Recorded show Volume Low

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Recorded show Volume Low

Post by prl » Tue May 26, 2020 11:47

The volume control changes the volume in steps of 5%. Take the volume up to max, then back 1 step. Should be at 95%.

You can verify using the method that Grumpy_Geoff described.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 02, 2020 13:57

Hi All,

Just to add to the discussions here but today when performing one of my diagnostic scans I have noted that the ABC, like SBS, is now broadcasting optional audio tracks here in Melbourne.

Regards,
Ian.

sonicblue
Master

Post by sonicblue » Wed Jul 29, 2020 15:12

Just wanted to add I've also noticed some audio volume anomalies on the V2, where the volume is inexplicably quiet.

The first instance was a recording of 9HD with extremely low volume, but only during the event being recorded. i.e after the recorded event had finished, but still during playback of the recorded file, volume returned to normal level. So it appeared to be confined just to the audio format of that event. I regret not keeping this recording for testing purposes.

Last night 10HD was unusually quiet compared to the SD simulcast. No fiddling with audio settings had any effect, nor did a reboot.

I believe audio volume normalisation (or compression) is a part of many DVB-T decoders. Even our old 2008 Panasonic plasmas have an option in their internal tuner to adjust volume separately for HD channels to achieve consistent volume between SD and HD channels.

I notice there is an 'automatic volume adjustment' plugin available. I presume this performs volume normalisation/compression and may correct the issue, however I'm not keen on trying it as I'm concerned it may negatively affect sound quality.

I've also noticed the TV networks' audio processors sometimes screw the compression up, for example if there is a loud explosion in a movie, the master volume level drops really low and stays low for a long time, perhaps 60 seconds. I haven't observed this in a while though so maybe they've improved in that regard. Audio compression artefacts are still quite bad at times on SBS and 7 flix, as discussed in another thread.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 29, 2020 16:43

Here's a post describing how to set up the "automatic volume adjustment" plugin.

The post I linked to is nearly 2 years old and may be out of date now, but note that back then "no ... automatic switching will take place for recordings of channels that are under automatic volume control, thus rendering the plugin rather less useful than it might have been".
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Barboots
Master

Post by Barboots » Sun Aug 09, 2020 21:18

Barboots wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:50
peteru wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 23:25
A few rules of thumb:
  • Set Beyonwiz volume level to about 95% and do not change it. (Achieves equivalent volume between AC3 and MPEG audio.)
  • Prefer AC3 audio over any other format.
  • Prefer MPEG audio over AAC.
Thanks for this summary of best practice. I've been chasing a slightly grainy/clipped audio on Perth ABC and SBS broadcasts...

Cheers,
Steve
Legends of the Wiz',

SBS One HD Perth is still offending my ears with a clipped/grainy distortion to both the AAC and MPEG audio tracks. It's particularly noticeable during the evening news when the presenters are introducing stories from the studio.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any pointers???

Cheers, Steve

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:51

Take a look at the newsreader to see if they are wearing wireless microphone, normally small black and attached to the (their) left side lapel. These type of mics apart from a propensity to pickup clothing noise are not as good in the distortion figures as a boom microphone or even a desk mounted and wired mic. Often the wireless mike is affixed with the active side pointing down to avoid high frequency beaming from the mouth including pops etc. The off axis response of these mic's are not particularly "hifi". https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutori ... -cms-22408
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Return to “General Topics V2”