Error message then spikey wheel

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

Error message then spikey wheel

Post by The Old Man » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23

While playing back a recording it suddenly stopped and we received an apology for some error. This error message was many lines long.

I turned machine of in the rear then restarted.

I understand that somewhere there is a log setting that I should be able to see, copy,send to the forum so that the error message might be interpreted and that I can perhaps do what is suggested to prevent it occurring again.

Where do I find this log and who do I send it to?

prl
Wizard God

Re: Error message then spikey wheel

Post by prl » Fri Sep 30, 2022 17:22

The Old Man wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23
While playing back a recording it suddenly stopped and we received an apology for some error. This error message was many lines long.

A screenful of white text on a black screen?
The Old Man wrote:
I understand that somewhere there is a log setting that I should be able to see, copy,send to the forum so that the error message might be interpreted and that I can perhaps do what is suggested to prevent it occurring again.

There is a log setting, but if what I described is what you saw, there will be a partial log showing what triggered the crash and a limited amount of information about what led up to it the crash, whether you have enabled debug logs or not.

There's nothing in your description that would really help say what you can do to prevent the problem re-occurring. There's no firmware version number, either, which might help check whether a firmware update might help. Other useful information would be the PVR's model number and what kind of storage device the recording was on (internal HDD, external HDD, network share).
The Old Man wrote:
Where do I find this log and who do I send it to?

Unless you've change the logging destination (and it sounds like you probably haven't), it's in the /home/root/logs directory on the PVR. There are a number of ways files in that directory can be retrieved, depending on whether your PVR is connected to your home network or not. The file can still be retrieved if your PVR isn't networked, but it's a bit more cumbersome.

Once you've retrieved the crash log file, just post it as an attachment in a post in this topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Fri Sep 30, 2022 18:15

I can't get to log files on either the V2 of OpeWebIf.

If I turn off machine off/on in back the wheel starts but never gets anywhere. The wheel used to stop at about 50% and then continued but no it goes nowhere at all.

Is there a way to reset the machine any other way like a pin in slot?

My wife will go despirate tonight.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 03:00

The Old Man wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 18:15
I can't get to log files on either the V2 of OpeWebIf.

If I turn off machine off/on in back the wheel starts but never gets anywhere. The wheel used to stop at about 50% and then continued but no it goes nowhere at all.

Is there a way to reset the machine any other way like a pin in slot?

My wife will go despirate tonight.

You have corrupted firmware by the sound of it. It is easy to fix though. You will need to load a copy of the firmware on a USB stick and follow these instructions.

If you scroll down there are written instructions too.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Oct 01, 2022 13:07

Reinstalling the F/W certainly is a step in the right direction. I now have favourites selected but can't get epg to default to this choice.

Can I assume that the Reinstall also removed any log files about original problem?

When setting up the EPG again I was wondering if the left hand side of Favourites will allow for columns to be resized?

Under network settings I can see that
Samba is enabled and running
FTP is disabled and running
DLNA server is active and running

What are these 3 options used for and should I be using them for anything?

The wife will be glad that I should be able to record all her programs. Thanks for the help.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Oct 01, 2022 14:04

The Old Man wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 13:07
Reinstalling the F/W certainly is a step in the right direction. I now have favourites selected but can't get epg to default to this choice.
If you open the EPG, switch to your favourite bouquet and zap to any service within the favourite bouquet, then favourites will be selected as your default. The next time you open the EPG, favourites will be shown.

There are some settings in the "Channel List" that allow you to "Always open bouquets". Enabling this option will show the list of bouquets, instead of your last used "default" bouquet.
The Old Man wrote:
When setting up the EPG again I was wondering if the left hand side of Favourites will allow for columns to be resized?
Press the MENU button when you have any of the EPG or Channel list styles open, and you will be presented with dozens of settings to adjust column and font sizes.
The Old Man wrote:
Under network settings I can see that
Samba is enabled and running
FTP is disabled and running
DLNA server is active and running
Samba is for sharing files with PCs on your network. It lets you open up your recordings from you PC's file explorer as if it was a folder on your PC.

FTP is a file transfer protocol that can be used by a variety of text based or graphical tools. It's just another way to copy files over your network that can sometimes be less friendly than using your normal PC's file management tools. It can also be a lot more powerful for advanced users.
You would normally use this for batching large file transfers, or if you want to do clever things with your recordings using a command line on a remote PC.
You need to set up a network password before FTP will work.

DLNA is a sort of multimedia file sharing protocol that was created to make it "easier" to share media files across a network to smart TVs and media players. In practice it is fairly limited and you often run into incompatibilities, but it is sometimes the only way to get basic file sharing functionality.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Oct 01, 2022 15:24

Thanks for all of that information as it's good to know.

I have been looking at the CEC settings and was trying to turn both B/W & TV on or off by pressing just the B/W button.

Is this possible? I do know that the TV should be able to go On/Off but the B/W might be recording & sould be using standby instead of On/Off.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Oct 01, 2022 16:09

I am now finding that I have a missing tuner.

If I go to info devices it only see 2 tuners listed. I have looped Blewy plugged into the usb Slot.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Oct 01, 2022 19:24

The Old Man wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 16:09
I am now finding that I have a missing tuner.

If I go to info devices it only see 2 tuners listed. I have looped Blewy plugged into the usb Slot.

Any ideas where I went wrong?
If you plugged it in while the Wiz was still running, then it won't be automatically detected. You need to reboot before it will show up.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sun Oct 02, 2022 15:07

Blewey is now going well.

I still can't get EPG to default to my favorites but I will keep trying. Perhaps it can be done using OpenWebIf since it's easier to use this to move channels around ect.

I looked at what updates were available & it said thet there were 357. I can't imagein what they might do since almost all the main selections are working correctly. Is it worth the effort?

The suggestion is that if I proseed I should try doing this by USB instead.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Oct 02, 2022 16:36

The Old Man wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 15:07
Blewey is now going well.

I still can't get EPG to default to my favorites but I will keep trying. Perhaps it can be done using OpenWebIf since it's easier to use this to move channels around ect.
What do you see when you press the "EPG" button then?
Does the Wiz show the graphical EPG?
It should show you the regular "Graphical EPG" with all the channels listed from your last used bouquet.

Press the NEXT button until you are in your preferred bouquet.

Then zap to a service in that bouquet (ie. change the channel)

Quit the EPG with EXIT (if it is still showing).

Press EPG again.

You should see the EPG and it should be displaying your preferred bouquet. (the one you last selected).

Please step through that procedure and tell us if something different happens.
The Old Man wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 15:07
I looked at what updates were available & it said thet there were 357. I can't imagein what they might do since almost all the main selections are working correctly. Is it worth the effort?

The suggestion is that if I proseed I should try doing this by USB instead.
Have a look at the Wiz info menu.

Press MENU->Information->About

The "Build" entry should say 20211010 (Which means 10th October 2021).
This is the last major build number. If you do not see that number there, then you should update using the USB method.
Make sure you back up your settings before doing a USB update so that the Wiz can restore everything back to you preferences after the USB update.

If you do see the 20211010 number under Build, then you absolutely should run the online update. That ensures that you have all the latest software versions and bug fixes that have been made available. If you do not fully update, then it makes it very hard for the forum users to help you, as your Wiz might be exhibiting behaviour that was fixed months ago already, and we may have no way to reproduce the problem to help you.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:04

I tried doing the F/W update the suggested way with the USB but could not get it to work.

So I went beck to the update page that said I had 357 updates and it said it would take a long time. Once I told it to proceed it took maybe about 10 minutes to do its thing.

Once I rebooted I look at the Information page & it said that I had the latest F/W version. I was then surprised to find that all of my data was still there and that I don't have to recreate a favorite list and set what to record,speeds FF/FR etc. So far I don't see anything missing. I did get this message however but don't know what if anything to do with it.
Attachments
20221003_085106-01.jpeg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 03, 2022 13:16

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:04
Once I rebooted I look at the Information page & it said that I had the latest F/W version.
As long as it had that 20211010 date in the build field, then you should be all good to go.
The Old Man wrote:
I was then surprised to find that all of my data was still there and that I don't have to recreate a favorite list and set what to record,speeds FF/FR etc. So far I don't see anything missing.
Yep, an online update will typically not affect any settings, since it is just updating individual programs on the Wiz, and the configurations are not affected. The USB update formats and re-loads the whole operating system from scratch, so that it why you want to take a settings backup first when doing a USB update.
The Old Man wrote:
I did get this message however but don't know what if anything to do with it.
The timeshift feature contains some special functions that split-apart and weld-together files depending on what options you use when you choose to "save" timeshifted events (shows/movies).

If you see this message, it means that the disk that you are using to store timeshift data is likely not formatted correctly.
Out of the box, most harddisks will come formatted such that they can be used on a PC (NTFS formatted normally). The V2 operates best when its disk is formatted in ext4 (a standard Linux disk format).
You can check what format your disk is using by checking the About->Devices screen on the V2.

If the disk is not ext4 formatted, then I strongly recommend that you save your recordings somewhere, and get the V2 to reformat the drive to its preferred format. That way, the V2 will be able to properly create hard-links, and will also be able to repair the disk in case it suffers corruption due to unexpected power loss (it can't do this if the drive is NTFS formatted).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 03, 2022 15:27

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 13:16
If you see this message, it means that the disk that you are using to store timeshift data is likely not formatted correctly.

My best guess is that the firmware update USB stick is formatted as FAT32 and is still plugged in.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 03, 2022 20:05

prl wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 15:27
My best guess is that the firmware update USB stick is formatted as FAT32 and is still plugged in.
That's a very good bet!

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Oct 05, 2022 18:34

Just to clarify it's only the USB sick with the F/W that should be formatted exFat not the HDD that you record your movies onto?

Your HDD should be NTFS?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Oct 05, 2022 21:42

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 18:34
Just to clarify it's only the USB sick with the F/W that should be formatted exFat not the HDD that you record your movies onto?

Your HDD should be NTFS?
The USB stick with firmware updates should be FAT32, not exFAT.

The HDD that you use for timeshifting should be ext4 which is the native filesystem for the V2.

Your recording drive should be ext4 as well if it is intended to be permanently attached to the V2. You would most often be using that same drive for timeshifting.

NTFS can be used as an additional drive that can be used for recordings as well, particularly if you intended that drive to be unplugged and used on a PC. The Wiz can't fix fish errors on a NTFS drive, so you'd need your windows PC for fixing errors of they occurred.

Return to “General Topics V2”