Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS Internet Connection Issues.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Telstra 4G USB+WIFI PLUS Internet Connection Issues.

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:49

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 02:03
For instance, I may be able to even find the same router but cheaper elsewhere like eBay- considering Officeworks can be more expensive in some areas.

Although at that price without delivery I would rather something you recommended!!

I posted about that 4G wireless router on Friday 19-Jun. In that post I included a link to staticICE which showed some stores were selling the router at $45.

Following my post, peteru suggested that router was a good choice, and noted that it was stocked by Officeworks, with an easy return if needed.

Are you aware that Officeworks, has a 'Price Beat Guarantee'? You can show them a listing of the router from a bricks & mortar store selling it a lower price, for example MSY, and get it at Officeworks for that MSY price less %5.

Link to my post
Link to peteru's post
Link to Officeworks 'Price Beat Guarantee'
TimKloot wrote: So I have to get software installed on it then retrieve a password from its configuration web interface.

No, not required. Go and re-read the Quick Installation Guide again.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:16

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:49
TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 02:03
For instance, I may be able to even find the same router but cheaper elsewhere like eBay- considering Officeworks can be more expensive in some areas.

Although at that price without delivery I would rather something you recommended!!

I posted about that 4G wireless router on Friday 19-Jun. In that post I included a link to staticICE which showed some stores were selling the router at $45.

Following my post, peteru suggested that router was a good choice, and noted that it was stocked by Officeworks, with an easy return if needed.

Are you aware that Officeworks, has a 'Price Beat Guarantee'? You can show them a listing of the router from a bricks & mortar store selling it a lower price, for example MSY, and get it at Officeworks for that MSY price less %5.

Link to my post
Link to peteru's post
Link to Officeworks 'Price Beat Guarantee'
TimKloot wrote: So I have to get software installed on it then retrieve a password from its configuration web interface.

No, not required. Go and re-read the Quick Installation Guide again.

*Righto Grumpy- I hadn't actually had the right opportunity to find & read the damn manual, as the link reposted by MrQuade during our chats didn't actually lead directly to it.

Regardless I am now armed with the new information. Leaving me with the same personal question of whether or not a local Officeworks will have it in stock for delivery. I have a workplace injury and should not drive. Therefore before MrQuade and my chats had finished I had to ask for his particular advice on what I needed to look for in other products...

I don't see the harm in asking the him what makes it so.

Now I wonder if I need a SIM Card in both the router and my Telstra WIFI PLUS when it is connected to the Beyonwiz V2- though I guess I will just have to buy an extra $2 SIM if I "run into a wall"- or try to connect with MrQuade again.

I've also forgotten to mention that when I inserted my device straight into the Beyonwiz there was a green flashing light on my device, which according to the instructions says is an indicator that a software update is available. I can't remember it happening when I had one years ago, nor find any information on if this needs to be done with a computer first or once it is connected.

So in summary- thanks for the "g up" as if I didn't see those exact words I may not have read the manual (for the very first time).

Whew!
Tim Kloot.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:34

I was also perusing an email update regarding some eBay searches on ChromeCast devices and other ones like the attached-

But if MrQuade reads this don't worry about it.

My last message to you was mainly a reply, sound out and most of all a thankyou for putting everything in order together for me...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200630-195300.png

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:55

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:16

*Righto Grumpy- I hadn't actually had the right opportunity to find & read the damn manual, as the link reposted by MrQuade during our chats didn't actually lead directly to it.

Regardless I am now armed with the new information. Leaving me with the same personal question of whether or not a local Officeworks will have it in stock for delivery. I have a workplace injury and should not drive. Therefore before MrQuade and my chats had finished I had to ask for his particular advice on what I needed to look for in other products...
All of the users of the forum like to help new users, so lots of advice is always welcomed :)

Grumpy Geoff was first to suggest that particular TPLink router in this thread, and it does look like the most effective cheap option in your case.

But yes, sorry about the link. It seems that tplink don't like people directly linking to their documents.

I'd suggested Officeworks on the assumption that it would be quicker and easier for you to obtain one from them, plus you'd be able to return it in case of any problems. Sometimes paying a bit more is worth the convenience over buing something cheaper from an eBay retailer.

Considering your limited mobility though, you should consider sourcing one cheaply if you can get one that will deliver from an Australian warehouse.
TimKloot wrote:

Now I wonder if I need a SIM Card in both the router and my Telstra WIFI PLUS when it is connected to the Beyonwiz V2- though I guess I will just have to buy an extra $2 SIM if I "run into a wall"- or try to connect with MrQuade again.
You only need a SIM in the dongle. The router doesn't have it's own 4g radio, so it doesn't need a SIM.
TimKloot wrote:

I've also forgotten to mention that when I inserted my device straight into the Beyonwiz there was a green flashing light on my device, which according to the instructions says is an indicator that a software update is available. I can't remember it happening when I had one years ago, nor find any information on if this needs to be done with a computer first or once it is connected.
You mean the green flashing light was on the V2?

The V2 will signal that an update is available by flashing a green up-arrow in the on-screen infobar.

If that's what you saw, I'd be very interested indeed!
Last edited by MrQuade on Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:59

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:34
I was also perusing an email update regarding some eBay searches on ChromeCast devices and other ones like the attached-
I'd be very cautious buying any third party casting devices myself. You can't really guarantee the quality unless you can find a reliable opinion from another user you trust. Plus it may not be supported in the long run by the manufacturer. Some devices may limit you in what casting standards they support as well. With a genuine Google device, you at least know what it can and cant do.

Google is going to be releasing that new Chromecast sometime in the near future. I personally think it sounds like a good option because it will run a fully functional Android tv operating system and comes with a separate remote control.

However if you want the functionality now and can find a cheap genuine current generation Chromecast, then go ahead and grab that. You'll just need to control it with your phone.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:24

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:55
TimKloot wrote:

All of the users of the forum like to help new users, so lots of advice is always welcomed :)

Grumpy Geoff was first to suggest that particular TPLink router in this thread, and it does look like the most effective cheap option in your case.

But yes, sorry about the link. It seems that tplink don't like people directly linking to their documents.

I'd suggested Officeworks on the assumption that it would be quicker and easier for you to obtain one from them, plus you'd be able to return it in case of any problems. Sometimes paying a bit more is worth the convenience over buing something cheaper from an eBay retailer.

Considering your limited mobility though, you should consider sourcing one cheaply if you can get one that will deliver from an Australian warehouse.
TimKloot wrote:

You only need a SIM in the dongle. The router doesn't have it's own 4g radio, so it doesn't need a SIM.
TimKloot wrote:

You mean the green flashing light was on the V2?

The V2 will signal that an update is available by flashing a green up-arrow in the on-screen infobar.

If that's what you saw, I'd be very interested indeed!

Yes, once again extremely grateful for all of the responses!
(I am sure that I have said this but I will say it again. A person in my situation finds it nearly impossible to get the information I need and this forum is fantastic)

Also once again, I was definitely going to take your continued advice) support as my first goto- unless I ran into those possible problems. As you said, lots of advice is welcomed and I must seize the opportunity to garner all possible.
*It would still be really nice to know what I needed to look for but at this moment I forget what I bloody well asked!
I also wanted to know why I couldn't plug my device straight into the Beyonwiz or have used a $5 USB to Ethernet adaptor plug.

Lastly, I try very hard to work on wording these questions right because usually the key to getting the right answers comes with asking the right question. So indeed it is the Telstra USB WIFI PLUS that has the flashing light. As I said (?) according to the manual it means that an update is available and I can't remember it happening the last time I used one.

As for the SIM Card needed in the router, the manual (nevermind about the link- it just meant those late night replies may have been a bit easier and luckily I tried to search for the product from there), so the manual says to insert the SIM into a slot as shown in a picture.
This is why I needed to clarify and to be honest I have no idea what you mean by it not having its own 4G radio!

Crikey,
Tim.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200701-183856.png

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:28

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:59
TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:34
I'd be very cautious buying any third party casting devices myself. You can't really guarantee the quality unless you can find a reliable opinion from another user you trust. Plus it may not be supported in the long run by the manufacturer. Some devices may limit you in what casting standards they support as well. With a genuine Google device, you at least know what it can and cant do.

Google is going to be releasing that new Chromecast sometime in the near future. I personally think it sounds like a good option because it will run a fully functional Android tv operating system and comes with a separate remote control.

However if you want the functionality now and can find a cheap genuine current generation Chromecast, then go ahead and grab that. You'll just need to control it with your phone.

No worries- that answers that !

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 20:05

TimKloot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:24
*It would still be really nice to know what I needed to look for but at this moment I forget what I bloody well asked!

You don't have a home wireless network, so it's pointless looking for anything other than what's already been suggested -
  1. a 3G/4G wireless router
    This will give access to your Wiz and also to your TV if you connect them via ethernet (or your TV via wireless).
    This will also provide a wireless network for your phone to use.
    You don't have a broadband connection at your place (no NBN, no ADSL, no fixed wireless), so the router needs to get its data connection from the 4G wireless USB dongle (modem).
  2. a Chromecast if you wish to use one.
    It can connect to the router's wireless network.
TimKloot wrote: I also wanted to know why I couldn't plug my device straight into the Beyonwiz or have used a $5 USB to Ethernet adaptor plug.

The 4G USB dongle is a modem. It must be plugged into devices that are designed to use it as a modem, such as a computer or in this case a router. It is not a 2.4GHz/5GHz wireless adapter so it's unsuitable for plugging into the Wiz.
TimKloot wrote: As for the SIM Card needed in the router, the manual (nevermind about the link- it just meant those late night replies may have been a bit easier and luckily I tried to search for the product from there), so the manual says to insert the SIM into a slot as shown in a picture.

Where is that stated?
I couldn't find it stated in the "Quick Installation Guide" nor the "User Guide" for the TL-MR3420.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 21:28

Thanks for the post Geoff.

1) I am not looking for anything else!!!
MrQuade has reposted your link several times during our chats and I trust your and his continued advice on the matter. I won't describe why it would be helpful to know what exactly makes it perfect again for two reasons-
One it is getting very tedious and secondly I have no need to connect with the Beyonwiz V2 anyway. As previously discussed, I cannot open a browser with the V2, YouTube doesn't work, I can't stream content through it and the Plugins are more for programme scheduling etc. - which I don't need plus MrQuade's other personal uses aren't really something I need also.

(Kodi advertised on the box got me to searching that topic again but I think will leave this for another day or year even!)

Now, I know I don't have a home network, hence the wireless option but thankyou for saying that my device isn't a 2.5GHz/5GHz wireless adapter- that's helpful information personally...

I am definitely looking at ChromeCast as discussed with MrQuade also.

So with your first message a couple days back, I am now sure that software need not be installed and well I must run for now but I nearly have pretty much all I need except for the Kodi opinions and the SIM Card you asked about (although still seemingly answered).

Must run

This is what I read as needing a SIM Card-
Attachments
Screenshot_20200701-210617.png

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 01, 2020 22:33

TimKloot wrote:
also wanted to know why I couldn't plug my device straight into the Beyonwiz or have used a $5 USB to Ethernet adaptor plug.
Because the V2 isn't design to connect t USB 4G dongles. It doesn't have any drivers to detect and operate with it.

The router we have recommended *can* talk to that dongle, and can use it to connect to the internet.
That same router can act as an internet gateway for all the devices in your house.
So your phone, the V2 and a Chromecast can all connect to the router's built-in WiFi radio, or via an Ethernet cable, and then relay that data onto the Internet out through the USB 4G dongle.
TimKloot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 21:28
The device in that picture does not look like the one we recommended. It has a "TL_MR1...." showing in the picture, but we are advising you to buy a TL-MR3420.
The device picture looks like a TL-MR100 by the look of it.
TimKloot wrote:
Lastly, I try very hard to work on wording these questions right because usually the key to getting the right answers comes with asking the right question. So indeed it is the Telstra USB WIFI PLUS that has the flashing light. As I said (?) according to the manual it means that an update is available and I can't remember it happening the last time I used one.
I wouldn't worry about the light.

Code: Select all

Indicates the connection status to the Mobile network (connection to the internet).
 Blinking green twice every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is powered on.
 Blinking green once every 0.2 sec: The software of the LTE E8372 is being upgraded.
 Blinking green once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a 2G network.
 Steady green: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 2G network.
 Blinking blue once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a 3G network.
 Steady blue: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 3G network.
 Blinking cyan once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a LTE network.
 Steady cyan: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 4G/LTE network.
 Off: The LTE E8372 has been removed.
If it was updating, it would be blinking *very* quickly. I'm guessing you saw it blinking ever 2 seconds, which means it was just powered on.

BTW, that LAN to USB adaptor you posted a picture of doesn't look like a product that actually does anything. It looks to me some sort of weird cable/plug adaptor that may have a very specific use, but not one that is practical to most users.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 22:33
BTW, that LAN to USB adaptor you posted a picture of doesn't look like a product that actually does anything. It looks to me some sort of weird cable/plug adaptor that may have a very specific use, but not one that is practical to most users.

It's also quite odd in having a male RJ45 in combination with a female USB A connector.

A USB-to-Ethernet connector would normally be a male USB connector and a female RJ45. I have one connected to my Macbook (though the USB side is a male USB C connector, and the other side has a bunch of other connectors as well as the RJ45). It also cost a good deal more than $4.45.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 20:55

prl wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12
MrQuade wrote:

It's also quite odd in having a male RJ45 in combination with a female USB A connector.

A USB-to-Ethernet connector would normally be a male USB connector and a female RJ45. I have one connected to my Macbook (though the USB side is a male USB C connector, and the other side has a bunch of other connectors as well as the RJ45). It also cost a good deal more than $4.45.

Hi prl,

Thanks for the post.
I am usually stuck in my chair with a lot of back pain when using the Internet/Replies etc., so I wondered if I got the male to female combination right that time as I was looking for a female USB to an Ethernet for my WIFI Stick quite awhile ago and thought I would use it as an example anyway.
(And) yes, I found some that cost around the $40 I think...

I have seen MrQuade's reply also so I am definitely throwing the idea out the window, finally!

Cheers,
Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 21:34

MrQuade wrote:
TimKloot wrote:
also wanted to know why I couldn't plug my device straight into the Beyonwiz or have used a $5 USB to Ethernet adaptor plug.
Because the V2 isn't design to connect t USB 4G dongles. It doesn't have any drivers to detect and operate with it.

Thanks for that MrQuade, I think someone had said that before though it's hard to remember all of these things at once, considering how long it has taken to get to this point!
(Because I don't understand drivers properly, I instantly wonder how it can operate a modem/router- but not what I also understand to be a simple device like my own.)

The router we have recommended *can* talk to that dongle, and can use it to connect to the internet.
That same router can act as an internet gateway for all the devices in your house.
So your phone, the V2 and a Chromecast can all connect to the router's built-in WiFi radio, or via an Ethernet cable, and then relay that data onto the Internet out through the USB 4G dongle.

-Yes you told me that, I don't doubt it.

TimKloot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 21:28
The device in that picture does not look like the one we recommended. It has a "TL_MR1...." showing in the picture, but we are advising you to buy a TL-MR3420.
The device picture looks like a TL-MR100 by the look of it.

-Well that would explain why G.Geoff couldn't see it. I could have sworn at the time that I had eventually clicked on the right product. I will have to find it properly and re-download the instructions should I lose access to this thread.
TimKloot wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the light.

Code: Select all

Indicates the connection status to the Mobile network (connection to the internet).
 Blinking green twice every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is powered on.
 Blinking green once every 0.2 sec: The software of the LTE E8372 is being upgraded.
 Blinking green once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a 2G network.
 Steady green: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 2G network.
 Blinking blue once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a 3G network.
 Steady blue: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 3G network.
 Blinking cyan once every 2 sec: The LTE E8372 is registered with a LTE network.
 Steady cyan: The LTE E8372 is connected to a 4G/LTE network.
 Off: The LTE E8372 has been removed.
If it was updating, it would be blinking *very* quickly. I'm guessing you saw it blinking ever 2 seconds, which means it was just powered on.

(thankyou for researching the matter)
Ok, well according to what you have found- being powered on corresponds to what I saw. With some retrospect I should have taken a picture.
-In fact I just tried to attach a picture of the in-box instructions though the file was too large so I will try to post after this reply is finished as it is completely different from yours...

Yeah I have seen a few adaptors that seem to connect the male/female combination exactly the same way as it was going to connect originally.
Although they must do something. As you say 'a very specific use' and the idea popped into my head as soon as I tried plugging in my device so I searched eBay straight away and have been dying to hear if anyone knows if it would work. Probably a little late to be asking again, considering we have been over all of this although "prl" did send a message- so not completely a waste.

-Regardless as you said, the V2 doesn't have the drivers...

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 21:41

MrQuade-

I hope you can see this properly- I had to take a screenshot of what my camera was seeing!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200702-213926.png

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 21:47

This should be better;
Attachments
Screenshot_20200702-214235.png

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:02

I wouldn't worry about it.
Theres not much you could you about updating it without a PC anyway as I assume you would need to run an update program of some sort.

Unlikely to be a bother.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:00

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:02
I wouldn't worry about it.
Theres not much you could you about updating it without a PC anyway as I assume you would need to run an update program of some sort.

Unlikely to be a bother.

Yes, considering all other "bothers"!
Cheers mate.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:04

Hate to be a pain in the,
But I came across this router when I was quick- clicking...

What makes this a no-go?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200707-190133.png

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:05

And
Attachments
Screenshot_20200707-190156.png
Screenshot_20200707-190146.png

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:08

Hope Everyone is safe and well..
We must not let this get us down, we deal with a great deal on not only a daily basis- but in our past, (present) and future.
This is just another hurdle...
😬😷🤧🤕🙄😏🙃🙂😉😃!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:33

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:04
Hate to be a pain in the,
But I came across this router when I was quick- clicking...

What makes this a no-go?
That looks like it would do the job too.

It's designed for a VDSL (phone line) NBN connection, bit it will accept your usb 4g dongle to act as a "backup" internet connection.

The wifi on that one looks better too.

$37 seems reasonable, but the usual precautions apply to anything bought second hand from eBay of course :)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:56

TimKloot wrote:
What makes this a no-go?

Netgear V7610
Page 31 of the User Guide has the set up details for a 4G USB modem -
https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/ ... -guide.pdf
It does say "supported Mobile Broadband USB adapter" but page 32 has a pic of the Huawei adapter you have.

But the V7610 doesn't have a great reputation.

If you want to go a bit cheaper than the previously suggested TP-Link TL-MR3420, seek out an ex-Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1 (Technicolor DJA0230) from Gumtree or FB Marketplace or eBay. It has a SIM slot for backup 4G WAN.
Rip out the existing SIM from it (Telstra provided it with the modem/router) and put your SIM from the Huawei in it. You may have to change the APN to match that of your Huaweii, something like -
telstra.extranet
telstra.hybrid
telstra.internet
The "unofficial" manual for the DJA0230 states 'Supportive of 3G/4G UMTS dongle backup' so it may be possible to plug the Huaweii dongle directly into the DJA0230.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Jul 07, 2020 21:06

TimKloot wrote:
What makes this a no-go?
Your ability to make it work. And when you can't make it work, your ability to return it for a refund. It's most likely just going to be a waste of money and time and drive you up the wall in the process.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 05:38

Hi guys, apologies it's been awhile- but I really do have a lot going on.

So firstly thank you for taking the time to have a look at the 'quick click' router- I didn't notice that particular one was 2nd hand when posting it, only a couple of others..

Have to admit that I was feeling quite upbeat about stumbling across it from the time of the first two responses- but the third points me straight back to your repeated recommendation so no harm, no foul I suppose!

Be back later today to re-read your details on the capability of what specifically makes it viable should I risk a 2nd hand router..
Only for educational purposes.

Hope all are plodding along through the ups and downs at the moment 👍 Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:56
TimKloot wrote:
What makes this a no-go?

Netgear V7610
Page 31 of the User Guide has the set up details for a 4G USB modem -
https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/ ... -guide.pdf
It does say "supported Mobile Broadband USB adapter" but page 32 has a pic of the Huawei adapter you have.

But the V7610 doesn't have a great reputation.

If you want to go a bit cheaper than the previously suggested TP-Link TL-MR3420, seek out an ex-Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1 (Technicolor DJA0230) from Gumtree or FB Marketplace or eBay. It has a SIM slot for backup 4G WAN.
Rip out the existing SIM from it (Telstra provided it with the modem/router) and put your SIM from the Huawei in it. You may have to change the APN to match that of your Huaweii, something like -
telstra.extranet
telstra.hybrid
telstra.internet
The "unofficial" manual for the DJA0230 states 'Supportive of 3G/4G UMTS dongle backup' so it may be possible to plug the Huaweii dongle directly into the DJA0230.

🙄-Look out, it is I again!
Hope all are well.

The money and time has now come for me to finally make the leap forward to paying for television shows (we just had to desire another American trait!)- so before I go ahead and look for the best deal possible for the recommended router you have so patiently helped me with, I wonder if you have any spare time/thoughts on why the Netgear has a bad reputation- as well as why the aforementioned would be better?

I went over this thread last night and didn't get to a site with a price for your recommendation, but just beforehand the eBay 'watch reminder' was an easy quick link and I saw it being a brand new "should do the job but has a bad reputation" $35 router that has a very familiar name- delivered within a few clicks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264775246060
If anyone would kindly have a quick look again and tell me anything else that you can think of that might be relevant.
Again, I have concluded that I will be buying a router and Chromecast to use simply for a few 30- 52 minute TV shows or the rare movie whilst keeping prices to an absolute minimum as I use my phone for majority of needs...

Cheers guys, news alert on again- stay safe and sound,
Tim.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jul 28, 2020 14:36

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56
I wonder if you have any spare time/thoughts on why the Netgear has a bad reputation- as well as why the aforementioned would be better?

From threads in the Whirlpool forum. The Netgear V7610 may be fine if you're not too demanding of it.
If you're going to grab one, try to get it cheap in case you struggle to get it to work with your USB dongle.
TimKloot wrote:
I went over this thread last night and didn't get to a site with a price for your recommendation

Previously I posted a link to a site that shows the pricing for the TP-Link TL-MR3420, here it is again -
http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TL-MR3420
Example, the TL-MR3420 at MSY is $45 plus postage (add it to the cart, then go to the cart and enter your postcode to get a shipping cost [for me in Perth it's $12.91]).
Both peteru and MrQuade suggested you can buy it from Officeworks as it should be easy for you to obtain, and both posted links. Following that suggestion I posted a link to the Officeworks "Price Beat Guarantee", again I'll link to it ==> here.
It appears you can't get the TL-MR3420 online from Officeworks. It is $68 in-store.
TimKloot wrote:
, but just beforehand the eBay 'watch reminder' was an easy quick link and I saw it being a brand new "should do the job but has a bad reputation" $35 router that has a very familiar name- delivered within a few clicks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264775246060
If anyone would kindly have a quick look again and tell me anything else that you can think of that might be relevant.

"Telstra Velocity" - Telstra's own fibre optic broadband network.
It's not a 4G modem as far as I know.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 19:08

Hi Geoff- finally got back to the subject, apologies for I really do appreciate your time and help.

Another apology for mis-wording.
I meant to say that I had a quick look over the posts and clicking within one of your most recent replies, didn't take me to a checkout area so that I could from there.

Probably infuriating you beyond all reasonable doubt, so thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for your consistent patience and I hope to report back with something worth reading next time!

Cheers,
Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 19:10

Oh, and for the record I heard what you were saying about the Netgear and need thankyou for your time on that one specifically and as a whole.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 17:02

Hey guys- sorry no Router yet as I have kept on leaving this part of the budget for very last and my handheld Dyson DC45 vacuum just packed it in (not bad had it since 2012, used everyday)..

So I was just doing price comparison on eBay for free shipping etc as Officeworks' price has at $65, then stumbled upon this- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132525684347
Not sure if you know of it and the only benefit is it's size whilst losing out on reception a little- but would love to hear thoughts before I go ahead and buy one of the four available TL-3MR420...

Thanks,
Tim

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 03, 2020 17:42

The E8372 4G dongle that you have is not explicitly listed as being supported by the TL-MR3020 according to TP-Link's website.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/3g-c ... =TL-MR3020

That's not to say that it won't work, as it claims to support "120+ modems", but you'd be taking a chance I think. (120+ might include several variants of generic modems that share the same chips inside and just get re-badged)

It looks like you can buy that TL-MR3020 for about $40 at a local Brick and Mortar store too, so I don't think the EBay link is a particularly good bargain.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 20:21

Perfect- thanks for that MrQuade.

Especially the reminder that eBay isn't always the cheapest option, as I can get into the habit of going straight to the app rather than shop around after a few successful purchases- and I need to find the cheapest vacuum for my cabin and a Chromecast sooner rather than later considering current events.
Cheers mate...

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 20:23

I forgot the whole reason for asking!- it is simply a more compact and portable option isn't it?
With the signal to the service provider being somewhat sacrificed?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 03, 2020 23:18

TimKloot wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 20:23
I forgot the whole reason for asking!- it is simply a more compact and portable option isn't it?
With the signal to the service provider being somewhat sacrificed?
Yes, it is a portable variation of the same type of device. Its exact compatibilities and performance will be slightly different.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 01:33

Thankyou.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 09:49

TimKloot wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 17:02
So I was just doing price comparison on eBay for free shipping etc as Officeworks' price has at $65, then stumbled upon this- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132525684347
Not sure if you know of it and the only benefit is it's size whilst losing out on reception a little- but would love to hear thoughts before I go ahead and buy one of the four available TL-3MR420...

You were already shown that TL-MR3020 portable router on 19-Jun.
In a following post, peteru suggested the (non-portable) TL-MR3420 was -
"That looks like the best option. I would not go for the cheaper option." (that "cheaper option" being the TL-MR3020).

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 15:10

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 09:49
TimKloot wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 17:02

You were already shown that TL-MR3020 portable router on 19-Jun.
In a following post, peteru suggested the (non-portable) TL-MR3420 was -
"That looks like the best option. I would not go for the cheaper option." (that "cheaper option" being the TL-MR3020).

Yes Grumpy, funnily enough last night I recognised that model name when trying to make sure that I was buying the correctly advised product on eBay.

Reason being is that I was viewing two TL-MR3420's and the cheaper option had a disclaimer of sorts right at the bottom of a long specifications list saying, that it Was Not an "ADSL2+" whereas the other exact same model (identical picture) was quoting it was an ADSL2+ in the heading of the first page.

It was very early this morning and I nearly succumbed to the much cheaper, more compact and better looking MR3020- because a lot had been purchased in the last 24 hours and there had been a very negative review amongst the generic positives, but there was no way I could go past your advice!

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 16:02

(continued)

So here's the router that states that it has the ADSL+2 function https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202347063389 and here's the router that I ended up saving a whole $3.10 on, just because I was so tired, wasn't sure if either Seller actually knew about there product and even if they did I wouldn't know until I actually had it in my hands.
So to get the darn ball rolling https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290621482871 is what I ended up placing an order for.

I also purchased https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401840084201 as the television I have set up with the Beyonwiz V2 is my old gaming tv that only has the one HDMI port (because it was also originally intended for the previous residence' bedroom!)
I did see products with a remote but reviews said the remote stopped working shortly after purchase and I've had bad experiences with past powerboard supply units from Jaycar misbehaving when pressed or even not being pressed (presumably a neighbour using the same frequency as they had a good range)- and any programming associated with that powerboard would be missed...

Lastly, for MrQuade really, I went ahead and proceeded to attempt a Chromecast purchase.
After some reading I deduced that the new Chromecast is not worth waiting for due to the Coronavirus impact, as well as various other reasons really so I have purchased one straight from Kmart with free shipping for $59 (eBay was an absolute nightmare- once out of that app this was perfectly straightforward).

Now, I wonder what you think about the possibility of needing to hook the router up to the Chromecast via Ethernet?- for better, more trusted data transfer?
If so there were a wide range Micro-USB adaptors on eBay, from $10-$50 and wonder what your thoughts are on this- for now relative to my need?
The cheaper end was https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/114237060702 and https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293651804770 was the most expensive though I believe that this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283930665994 is going to be the most expensive option as the previous one mentioned 2nd Generation Fire Stick and the others don't mention the 2nd Gen.

Well, that's all I can think to try and update you on, for better or worse keep your brain juices flowing- and truly hope you and all who read this, are well...

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 04, 2020 16:27

TimKloot wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 16:02
So here's the router that states that it has the ADSL+2 function https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202347063389 and here's the router that I ended up saving a whole $3.10 on, just because I was so tired, wasn't sure if either Seller actually knew about there product and even if they did I wouldn't know until I actually had it in my hands.
So to get the darn ball rolling https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290621482871 is what I ended up placing an order for.
The MR3240 has no ADSL modem, so on its own it would never work with an ADSL or VDSL connection.
It would work if you had a separate ADSL or VDSL modem to plug into it though.
TimKloot wrote:
I also purchased https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401840084201 as the television I have set up with the Beyonwiz V2 is my old gaming tv that only has the one HDMI port (because it was also originally intended for the previous residence' bedroom!)
I did see products with a remote but reviews said the remote stopped working shortly after purchase and I've had bad experiences with past powerboard supply units from Jaycar misbehaving when pressed or even not being pressed (presumably a neighbour using the same frequency as they had a good range)- and any programming associated with that powerboard would be missed...
That should work. You may even find that it can switch automatically if you turn source devices off, but I wouldn't rely on that.
TimKloot wrote:
Now, I wonder what you think about the possibility of needing to hook the router up to the Chromecast via Ethernet?- for better, more trusted data transfer?
If so there were a wide range Micro-USB adaptors on eBay, from $10-$50 and wonder what your thoughts are on this- for now relative to my need?
The cheaper end was https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/114237060702 and https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293651804770 was the most expensive though I believe that this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283930665994 is going to be the most expensive option as the previous one mentioned 2nd Generation Fire Stick and the others don't mention the 2nd Gen.
The cheap one looks unlikely to work, but the other would.
There is practically no benefit to you by connecting the Chromecast to Ethernet, so I wouldn't bother personally. It's more money to add complexity and it won't benefit you with such a small network.
The Chomecast Ultra comes with its own Ethernet adaptor that is built into the power supply, so that's the way I connect mine at the moment.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 00:48

Ok thanks for all of that and I know that the only difference between the Ultra and earlier model is 4k and the Ethernet option- so all that said is the 4k the only reason for you connecting the Ethernet cable?
(because you said there is no benefit for me doing so.)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 05, 2020 01:46

TimKloot wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 00:48
Ok thanks for all of that and I know that the only difference between the Ultra and earlier model is 4k and the Ethernet option- so all that said is the 4k the only reason for you connecting the Ethernet cable?
(because you said there is no benefit for me doing so.)
A wired connection will usually result in a faster and more reliable network connection to a device, particularly when you are in a location with a lot of RF interference.

In your case, your house sounds like it is pretty remote, so the chances of your wireless suffering from interference is low.
Wifi speed should be more than quick enough for streaming SD video for you (I wouldn't recommend HD video given your 4G data limits, and definitely not UHD).

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 21:07

Yes see this is why I posted the device originally- as for around $12 I would very much prefer not to have any interruptions and I had to purchase the Chromecast at the lower price whilst there or else I might not have done it until next week.

Not only am I unaware of the costs involved in an interrupted stream but undertaking this (relatively) new experience I wanted to get everything right the first time so that when the time comes I am not left staring at the screen in utter frustration and contempt!

So sorry Grumpy, but what do you think about the device I shared MrQuade?- or others like it?

I can't remember right now what he said about the quality for the price although I remember something was dodgy at that price- I shall have to recheck the post after a few more jobs...

Here's the cheapest version
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/114237060702 and a more confidence building product https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283930665994 which I know, puts me right back in the Ultra Chromecast price range ultimately...
Last edited by TimKloot on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Wed Aug 05, 2020 21:11

*Oh well after finishing that reply I realised I had access to the post again- a little embarrassing but there has been so much going on here I would forget my head if .....

So he says that it was unlikely to work but the others should be fine.

To me it doesn't seem like the type of device to have many failing parts but some of the instructions are a little specific and strange, so any opinions are very much welcome as always.

Thanks guys,
Tim.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 18:50

Hi to any and all!

Well for the record I managed to gather everything together, the Router suggested, 2nd Generation Chromecast with Ethernet cable and HDMI splitter.

*Actually I ended up with 3 X Chromecast due to Australia Post incorrectly handling my item and after a few somewhat stern phone calls, I think the escalation manager whom took over my case made it so sure that I would receive my Chromecast that he generated two extra items with the same tracking numbers!
;) eventually made some people happy & much needed pocket money...

*So, I have been reluctant to start hooking the router and Cast up as (being a pre-paid user here), I only have just over 100GB of data on the SIM Card in my phone, of which I intend to use as the device to 'control' or stream to the router/Chromecast/TV.

This is why I am writing.
This is to those whom are familiar with my situation only..
Before I go about hooking up these devices that will hardly ever be used unless I put and start a coin jar- does the SIM Card that i need placed in the Huawei Mobile Data Stick (connected to the router port), be charged for what Service, or services?

i.e. Imagine I have everything hooked up.
I turn on my phone after watching the news, dinner and dishes are done and I want to say, pay for a viewing of the latest Star Wars Movie, or The Mandalorian which is being streamed via Disney Plus currently, (to which presume that I have activated a 30 day free pass as previously suggested).

Each has different payment requirements, but which SIM Card needs a minimum of what exactly and which gets charged to which, exactly?

Hope everyone has faired well now that we seem to be over a hump of sorts- any and all replies will be very gratefully received!

Thanks for reading this far,
Tim.

(P.S. thanks again for getting me thus far, you all know who you are)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:18

In that scenario, I don't think you even need to use the router and 4G dongle. Just set up a wireless hotspot on your phone and get the Chromecast to join that hotspot and then cast from the phone.

However, if the data cap ends up being too limited on your phone, then you'd need to have a prepaid SIM in the 4G dongle, attached to the router, to provide internet access to the Chromecast. You'd still cast from the phone, but the Chromecast will be connected to the router's Wi-Fi network (as would your phone, but it won't have its wireless hotspot enabled) and would be streaming the content (movie, YouTube) through the router/dongle.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Sun Nov 08, 2020 20:27

Great to hear from you "Grumpy Geoff"..!

That first part sounds fantastic but I need to clarify a fair bit here.
I have been explicitly told that I need a router to use the Chromecast whilst I use my phone to access online services that interact with "Google" and this device, so therefore I wonder if you can't tell me exactly how my phone will be accessing the Chromecast device- without it having a SIM Card to relay a signal of any sort?

Once I turn on the router and Chromecast, then plug in to the right slots- will searching for available wifi networks find these devices, thus turning my phone into a hotspot whilst the router acts as an amplifier, dealing with excess firmware needed for the Chromecast to function?
If it's something like that then I am quite eager to try.

As for the data cap becoming too much- I think the best approach will be to worry about the prices once I clearly have at least, say, a flat, pre-paid Google Play episode or movie of some sort and then move on to the price of viewing/streaming services such as "7Flix" etc.

*As I said I have just over 100Gb of data in my Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Data Bank, which should be ample to get the "system" up and running- and quite a few views from what I remember you guys have already run through with me.

Although this is all I have access to entirely so getting this worked out before I start inserting SIM Cards to see what's receiving a signal, whilst floundering in the dark possibly wasting it all is absolutely imperative!

Regards,
Tim.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Nov 08, 2020 21:19

Just short of five months of posting on this issue is too much for me to go back and research the "why's and how's".

Take it in baby steps.
Enable wireless hotspot on your phone.
Plug the Chromecast into the TV.
Use Google Home (or whatever) to setup the Chromecast.
Does it work? You should see a slideshow of images from Google.
If you do - your Chromecast is accessing the internet through your phone.

Then on your phone, use the Google Home settings to cast your phone's screen (select your Chromecast, select "Cast my screen"). Do you see the screen replicated on the TV? Good.

Then stop casting your phone's screen image.
Open YouTube and play any random video. Hit the "cast" icon and choose your Chromecast as the destination.
Do you see the YT video on the TV?

The router would be needed if you wanted to connect your smart TV to the internet by ethernet cable.
But the TV likely can connect via wireless too - either to your phone's wireless hotspot or to the router and dongle.

To paraphrase MrQuade -
"The router/dongle combo can be used as the internet gateway for all the devices in your house."
But it doesn't have to be the "gateway" for _all_ of the devices. Your phone has data. Your phone can setup a hotspot. Anything with a wireless radio (e.g. TV, Chromecast) should be able to use the hotspot.
You need the router to connect the V2 to the internet - but I thought you gave up on this idea.

Just try the phone hot-spotting method. Stop faffing around.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Nov 09, 2020 00:24

Haha, cheers mate.
Bloody brilliant of you to write.
Shall engage with the aforementioned...

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Nov 09, 2020 02:20

I thought I was on your page, decided to stay up tonight (many wonderfully fantastic mitigation).

I seem to keep pokijg at the door- thanks entirely to the information and wording beforehand, yet I cannot nudge..

Hmmm.

TimKloot
Apprentice

Post by TimKloot » Mon Nov 09, 2020 03:56

Hahahaha, yep- words are still interested in arranging themselves into a, ah, the hypnotic trance of alcohol can only take me so far.

Luckily I have had a series of events that has led me to have unwashed dishes (I mean unorganised but now unwashed!)

I am too sore and pissed off at the information at hand to be able to take a screenshot by screenshot project, if you will- to help myself ask for your extended help as I keep getting so close!

*I go through all of the buttons/, tabs", yet I cannot make it through this Wizard looking operation without there being a contingency plan from their end- like the strange new foolproof method of activating a telephone Service- without ever speaking with another...

Believe me I have tried.

But I digress and wanted to reset my internal memory....
Crikey!

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”