USB Hub

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jan
Master

USB Hub

Post by Jan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 22:51

Hi All. Tonight, after a power outage, I thought I had lost my C & D Tuners. However after much fiddling, rebooting etc, turns out it was the powered USB Hub that died, not the Tuner dongle. I purchased the powered hub with my V2, as I had read before purchases that the external HD should be connected to a powered hub. At that stage I didn't really know how I would set things up. As it turns out, I connected the HD directly to the V2, and only used the hub for the wifi and tuner connections.

I have been Googling a new hub, and have found the powered ones are quite expensive from places like Officeworks, or computer shops. Also, they all seem to be 7 Port ones now, and that is really overkill for only 2 connections. So, considering the Hard Drive won't be connected to it, do I really need a powered one? Non-powered 4 port ones seem readily available. The other option is Amazon, where I can get a 4 port powered one, from brands I have never heard of, for around $25 - $30.

I would appreciate your thoughts! :D
Regards
Jan

IanL-S
Master

Re: USB Hub

Post by IanL-S » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:29

If you are only attaching USB Tuners and say a USB Keyboard/mouse then an unpowered USB hub will be fine. My BYOB IceTV IceBox PVR has an an unpowered 4 port USB 2 hub that supports 4 Tuners without any issues. If I am attaching a USB HDD then I use a powered USB 3 hub (unless the HDD has its own power supply).
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Jan
Master

Re: USB Hub

Post by Jan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 16:45

Thanks Ian! I'll go with the non-powered and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure I actually have one or two of them, but of course I can't find them now. Pretty sure they will turn up as soon as I go out and buy another one though!! :roll: :roll:
Regards
Jan

Return to “General Topics V2”