessly you would need to use a wireless bridge of some kind (with a wireless access point at the other end). Either way it doesn't generally matter what type of computer you have as long as the DP-P1 can access the internet directly.
Regards,

Daniel Hall
CTO.
IceTV

mozza
Apprentice

wireless P1

Post by mozza » Mon Aug 13, 2007 22:05

I am sure that you can use a wireless device connected to the network port which then can be networked through a wireless router to connect to the internet and pc and item such as a DLINK DWL 810G which you would use to make xbox wireless etc

Has anybody tried this

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Aug 13, 2007 23:43

I've been successfully using an IceBox2 as a wireless bridge for a Beyonwiz, a Toppy, an Xbox and couple of other PVRs.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Ice TV”