Forward skip button

Moderators: Gully, peteru

BlakeJ1987_
Apprentice

Forward skip button

Post by BlakeJ1987_ » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13

Hi, I recently reinstalled openatv and the right arrow is no longer a 15 second skip button when playing media. It's now the number 3, is there a way I can get it back to normal?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Forward skip button

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:21

BlakeJ1987_ wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13
Hi, I recently reinstalled openatv and the right arrow is no longer a 15 second skip button when playing media. It's now the number 3, is there a way I can get it back to normal?
Do you mean that the RIGHT button sends a "3" button press, or that you need to press "3" to perform a 15s skip?

If the former, then that's almost certainly a bug that the OpenATV crowd need to sort out.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

BlakeJ1987_
Apprentice

Post by BlakeJ1987_ » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32

I need to press 3 to perform the skip. I'd like to go back to pressing the right arrow for the skip.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Feb 08, 2021 13:13

IIRC OpenATV uses Advanced Media Center by default, perhaps you could turn that off (there's an option somewhere).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 08, 2021 19:41

BlakeJ1987_ wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32
I need to press 3 to perform the skip. I'd like to go back to pressing the right arrow for the skip.
What does the RIGHT button currently do then?

Mine acts as a skip button, though the time period is dynamic and will increase with each subsequent press of RIGHT.

What are the relevant settings set to under "Recording settings"?

Have you set up any unusual or non-standard "Hotkeys" under the UI settings?

Did you restore an old backup after installing OpenATV again? Maybe you did something back then that has slipped your mind.

BlakeJ1987_
Apprentice

Post by BlakeJ1987_ » Mon Feb 08, 2021 19:56

With the beyonwiz image it's skipped ahead predetermined seconds, no it acts like the FF button X2, x4, etc. I believe I did a clean install of openatv from there site after selecting the V2. I've had a look in hotkeys and haven't changed anything. In the recording settings part it only says about the numbered buttons and how long they skip for, but no way to change the buttons.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Feb 08, 2021 20:15

BlakeJ1987_ wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 19:56
With the beyonwiz image it's skipped ahead predetermined seconds, no it acts like the FF button X2, x4, etc. I believe I did a clean install of openatv from there site after selecting the V2. I've had a look in hotkeys and haven't changed anything. In the recording settings part it only says about the numbered buttons and how long they skip for, but no way to change the buttons.
Erk, sorry, I re-tested, this time in front of the TV rather than via the Web Interface.

And yep, I had completely forgotten that the LEFT/RIGHT behaviour on the upstream code is REW/FF and not skip.
And yes, that's what mine does too (sorry).

One of the many enhancements made to the BW firmware is the abundance of skip options to make it more friendly to what Australian users are used to.

I don't know there is much to be done about it, or if any plugins are available to enhance the skipping options.

I do now remember petitioning Captain (rather weakly) to include some of the Beyonwiz skipping functionality into OpenATV when we were putting the original beta firmware together, but there was no appetite for it. Their local market does not have a strong focus on recording playback and even less of a focus on timeshift, since not all boxes are guaranteed to have harddisks. (they seem to be more interested in these STBs for their ability to tune to many network, cable, satellite and terrestrial services all from one box).

Just a tip for future posts, it does help to fully explain your problem at the outset. It helps us jog our own memories on some of these topics. If you had mentioned that the RIGHT button acted as FF, I probably would have remembered earlier ;) (I only use OpenATV very occasionally these days). As it was, I was posting from work and was working from my increasingly faulty recollections ;).

BlakeJ1987_
Apprentice

Post by BlakeJ1987_ » Tue Feb 09, 2021 01:41

Is there a way to have the beyonwiz settings, but openatv skins? Cause honestly there the only things I really like with openatv at the moment.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 02:24

BlakeJ1987_ wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 01:41
Is there a way to have the beyonwiz settings, but openatv skins? Cause honestly there the only things I really like with openatv at the moment.
In short no. Though there is a lot of technical baggage behind that answer.

The Beyonwiz firmware is sufficiently different to the upstream OpenATV source code, that the skins are no longer interchangeable. The differing feature sets go a bit beyond just having settings available as well. Our local code contributors have done quite a lot of work on the programming side to get the Beyonwiz firmware to where it is. :)

You might be able to manually customise the keymap file manually though, but that can get a bit technical and is quite hacky. (it can sometimes break things if updates are applied over a hacked up configuration).

Ironically, adoxa provided a somewhat neat way to customise the keymap file for this type of application (without risking breaking things), but that was only on the Beyonwiz firmware. I don't think it would have been submitted and/or adopted into the OpenATV firmware.

It is a shame that OpenATV have stuck to this way, since FF/REW is exactly what you don't want your users to be using in this day and age. The Beyonwiz skip settings are amazingly more flexible.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 09:45

It looks as though ATV is set up to be able to use the REW/FF buttons for skip. I'm using Version/Build 6.4 (8 October 2020).

In MENU>Setup>Recording & Timeshift>Recording Settings, it looks like setting

Use time jumps for fast forward/backward: yes (default)
Time jump: Use normal fast forward for speeds: never (default 2x, 4x)

should engage an adaptive forward/backwards skip, but I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps more experimentation is needed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:15

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 02:24
Ironically, adoxa provided a somewhat neat way to customise the keymap file for this type of application (without risking breaking things), but that was only on the Beyonwiz firmware. I don't think it would have been submitted and/or adopted into the OpenATV firmware.
I actually took the custom keymap from OpenATV.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:35

adoxa wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 13:13
IIRC OpenATV uses Advanced Media Center by default, perhaps you could turn that off (there's an option somewhere).
MENU > Plugins > Enhanced Movie Center (Setup) > Disable EMC

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06

prl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 09:45

I saw those options but could not for the life of me figure out what the hell it was trying to describe. They seemed to be settings to manipulate the "pulse length" of vision you get when engaging FF/REW.....or something.
There were also additional skip multipliers further down the list that seemed to complicate things even further.

BlakeJ1987_
Apprentice

Post by BlakeJ1987_ » Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:07

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06
prl wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 09:45

I saw those options but could not for the life of me figure out what the hell it was trying to describe. They seemed to be settings to manipulate the "pulse length" of vision you get when engaging FF/REW.....or something.
There were also additional skip multipliers further down the list that seemed to complicate things even further.

Hi, I managed to change some settings in the recording settings about the time jump, I managed to get it to jump, it's kinda sluggish compared to the beyonwiz image, however it skips about 10 seconds at a time which is cool enough just to skip those annoying commercials.

Thanks for your help guys

Return to “OpenATV & Other 3rd Party Images”