Automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

Automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles

Post by The Old Man » Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:15

Is there any setting in the V2's menus to automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles. I'm aware that I can turn them on/off once recorded but since the wife always want's them on I'm asking.

gibster
Master

Re: Automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles

Post by gibster » Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:26

The Old Man wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:15
Is there any setting in the V2's menus to automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles. I'm aware that I can turn them on/off once recorded but since the wife always want's them on I'm asking.
Hiya, it should be Menu/TV/Subtitles/Automatically Turn On Subtitles

That should do it. There are a lot of programs that have no subtitles though. Makes it difficult for us hard of hearing old timers. I did just get hearing aids and can't believe how clear everything is now.

Gib
BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4K Gen 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS

prl
Wizard God

Re: Automaticaly turn on recorded subtitles

Post by prl » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:16

gibster wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:26
The Old Man wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:15
Hiya, it should be Menu/TV/Subtitles/Automatically Turn On Subtitles

That should do it.

There's a step missing: MENU>Setup>TV>Subtitles.

However, that setting is for external subtitles (additional subtitle files used for, say, media files). It has no effect on closed captions in the broadcast TV or in recordings of a broadcast. It's on by default, anyway.

However, if a recording is made on a channel that has subtitle display enabled, then the recording will have subtitle display enabled. So if all channels are set to display subtitles, then (new) recordings made on those channels will have subtitles display by default. It's a bit more of a pain than a single setting, but it will work, and you'll also get subtitles if you happen to watch live TV.

For people whose sight isn't as good as it was, there are also settings to change the font size and the width of the black border around characters in subtitles. The latter can help improve the contrast of the subtitle text against backgrounds that have similar colour to the text.

The English subtitles in programs broadcast in languages other than English (e.g. on SBS) are part of the TV image, and aren't affected by any settings.
gibster wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 18:26
There are a lot of programs that have no subtitles though.

There are rules for that: https://www.acma.gov.au/captions-tv-bro ... st-provide

That page also has a link to how to make a complaint if a broadcaster doesn't follow the rules.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “General Topics V2”