V2 compatible 4TB HDDs

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KEL
Apprentice

V2 compatible 4TB HDDs

Post by KEL » Sat Jan 29, 2022 09:38

Just purchased a V2. Can anyone recommend a reliable 4TB that will work/be-compatible please ?

IanL-S
Master

Re: V2 compatible 4TB HDDs

Post by IanL-S » Sat Jan 29, 2022 13:03

I am currently using a 4TB Seagate Expansion (2.5") drive which is attached to at a powered USB hub which is then attached to the USB 3 ports. I have also used it attached directly to both the USB 3 port and USB 2. For a short period I used a 4TG Seagate Expansion drive (self powered - 3.5"). To date I have not found a USB HDD drive that would not work. I have also used an assortment of WD and Seagate USB HDDs (both 2.5" and 3.5" selfpowered) with my U4 and T2's.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:49

Thank you.
I ended up buying a Western Digital WD Elements Desktop 4TB USB 3.0, 3.5" External Hard Drive (for $157) - which I will try out shortly.

Will parallel the V2 up with my existing T4.

Also bought a "Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD Dual Tuner DVB-T/T2/C", (because the Beyonwiz site no longer provides dual tuners for V2), to expand the V2 to 4-tuner.
++++ Now of course, I have trouble locating a short (6"?) pigtail RF TV jumper cable to connect it to the USB 2.0 port !? ++++

After I connect up the V2, and all goes well, I'll then retire (mothball) the "backup" DP-P2 which I still have connected ... 8-))...
Good units and here's hoping that Beyonwiz stays in business !
Regards.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20

KEL wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:49
++++ Now of course, I have trouble locating a short (6"?) pigtail RF TV jumper cable to connect it to the USB 2.0 port !? ++++
I plug the tuner directly onto the RF output of the V2 so its sticks out rigidly on the back, and then use the bundled USB cable to loop back into the USB port :).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:29

KEL wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:49
Also bought a "Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD Dual Tuner DVB-T/T2/C", (because the Beyonwiz site no longer provides dual tuners for V2), to expand the V2 to 4-tuner.

Two things -

Unless you happen to have been lucky and received an older unit, likely you'll find this won't work as it appears to have a different USB demodulator.

Newer units report as -
Hauppauge model 204209
USB ID 2040:8265
It's detected but set to "bulk" mode and doesn't work.

Whereas the older units report as -
Hauppauge model 204109
USB ID 2040:0265

You've mixed up your connections.
The pigtail cable connects the V2's tuner passthrough output and the USB tuner. However as MrQuade posted, you can directly connect the USB tuner's antenna end to the tuner passthrough socket - no pigtail needed.
The tuner plugs in to the V2's USB port either directly or via a USB extension cable.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 31, 2022 13:32

I take no responsibility for potential damage, but there is a way to switch between modes
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... de_to_bulk

No idea if this is possible on the latest models of tuner hardware or not, but on my older one, I can switch to bulk or back.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 01, 2022 09:52

Thanks for your posts, very informative.
All understood ref your tuner attachment method.

I took my initial idea, to use an rf TV jumper-cable/pigtail [*] from a second hand single tuner I had acquired (see attachment).

I didn't want to use this single, but to use a new double tuner instead - to give it same capability as existing T4.
[*] Also like those short cables provided/used as rf tuner jumper cables for the T4 .

Not sure what you mean MrQuade by " ... use the bundled USB cable ..."?
Do you mean USB Bundled cable set up by yourself? No USB bundled cable provided with my V2?

Hope all my above waffle makes sense :roll: :shock:

Looks like I've ordered a dud tuner - that I may have to resell on eBay ...

KEL
Attachments
Beyonwiz_mini_tuner (2).pdf
(242.47 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:56

KEL wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 09:52
I took my initial idea, to use an rf TV jumper-cable/pigtail [*] from a second hand single tuner I had acquired (see attachment).

That pigtail cable has a different tuner-end connection - a male micro-MCX connector; it won't attach to the Hauppauge tuner (as that uses a "normal" IEC/PAL/Belling-Lee female socket).
KEL wrote:
Looks like I've ordered a dud tuner - that I may have to resell on eBay ...

MrQuade's post links to this -
"Bulk or Iso
A tool to switch USB transfer mode between bulk mode or isochronous mode on certain models of WinTV-soloHD and WinTV-dualHD."

That link contains the "BulkOrIso.exe" program you can run on Windows to switch tuner modes. It works on his "204109" version, hopefully it works on the newer "204209" tuner version too.
https://www.hauppauge.de/site/support/s ... .BulkOrIso

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:11

KEL wrote:
Not sure what you mean MrQuade by " ... use the bundled USB cable ..."?
Do you mean USB Bundled cable set up by yourself? No USB bundled cable provided with my V2?
The Hauppage dual tuner should have come with a short USB cable.
Mine was around 10cm long with a clear plastic sheath, and silver shielding underneath.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:33

Many thanks again.
You guys are legends.

Ahh - that type of bundle (i.e. provided with a hardware purchase) !

Appreciated that it was a different connector-type pigtail on the single tuner and I wasn't planning on trying to use that one.
But, was also making the point that I was looking at using a short rf TV pigtail, (like the pigtail cables, the T4 uses to "loop" the 4 tuners - if suitable for the new dual tuner).

As previous, I hadn't thought of the method of plugging the new dual tuner directly to the V2 loop connector (no rf cable) and then using a USB extension cable instead. :idea:

Yes I had briefly looked at MrQuade's link and baulked at the idea of playing with changes to the tuner's mode - after seeing kernel/code descriptors flash up, and suggesting to me, I needed to play with changes to that first.

The link to an ".exe" file (and using that) to change modes looks more promising, for me at least.

Will give the above ".exe" a go (with the dual tuner) when it turns up in the mail.

I'll shut up for now (plus stop trying to defend my poor sentence construction, and limitations of communicating via emails) - until I try implementing the above suggestions first. :D

KEL

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:16

KEL wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:33
Yes I had briefly looked at MrQuade's link and baulked at the idea of playing with changes to the tuner's mode - after seeing kernel/code descriptors flash up, and suggesting to me, I needed to play with changes to that first.

The link to an ".exe" file (and using that) to change modes looks more promising, for me at least.

Will give the above ".exe" a go (with the dual tuner) when it turns up in the mail.
The link that I provided contained the information and link to the Windows exe to perform the update. IIRC it mentioned that there was no other way to perform the change from Linux and Windows was the way to go.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:50

You are right MrQuade.
My bad and apology.

Re-read and saw the link buried in the text:
" ... Currently there is no known way to change that mode using a linux command or passing options to the kernel module. The only way to change it is to use a free windows tool provided by the manufacturer Hauppauge: https://www.hauppauge.de/site/support/support_faq.php?n=FAQ.BulkOrIso Please install the windows driver for the stick first, because they need to be installed before running the tool. After changing the mode to "bulk" using this tool, please check the dmesg messages again and verify that it now states "dvb set to bulk mode"... "

I should read things more carefully/closely.

KEL

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 01, 2022 16:36

KEL wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:50
You are right MrQuade.
My bad and apology.
Nah, all good, easy to miss on those wiki pages. I know what it is like to suddenly get smacked in the face with a wall of jargon. The eyes cross and you think "I just wanted to watch TV, not start a project!!" :)

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:27

Ref: Continuation of dual tuner installation attempts (and remotes).

Gents, I changed the setting of the dual tuner USB Mode to "Bulk" as advised, using the suggested program (from initial setting of ISOCH).
For info (if it helps), it shows the Tuner as a Model # 204209 C316, and VID=0x2040, PID=0x8265.

The V2 displays:
Tuner A and B as:
ATBM 7821 DVB-T2/C (DVB-T2)
Enabled
Tuner C:
dual HD (DVB-T2)
Enabled

When I go to record, the system indicates there are only the original two tuners (A and B ) recording/available?

If I install the second-hand single tuner, it works and displays (with A,B and C recording).
Tuner C:
DVB-T
Enabled.

Remote issues
Also, is there a way to stop V2 remote and T4 remote from interfering with each other (change setting of either)?
For example, both will alter volume and more importantly, when I select standby, both go to standby.
I have the T4 and V2 connected to the TV via separate HDMI ports.
{PS: I know with the T4 Remote, you can change code settings based on handbook ... not sure if this is any use here as possible solution ?}

Request advice to both issues above please.

KEL

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:40

KEL wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:27
Remote issues
Also, is there a way to stop V2 remote and T4 remote from interfering with each other (change setting of either)?
For example, both will alter volume and more importantly, when I select standby, both go to standby.
I have the T4 and V2 connected to the TV via separate HDMI ports.
{PS: I know with the T4 Remote, you can change code settings based on handbook ... not sure if this is any use here as possible solution ?}
What you should be seeing at the moment, is that the V2 remote is controlling both boxes, but the T4 remote only controls the T4.

Fortunately, the two remotes use different code sets by default, so you can configure the T4 to not respond to the V2 remote.

If you go into the T4 remote control settings, you can configure the T4 to only respond to the 0x02f2 commands instead of the default setting of "All Supported".

There is no way to set the V2 to any code set, other than the one used by its own remote control. (driver and/or hardware limitations).

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:55

KEL wrote:
Gents, I changed the setting of the dual tuner USB Mode to "Bulk" as advised, using the suggested program (from initial setting of ISOCH).
For info (if it helps), it shows the Tuner as a Model # 204209 C316, and VID=0x2040, PID=0x8265.

I believe it should be set to isoc mode - not bulk mode.
KEL wrote:
The V2 displays:
Tuner A and B as:
ATBM 7821 DVB-T2/C (DVB-T2)
Enabled
Tuner C:
dual HD (DVB-T2)
Enabled

When I go to record, the system indicates there are only the original two tuners (A and B ) recording/available?

Yep, it's only recognising the one tuner from the USB's 2 tuners. Perhaps if you set the dual-tuner to isoc mode it'll see both.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 08, 2022 15:31

I have two different remotes for the T4.
One original, plus one that looks almost similar, but replaces original (from/also-used on T3 perhaps?). Refer attached file.

Are they both supposed to be able to have their codes changed?

The flashing light sequence indicating correct setting works for the original on the right, but not the left (attached).
Won't let me get past pressing both STB and OK button, for STB to stay illuminated prior to putting in "002" and hitting OK

Did the above for old original T4 Remote - but V2 Remote still can control the T4 ...
Will keep trying when I have time (i.e. wife lets me ) :)

thanks.

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Tue Feb 08, 2022 15:34

Attachment-remotes.
Attachments
remote_1.pdf
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 08, 2022 15:41

In the image, the remote on the left is a T3 remote, the one on the right is a T4 remote.

The T3 remote has a fixed code set (for the STB controls; the TV mode code set is configurable).

Sample numbers of a switchable code set T3 remote were made, but never went into production.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 08, 2022 15:48

KEL wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 15:31
Did the above for old original T4 Remote - but V2 Remote still can control the T4 ...
Will keep trying when I have time (i.e. wife lets me ) :)

Setting the T4 to use a specific remote rather than All supported is done on the T4, in MENU>Setup>System>Remote control code settings.

After you select a code set for it to use, You'll get an Is this an "Is this remote OK? popup. Select "yes" using the remote you've just selected to use. If things go wrong, the popup will time out after 30 seconds and revert to the code set you had before you tried to change it.

Only the U4 remote and the V2 remote can send codes that the V2 will accept.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

KEL
Apprentice

Post by KEL » Wed Feb 09, 2022 00:40

Thank you all for your input.

Remotes
I'm using the T3 Remote successfully again, on the T4 after resetting the code (as prior to reset).

I set the T3 remote to the specifically assigned T3 code, as suggested (by prl), i.e. "MENU>Setup>System>Remote control code settings".

The T3 Remote only works now for the T4, which is obviously what I wanted; plus V2 Remote only works for the V2.
(still have the "flashy" blue light on the front of T4, when using the V2 Remote to control the V2, but it can't interpret the signal now I guess).

Dual Tuner
I also reset the new dual Tuner to the original USB Mode (ISOCH) and bingo it works !
Works like a charm and didn't need to make changes after all.

!! All is well (for now) and I am a happy little vegemite !! :wink: :)

Question
PS: I understand the V2 (now a V2 +2, after above) is able to handle UltraHD 4K ?
I originally imagined if that was the case, then it would have more bandwidth to allow it to record more programs simultaneously at standard and normal HD?
It doesn't appear to perform any better in that department than my T4.
At first glance it looked like it was only as good or less so.
But I hadn't set the V2 and T4 recording programs identical. Will try side-by-side comparison at a later date.
Guess it is more dependent on number of tuners available...?

Would the V2 (thought I read it in another post) be able to handle more tuners (say 6 in total), using a USB powered expansion hub, because of V2's greater overall bandwidth?

Might not have my story right in the above, but just out of interest, request comments.

(learning plenty using this very helpful website)

regards,
KEL

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Feb 09, 2022 01:42

KEL wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 00:40
The T3 Remote only works now for the T4, which is obviously what I wanted; plus V2 Remote only works for the V2.
(still have the "flashy" blue light on the front of T4, when using the V2 Remote to control the V2, but it can't interpret the signal now I guess).
Yes, the blue LED just flashes when it see's any valid IR command, even if it then goes on to ignore it.
KEL wrote:
I also reset the new dual Tuner to the original USB Mode (ISOCH) and bingo it works !
Works like a charm and didn't need to make changes after all.

!! All is well (for now) and I am a happy little vegemite !! :wink: :)
Are you sure that was the original mode then?

In any case, good stuff :)
KEL wrote:
Question
PS: I understand the V2 (now a V2 +2, after above) is able to handle UltraHD 4K ?
I originally imagined if that was the case, then it would have more bandwidth to allow it to record more programs simultaneously at standard and normal HD?
No, not for that reason. The ability to decode 4k Video is a property of the video decoding and output hardware in the V2, which is not really related to its ability to receive and demux broadcast bitstreams.
KEL wrote:
It doesn't appear to perform any better in that department than my T4.
At first glance it looked like it was only as good or less so.
But I hadn't set the V2 and T4 recording programs identical. Will try side-by-side comparison at a later date.
Guess it is more dependent on number of tuners available...?
The number of available tuners determines how many channels it can tune at a time (up to 4 in your case).
A single channel is comprised of several services, eg. ABC has ABC SD, ABC HD, ABC ME, ABC Kids, ABC News etc.

You can record a show on all of those services simultaneously, and the V2 will only use up 1 tuner to do so.

That leaves 3 tuners available, so you could record from other services on the Seven, Nine, Ten or SBS channels.

In theory, you could record from every service from 4 channels simultaneously if the V2 had enough grunt to do so, but alas, it tops out at about a reliable 8 services (conservatively), though you might be able to get 12 or more, though the reliability of doing so may vary.

The number of services being recorded is limited by the amount of data that the V2 can push to the recording device, (via USB or network), and by a number of other internal data pathways that all get very convoluted.
KEL wrote:
Would the V2 (thought I read it in another post) be able to handle more tuners (say 6 in total), using a USB powered expansion hub, because of V2's greater overall bandwidth?
It will handle up to 5 tuners. That's the two internal, a dual USB and a single USB. It will not accept two dial tuners, and if you try to add a second single tuner to push up to 6 total, the V2 starts doing weird things.

That being said, 5 tuners is generally enough to cover almost every commercial channel in a standard broadcast area. (ABC, SBS, 7, 9 10).

If you are in a location that gets signal from multiple TV towers, or you get one or more community channels, then you may have a larger number of channels available to you.

Might not have my story right in the above, but just out of interest, request comments.

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Wed Feb 09, 2022 06:25

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 01:42
KEL wrote:
It will handle up to 5 tuners. That's the two internal, a dual USB and a single USB. It will not accept two dial tuners, and if you try to add a second single tuner to push up to 6 total, the V2 starts doing weird things.
V2 is definitely capable of working reliably with 5 active tuners; it can become unstable when there is a large number of simultaneous recordings taking place. I would not consider going beyond 10 unless I was monitoring the situation. I managed 13 simultaneous recordings but the odd things were happening with live TV.

You can have 4 tuners attached via USB without reliability issues; I have 2 Sony PlayTV tuners attached to mine, although only 5 are recognised by the V2. The situation may well be different if you have 4 single USB tuners. Odd thing I noticed yesterday when doing a manual EPG scan for SmartEPGvu+ that it recognised that 6 tuners were present.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”