Guide Update frequency ?

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

bohemian
Master

Guide Update frequency ?

Post by bohemian » Thu Jul 12, 2007 14:34

Not sure who will know the answers to these questions, danielicetv, or someone at Beyonwiz.

Wondering how often does the Bwiz update the ICE guide while the Bwiz is running?

I know the guide is loaded when the Bwiz starts up from standby.

And how many KiloBytes of data is sent with each update ?
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jul 13, 2007 01:15

The last time I checked, the server settings set the updates to at least 15 minutes apart. For devices that only pull down EPG data, somewhere between 1 and 6 updates per day should be enough. The protocol only retrieves updates to the current state, so the amount of traffic on a good implementation will be very small.

Devices that can be managed remotely (the BW is not in that category yet) transfer only a tiny bit more data (about 1kB) per transaction. The original design worked on a 5 minute interval between polls, but I don't know whether scalability issues at IceTV have been solved. It'll work with longer poll intervals, it just means you won't be able to remotely schedule new recordings at the last minute.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

eolian
Apprentice

Post by eolian » Sun Jul 29, 2007 09:30

Well mine doesn't seem to be updating automatically. I have to shutdown and reboot to get updates, so I'm currently doing that twice a week. Is there a setting somewhere I have to change?

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 14:33

I've never left mine on for extended periods of time so I've never noticed it not updating. AFAIK it should update regardless of whether you reboot or not.

Instead of rebooting you can delete the cached IceTV data which will then make the bw re-fetch the data. Setup > System > Initialize > Clear IceGuide Disk Cache Then you can check on the IceGuide download/process progress via Setup > Network > Ice Guide > IceGuide Status

But as PVRs tend to need the occasional reboot to clear the memory it's probably better to just reboot the bw once a week.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Return to “Ice TV”