Buying a New PVR

Moderators: Gully, peteru

ciscus
Master

Buying a New PVR

Post by ciscus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:02

Greetings.

As a delighted Beyonwiz user for many years, my DP-S1 has given up and now needs to be replaced.

So I'm looking at the V2 with a 4TB HDD and a quad tuner. I think that's all the options I need.

My problem is that the reviews on this product have not been great.

Is there anyone willing to help me make up my mind?

Many thanks and stay well,

Ciscus
Ciscus

V2
DPS1-01.05.350 Loader Version 1.0.14.4
DP-Lite F/W DP.Lite 01.07.0002.9E3C Loader Version 1.1.3.1.79

Windows 10
NBN DP-Link iiNet

prl
Wizard God

Re: Buying a New PVR

Post by prl » Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:35

ciscus wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:02
As a delighted Beyonwiz user for many years, my DP-S1 has given up and now needs to be replaced.

So I'm looking at the V2 with a 4TB HDD and a quad tuner. I think that's all the options I need.

Have you had a look at the summary for the V2 in Unofficial Beyonwiz comparison guide.
ciscus wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:02
My problem is that the reviews on this product have not been great.

Is there anyone willing to help me make up my mind?

You might get more useful answers if you outline what your concerns are.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Buying a New PVR

Post by peteru » Tue Sep 08, 2020 22:00

Which reviews? I hope you are not trusting Choice to help you make up your mind! :roll:

The biggest pain point that DP-series users have is the change in user interface. For most, it seems that they adjust in a week or two and end up liking the new way. I had the misfortune of having to operate a DP-series unit several months ago and I'd never want to go back to that UI. When the DP-P1 was my every day PVR, I did not have any problems with it and liked it. Looking back at the DP-series, there are a few things that were more streamlined and worked better, but overall the new Beyonwiz models are miles ahead of the DP-series. The combination of the feature set, usability and reliability of the new open source Beyonwiz models leave everything else behind.

My suggestion would be to take the plunge and upgrade to a V2. Give it a few weeks to get used to the new, more advanced Beyonwiz functionality.

Alternatively, if you really want to replace your DP-S1, I have one for sale. It's been boxed up for the last 6+ years and before that it has only seen very light use. I used it for a few months for development and testing of WizTV, back in the day. I tested the DP-S1 about 6 months ago and everything was fully functional, including the DVD drive.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”