V2 Kaput..needing help please

Moderators: Gully, peteru

xnikx
Master

V2 Kaput..needing help please

Post by xnikx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20

Hi...my V2 let out a crack and died so have ordered a new one. Dead as. I removed the 1tb seagate ext hdd. I tried to see if it was ok by putting it on my computer but the computer wont read it. The blue light comes on and I can feel a vibration as it powers up. I also plugged it into the T2 but same thing..doesnt find it but light comes on.

When I receive the new V2 what are the steps I should take first and when should I connect the hard drive? Will I have to do anything different seeing as its the hard drive from the dead V2? Thank you.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: V2 Kaput..needing help please

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 27, 2021 15:02

xnikx wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20
Hi...my V2 let out a crack and died so have ordered a new one. Dead as. I removed the 1tb seagate ext hdd. I tried to see if it was ok by putting it on my computer but the computer wont read it. The blue light comes on and I can feel a vibration as it powers up. I also plugged it into the T2 but same thing..doesnt find it but light comes on.

When I receive the new V2 what are the steps I should take first and when should I connect the hard drive? Will I have to do anything different seeing as its the hard drive from the dead V2? Thank you.
Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

The PC wouldn't have been able to read the drive filesystem unless you are running Linux, or have installed special Linux filesystem drivers on your computer first. You may have been able to see the drive in the disk management tool if the disk was still alive though.

When you plugged the drive into the T2, did you use the same USB enclosure that was connected to the V2? Or did you connect it to the internal connector?

In short, you need to work out if the disk is dead, or maybe just your USB adaptor is dead.

Try a different USB enclosure if you can.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 16:22

Hi..thats a no to the linux but it does show in disk management 932GB Healthy (Primary partition) though so I hope thats a good thing.

I have no USB enclosure. I plug the hdd into the back of the V2 and into the front USB port of the T2. T2 wasnt in use at the time. Just dragged it out to see me through till the new one arrives.

I remembered there was a note attached? with the V2 last time about the hdd? With the new one should I attach the hdd before powering on or setting up first then adding? Thanks

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 27, 2021 17:06

xnikx wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 16:22
Hi..thats a no to the linux but it does show in disk management 932GB Healthy (Primary partition) though so I hope thats a good thing.
That's a good sign then.
xnikx wrote:
I have no USB enclosure. I plug the hdd into the back of the V2 and into the front USB port of the T2. T2 wasnt in use at the time. Just dragged it out to see me through till the new one arrives.
Yea, by enclosure I just meant whatever adaptor or case that the USB drive uses to connect to the V2.

From this, I assume that the drive has never been separated from the USB adaptor/case.

It is possible that the T2 didn't have enough power on its USB port to fire up the harddisk. Its ports are a bit weaker than the V2's.
xnikx wrote:
I remembered there was a note attached? with the V2 last time about the hdd? With the new one should I attach the hdd before powering on or setting up first then adding? Thanks
If it is working, it shouldn't need to be set up again. The new V2 will just find it and use it. But yes, always best to have it plugged in prior to turning the V2/T2 on.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 17:19

"It is possible that the T2 didn't have enough power on its USB port to fire up the harddisk. Its ports are a bit weaker than the V2's"

Didnt expect it to really work...so maybe....not nerd enough to know lol

"If it is working, it shouldn't need to be set up again. The new V2 will just find it and use it. But yes, always best to have it plugged in prior to turning the V2/T2 on".

Good to know ty ty :)

gibster
Master

Post by gibster » Sat Jul 31, 2021 14:29

xnikx wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20

Sounds like maybe the power supply blew on your V2. Might check and see if the new one will fix the old one. If so then just get another power supply and you'll have a spare.

Gib
BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4K Gen 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”