Wrong video ratio.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

Wrong video ratio.

Post by The Old Man » Mon Mar 04, 2024 17:42

I have finding that my TV is starting to display the wrong video ratio which should always be 16x9 except for older programs which are usually 4x3 with empty space in both sides.

I have seen the picture display this way ever when viewing the EPG or timer list. There are settings on TV which I change to alter display ratios. I have even seen this change when watching a recording but never when on live TV.

Which device is creating this problem the V2 OT TV?

I can't be certain if the problem is from the V2 or my TV.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Wrong video ratio.

Post by peteru » Mon Mar 04, 2024 17:54

TV

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Mar 06, 2024 15:30

I thought that it might be the TV and I did some shecking starting I using different HDMI cabels. This gave me the same results.

The TV has a setting to automatically select the output ratio or choose the one you want,mine is set to 16.9 but it seems to change by itself.

My TV has 4 HDMI out ports. The first is the V2 followed by BlueRay player, and an Amazon Firstick 4K. These other ports all work correctly and are displaying 16X9.

This leaves me with no difinitive answer.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Mar 07, 2024 01:33

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 17:42
I have seen the picture display this way ever when viewing the EPG or timer list. There are settings on TV which I change to alter display ratios. I have even seen this change when watching a recording but never when on live TV.
Are you trying to say that the edges of the EPG and timer list are cut off?
It's hard to tell what you are describing as the problem here.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Thu Mar 07, 2024 06:30

Please post a screenshot - you can create one using OpenWebif.
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Mar 07, 2024 08:10

TV.
Make and model?

Blog.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Fri Mar 08, 2024 14:37

A development. I noticed the other day that the remote for TV has quite a few buttons pressed way down as if someone had been sat on it. Maybe even the great,great grand kids who have been seen to be playing with all of my remotes.

After a lot of difficulty I managed to pry up at part of the edge but not all will come up.

I'm guessing that this might either the cause of my ratio problems or at least contributes to it.

To this end I have ordered another remote which claims to work with my model 70P10 US but the new one looks quite a bit different. It's should arrive here Monday.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sun Mar 10, 2024 17:34

Here are 2 shots of the EPG showing both 4x3 and 16x9. They were taken on my phone because I still can't get OpenWebIf to open I have tried every address suggested even entering the final set of digets as 1,2 etc.
Attachments
16x9.jpg
4x3.jpg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Mar 11, 2024 00:30

The Old Man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 17:34
Here are 2 shots of the EPG showing both 4x3 and 16x9. They were taken on my phone because I still can't get OpenWebIf to open I have tried every address suggested even entering the final set of digets as 1,2 etc.
Ok, so it is definitely not an aspect ratio problem as you have thought it might be.
It is as I suspected, and as PeterU has been saying.

Your TV has its overscan setting turned on. Overscan is when it scales the picture up to hide a couple of centimetres on all edges of the screen. It used to be useful back in the analog days, but it is useless now and should be OFF by default.

You want to turn that off overscan in your TV settings.

Depending on the make and model it will be called something different.
"Per Pixel" (LG - turn that on)
"Dot for Dot" (Brand?? - turn that on)
"Just Scan" (Samsung - turn that on)

This is why PeterU asked for your TV's make and model.

The "16:9" setting on the TV is often the wrong setting to use, as it will include overscan.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:53

The TV is TCL model 70P10 US. Dispite the fact that this set is almost 7 years old people have remarked how clear the picture was.

It's 4K. It has 4 HDMI in connections. I have both an Amazon Firestick 4K pro in one port and a Samsung DVD player and these have never switched to 4X3.

Overscan is off. I noticed a Picture preset button you can choose from Std,DYN,Movie & personel . I have changed it to movie.

IU have since seen both 4x3 and 16X9

I have just received the replacement remote but some buttons are are in slightly different locatons. I haven't checked to see if I can find a replacement button for ALL buttons on the old remote.

As I was looking through my settings on my V2 I noticed that it said what the network connection were. I tried to open OpenWebIf again just now on the PC and got the same result as before that the "the site could not be reached and that it refused to connect and again check again & firewall

ERR_Connection_Refused

tyreless
Apprentice

Post by tyreless » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:09

Check out p.15 of the manual for the TV (https://www.manualslib.com/products/Tcl ... 94146.html). There is a setting under “Picture” to turn the Overscan on or off.
Cheers,

Tyreless

2 x Beyonwiz T2 (Open ATV, EPG refresh, series to folder)
3 x Topfield PVRt 5000 (deceased)

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Mar 11, 2024 13:14

My previous post mentions that it's been turned off.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Mar 11, 2024 13:29

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 15:30
The TV has a setting to automatically select the output ratio or choose the one you want,mine is set to 16.9 but it seems to change by itself.

Do you mean the "Auto format" setting? What happens if you select that?
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Mar 11, 2024 14:41

The Old Man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 17:34
I access OpenWebif from this address for my V2, note last 3 digits specify the last 3 digits of my IP address I use for the V2 and it is a fixed address in my router
http://192.168.1.xxx/# Have no idea what the # symbol means

Works without any problems - my V3 is the same IP address plus 1
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18

netmask wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 14:41
I access OpenWebif from this address for my V2, note last 3 digits specify the last 3 digits of my IP address I use for the V2 and it is a fixed address in my router
http://192.168.1.xxx/# Have no idea what the # symbol means

It's an empty fragment identifier component in the URL (the fragment identifier follows the '#'), but in any case, it's unnecessary, so http://192.168.1.xxx/ will work just as well

@The Old Man
Depending on your router's capabilities, http://network_name_of_pvr/ may also work. The default network name of a V2 is beyonwizv2.

While 192.168.1.0 is often used as the local network address by routers, it's not necessarily the case. On my router (Fritz!Bot 7590), it's 192.168.178.0, and I've had routers that use 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.0 for the local network address.

You can find the PVR's IP address in MENU>Information>Network. That should eliminate guesswork if you need to use its numerical IP address.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Mar 12, 2024 19:28

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 13:14
My previous post mentions that it's been turned off.
The fact remains that the problem that you showed on those screenshots is definitely related to overscan.

It sounds as if setting the TV's Overscan setting to "off" isn't doing what it should.
Its possible the setting is inverted (off meaning on), though that is unlikely.
Also, often these settings can interact with other picture settings.
I see there is a "Auto format" and "Screen mode" setting in the same menu.
Depending on what they are set to, may influence how the overscan setting is interpreted.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Mar 12, 2024 21:22

Overscan settings can be per-input. Thus turning overscan off for the Amazon Firestick input does not necessarily mean that overscan will also be turned off for the Beyonwiz input.

Check all settings again while viewing the Beyonwiz.

Blog.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19

One more observation is that the EPG can be shown in either SD or HD. The SD version is so small it's very difficult to read.

I have seen the EPG display in SD and when I press a button, I get the notified of a problem followed immediately by the Spikey wheel for a few seconds.

Once it has refreshed itself the picture comes back in HD.

As for OpenWebIf I should be able to open it on any of my devices,PC,Laptop,Phone & tablet. Only the PC will open every time as for the others they will open only rarely. I have submitted the exact same number on each. I often get message that the site is not secure.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Mar 21, 2024 01:29

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19
One more observation is that the EPG can be shown in either SD or HD. The SD version is so small it's very difficult to read.

I have seen the EPG display in SD and when I press a button, I get the notified of a problem followed immediately by the Spikey wheel for a few seconds.
The EPG showing in SD or HD doesn't really make sense, the EPG will display the same way no matter what the TV picture is doing.

You might be trying to describe something else? What do you mean by SD or HD? Does the EPG fill the screen, but look blurry? Does it take up a fraction of the screen?

What is this message that is notifying you of a problem? Is it a popup or does it make the screen go black with large amounts of technical text showing? (the latter is a crash, which the Wiz then recovers from by restarting).

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Apr 01, 2024 13:28

Finally, I'm back with some new information and the first thing to point out is that the problem doesn't originate with my TV.

How do I know, because I have all of these all of my other things plugged into my HDMI ports and never once as ratio on the screen then wrong.

The next thing that I tried was to turn the back power switch off & on the V2 and let the V2 reboot, and I've done this many, many times.

I've seen it open in 16 by 9 and as I watch it it's suddenly reverts to 4x3?

I turn it off and on again and I end up with one ratio or the other.

I'm wondering is there not some data that has been logged this information and is stored somewhere that corresponds to the machines booting cycle. and perhaps if it might give us the answer.

Return to “General Topics V2”