Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS Internet Connection Issues.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

TimKloot
Apprentice

Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS Internet Connection Issues.

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 18, 2020 17:27

Hi guys.
I live on my own on a Log Cabin and have no need for a Data Hub or the like (nor do I know anything about that stuff as I have simply used my mobile phone and Topfield for years, getting plenty of entertainment).

However the the Topfield finally ran out of gas last year and I purchased the great Beyonwiz V2. For various reasons, the time has also come to hook the Beyonwiz V2 up to the Internet and I purchased a Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS believing that it is perfect for my needs- yet I cannot find a way to enter the SSID Key into the Beyonwiz as I seem to be getting stuck at the "Configure your device" area/s.
(I am only getting Enable Ethernet network interface and Automatic configuration (DHCP) in the Network Wizard under Network Adaptor Selection (select LAN/WLAN) and turning either on or off doesn't help.

When I go to the "Information" tab, the system seems to recognise the stick/internet connection and I am getting green text indicating so- which is gone when I remove the stick.
*To clarify, I am using the USB 3 Slot...

Please, I have searched high and low but to no avail and the only person I know of with any real knowledge of the product is Jai, yet my last message through eBay was to no avail.

Can anyone (Jai included!) please, please help me?

Sincerely, Tim.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS Internet Connection Issues.

Post by prl » Thu Jun 18, 2020 18:30

To set the SSID Key, you need to change the Encryption setting in the WiFi setup screen to an appropriate value, probably "WPA2" or perhape "WPA or WPA2".

Don't use WEP, and WPA probably isn't a great idea, either, but that choice is made in your modem/WAP.

Once you've set the encryption type to something that needs a password, a password field will appear in the screen.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 18, 2020 20:03

Hi Peter.
Thankyou for the quick response.
Unfortunately I cannot find any option to change the Encryption key. I can see a "Network Adaptor Selection", which has a subtitle 'Select WLAN/LAN' to which one would presume would be first logical step, however there are no other options except for what I mentioned in the first post.

I can only select the Network Wizard in this tab as all other options are for Network Settings, Info and Test- of which are no good if the USB Stick is not "Configured", which is needed to be done by the Network Wizard. Once there there are two options.

"Skip Network Configuration" or "Configure your Network" whereby I am given another two of the same calibre. "Enable network Interface" or "Automatic Configuration"- neither of which are helping as I am sent back to configure, with the message "Your Internet Connection is not working".

Most frustrating as without the USB Stick inserted there is no evidence whatsoever of an Internet Connection but inserted there is...

Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 18, 2020 21:34

TimKloot wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 17:27

(I am only getting Enable Ethernet network interface and Automatic configuration (DHCP) in the Network Wizard under Network Adaptor Selection (select LAN/WLAN) and turning either on or off doesn't help.
It sounds like you are in the wrong section.

You need to plug the USB wifi dongle in, then reboot the V2. Don't unplug it while the V2 is running.

Once that's done, you open up MENU->Setup->Network->Network adaptor selection

You should then select your USB wireless dongle front the list there.

Go into the "Network settings/info " option.

You can then set up all the network parameters you need one you enable the wireless network interface. (Press the LEFT button to toggle the option).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 18, 2020 22:57

You can not plug a Telstra USB modem into the Beyonwiz USB port and expect it to work.

You need a standalone 4G modem/router, preferably one with an Ethernet port and then connect your Beyonwiz Ethernet port to that. Many modern routers have support for USB 4G modems as a fallback. Buying one of those is probably your best bet.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 18, 2020 23:06

peteru wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 22:57
You can not plug a Telstra USB modem into the Beyonwiz USB port and expect it to work.

You need a standalone 4G modem/router, preferably one with an Ethernet port and then connect your Beyonwiz Ethernet port to that. Many modern routers have support for USB 4G modems as a fallback. Buying one of those is probably your best bet.
The unit they have sounded like a standard 4G modem with a built in WiFi access point.
I was assuming they had a separate USB WiFi dongle that they were using to try to connect to the 4G box. Seems maybe not!

Maybe TimKloot can clarify. Were you trying to plug the 4G modern into the V2 directly? If so, then yes that won't work. You need a USB wifi dongle and a separate access point at PeterU describes.

The Telstra 4GX Hotspot was what I thought you had:
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mob ... gx-hotspot

A wirless dongle with a supported chipset such as this one should do the trick on the V2 side.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-USB-Wi ... Sw8-5e335t

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jun 19, 2020 00:32

I would not recommend the WiFi approach. Just connect a 4G enabled router directly to the Beyonwiz Ethernet port. Much less scope for complications when you take that path. Also, cheaper!

Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:25

I'm guessing it's one of these -
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mob ... -wifi-plus
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mob ... wi-fi-plus

Following peteru's suggestion, something like one of these should take the 4G dongle as the WAN/internet input and dole out the ethernet LAN port to connect to the V2's ethernet port -

TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router - https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-network ... tl-mr3420/
Mostly $45-$49 - http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TL-MR3420

TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router - https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-network ... tl-mr3020/
Mostly $38-$39 - http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TL-MR3020

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 15:19

Hi (guys).
Sorry I haven't been back yet.
Yes indeed it is very similar to the one you have- please see attached.

I am currently in town at the moment and would like to go over the suggestions again as I have never purchased anything larger than a $80 Telstra Pocket Wireless for my LG Smart TV a few years back...

Please keep checking in with me as I have no idea what I am doing and really want to get the most appropriate for this great little unit!

Tim.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200619-150933.png

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jun 19, 2020 15:52

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:25
TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router - https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-network ... tl-mr3420/
Mostly $45-$49 - http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TL-MR3420
That looks like the best option. I would not go for the cheaper option.

It seems to be available from OfficeWorks. Drop in and pick one up. If it does not work out (but I think it will), it should not be too hard to return it.

The benefit of getting something like this device is that you have the scope to share your internet connection via a few devices if required.

Blog.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:50

Hi- still in town but wanted to thank you for your message.

I also wanted to clarify that I only need to connect the Beyonwiz V2 to catch up on television series that have been suspended etc or pay only television channels.

Perhaps my mobile phone when at home if I can find the right deal, but I doubt it...

Thanks again guys.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 19, 2020 17:05

TimKloot wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:50
I also wanted to clarify that I only need to connect the Beyonwiz V2 to catch up on television series that have been suspended etc or pay only television channels.
The V2 can't help you with catchup TV. It doesn't have the facility to access any of the HbbTV catchup services at this time.

The network connection can be used to access updates, plugins, and fetch EPG updates from IceTV if you are registered to that service.

You can also access a smattering of services like Youtube, or other free streaming services (generally only for Live TV).

You can run a plugin called Kodi, which is a fairly heavy duty media player package, that actually supports a range of its own plugins. With that , you may be able to access other catchup services, like ABC iView, or SBS, but not the commercial channels.
Both the Kodi plugin and the V2's own built in media player can be used to play media that is stored on any device that is connected to your home network. It sounds like you don't have a pre-established home network, so that is probably something you will not be doing immediately though.

If you want access to chatchup services using a "dumb" TV, then an Android box such as the NVidia Shield, or similar is your best bet in my opinion. Apple TV, Fetch, or one of the Telstra of Roku offerings may be worth considering too, but I don't know much about those.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:35

Well the hits just keep on coming!

To be honest I still can't get my head around the concept "Plugins", even though I have read up on them via the net. I need to physically use at least one or two of the options past the stage of hooking up my old LG Smart TV to the Internet via a pocket WLAN.
As I mentioned earlier I refused to pay for television a long way back- which has come to bite me on the proverbial, unfortunately, as recently one of the shows I used to watch routinely of the nights on free-to-air to relax was suspended. I've also been waiting for other shows to make it to TV- but things have changed drastically and I am forced into this learning arc.

So, I am in Australia and have read up on IceTV, the Roku and nearly all other ways to stream but I can't process all of the information without at least having the Beyonwiz V2 connected to the Internet in the best possible way- and IceTV seems to me to be a Northern Hemisphere device that is not used in many areas and nearly not at all in Australia...
I will have to read up on the Kodi again as I don't understand what you mean entirely by running more plugins and I also have no idea what HbbTV is at all.

The first two paragraphs of your message sounded fairly comprehensive for my situation when I read it back- but then I became stumped again.
My first goal has and is the same. Connect with the Internet and update. Then get into a browser for basic catch up TV like the sister programmes we have like 7Plus whereby you can't record (another goal but sounds like a great deal down the road if at all)- but you can watch with advertisements at any time as long as you have an Internet connection.

I also wanted to use the Beyonwiz V2 for which it's use is intended! Recording television from up to four different Services simultaneously although as I understand your message- I need a ..

Oh it has been a long day and I have too many conflicting ideas in my mind now.
Until tomorrow.............

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:40

Ah- what I was thinking also was how can I use the Beyonwiz for recording television if I have to use a plugin as well as an Internet connection? I am wondering if there are enough available 'slots' on the system because I still think of plugins being exactly what the word suggests!

See what I mean about so many ideas and information in my mind, when needing to physically be able to use some first!

A tired Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:59

TimKloot wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:35
To be honest I still can't get my head around the concept "Plugins", even though I have read up on them via the net. I need to physically use at least one or two of the options past the stage of hooking up my old LG Smart TV to the Internet via a pocket WLAN.
What do you mean by plugins?
The word "plugin" refers to a little software addon that can be installed on a smart device such as the V2. It enhances the functionality of an application that is already installed.

You seem to be referring to something that you physically plug into something else?
TimKloot wrote:
As I mentioned earlier I refused to pay for television a long way back- which has come to bite me on the proverbial, unfortunately, as recently one of the shows I used to watch routinely of the nights on free-to-air to relax was suspended. I've also been waiting for other shows to make it to TV- but things have changed drastically and I am forced into this learning arc.
The LG smart TV may have more options for getting onto catchup TV services than the V2 does.

You will still need an internet connection set up for that, in much the same way we have described earlier. A nice simple WiFi router that supports a 4G USB dongle will get you online. Alternatively, one of those Telstra Hotspots is a simple all-in-one solution that may suit your needs better.
TimKloot wrote:
So, I am in Australia and have read up on IceTV, the Roku and nearly all other ways to stream but I can't process all of the information without at least having the Beyonwiz V2 connected to the Internet in the best possible way- and IceTV seems to me to be a Northern Hemisphere device that is not used in many areas and nearly not at all in Australia...
I will have to read up on the Kodi again as I don't understand what you mean entirely by running more plugins and I also have no idea what HbbTV is at all.
No, IceTV is an Australian service.
It is essentially a smart program guide that can be downloaded automatically over the internet. It also lets you set up automatic recordings of shows that you enjoy. It might not be something you require right now though from the sounds of things.
TimKloot wrote:
The first two paragraphs of your message sounded fairly comprehensive for my situation when I read it back- but then I became stumped again.
My first goal has and is the same. Connect with the Internet and update. Then get into a browser for basic catch up TV like the sister programmes we have like 7Plus whereby you can't record (another goal but sounds like a great deal down the road if at all)- but you can watch with advertisements at any time as long as you have an Internet connection.
The V2 won't be much help to you for catchup TV unfortunately. If your LG TV can access its own app store, or is "Freeview" compatible, you might be able to watch catchup though that though.
TimKloot wrote:
I also wanted to use the Beyonwiz V2 for which it's use is intended! Recording television from up to four different Services simultaneously although as I understand your message- I need a ..
The V2 is *very* good at that however :)
It has two built in tuners, which lets it record from two channels at once. If you buy the optional USB dual tuner, you can record from 4 channels simultaneously.
Note that a channel can have several services on it.

With just two tuners, you could record ABC HD, ABC2, ABC For Kids, ABC News, Nine, GO!, Rush, and Gem all at once. That's eight services on two channels.
TimKloot wrote:
Ah- what I was thinking also was how can I use the Beyonwiz for recording television if I have to use a plugin as well as an Internet connection?
The V2 just needs the antenna connection to record TV, no internet required for that :)

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jun 23, 2020 15:36

Ok look this is getting more and more confusing!

I know exactly what the Beyonwiz V2 can do regarding recording free-to-air. I have had about 18 channels recording.

*Can anyone please help answer one question that no-one including Beyonwiz Messenger can answer-

Do I need a Beyonwiz V2 branded dongle!?

Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 23, 2020 16:34

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 15:36

I know exactly what the Beyonwiz V2 can do regarding recording free-to-air. I have had about 18 channels recording.
You're probably pushing things a bit going for 18 simultaneous recordings. One or more of those recordings might have been in danger of stalling out. Generally 8 to 12 are considered a safe max.
TimKloot wrote:
*Can anyone please help answer one question that no-one including Beyonwiz Messenger can answer-

What is Beyonwiz Messenger? And what do you mean by a Beyonwiz V2 branded dongle?

Beyonwiz sell a number of accessories:
The Hauppage USB Dual tuner (sounds like you have one of these already)
A WiFi dongle (Not Beywonwiz branded, but known to work with the V2's driver set)
An Android HDMI TV stick that doesn't plug into the V2, but was marketed as something to plug in to the T4 or U4 for "smart" functions.

The V2 will accept a few different types of WiFi dongle and a couple of types of USB DVB-T tuners that aren't sold by Beyonwiz, so in that regard, it does have some limited support for specific third party accessories.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 16:57

TimKloot wrote:

You need to use a wireless dongle that -
(i) uses a chipset that the V2 has a driver for
(ii) has a USB device ID known to the V2 such that it can identify the dongle's chipset and load the relevant driver.
Even then, the dongle/V2 needs to connect to an existing wireless home network. I believe you don't have a wireless network -
TimKloot wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 17:27
I live on my own on a Log Cabin and have no need for a Data Hub or the like (nor do I know anything about that stuff as I have simply used my mobile phone and Topfield for years, getting plenty of entertainment).

If you connected a suitable wireless dongle to the V2, it could connect to your mobile phone's wireless hotspot.
But that's an adhoc solution, really.
A more permanent one is connecting your V2 by ethernet cable to a 3G/4G wireless router where the router also has the Telstra 4GX USB Wi-Fi Plus dongle connected to it.
The Telstra 4G dongle provides the internet connection to the router, and the router provides the network connection to your V2.
That's why something like the 'TP-Link TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router' was suggested.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 17:09

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 16:34
TimKloot wrote:

You're probably pushing things a bit going for 18 simultaneous recordings. One or more of those recordings might have been in danger of stalling out. Generally 8 to 12 are considered a safe max.

The retail boxes for the U4 and V2 don't have a claim for the maximum number of simultaneous recordings. The T2 box says 8 simultaneous recordings.

The V2 processor is faster than the T2 and is quad core rather than dual core, so I'm not surprised that it's possible to run 18 recordings at once, though I'd have thought that it would be rare to have that many interesting programs at once across 4 broadcasters, even allowing for recordings overlapping just because of padding.

Recordings are around 2-5Mb/sec, so 18 recordings @5Mb/s (90Mb/s) might be pushing it for recording onto a NAS on a 100Mb/s Ethernet, once network overheads are taken into account, but that's only about 11 MB/s and wouldn't really be pushing a local HDD very hard.

I don't seem to have any time when there are more than 5 simultaneous recordings on our in-use T4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 17:35

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 16:34
You're probably pushing things a bit going for 18 simultaneous recordings.

I interpreted it to be TimKloot saying he has recorded from about 18 different services, in other words he knows what content there is.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 23, 2020 18:03

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 17:35
I interpreted it to be TimKloot saying he has recorded from about 18 different services, in other words he knows what content there is.
Probably :)

However, it sounds like the FTA recording aspect is a known quantity for TimKloot in any case :).

The only thing I want to re-stress, is that adding WiFi will not allow TimKloot to access any catchup TV from the Internet on the V2.

Look, technically, there are handful of partially supported/abandoned plugins for Kodi, but I don't know that they are worth worrying with.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Jun 24, 2020 20:01

Alrighty I am back and determined to move forward now that I have got quite a few things out of the way. Getting Gmail to give me notifications without checking back has always been elusive on this phone though.

I have had a quick catch up and yes "pri"- I did have 18 channels recording but just so everyone knows of course I was simply testing the system!
It also does 'stall' when too many are recording plus when other functions are used or buttons pressed a lot- presumably just like any other operating system...

It is good to hear that I don't necessarily need a Beyonwiz V2 branded Dongle, although I am still not clear on the specifics I need to look for- perhaps an oversight, I shall get a pad & pen.

Someone mentioned in the one of the last replies that my USB WIFI could be used somehow- I thought this was only as a backup for the Router. By the way I have heard of this backup plan before but presume only for different networks? e.g. Optus then my Telstra WIFI USB.

Not sure if this was made clear but my device can connect with up to 5 other devices.
Whilst still on this track (although hopeless sounding), I had entertained the thought of simply purchasing a USB to Ethernet Cable Adapter for $35-$40, therefore technically having an Ethernet connection- what are the thoughts on this?

Now, I endeavour to go search the Router mentioned and try to get my head around "plugins" as, as I stated earlier, I have no idea what they really are and how to apply them to my device for what I need especially if I am getting advice saying that I need a Router first to connect with the Internet.

*I can't find anything else immediately to do (bar re-read and summarise everything here) and still can't thank you all for indulging in helping me achieve my endeavours !

Thankfully,
Tim Kloot.

P.S. Am I correct in assuming that once I have a valid Internet connection, the Beyonwiz V2 is not able to open a browser of any sort- therefore this is why I am reading here that I cannot use it for catch-up tv?
I see a YouTube tab under "Plugins" so presume this is the only immediate Internet ability I will have once an internet connection is made...
I also see "Download Plugins" which is why I am so confused on the topic as well as how to get to where I (simply) need to go !
Whew! Can anyone just come over for one half of an hour?!!!
😂

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 24, 2020 20:27

TimKloot wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 20:01
P.S. Am I correct in assuming that once I have a valid Internet connection, the Beyonwiz V2 is not able to open a browser of any sort- therefore this is why I am reading here that I cannot use it for catch-up tv?
Correct more or less.
TimKloot wrote:
I see a YouTube tab under "Plugins" so presume this is the only immediate Internet ability I will have once an internet connection is made...
Yes. Though Google like to break things and since this YouTube plugin is not an official Google app, it is not guaranteed to work once Google changes things.
TimKloot wrote:
I also see "Download Plugins" which is why I am so confused on the topic as well as how to get to where I (simply) need to go !
If you have an internet connection to the V2, then it can download different plugins that can add various features to the V2. What is confusing you in terms of the plugins?

I think part of the confusion in the thread is that we aren't exactly sure what you are confused about our want to achieve with the V2.

May I suggest you start with basic questions that we can answer one at a time.

TimKloot wrote:
Whilst still on this track (although hopeless sounding), I had entertained the thought of simply purchasing a USB to Ethernet Cable Adapter for $35-$40, therefore technically having an Ethernet connection- what are the thoughts on this?
That type of device is designed to plug into a PC or other pc-like device. You can plug it into a network device or router and expect that to work.

The ideal device that you need is one that will connect to 4g and then can act as a wired Ethernet router. That way, you can plug the V2 into a wired connection. You can buy various routers that will accept a usbb 4g dongle, or have some sort of 4g backup facility.

The next best thing world be to buy a compatible wireless USB adaptor for the V2, then use a wireless 4g hotspot device to connect to the internet. The V2 can then log onto the hotspots wifi network and then you are online.

What you are looking at here is now of a home network problem rather than a V2 problem.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Jun 24, 2020 21:50

Speaking of one question at a time- you sound too knowledgeable to stick with your own advice!
So I want the ideal solution- I wish you had of posted a link to an example.

I thought I did cover my needs originally?
Anyway, to hook up to the Internet with the intention of;
1) Upgrading the V2 Firmware.

2) Explore the use of the Beyonwiz V2 now having an internet connection, including Plugins and what they are, what is actually used by the general population/or Australia. (I did read that IceTV was not used so much in Australia, I am sure- if not it is one of the Plugins advertised on the V2 box).

3) Opening a browser to download free-to-air catch up tv services like 7Plus etc. -
(Although due to replies, now aware that this is almost definitely not possible?
Any ideal ways (like plugins) to get a browser would be great unless I am stick with the Beyonwiz being an adapter for a plug-in.

3) Start streaming "Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series". This is currently available on Disney+, Google Play Movies &TV and YouTube. See I had hoped that at worst I could pay $2.99 per episode after downloading Google Play Movies to a browser on the Beyonwiz V2.
My taxi driver mate uses Chromecast.* I wonder if this is an option but doubt it.
(No TV internet connection availability btw)

*So these were my main priorities. I live in a Log Cabin and will only ever need to connect my mobile phone if it is cost effective. No video surveillance or other internet luxuries needed at the moment. No gaming- I use the phone.
I need all finance for medical needs...

I am about to search the first link to a Router for now and anything else I can easily get my head around (from replies) again to see where this gets me. I apologise if this post is not fluent as I have re-edited many a time due to replies confusing me and plain ignorance I am afraid!-

Please do not give up on me and my endeavours!!!
I love the Beyonwiz V2 and want to finally utilise everything I can but don't know how to connect with the Internet. I also want priority 2 and 3 badly!

*I promise to check replies between 4pm and 10pm everyday onwards....

Desperately,
Tim Kloot.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 24, 2020 23:09

TimKloot wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 21:50
Speaking of one question at a time- you sound too knowledgeable to stick with your own advice!
So I want the ideal solution- I wish you had of posted a link to an example.
Sorry about that. It's sometimes easy to get carried away when the questions are coming at you. I am in front of a computer now so its a bit easier to give a more complete answer :).

I had a look around, and this router looked like a bit of a winner:
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... tptlmr3420

It's pretty cheap, available at Officeworks which should mean it will be nearby, and looks to have the basic features you will need.

This router needs a SIM card. It will connect to the Internet, and then share its internet connection over Ethernet cables (it has a built in Ethernet switch), and WiFi (if you have any handheld devices or laptop etc).

The best option would be to connect the V2 directly to this router with an Ethernet patch lead.
You would need to make sure the router is placed in a location that gets decent 4G reception, but is also close enough to the V2 that you don't have an ugly cable strung up all over the house :).

If a cable is completely impractical, then you can fit the V2 with a Wireless USB dongle.
This one will likely work with the V2:
https://www.amazon.com.au/TP-Link-Wirel ... 133&sr=8-6

Or from Officeworks, this one (not fast, but should be fine for what you need)
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... tptlwn725n

Remember though, those USB WiFi dongles are a backup option only if you can't hard-wire the V2.

The Router will take a little bit of configuration to get running, so that will be another step if you decide to go that way. I don;'t have any personal experience with that particular model.
TimKloot wrote:
2) Explore the use of the Beyonwiz V2 now having an internet connection, including Plugins and what they are, what is actually used by the general population/or Australia. (I did read that IceTV was not used so much in Australia, I am sure- if not it is one of the Plugins advertised on the V2 box).
It was developed here in Australia for the Aussie market. It used to be more popular when there were more enthusiast PVRs on the market, but is probably less used now as FTA TV is drifting out of fashion, and people move to other sorts of smart devices.

The other plugins are possibly not as exciting as you might imagine though. There are some that automatically update the EPG, and others that provide you with different colour schemes, some that can put a clock on the screen, or ones that provide a different interface for playing your downloaded videos.
TimKloot wrote:
3) Opening a browser to download free-to-air catch up tv services like 7Plus etc. -
(Although due to replies, now aware that this is almost definitely not possible?
Any ideal ways (like plugins) to get a browser would be great unless I am stick with the Beyonwiz being an adapter for a plug-in.
It's possible that this current browser situation will change, but it will require some fairly major updates to the firmware before that happens. But for now, there is no Internet browser, or catchup services.
TimKloot wrote:
3) Start streaming "Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series". This is currently available on Disney+, Google Play Movies &TV and YouTube. See I had hoped that at worst I could pay $2.99 per episode after downloading Google Play Movies to a browser on the Beyonwiz V2.
My taxi driver mate uses Chromecast.* I wonder if this is an option but doubt it.
(No TV internet connection availability btw)
You definitely won't see any streaming services on the V2 any time soon. All of those services are heavily encrypted and protected, and they don't like open-source devices to access their streams.
A Chromecast is a decent option to add smart capabilities to a "dumb" TV (I have a couple myself).

Google will be releasing a new model of Chromecast soon that has its own little remote control. This means you don't need to use your mobile phone to "cast" shows to the TV. It can be more convenient that way. I use a more powerful version of that sort of device from NVidia, called the "Shield". The Shield is a pretty "heavy-duty" device with a price to match, so is probably overkill in your case.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Jun 24, 2020 23:21

Save yourself some money and headaches. Given your usage patterns, you don't need to connect your Beyonwiz to the internet at all.

1. Upgrading firmware
Use a USB drive if/when you need to do this. It will be faster and more reliable. Chances are you won't need to do this more than once a year.

2. Plugins
All the useful plugins (plugins are a bit like apps on a phone) are already pre-installed. Very few of the plugins available using internet based feed install process are worth installing. You are not missing out on anything important. IceTV is not something you need to get good use out of your Beyonwiz. IceTV provides an alternative EPG (TV guide). Using IceTV means you will no longer have access to the EPG that is sent by the TV stations themselves. Some people like the EPG offered by IceTV, I find it inferior. IceTV also offers the option of scheduling recordings on your Beyonwiz via their website. This absolutely requires a stable 24/7 internet connection. IMNSHO this capability is not worth the asking price (at least not for me), since you can achieve a similar (and sometimes superior) result using a bit of planning and some autotimers.

3. Catch up TV
That won't work. You pretty much need an Android based TV with "FreeView" or possibly the new Chromecast TV dongle that Google are expected to release soon.

4. Streaming from subscription services
That won't work either. Same as above.

The reason that 3. and 4. will not work is because of DRM (copy protection) that is applied to such content. Because the Beyonwiz is an open source platform that does not have restrictive technologies to prevent you from having full control of your device, the content owners will not allow playback.

If you analyse your requirements, there is no compelling reason for you to connect your Beyonwiz to the internet.

Blog.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 16:00

Well Peteru and MrQuade-

Thankyou for your concise messages.

I really appreciate the work and especially time put into them.

*For upgrading the Firmware Peteru, I don't have a computer system so do you know if I can go down to the local library and use one of the free access computers to download on to the USB drive or will I have any problems?

*MrQuade, (I love an old movie reference)- I have heard and read about the new ChromeCast although in the meantime and waiting for price to become competitive etc- I presume my TV considered "dumb" and therefore will suit my need to stream television?
If so I can go ahead and research what I can access/view, the price of the device and viewing etc.

That's all I can think of to write at present, really appreciate your valuable information and sticking with me.
Tim.

P.S. Yes, I completely understand what it's like to have so much information knocking around in your head!- my dearly departed grandfather was an absolute wizard with anything mechanical or computer and the amount of time spent with him was highly treasured plus sorely missed.
RIP Bob, August 2008.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 17:20

TimKloot wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 16:00
*For upgrading the Firmware Peteru, I don't have a computer system so do you know if I can go down to the local library and use one of the free access computers to download on to the USB drive or will I have any problems?

There should be no problems with that provided:
  • The Library allows you to connect USB devices to the library's computers.
  • The Web browser on those computers allows you to download files to a connected USB device.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 17:26

Tim,

Chromecast is definitely an option for streaming apps you can install on the phone, laptop or tablet. If a mobile it will use your mobile data.

Your Telstra device is commonly used with laptops and tablets. If you buy one (laptop or tablet) then you can use it to stream via Chromecast and download USB updates. This is possibly more suitable for your needs than a modem but more expensive.

To then get online updates you will need a wireless adapter for the V2. You would have to use a phone or a laptop/tablet as a wireless hotspot to connect the V2.

No idea on the library download rules but perhaps ring them and ask.
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 18:40

Paul,

Thanks for the "ring the library idea" as I think they may be still open...

Off to try once I read and reply to the other message.

Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 18:46

And Peter, the first message since mine last night-

Thankyou for your help also- I shall have these two questions ready to fire when I call.

Slowly but surely making progression from old to new I hope...

Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 19:11

Ok, library closes at 4pm nowadays.

But the website reads that optical & micro USB Are allowed. You just can't upload anything, obviously I would think.

So that sounds like the Firmware covered- especially since Peter I think it was said one only needs to update once per year....

Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 21:19

I had a look around, and this router looked like a bit of a winner:

This router needs a SIM card. It will connect to the Internet, and then share its internet connection over Ethernet cables (it has a built in Ethernet switch), and WiFi (if you have any handheld devices or laptop etc).

The best option would be to connect the V2 directly to this router with an Ethernet patch lead.
You would need to make sure the router is placed in a location that gets decent 4G reception, but is also close enough to the V2 that you don't have an ugly cable strung up all over the house :).

-OK so I read up on it and did some thinking.
Firstly the Q&A says that it doesn't have a SIM Card requirement.
(Regardless I don't mind the Ethernet Cables for the moment as there is room in that corner as design of cabin television area is a mess.)
Also I read people talking about reception and don't think it's ever been an issue with my phone so why with the Internet...
Lastly if I purchased this it says that I still have to get a modem- unless you are suggesting that I use the Telstra 4G USB WIFI PLUS?
(This has a SIM Card slot and connects up to 5 devices)
If so I am confused on what I was supposed to use as a "backup" should the Router go down, as mentioned in other replies.

So in theory buying a 4G Router will always need a modem- as I am living in the Log Cabin, anything else similar or not using a Landline.....

Remember though, those USB WiFi dongles are a backup option only if you can't hard-wire the V2.

The Router will take a little bit of configuration to get running, so that will be another step if you decide to go that way. I don;'t have any personal experience with that particular model.

The other plugins are possibly not as exciting as you might imagine though. There are some that automatically update the EPG, and others that provide you with different colour schemes, some that can put a clock on the screen, or ones that provide a different interface for playing your downloaded videos.

".....for playing your download videos"- I thought that it was said to be impossible to be watching downloaded videos through the Beyonwiz V2?

Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 22:06

TimKloot wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 21:19
Ahh yes, I am glad you are paying attention.
Yes, that router does need a USB modem to act as a 4G router. My cursory glance assumed it had some capability built in.

TimKloot wrote:
(Regardless I don't mind the Ethernet Cables for the moment as there is room in that corner as design of cabin television area is a mess.)
Also I read people talking about reception and don't think it's ever been an issue with my phone so why with the Internet...
Just making sure. Your reception may not be so good if the modem is tucking in behind a cabinet and TV.
TimKloot wrote:
Lastly if I purchased this it says that I still have to get a modem- unless you are suggesting that I use the Telstra 4G USB WIFI PLUS?
If so I am confused on what I was supposed to use as a "backup" should the Router go down, as mentioned in other replies.

So in theory buying a 4G Router will always need a modem- as I am living in the Log Cabin, anything else similar or not using a Landline.....
But the good news is that according to the TPLink compatibility guide, your Telstra USB dongle is actually compatible with that router.
https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/3g-c ... 0&hdVer=V5
See there it lists the Huawei E8372h, which is what is inside your USB stick according to your screenshot.

Note that if you bought a chromecast or similar device, it would need this router and USB stick combo in order for it to work too.
So I think that investing in this router would be a good idea so that you can have general internet on at your cabin :)

How much data quota do you have on that 4G account though? Streaming service can use up a lot.

TimKloot wrote:
".....for playing your download videos"- I thought that it was said to be impossible to be watching downloaded videos through the Beyonwiz V2?
No, you can download videos with some other program like a web browser or bittorrent, then copy those files to the V2's harddisk and play them like that. What you can't do is stream movies from any of the paid streaming services like Netflix/Stan/Fox etc.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 23:02

The other thing that now occurs to me is that this router is going to be a bit hard to configure if you don't have a laptop or PC.

Normally, you need to plug a computer into one of the Ethernet ports and configure the router using a web browser. Some routers may let you configure them over the WiFi interface....maybe this is one of those. You'd be able to use your phone's browser, but that would be a painful exercise in of itself.

I'd recommend that if you do go this route, you should take the router over to a friend's house to set it up with a PC.

EDIT:
Mind you, the quickstart guilde looks pretty easy
https://static.tp-link.com/7106507213_T ... V5_QIG.pdf

It might just plug and play without too much hassle.
And you are unlikely to be worried about insecure networks and neighbours since you sound like neighbours might be a bit far away :).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jun 26, 2020 21:01

When I had a quick squiz at the TL-MR3420 doco, it looked like it came with an easy setup app that can be used with a phone to get you up and running. That's why concurred with Grumpy_Geoff that it seemed like a good choice.

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if going down the 4G path is a sensible approach if the intended use is video streaming or channel BT. It may be a better idea to investigate what solutions NBN may offer.

Blog.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 00:56

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 22:06
TimKloot wrote:
Ahh yes, I am glad you are paying attention.
Yes, that router does need a USB modem to act as a 4G router. My cursory glance assumed it had some capability built in.

TimKloot wrote:
Just making sure. Your reception may not be so good if the modem is tucking in behind a cabinet and TV.
TimKloot wrote:

But the good news is that according to the TPLink compatibility guide, your Telstra USB dongle is actually compatible with that router.
https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/3g-c ... 0&hdVer=V5
See there it lists the Huawei E8372h, which is what is inside your USB stick according to your screenshot.

Note that if you bought a chromecast or similar device, it would need this router and USB stick combo in order for it to work too.
So I think that investing in this router would be a good idea so that you can have general internet on at your cabin :)

How much data quota do you have on that 4G account though? Streaming service can use up a lot.

TimKloot wrote:
No, you can download videos with some other program like a web browser or bittorrent, then copy those files to the V2's harddisk and play them like that. What you can't do is stream movies from any of the paid streaming services like Netflix/Stan/Fox etc.

Hi MrQuade,

Sorry, I promised to login every night between specific times but the Log Cabin living situation strikes again but in another unmitigated circumstance!

Regardless I am here now and had a very pleasant read of your message. Thankyou once again for taking the time to do this- there is absolutely no other way to get the answers and your patience and understanding is do greatly appreciated.

I've no idea what a bittorrent is although my auto-correct is suggesting BitTorrent; another research effort in stow.

(The Router being put behind my TV were also very helpful words, as knowing myself I would try to do such a thing. Luckily there's still room next to it but I shall be wary).

I am also glad to hear about ChromeCast being an option- I'll tell my taxi driver mate it was his idea!

Although regarding the Data Usage, this is a concern as we have discussedthe only method with which I have available. As I said I am reluctant to pay for television although I wish to stream two series. One at 42 minutes and the other at 30 minutes. I vaguely remember the prices to prepay from Google and the amount of GB per one hour (42-45mins) show.
I simply pay $30 Telstra recharge on my phone and I get 10gb where the excess can go into a databank and I have approx 120gb at any given time (with unlimited etc. $5 spending on something obscure.)

So, I don't know what to do there until I do a quick search again.
I don't remember much better value for one in my position.....

Well goodbye for now,
Many, many thanks,
Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:11

TimKloot wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 00:56
Although regarding the Data Usage, this is a concern as we have discussedthe only method with which I have available. As I said I am reluctant to pay for television although I wish to stream two series. One at 42 minutes and the other at 30 minutes. I vaguely remember the prices to prepay from Google and the amount of GB per one hour (42-45mins) show.
I simply pay $30 Telstra recharge on my phone and I get 10gb where the excess can go into a databank and I have approx 120gb at any given time (with unlimited etc. $5 spending on something obscure.)
Just as a point of reference. You could calculate based off a SD Netflix series using up about 1.5GB/hr. (very roughly).
You could probably just squeeze in a month of those shows, assuming they are released weekly, based on that above figure.

(For reference, my own usage is around 1.5TB/month, or about 50GB/day, but my family streams HD and UHD for a good chunk of the day ;))

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:21

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:11
TimKloot wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 00:56
Just as a point of reference. You could calculate based off a SD Netflix series using up about 1.5GB/hr. (very roughly).
You could probably just squeeze in a month of those shows, assuming they are released weekly, based on that above figure.

(For reference, my own usage is around 1.5TB/month, or about 50GB/day, but my family streams HD and UHD for a good chunk of the day ;))

Haha, I can only imagine!
These days though I can picture it to be quite normal, considering having a family trying to live a full life..

So yes thanks, that is nice to hear a trusted reference.

I could squeeze in what you have said although unfortunately the data bank is indeed from savings/left over data from the 10gb purchased each month...
(I don't know how long it took to accumulate)

So, I have a reference point....
Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:26

[/quote]

*You mentioned Netflix. Can Netflix be accessed through ChromeCast? Is it or what you can access a pay before you view deal, or....

T.K.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:59

TimKloot wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:26
*You mentioned Netflix. Can Netflix be accessed through ChromeCast? Is it or what you can access a pay before you view deal, or....
Yes, Netflix can be accessed with a Chromecast, and is controlled from your Phone.
I think that you get a couple of weeks free when you sign up with no obligation to continue.

You would also have access to
Amazon Prime
Stan
Binge
Disney+
Not sure if you can cast Kayo and the other Fox services or not.
And probably a dozen more that don't spring to mind. :)

Most of these have a free period as well.

Here is a website that lists what shows are showing on which of those services (they all have exclusives).
https://www.justwatch.com/au

Amazon is the cheapest of the bunch and has some interesting original content.
Binge has all the Foxtel content and is very good value as well.
Netflix is the incumbent to beat, and has a ton of varied content and original stuff too (but it also has a bunch of pretty average stuff too ;))
Stan has a few interesting shows, but not much of it is original. This is one that I had for a while and dropped.

All of these are paid streaming services (the types of things the V2 can't stream).

You can also access other ad-supported services like Youtube and Spotify. Also, FTA catchup services, iView, SBS OnDemand, Seven Plus, Nine Now and Ten Play.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 01:14

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:59
TimKloot wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 01:26
Yes, Netflix can be accessed with a Chromecast, and is controlled from your Phone.
I think that you get a couple of weeks free when you sign up with no obligation to continue.

You would also have access to
Amazon Prime
Stan
Binge
Disney+
Not sure if you can cast Kayo and the other Fox services or not.
And probably a dozen more that don't spring to mind. :)

Most of these have a free period as well.

Here is a website that lists what shows are showing on which of those services (they all have exclusives).
https://www.justwatch.com/au

Amazon is the cheapest of the bunch and has some interesting original content.
Binge has all the Foxtel content and is very good value as well.
Netflix is the incumbent to beat, and has a ton of varied content and original stuff too (but it also has a bunch of pretty average stuff too ;))
Stan has a few interesting shows, but not much of it is original. This is one that I had for a while and dropped.

All of these are paid streaming services (the types of things the V2 can't stream).

You can also access other ad-supported services like Youtube and Spotify. Also, FTA catchup services, iView, SBS OnDemand, Seven Plus, Nine Now and Ten Play.

*Mr Quade you are definitely a hero and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

At the end of another long day it was so nice to read/hear your thoughts on the matter and I honestly cannot thank you enough for all of your time.

So thankyou. I have taken screenshots of most of the advice you have given me in case I can't get back to this page, as well some of the other people's replies.

It is surely the most annoying little problem, not being to have at least been able to use the Chromecast with a mobile phone. Or the 4G WIFI PLUS.

It seems I simply will 'just have to find a way' to get the software installed onto a router, if I am to ever use it!

I will get around to putting all key points down with a pad and pen but I can't help but ask;

If Ice-Tv is not ready a streaming device then what on Earth do we want to connect the V2 to the Internet for again- as I have completely lost track and forgotten!

(I mean why not save the money for a Dongle when mini USB sticks are nearly disposable and I can get better, up-to-date EPG on my phone whilst perhaps even organising some Chromecast for the evening?)

Tim.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 28, 2020 01:23

TimKloot wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 01:14
It seems I simply will 'just have to find a way' to get the software installed onto a router, if I am to ever use it!
There is no need to install any software onto a router.
That router that I linked to should just work if you plug the 4G dongle into it. Job done.

You can then link your phone to the router's WiFi, and then if you had a chromecast, you could also attach that to the router's WiFi. Then, you can stream to your hearts content.
TimKloot wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 01:14
If Ice-Tv is not ready a streaming device then what on Earth do we want to connect the V2 to the Internet for again- as I have completely lost track and forgotten!

(I mean why not save the money for a Dongle when mini USB sticks are nearly disposable and I can get better, up-to-date EPG on my phone whilst perhaps even organising some Chromecast for the evening?)
IceTV isn't a streaming service. IceTV is a service that sends you an EPG (Electronic Program Guide). It is slightly different to the guide data that you get from the TV stations, and it can give you a bit more information. The IceTV guide for instance can tell you when a show is a repeat.

The other thing that most users use IceTV for is to set automatic timers. You can log onto the IceTV website and configure it to "record any non-repeat episodes of Dr Who if they appear on ABC HD", and then that's it. Any time new episodes of Dr Who (or whatever you are into) comes on, the Wiz will record it for you.

To do all that, you need an internet connection.

The Wiz will also synchronise its time with Internet time providers, and you can access other miscellaneous information services like the weather, look up IMDB for movie information or have the Wiz download subtitles for foreign films for you....little things like that.

For highly-connected folks like myself, I can access my Wiz when I am away from home, and schedule my own recordings, or even watch TV on my phone from the Wiz.

I frequently connect into my Wiz from my mobile phone when I am away from home, so I can check settings to answer questions on this forum. (My posts are notoriously and often hilariously full of autocorrect typos when I am answering from my phone)

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:19

Oh Mr Quade, before I forget!-
The specs that I need when looking for a dongle, router or even modem, in the language you have used with me- should I need to change products due to the aforementioned?

This should conclude your epic, epic hero's journey to help out an extremely nice fella !!

TK.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:38

TimKloot wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:19
The specs that I need when looking for a dongle, router or even modem, in the language you have used with me- should I need to change products due to the aforementioned?
No change needed, I think you should be ok.

The dongle that you have already bought....:
viewtopic.php?f=67&p=187937#p187687

Should be compatible with the router that I mentioned earlier:
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-network ... tl-mr3420/
which you can buy from here:

The quickstart guide for that modem says that all you need to do is plug in your dongle (with a SIM card inserted), and it will all work.

There is a quickstart guide here:
https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201903/ ... 16_QIG.pdf

It looks like you will need to plug the router into a PC if you want to be able to use the WiFi part of it. You would need WiFi if you want to connect a Chromecast device to it later down the track. You need to know what the WiFi password of the router is, and by the looks of it, the only way to know that is to log into its configuration web interface. *sometimes* these types of devices print the default WiFi password on the bottom of the router.....that might or might not be present on this router.

Failing any password being written down, if you don't have access to a PC or laptop with an Ethernet port, then you would need to take your modem to someone who does, and then set up the WiFi with their computer.

But just to reiterate, the WiFi doesn't need to be working for the V2 to be able to access the Internet. The V2 will simply plug into one of the router's Ethernet ports, and can get the internet that way.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jun 29, 2020 01:29

No need for a PC. The quick installation guide you linked to clearly says:

Connect your device to the router (wired or wireless). The default SSID and password are printed on the bottom of the router.

Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13

peteru wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 01:29
No need for a PC. The quick installation guide you linked to clearly says:

Connect your device to the router (wired or wireless). The default SSID and password are printed on the bottom of the router.
It does indeed. Though I swear when I was reading that last night, it explicitly said that the wireless password was only accessible by logging into the web interface first. I wonder if I was getting a different version of the quickstart instructions. Especially as I see that y link above doesn't actually take me to the document now that I am on a different Internet connection.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 16:09

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13
Though I swear when I was reading that last night, it explicitly said that the wireless password was only accessible by logging into the web interface first.

I looked at the install guide Friday week ago when I first posted about the TL-MR3420, I remember it stating the SSID label is on the bottom of the unit.
What I think you saw was -
the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) wrote: "Q3. What should I do if I forget my wireless network password?
Log in to the router’s web management page and then go to Basic > Wireless to retrieve or reset your wireless password."
MrQuade wrote: I wonder if I was getting a different version of the quickstart instructions. Especially as I see that y link above doesn't actually take me to the document now that I am on a different Internet connection.

I've come across this previously with TP-Link docs, if you copy the link as posted and paste the link it'll open (it doesn't like being s hyperlink for some reason).
English language only QIG - https://static.tp-link.com/7106507213_T ... V5_QIG.pdf

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 02:03

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:38
TimKloot wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:19
No change needed, I think you should be ok.

The dongle that you have already bought....:
viewtopic.php?f=67&p=187937#p187687

Should be compatible with the router that I mentioned earlier:
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-network ... tl-mr3420/
which you can buy from here:

The quickstart guide for that modem says that all you need to do is plug in your dongle (with a SIM card inserted), and it will all work.

There is a quickstart guide here:
https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201903/ ... 16_QIG.pdf

It looks like you will need to plug the router into a PC if you want to be able to use the WiFi part of it. You would need WiFi if you want to connect a Chromecast device to it later down the track. You need to know what the WiFi password of the router is, and by the looks of it, the only way to know that is to log into its configuration web interface. *sometimes* these types of devices print the default WiFi password on the bottom of the router.....that might or might not be present on this router.

Failing any password being written down, if you don't have access to a PC or laptop with an Ethernet port, then you would need to take your modem to someone who does, and then set up the WiFi with their computer.

But just to reiterate, the WiFi doesn't need to be working for the V2 to be able to access the Internet. The V2 will simply plug into one of the router's Ethernet ports, and can get the internet that way.

*Ok, managed to finally read your generous reply.

-So, I remember our discussion regarding reception and area behind the television and understand that the V2 can plug straight into the router via Ethernet cable, thankyou...

The rest of your message I understand also and appreciate your grouping it all together again for me as I have been under a lot of stress then tend to over-concentrate on certain parts of previous messages in this thread- leading to more stress about the lack of time I have left to get things done for the day and completely zone out to a movie!

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but the only reason I asked about what I need to look for in devices not posted is because I wondered if there was a cheaper way than by using my phone data, but mostly because I don't know if the availability of stock or even price may become an issue.
For instance, I may be able to even find the same router but cheaper elsewhere like eBay- considering Officeworks can be more expensive in some areas.

Although at that price without delivery I would rather something you recommended!!

So I have to get software installed on it then retrieve a password from its configuration web interface. Why they don't simply install the software is easily beyond me.
I wonder if I can get the local mobile phone repairs shop to do this for me without him seeing the password? Hmm. There must be a solution to this problem that hasn't presented itself yet.
To clarify, I can't use a public library computer for this can I?

Well it's looking like I am nearly all caught up on the pertinent information needed Me Quade- I can't thank you enough for the time, effort and patience employed here.

On that note I must go as it is terribly late,
Hope to speak again soon,
Tim Kloot.

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”