Does V2 know when a program actually starts and end, or does it rely on the published guide times?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Doonks
Apprentice

Does V2 know when a program actually starts and end, or does it rely on the published guide times?

Post by Doonks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:51

I set a timer to record a program via IceTV but the recording stopped about 3 minutes before the actual end of the program.

I've read the V2 does not have a pre or post padding setting and each timer has to be manually adjusted in order to achieve the effect of pre or post padding. This is annoying, especially when my years old DP-P2 does have padding.

So, does anyone know if the broadcast carries a signal to tell the machine that it has started and ended, or does the machine record in accordance with the times published by each station to the EPG?
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

I'm really not a techy, I need an injection of geekness!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Does V2 know when a program actually starts and end, or does it rely on the published guide times?

Post by MrQuade » Thu Nov 14, 2019 08:35

Doonks wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:51

I've read the V2 does not have a pre or post padding setting and each timer has to be manually adjusted in order to achieve the effect of pre or post padding. This is annoying, especially when my years old DP-P2 does have padding.
You've been misled then. The V2 has automatic padding much like the DP series.

The default pre and post padding values can be adjusted, and you can also then go in and tweak the timer after it has been set.

It sounds like you need to increase the defaultpadding values so that you don't miss the start and end of your shows. Back in the day, IceTV used to enforce their own default padding when you enabled the IceTV EPG, but I don't think this is still the case any more.

The difference between the DP and V2 is that once the timer is set, the V2 no longer distinguishes between the timer duration and the padding..... Everything is just one big timer.

The good news is that the V2 doesn't need to care about silly things like padding priority since it can happily record overlapping timers unlike the DPs.
Doonks wrote:
So, does anyone know if the broadcast carries a signal to tell the machine that it has started and ended, or does the machine record in accordance with the times published by each station to the EPG?
The V2 timers work of the EPG just as they do with the DP series.

However, if you set timers using the Autotimer feature, the V2 will automatically adjust the start and stop times any time the EPG changes.

This is less useful if you are using IceTV since the IceTV EPG data is not as precise and will often not be continually updated like the OTA EPG is.

The other neat thing about V2 recordings is that it does sort of detect the actual start and end of shows. When it is recording, it will detect when the now/next data changes and will automatically insert a bookmark into the recording. That easy when you play neck the recording, you can simply use the NEXT button to skip straight to the start of the show.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Does V2 know when a program actually starts and end, or does it rely on the published guide times?

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 08:35

Doonks wrote:
I've read the V2 does not have a pre or post padding setting and each timer has to be manually adjusted in order to achieve the effect of pre or post padding.

Where did you read such silliness?
Doonks wrote:
This is annoying, especially when my years old DP-P2 does have padding.

As do the T/U/V-series. Settings for "Margin before/after reoording (minutes)" are in the 'Recording and playback' screen (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Recording settings).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 08:54

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 08:35
Doonks wrote:
I've read the V2 does not have a pre or post padding setting and each timer has to be manually adjusted in order to achieve the effect of pre or post padding.

Where did you read such silliness?

Doonks isn't that far off. As MrQuade says, there are no separate padding settings in timers, as there are in the DP series and padding is added my altering ther start and end times. This is most noticible when setting a timer entirely by hand (TIMER, GREEN Add timer).

However, the padding adjustments are automatically made on IceTV timers, AutoTimers and when timers are set from the EPG.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 09:27

On the question in the topic title, IceTV will try to adjust start and end times where they know about them, but that's more for schedule changes. They will often miss late changes in schedules.

On "breaking news" days like yesterday, the schedule often flies out the window, IceTV isn't able to keep up with the changes and no reasonable amount of padding will ensure that recordigs capture complete programs.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Fri Nov 15, 2019 06:58

Thanks all

Would it be fair to say that using the V2 EPG set a timer is more likely to be aware of a delayed start, or extended finish time, than the IceTV EPG is?

The biggest impact to me about a recording ending before the end of the broadcast is on sporting events.

I'll have a play and see if I can change the recording settings.
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

I'm really not a techy, I need an injection of geekness!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21

Doonks wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 06:58
Would it be fair to say that using the V2 EPG set a timer is more likely to be aware of a delayed start, or extended finish time, than the IceTV EPG is?
The OTA EPG will be more accurate, particularly as you get closer to the start time of the program. The problem is that the V2 would have to already be tuned to that broadcaster in order to receive the most timely EPG updates.

Typically though, yes, the OTA EPG will be more accurate and precise (IceTV only works down to 5m intervals).

You would need to be using the V2's Autotimers in order for them to autimatically adjust the start and stop times. Regular timers will simply be set, and never self-adjust.
Doonks wrote:
I'll have a play and see if I can change the recording settings.
If you just set generous padding, you should be ok.
5 pre and 15 post is a good start, but if your programs are problematic, then 10 pre and 20 post is safer.

I chucked IceTV about a year back as it simply wasn't delivering value for money. The only thing it did for me that Autotimers can't, is filter out repeats.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28

Doonks wrote:

No, because if the V2 is subscribed to IceTV then that's the source for the EPG content. IceTV only has granularity to 5-minute intervals.
Doonks wrote:
The biggest impact to me about a recording ending before the end of the broadcast is on sporting events.

You can alter a recording timer that was set from IceTV and extend its end time, as MrQuade posted previously. But, if you make that change a long time before the event actually starts then there's a chance IceTV may make a change to the program's EPG guide data and hence reset the timer, thus your change is lost. Making the timer change as close as possible to the program's broadcast commencement can mitigate that, and you can also alter a running timer. Of course, that's a lot harder to do if you're not at home. For that scenario, I'd also record the following program.
Another workaround is to either -
  • Disable IceTV,
    Surf/zap to the broadcaster's network to populate their guide data,
    Create the timer from the EPG, giving it an extended end time,
    Then re-enable IceTV
  • Create an AutoTimer definition for the program, giving it a large custom post-padding value
IceTV won't get to know about the timer in either of those two, so it can't mess with it.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 09:00

In Gumpy_Geoff's Disable IceTV ... Enable IceTV procedure, you might was to add a fetch EPG and timers after re-enabling IceTV, otherwise you won't have any EPG until the box does its next schedulled fetch from iceTV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”