How can i edit recordings on the V2?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Doonks
Apprentice

How can i edit recordings on the V2?

Post by Doonks » Sat Jan 25, 2020 14:29

On my DP-P2 when playing back a recording I can use the remote to add markers (A & B), and then edit the file to either keep only A-B or delete A-B etc.

It is not apparent how to do this on the V2. Any advice?

TIA
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

I'm really not a techy, I need an injection of geekness!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: How can i edit recordings on the V2?

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jan 25, 2020 14:51

You just didn't explore enough ;)

You can set bookmarks during recording playback with the 0 button.

You then need to stop playback and press MENU. You will see an entry called "Cut-list editor". Using this plug-in you can set where to cut in and out to create a trimmed recording.

You can leave the file like that, the bits aren't City or, bit when you play it back, the cut parts will be automatically skipped over.

If you want to make the cuts permanent and recover three space on your hard-disk, you need to select the option "execute cuts". You will have the option to create a new final cut file, or simply overwrite the existing file.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:08

Cheers. I'll give it a go
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:15

Doonks wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 14:29
On my DP-P2 when playing back a recording I can use the remote to add markers (A & B), and then edit the file to either keep only A-B or delete A-B etc.

TIA

You edit with the cutlist editor. Select a recording and press MENU. It's half way down the list.

In the editor press HELP and study what each key does.

While watching you can use '0' to insert marks where ads start and stop, etc. This is not essential.

In the editor you can select a bookmark on the LHS.

Long press GREEN removes everything before the mark. Long press RED removes everything after a mark. Use these to top and tail.

To remove an ad, I use the number keys to find the start of the ad. The yellow and blue keys to fine tune. Press RED to mark the start point.

Next find the end point. Now press GREEN to end the cut. Repeat for all ads. If you marked ads roughly while watching, this is easier to do using the bookmarks.

When finished, long press BLUE or YELLOW. Select your preferred replacement option. I usually replace the current recording via the BLUE menu. In the YELLOW menu you can PUNCH cuts, which is quick and saves space. Comes down to personal choice.

Adoxa significantly improved the functionality of the editor, which is derived from open source enigma2 software.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Sun Jan 26, 2020 14:00

Thanks Paul
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:43

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:15
Doonks wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 14:29

TIA

You edit with the cutlist editor. Select a recording and press MENU. It's half way down the list.

In the editor press HELP and study what each key does.

While watching you can use '0' to insert marks where ads start and stop, etc. This is not essential.

In the editor you can select a bookmark on the LHS.

Long press GREEN removes everything before the mark. Long press RED removes everything after a mark. Use these to top and tail.

To remove an ad, I use the number keys to find the start of the ad. The yellow and blue keys to fine tune. Press RED to mark the start point.

Next find the end point. Now press GREEN to end the cut. Repeat for all ads. If you marked ads roughly while watching, this is easier to do using the bookmarks.

When finished, long press BLUE or YELLOW. Select your preferred replacement option. I usually replace the current recording via the BLUE menu. In the YELLOW menu you can PUNCH cuts, which is quick and saves space. Comes down to personal choice.

Adoxa significantly improved the functionality of the editor, which is derived from open source enigma2 software.
Hi Paul

I've tried this over and over. Each time I go to "execute cuts", it fails. I always get an error message saying "couldn't open 'input.ap' file"

Screen shots attached in (reverse) order

Any further advice?
Attachments
20200415_163512_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_163508_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_163343_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_163329_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_163249_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_163233_copy_1024x768.jpg
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:17

Was the Master Chef episode recorded on the Beyonwiz, or is it a media file or recording imported from somewhere else?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:21

Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:43
I've tried this over and over. Each time I go to "execute cuts", it fails. I always get an error message saying "couldn't open 'input.ap' file"
That suggests the recording didn't properly finish (possibly GUI crashed, or power failure). Running the "reconstructapsc" plugin on the file will fix that. The other thing is you haven't actually made any cuts, which is indicated in the list by IN and OUT items. If you just want to remove the end padding, set the position to the end of the show, long press YELLOW and select "end at this position" (and make sure that's what you want to do, because once done everything after is gone). If you want to remove ads, you need to use RED (start of ad) and GREEN (end of ad) to define the cut.

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:36

prl wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:17
Was the Master Chef episode recorded on the Beyonwiz, or is it a media file or recording imported from somewhere else?
Recorded last night on the V2
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:39

Then adoxa's suggestion is probably correct.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:45

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:21
Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:43
That suggests the recording didn't properly finish (possibly GUI crashed, or power failure). Running the "reconstructapsc" plugin on the file will fix that. The other thing is you haven't actually made any cuts, which is indicated in the list by IN and OUT items. If you just want to remove the end padding, set the position to the end of the show, long press YELLOW and select "end at this position" (and make sure that's what you want to do, because once done everything after is gone). If you want to remove ads, you need to use RED (start of ad) and GREEN (end of ad) to define the cut.
I want to delete the pre and post padding. I also want to remove the commercial breaks.

What I did was:
  • Record the show
  • After recordings was finished, hit play on the recording
  • Hit the "0" button at the beginning and end of each commercial break (i thought that was inserting the beginning and ending of each cut)
  • Then I went through the cutlist editor as per my screen shots
If hitting the" 0" is not inserting a cut, what is it doing? My screen shot showing the light pink marks is where I hit the 0 button.

I found that plug in, installed it, and just ran it on the file. What now?
Last edited by Doonks on Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:52

Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:45
You also mention a plug in. I previously have seen some plug ins, but what do I search for to find the plug in you mention? I imagine I go into Menu>Plugin>Download Plugins (green button). But then what?:
  • Drivers
  • Extensions
  • Skincomponents
  • Systemplugins

Yes, that's the right place. Navigate down to extensions, and press OK. Navigate down to reconstructapsc, press OK, and follow the prompts.

But if the recording finished normally, it should already have its .ap and .sc files.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:56

prl wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:52
Doonks wrote:
You also mention a plug in. I previously have seen some plug ins, but what do I search for to find the plug in you mention? I imagine I go into Menu>Plugin>Download Plugins (green button). But then what?:
  • Drivers
  • Extensions
  • Skincomponents
  • Systemplugins

Yes, that's the right place. Navigate down to extensions, and press OK. Navigate down to reconstructapsc, press OK, and follow the prompts.

But if the recording finished normally, it should already have its .ap and .sc files.
Yep, got it, installed it, ran it. I edited my post above thinking no one had seen this yet.
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:05

Doonks wrote:
If hitting the" 0" is not dating a cut, what is it doing? My screen shot showing the light pink marks is where I hit the 0 button.
It creates a marker (you can use NEXT/PREV while playing to jump to the next/previous marker). In the editor you see these as MARK. To turn them into cuts move to the mark at the start of an ad, adjust position as necessary, press RED, move down (presumably the end of the ad), adjust, press GREEN. You'll now have an OUT/IN pair (the marks will be removed if they're within the cut). Repeat for each ad. Long press GREEN at the start of the show (removes the start padding) and long press RED at the end (removes the end padding). Should you want to keep the marks when the show returned from each break (assuming the cut removed them), press MENU and select "insert marks after each in". Now you can execute cuts and get a new file without the OUT bits (with marks as "chapter" points).

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:25

Ok. I think we've moved 1 big step forward.

Just hit play on the recording, used the RED and GREEN buttons and successfully made cuts. Then on playback, the file skipped over (did not show) the cut sections.

What I really want is to save the recording without the cuts in there at all

See the attached screen shots
Attachments
20200415_181704_copy_1024x768.jpg
20200415_181914_copy_1024x768.jpg
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:36

Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:25
What I really want is to save the recording without the cuts in there at all
adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:05
Now you can execute cuts and get a new file without the OUT bits (with marks as "chapter" points).
Execute cuts can be trigger from within the Cutlist editor, or you can run it from the MEDIA interface by highlighting the recording, and selecting "Execute cuts".

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:09

One last question, how do I cut the pre and post padding?
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:14

Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:09
One last question, how do I cut the pre and post padding?
adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 18:05
Long press GREEN at the start of the show (removes the start padding) and long press RED at the end (removes the end padding).

Doonks
Apprentice

Post by Doonks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:17

Thank you all so much, you've really helped me out. Very much appreciated!
DP-P2
V2
Galaxy S22
Galaxy S24 Ultra

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 22:58

Doonks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 19:17
Thank you all so much, you've really helped me out. Very much appreciated!

Glad you have it sorted. The guys have done a really great job filling in the gaps.

A very useful key is "Help". It explains what every key does. Pay attention to the yellow text to know if it is a long or short key press.

To save an edited movie, I long press BLUE and select 'replace the existing movie'. Adoxa (who substantially improved the editor) seems to prefer to long press YELLOW and 'punch cuts' as it is quicker. Both work well. My preference seems better for shows that I convert to other formats but that may just be due to the software I use.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

AndrewM

Post by AndrewM » Fri May 01, 2020 20:05

Just sharing some initial experiences using the cutlist editor and asking a few questions...

The cutlist editor seems to have some odd behaviours, some by design and some I'm hoping aren't.

Moving through the recording in the cutlist editor requires different buttons to when you're playing the recording.
  • You need to use the number buttons to skip forwards or backwards, not the arrow buttons, and these only work while playing, not in pause.
  • Prev and Next buttons skip 5 minutes, rather than move to the prev or next mark, although 0 still inserts a mark.
  • Arrow up and down move up and down through the list of marks on the left side of the screen
Would it be possible to use the same buttons that are used when watching a recording?

Pressing the red button creates an "out" point - but this isn't marked in any way until you press the green button and create the corresponding "in" point - this is very confusing for new users.
Pressing the red button also pauses the playback. You need to press the play button again for any further actions to take place. Even though you can move up and down the list of marks, pressing the green button won't make them an "in" point unless you have first pressed play.

Pressing the yellow button during play starts rewind. Pressing the blue button while in this rewind state makes the playback jump all over the place. They are supposed to "step back" or forward - that doesn't seem to happen whether in play or in pause. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be stepping back a certain amount of time or to the previous mark, but either way it doesn't work for me.

Is there a way of splitting a recording, so that the cut portion is actually kept rather than always discarded?

And what does "punch cuts" do that is any different to "Place the cut movie in a new file ending with 'cut'" ?

All in all, this is so much more complicated and less intuitive than the simple method of the DP-P1 I've been happily using for around the last 10 years. I'm not sure my wife, who does most of the editing, isn't going to make me send the V2 back!

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri May 01, 2020 21:55

AndrewM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 20:05
You need to use the number buttons to skip forwards or backwards, not the arrow buttons
I think the editor originated on different remotes, where this type of thing seems common. Besides, the up/down arrows are used to move through the list and you can configure playback to skip by number (although the editor's skips are fixed).
these only work while playing, not in pause.
Unfortunately, that's a limitation of the V2 drivers, beyond my control. I tried a slow/skip/pause sequence, but it doesn't really work.
Arrow up and down move up and down through the list of marks on the left side of the screen
You'd rather have UP/DOWN skip and PREV/NEXT move through the list? Sorry, much easier to leave it as it is.
Pressing the red button creates an "out" point - but this isn't marked in any way until you press the green button and create the corresponding "in" point - this is very confusing for new users.
I'll see what I can do, but it'll be a while. To add to the confusion you can also create a cut by pressing GREEN, going backwards and pressing RED, or press each repeatedly to update position.
Is there a way of splitting a recording, so that the cut portion is actually kept rather than always discarded?
Splitting a recording can be done indirectly: long press GREEN at the start of the second part and execute cuts to make a new movie, then end position at the end of the first part. There's usually no need, as you can create overlapping recordings, so just record them separately.
And what does "punch cuts" do that is any different to "Place the cut movie in a new file ending with 'cut'" ?
It's a feature of the ext4 filesystem (so won't work with NTFS drives) that turns portions of the file into zeros, but removing the allocations. This means the file remains the same size, but the space is still saved, and it only takes seconds.

AndrewM

Post by AndrewM » Sat May 02, 2020 10:21

Thanks so much for the quick and comprehensive reply Adoxa.

Any thoughts on the behaviour of the yellow and blue buttons I’m experiencing? Is this normal or is there something peculiar to my unit?

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat May 02, 2020 13:00

AndrewM wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:21
Any thoughts on the behaviour of the yellow and blue buttons I’m experiencing? Is this normal or is there something peculiar to my unit?
Normal for the V2, unfortunately (they work fine with the other units). I perhaps haven't done as much as I should, since my V2 records to the T2, where I do all my editing. Although, I'm not sure there's much I can do, as we don't have the driver source, which is where the problem lies.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 17:12

AndrewM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 20:05
Here's a patch that adds a red or green mark, along with a red bar, indicating what would be cut. It also makes the marks a little darker and draws them on top of the bar.

Extract it to a USB or network share, MENU > Sources / Files > select where you extracted it > select cutmark > select setup.sh > Run script. Repeat to remove.
Attachments
cutmark.zip
(970.36 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

paullings
Master

Post by paullings » Wed Oct 28, 2020 05:27

Hi Adoxa,
Installed cutmark on my U4 last night and it seems to kill the screen display. I can see the menu items on the front panel change as I use the remote however nothing on the screen just the TV. Restart GUI and Reboot didn't work so Reflashed from USB. Tried again this morning with the same result.
Robert

U4 2TB (Jan 2018) 19.3.20211010 , HDMI
T3 1TB (Dec 2014) 19.3.20211010 , Front Panel 20057, HDMI, Warkus'd 2018 & still going
IceTV, Series2Folder, OverlayHD 1.70
Samsung 55"OLED TV, Apple TV, ReadyNAS 214, Sonos Arc, Harmony Ultimate One
Windows 10

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05

Sorry, I guess you've answered the question "Will a V2 binary work on the U4?" the hard way. I'll build a U4 version for you...

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:42

Here's the U4 version.
Attachments
cutmark-u4.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:32

adoxa wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:42
Here's the U4 version.

Someone will ask for the T-series version. :P

paullings
Master

Post by paullings » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38

adoxa wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:42
Here's the U4 version.
Thanks Adoxa. All good now. I use Cutlist Editor everyday and really appreciate the work you've put into this.
Robert

U4 2TB (Jan 2018) 19.3.20211010 , HDMI
T3 1TB (Dec 2014) 19.3.20211010 , Front Panel 20057, HDMI, Warkus'd 2018 & still going
IceTV, Series2Folder, OverlayHD 1.70
Samsung 55"OLED TV, Apple TV, ReadyNAS 214, Sonos Arc, Harmony Ultimate One
Windows 10

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 00:12

adoxa wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 17:12
Here's a patch that adds a red or green mark, along with a red bar, indicating what would be cut. It also makes the marks a little darker and draws them on top of the bar.
This has been merged and will presumably be in the next update.

Return to “General Topics V2”