A challenge for the network brains trust

Moderators: Gully, peteru

paulg
Apprentice

A challenge for the network brains trust

Post by paulg » Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:29

Hi all, I'm away with the family in Nelson Bay for the week. I had the great idea to bring the V2 with me, the problem is, I left the remote at home! I thought I'd connect to the V2 via an ethernet cable connected to a wifi range extender. The range extender is then connected to my mobile hotspot. I connect my laptop to the same hotspot. When I type on the address I use at home, no dice. Connecting the ethernet cable directly from the laptop to the V2 has no luck either. Any way know a way I can access the V2?

Equipment that I have:
V2 with ethernet only
Windows 10 laptop
TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender
ethernet cable
iPad

Thanks, Paul :-)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: A challenge for the network brains trust

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:47

I doubt this'll work as likely there's nothing to perform the name resolution, but no harm trying - http://beyonwizv2

Can you access the range extender and see what IP address it's got? Then painstakingly try each IP address in the same IP address range?

Can you try to set up internet sharing on the Win10 laptop and cable from it to the V2?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jul 12, 2020 21:27

Assuming that the V2 is getting a network connection via the hotspot and extender, it should be on the same IP range as your laptop. That is if your hotspot doesn't isolate individual clients.

You just need to run a network discovery tool on the laptop to find what ip was given to the V2.

Something like angry IP scanner might work.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

paulg
Apprentice

Post by paulg » Sun Jul 12, 2020 21:42

Thanks, Grumpy, I logged into the extender, change the range to include the address I used at home and logged in. Can now use the remote via laptop and iPad. Much appreciated, especially in light the of rain predicted for the next week!

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”