Problem Selecting Device

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

ThatTime

Problem Selecting Device

Post by ThatTime » Mon Jun 25, 2007 17:53

Hello,

I'm having a problem configuring the IceTV service on my DP-S1 that I'd appreciate your help with. When I'm setting up the service the Beyonwiz confirms my username and password correctly, then downloads the EPG and processes it. The problem occurs when I try to select the device name. When I do that a small grey box pops up and just sits there. Pressing OK doesn't do anything, pressing Exit just goes back to the parent IceTV menu.

I imagine the BW is trying to download the device names I have configured in my IceTV account and show them to me so I can select one. However the grey box never changes, it just remains empty - except for a black horizontal line running through it, which appears to be a column separator.

I have three device names set up in my IceTV account. They are EyeTV, Beyonwiz1 and Beyonwiz2. As the names suggest I've been using the service with a Elgato EyeTV setup and it has been working fine. I created the Beyonwiz 1 and 2 device names in case I wanted to schedule two shows at a conflicting time and needed to choose which tuner I wanted to record with. In hindsight that wasn't necessary so I'll remove one of those device names tonight when I get home.

The Beyonwiz is wired to my home network and can play movies across the link just fine, plus the IceTV account details are confirmed so that proves the device is seeing the network and Internet correctly.

Any other ideas about what the problem might be?

Thanks
Aaron

joez71
Apprentice

Post by joez71 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 22:09

I had a similar problem re-entering my password and clearing the ice tv cache fixed it (probably more to do with clearing the cache i'd say).

good luck

joez71

DaveR
Wizard

Re: Problem Selecting Device

Post by DaveR » Tue Jun 26, 2007 03:27

ThatTime wrote:When I'm setting up the service the Beyonwiz confirms my username and password correctly, then downloads the EPG and processes it. The problem occurs when I try to select the device name
Hi Aaron, If it's downloading nad processing the EPG then it would seem to be working ok (apart from being unable to select a device). Does the epg data show up in the guide?
ThatTime wrote:I have three device names set up in my IceTV account. They are EyeTV, Beyonwiz1 and Beyonwiz2. As the names suggest I've been using the service with a Elgato EyeTV setup and it has been working fine. I created the Beyonwiz 1 and 2 device names in case....
Ok, does are the device names 'beyonwiz1' or 'beyonwiz 1' etc? If the latter then the space in the name could be the problem.

One other thing: When you created the beyonwiz device names did you select 'Beyonwiz S1' as the 'Recorder'?
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

ThatTime

Re: Problem Selecting Device

Post by ThatTime » Tue Jun 26, 2007 13:11

Dave? wrote:Hi Aaron, If it's downloading nad processing the EPG then it would seem to be working ok (apart from being unable to select a device). Does the epg data show up in the guide?
Thanks for your reply Dave. Yes the epg data shows up in the guide.

Dave? wrote:Ok, does are the device names 'beyonwiz1' or 'beyonwiz 1' etc? If the latter then the space in the name could be the problem.
They were literally "Beyonwiz1" and "Beyonwiz2", no spaces but they did have a capital B. I've now deleted one of the devices and renamed the other to just "Beyonwiz". That hasn't helped. Next up I'll drop the capital B and if that doesn't work I'll try disabling the feature and rekeying everything back in - as per joez71's suggestion above. Thanks for that joez71.
Dave? wrote:One other thing: When you created the beyonwiz device names did you select 'Beyonwiz S1' as the 'Recorder'?
Yep, sure did.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.

Aaron

wazh
Apprentice

Post by wazh » Sun Jul 01, 2007 22:13

I noticed this topic. I have a similar problem but I am not getting any EPG info at all. It fails to get the device list and when I did the check it said it got a weird response from the ICETV server?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Actually had a couple of ideas. I might give these a go

ThatTime

Fixed!

Post by ThatTime » Sun Jul 01, 2007 22:45

I finally got a bit of time to test this again and I'm happy to say it's now working.

If it wasn't the disabling, re-enabling and re-entering all the details that fixed it up, it was me not waiting until the device correctly processed the EPG before I tried to select the device.

The Beyonwiz shows both the beyonwiz and EyeTV devices under the select device option so it's not a case sensitive situation.
wazh wrote:I have a similar problem but I am not getting any EPG info at all. It fails to get the device list and when I did the check it said it got a weird response from the ICETV server?
wazh, this sounds more like an account problem. Does the username and password check ok?

Aaron

danielicetv
Apprentice

Post by danielicetv » Wed Jul 04, 2007 18:05

Two things with this.

It has recently been discovered that the Beyonwiz does not like having spaces in the names of the devices setup under Remote, so removing any spaces in the names can help.

Secondly while the Beyonwiz is actually processing EPG data it will not check for a device list (similarly if you try to check the userid while the EPG data is being processed it will come up saying that "System is busy, try again later"), if you give it a couple of minutes to finish loading the guide data and try to "Select a Device" again it should go straight through.
Regards,

Daniel Hall
CTO.
IceTV

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 21:23

I don't know what I am doing wrong.
I put my details in, and enable ice guide, and get "device ok",
then "Try to get a channel list", "Failed to get a channel list".
I have also seen "try to ping", "try to get a device list" "success on getting a device list".. if that means anything. The device list window is just a greenish/grey box with a vertical line in it with no options or anything (I thought it might have been related to USB or something).
The "Check User Info" comes back with "network connection failed, check the network connection first" however the network connection is fine, I can do other network things from pc to it and vice-versa (using wlan with 802.11b, but this plays recordings from my PC fine... well, the ones it has codecs for).
Now I do have a pre-existing account I use for my 5K (well, TED), I hope this doesn't explain the issue?
I have gone onto the Ice website and made sure I was setup for Sydney with HD channnels ticked, I have also setup a "beyonwiz s1" device in the icetv remote page to see if this would help...
I don't know where to turn to next?
Tony

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:13

tonymy01 wrote:I don't know what I am doing wrong.
I put my details in, and enable ice guide, and get "device ok",
then "Try to get a channel list", "Failed to get a channel list".
I have also seen "try to ping", "try to get a device list" "success on getting a device list".. if that means anything. The device list window is just a greenish/grey box with a vertical line in it with no options or anything (I thought it might have been related to USB or something).
The "Check User Info" comes back with "network connection failed, check the network connection first" however the network connection is fine, I can do other network things from pc to it and vice-versa (using wlan with 802.11b, but this plays recordings from my PC fine... well, the ones it has codecs for).
Now I do have a pre-existing account I use for my 5K (well, TED), I hope this doesn't explain the issue?
I have gone onto the Ice website and made sure I was setup for Sydney with HD channnels ticked, I have also setup a "beyonwiz s1" device in the icetv remote page to see if this would help...
I don't know where to turn to next?
Dumb question but you haven't explicitly said you've done so. You've entered your router gateway and pri DNS addresses?
Last edited by jpp on Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:14

Hi Tony,

Your post details a device "beyonwiz s1", it looks like it has a space before the "s1".

According to Daniels previous post spaces cause issues. Goto the Ice website and modify your options to use something without a space.

Mine is DPS1_1 and that works great. Comes up in the green box as Id:0 followed by DPS1_1.

When I select check user info it returns:

IceGuide Status:
Ping: OK
Wait 47 minutes to get epg data.

Cheers

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:15

DHCP. So no need to.
DNS is the same address also, and my router passes thru DNS so this is ok (my PC has the same settings via DHCP in fact).
edit: to answer the post above- this is the pop down list choice to the right of the name (has s1, p1 and a couple of other options), I gave it a very simple name "beyonwiz".
Last edited by tonymy01 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:16

tonymy01 wrote:DHCP. So no need to.
DNS is the same address also, and my router passes thru DNS so this is ok (my PC has the same settings via DHCP in fact).
Ah, I think DrPhil's got it.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:18

Got what? it has DNS and gateway addresses, assigned by DHCP and confirmed with the green button.
Tony

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:20

tonymy01 wrote:Got what? it has DNS and gateway addresses, assigned by DHCP and confirmed with the green button.
The spelling of your Wiz's name - see a few posts up.
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:24

tonymy01 wrote:DHCP. So no need to.
edit: to answer the post above- this is the pop down list choice to the right of the name (has s1, p1 and a couple of other options), I gave it a very simple name "beyonwiz".
Oh OK, gotcha,

So the device name is actually "beyonwiz" (without the s1).

Dunno Tony.

I remember setting up mine and before I worked out that there had to be a device on the Ice website I could at least see a ping OK message. I think you said you got that and it said it got a device list so it must be working a bit.

Try another shorter device name perhaps?

Cheers

EDIT: Changed pink to ping

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:28

So what do you get when choosing the "check name" option? This is where I get the network fail suggestion.
I am wondering if it is my username causing problems, my username is actually my (full) email address, maybe the dots or "@" symbol is getting mucked up by the wiz?
Tony

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:32

Let's know when you've solved it Tony 8) . I know I had a fair amount of trouble getting it to go, but can't remember all the steps I took to finaly get there :( .
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:33

Not sure what you mean by check name.

That must be something that is available if the connection does not work.

My username is 7 letters, you might be right about the @ etc.

Phil(2)

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:34

tonymy01 wrote:So what do you get when choosing the "check name" option? This is where I get the network fail suggestion.
I am wondering if it is my username causing problems, my username is actually my (full) email address, maybe the dots or "@" symbol is getting mucked up by the wiz?
Yeah, sounds a like good hunch....
Phil.

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:07

You need to go to ICETV web site and set up your device in the Remote section - then you will get the name showing in the BW and all will work as if by magic....... the instructions are on the card that came with the BW, it took a while before I resorted to RTFM....
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sat Sep 15, 2007 00:52

I think I recall someone else who used their full emal address as a username and it cased a problem.

Try something without @
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 08:41

brianh wrote:You need to go to ICETV web site and set up your device in the Remote section - then you will get the name showing in the BW and all will work as if by magic....... the instructions are on the card that came with the BW, it took a while before I resorted to RTFM....
I already did that, mentioned in one of my messages on this thread. Nothing appears in that greenish box (although I now see how the box works, when I decided to try a factory reset and do a partial rather than full scan, the same box comes up with the channel number in the left side, and a frequency in the right). The factory reset didn't help. Still trying to find the spot on the IceTV webpage that lets me change my username.... ahh, of course, not under password, it is under "billing".
Getting some progress, now I see the device list.
Well...grr... Daniel, you reading here?
It now almost works, yay-
MSG "Your current subscription is limited to use with the IceTV Widget"...
Tony

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sat Sep 15, 2007 08:45

Hang in there Tony,

Technology is challenging (as you probably know :) ) I know my job would not exist if what I do were simple....

Cheers

Phil

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sat Sep 15, 2007 09:37

DrPhil wrote:Hang in there Tony,

Technology is challenging (as you probably know :) ) I know my job would not exist if what I do were simple....

Cheers

Phil
Tony, you did get a coupon with your Wiz didn'y you? I didn't and had to ring Daniel and then got put thru to sales and spoke to Phil (yet another one :o ). Explained that no coupon came with my P1 and he then gave me a few numbers to fill in on the www.icetv..../beyonwiz portal. Done that? the message you are getting suggests that there is something wrong in that department. Now that my neurons are reconnecting themselves a bit better, that was was I had trouble with. I thought that as I had a valid ICETV subscription, I wouldn't need to do any more.

Edit. Nah...I think I've got my wires crossed here...I think I needed to get the numbers to extend my subscription by the 3 months. Ah well, good luck anyway...and let us all know how you finally fixed the problem.
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sat Sep 15, 2007 09:50

Is it possible to sign up for one of those free trial subscriptions to do some testing

Use a simple user name etc?

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webfreetrial.cgi

Cheers

Phil(2 :) )

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:30

I initially had trouble with the P1 reporting that it couldn't get a channel list, and it would give a message with a time (in mins) that it would retry to get that list.

Everything else checked out ok, so I called IceTv and they told me that it downloads a channel list once only every day per device (P1 S1 etc..). He got me to clear the Ice Cache, then he reset the channel list at Ice's end and it all worked and has been ever since.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:43

I would prefer not to use my 3 months bonus until my other subscription runs out, hence why I was trying to use my other subscription. But it appears somehow it is only flagged as a Widget subscription and not suitable for the beyonwiz (I didn't know there was multiple tiers or flavours of icetv subscription!)
But the username thing is still a bug.
Tony

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:03

Tony, my subscription was simply extended by 3 months when I added the bonus..... all it does is extend the date that it will expire, although as you say if yours is for a different flavour of service.... have you tried giving IceTV a call yet?
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:10

Until this morning, I didn't know whether I had a network bug (despite the comms ok between PC and BW on the same subnet of course), a Bwiz bug the way it handles ICETV, or an ICE bug....
I didn't have 1, definitely had 2 (username issue), definitely now I fixed 2 have worked out I have 3.
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Sep 15, 2007 23:11

alwayslooking wrote:I initially had trouble with the P1 reporting that it couldn't get a channel list, and it would give a message with a time (in mins) that it would retry to get that list.

Everything else checked out ok, so I called IceTv and they told me that it downloads a channel list once only every day per device (P1 S1 etc..). He got me to clear the Ice Cache, then he reset the channel list at Ice's end and it all worked and has been ever since.
Sounds like what I need to do as every time I want to redo the setup I'm ending up with that message and clearing the cache alone doesn't do the trick.

I guess I'll just leave it till the time runs out as they won't open much before then.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sun Sep 16, 2007 14:25

brianh wrote:Tony, my subscription was simply extended by 3 months when I added the bonus..... all it does is extend the date that it will expire, although as you say if yours is for a different flavour of service.... have you tried giving IceTV a call yet?
This is confirmed :D

I just used my bonus 3 months and my subscription expiry moved forward three months even though it had 10 months to go (now 13 months).

Thanks ICE / BW.

Phil

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Sep 16, 2007 14:42

DrPhil wrote:This is confirmed :D

I just used my bonus 3 months and my subscription expiry moved forward three months even though it had 10 months to go (now 13 months).

Thanks ICE / BW.

Phil
Did you manage to do that online because I keep getting told, including by IceTV staff, that you have to do it in person with the Sales Dept.
Cheers
Gully

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Sun Sep 16, 2007 15:25

Gully wrote:
DrPhil wrote:This is confirmed :D

Thanks ICE / BW.

Phil
Did you manage to do that online because I keep getting told, including by IceTV staff, that you have to do it in person with the Sales Dept.
On line Gully - using the numbers supplied by ICE over the phone.
Phil.

DrPhil
Master

Post by DrPhil » Sun Sep 16, 2007 16:03

Yep,

Goto icetv.com.au/beyonwiz as per the instruction on the back of the redemption card

Worked like a charm for me.

Phil

alwayslooking
Master

Post by alwayslooking » Sun Sep 16, 2007 16:09

Mine worked ok, thanks for the tip guys :D

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Sep 16, 2007 16:12

jpp wrote:On line Gully - using the numbers supplied by ICE over the phone.
Strange - not what IceTV guy said yesterday.

Anyway, my sub runs to November so I will ring them when I get a chance.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Ice TV”