Does the V2 produce dud recordings like my P2?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

steerage250
Apprentice

Does the V2 produce dud recordings like my P2?

Post by steerage250 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 14:24

Having just found a dud recording of an episode in a series that was old enough to have dropped off iView (hence we've missed it), it has spurred my interest in upgrading to a V2. This only happens occasionally on the P2, but can be very annoying when you can't resort to the catch-up streaming channels to get to look at it.

How is the V2 in terms of reliability of recording ?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Does the V2 produce dud recordings like my P2?

Post by MrQuade » Sat Apr 25, 2020 14:46

That's a bit of an open ended question.

If the V2 crashes or reboots, or loses signal, then a recording will be interrupted.

But the V2 doesn't typically crash as a matter of course.

It has its own little quirks, mostly due to the fact that the HDD is external. It's possible that if you have multiple harddrives attached, they may get named differently to the last time you bootted up, so recordings end up going to the wrong place.

Bit typically, no, the V2 records very reliably.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

steerage250
Apprentice

Post by steerage250 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 15:05

thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be better in that regard than the P2.

One thing your reply did make me realise is that it doesn't have ANY capacity for a HDD, and ALL disk storage is external. (I knew it supported external USB drives, but thought that when I ticked (eg) 1TB storage when preparing to order, that that would have been an internal HDD - but no!)

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Apr 25, 2020 15:26

There is a microSD slot which will take large capacity cards. You can also configure the V2 to record over Ethernet to network attached storage. Both of these options can be used separately or together to give you a neat compact solution without having external devices connected to the V2. For example, you can configure timeshift to go to the microSD card and recordings to your NAS.

In terms of reliability, the most likely problem for any of the Beyonwiz PVR is signal strength and quality. If that is solid then the devices are unlikely to have issues unless there is a hardware problem.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “General Topics V2”