Are there any alternative ways to get audio from V2 to TV or other locations?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

Are there any alternative ways to get audio from V2 to TV or other locations?

Post by The Old Man » Thu Mar 02, 2023 17:45

I am still having problems with audio volume changing wildly from one recorded program to the next.

I'm currently have machine set to record 6 unwanted programs from ABC, SBS, 7, 9 &10. I then will try to determine what if any provider has the most variation.

I'm thinking along the lines of perhaps getting a bluetooth device plugged somewhere in my V2 and having the sound sent directly into Bluetooth speakers that I already have.

I would welcome any other ideas no matter how wild like sending a video out signal throught a splitter or even through a router/switch since they sometimes also have things like USB ports. My 5 &1/2 years old Tv has 4 HDMI in ports, USB port and aothers that has things like ARC & MHL as well.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Are there any alternative ways to get audio from V2 to TV or other locations?

Post by MrQuade » Thu Mar 02, 2023 18:50

The Old Man wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 17:45
I am still having problems with audio volume changing wildly from one recorded program to the next.
Have you followed PeterU's advice from this thread?

Set your V2's volume control to 2 or three steps from maximum volume and leave it at that setting. Do not adjust the V2's volume controls once set.
Turn off the setting for "Dolby Downmixing" in your audio settings so that the Dolby signal is bitstreamed to your audio output device.
Then use the TV, or your AV receiver's volume control to set your preferred listening level.
After those steps, most channels should be at more or less the same volume level (barring any commercial station's overall "loudness").
The Old Man wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 17:45
I'm currently have machine set to record 6 unwanted programs from ABC, SBS, 7, 9 &10. I then will try to determine what if any provider has the most variation.
My prediction is that you will find that all the HD broadcasts will generally be quieter than the SD ones.
This is because the HD channels broadcast in Dolby, whereas the SD services are all MPEG.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

The Old Man
Master

Re: Are there any alternative ways to get audio from V2 to TV or other locations?

Post by The Old Man » Wed Mar 22, 2023 00:20

I now have another clue as to why my V2 still has the sound problems reported previously.

So when I replaced my Wi-Fi  connection with Ethernet , I had forgotten that the Ethernet worked in both directions, so that when I was on the PC today I saw network folders along with subfolders mentioning the Beyonwiz. So I could see all recorded files and play them on the PC by using VLC and edit if wanted on VideoReDo.

I was able to playback recordings that didn't have a  consistent volume but there was no file that I tried to play that I couldn't get up to an acceptable level on the PC. 

And because the file was in VLC I could see what codec was used and what tracks were available. Sometimes there were two audio tracks one being descriptions and the other just being straight sound with different codecs.

Never were all tracks with sufficient volume on the PC.   It seems to suggest there must be something wrong with the audio playback part of the V2 would you agree?

I know that I could take any of these files on my PC and increase the volume that way, but this should not be necessary.

Now its a case I think of trying to see if the problem is downmixing controls both before and after a recording is set, providers using different codec etc.

Does this seem to be the correct path to solve this problem and do you have any other suggestions?

I found an old Harmony 650 remote which had been forgotten about.  It seems a extraordinary coincidence that the provided V2 and the Harmony remote has ever button work except for the volume up/down.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 22, 2023 00:57

You still haven't responded to the questions and suggestions already put forward.

Turn off downmixing.
Set the V2's volume to a couple of clicks below maximum.

With that setting, all channels should sound about the same.

Can you please confirm that this is, or is not the case for you?

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36

I do have downmixing all turned off.

As for the suggestion that I turn down the V2's volume down to a couple of clicks below the maximum I can't.

I have no idea as to what it's set to because nether the V2's remote or the Logitech Harmony 650 remote has volume control that does anything at all. Yet ALL other buttons on both both remotes work. The 650 even displays a small signal in bottom right corner that its sending a signal.

It I press the audio button on the V2 the only buttons left to try would be connection type HDMI etc.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29

Since you've got it networked use OpenWebif (http://beyonwizv2) to check/set the volume.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:07

The first thing that I see after clicking the shotcut to OpenWebif that you sent is a message that says that the network can't be reached detected, run diagnosis.

Windows comes back with message that it can't find a network.

I go to Windows select 'C' drive and near bottom of list it dispalys Beyonwiz,click movies and all recorder programs are there. I can open each file in VCL and VideoReDo.

My link to OpenWebIf isn't working,so do I need a new shortcut because I have switched to Ethernet?

Do I have to download OpenWebif again and if so which site is best?

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Mar 22, 2023 15:32

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:07
The first thing that I see after clicking the shotcut to OpenWebif that you sent is a message that says that the network can't be reached detected, run diagnosis.

Windows comes back with message that it can't find a network.
Windows? Not your browser? Make sure it's still http and not https (alternatively, enable https in the OWIF settings on the V2).

Do I have to download OpenWebif again and if so which site is best?
There's nothing to download, it's on the V2.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 22, 2023 16:59

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36
I have no idea as to what it's set to because nether the V2's remote or the Logitech Harmony 650 remote has volume control that does anything at all. Yet ALL other buttons on both both remotes work. The 650 even displays a small signal in bottom right corner that its sending a signal.
You probably need to properly configure your "Watch V2" activity to send the correct codes.

If you switch the 650 to "V2" device mode, the volume and mute controls should work properly by default.

You really need to sort out this remote problem first before you worry about audio level issues. If you can't control the V2 correctly, then you have next to no hope of getting it set up right.

The steps that Adoxa is helping you with on the network web interface will get you past the immediate issue of setting the volume to the correct level, but that will not be a satisfactory long-term solution.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 22, 2023 17:07

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 00:20
Never were all tracks with sufficient volume on the PC.   It seems to suggest there must be something wrong with the audio playback part of the V2 would you agree?

No, I don't agree. The V2 is just streaming the contents of the file to the PC. The audio (and video) decoding is being done on the PC.

The contents of the file has simply been extracted without modification from what's been broadcast.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Mar 25, 2023 18:40

Well I had been trying this sound problem for a while now and I switched to trying out as many options as I could find.  I looked at every option that appeared in settings like CEC as well as the audio playback settings on the V2 itself.

I even resorted to getting my favorite list and telling the V2 to record 3 short programs now and another 3 little later ect.
Well it seems that this trial & error approach finally paid off.  Not only did these test recordings play at a good volume, so did all of my previously recorded media.

On one hand its great that it's all working but on the other it would have been good to know exactly where things went wrong just incase it ever happens again.

Almost as strange is that the volume button on both that V2 and the Harmony 650 remote is working again.

If I can get the time I might go back & and take a screenshot of every page that I can recall changing so I would know exactly where things went wrong just incase it ever happen again.

It would have been nice to have been able to access OpenWebIf on my PC but it won't perhaps because I have my ethernet set incorrectly.

I would also like to thank everyone for their ideas.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:09

The Old Man wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 18:40
It would have been nice to have been able to access OpenWebIf on my PC but it won't perhaps because I have my ethernet set incorrectly.

Earlier in the discussion, you said that you could see and play recordings on your V2 using VLC on your PC. If you could do that, then your V2's Ethernet was working at that time. If you can't get OpenWebIf to work but you can stream from the V2 to the PC using VLC, it suggests that it's a usage or configuration problem with OpenWebif on your setup.

Perhaps you could start a topic to get advice on that. Starting off with a description of your Ethernet system, how you tried to connect the V2 to your network and a screenshot of MENU>Information>Network. Giving the address that you typed into your browser to connect to OpenWebIf would also be useful, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Mar 26, 2023 23:31

It's also possible that there is a DNS resolution issue on TheOldMan's network.

The http://beyonwizv2 wouldn't resolve in a web browser if there were DNS problems, but Windows would still be able to discover the V2 and list it in Windows Explorer.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 27, 2023 09:23

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 23:31
It's also possible that there is a DNS resolution issue on TheOldMan's network.

That's why I asked for a screenshot of the Network page and for the URL that TheOldMan used to try to connect to OpenWebif.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Mar 27, 2023 14:35

I have now managed to get OpenWebIf on my tablet and it seems to be working almost perfectly.

I just copied the 192. etc number and it downloaded and installed.

I said almost because when it comes to editing a list of favorites I can't see how to make a selection move up/down.
I can see what is scheduled to be recorded and what has and they all play perfectly.

When I attempted to install OpenWebIf to the PC I kept getting blocked for security reasons since it appears that access to your website doesn't have security installed.  

Google search gives me a list of potential places to download from and I am unsure which site & version to request.

I wanted to get the requested screenshot requested I can't find the network settings on the tablet. So I took this shot with camera about box info.
Attachments
BW Screen info.JPG
BW Screen info.JPG (40.97 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Mar 27, 2023 15:36

As already posted, you don't install OpenWebIf it is already installed on your V2.

To use it on your PC just type the same IP address into a browser (Firefox, etc) and it will appear.

Bouquet editor is a menu option under Extras on the left.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Mar 27, 2023 17:06

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 14:35
I said almost because when it comes to editing a list of favorites I can't see how to make a selection move up/down.
I can see what is scheduled to be recorded and what has and they all play perfectly.
It's a "click-and-drag" operation, which is bit hard to do with a touchscreen interface.
Normally, you can just use your mouse to select and drag them into the order you want.

Return to “General Topics V2”