Chaseplay issues

Moderators: Gully, peteru

keithcm

Chaseplay issues

Post by keithcm » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35

I have a V2 with a fast (U3 rated) 512g SD card which is set for timeshift. I found that if I am in "chaseplay" mode (ie. watching a show that has been paused for a while), when one show finishes and the next one starts, then there is a brief pause, after which then the V2 will either jump out of chaseplay and into real time, or will freeze. This is most often occurring when two shows run back to back, with no ads, such as ABC News followed by 7:30 report but has also happened at the start of other shows. I tried running timeshift from a USB 3.0 drive but still had the same problem. Any way to solve this issue?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Chaseplay issues

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 19, 2019 13:06

keithcm wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35
I have a V2 with a fast (U3 rated) 512g SD card which is set for timeshift. I found that if I am in "chaseplay" mode (ie. watching a show that has been paused for a while), when one show finishes and the next one starts, then there is a brief pause, after which then the V2 will either jump out of chaseplay and into real time, or will freeze. This is most often occurring when two shows run back to back, with no ads, such as ABC News followed by 7:30 report but has also happened at the start of other shows. I tried running timeshift from a USB 3.0 drive but still had the same problem. Any way to solve this issue?
Is it happening when the V2 timeshift *playback* reaches the end of the event, or is it happening when the event changes on live TV, but you are timeshifted back at some point in the middle of the event?

You reported that you got some errors when performing the online update. I'd recommend flashing the firmware from USB to make sure there are no software problems on your V2. Don't forget to back up your settings first though!
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

keithcm

Post by keithcm » Thu Dec 19, 2019 13:30

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 13:06
Is it happening when the V2 timeshift *playback* reaches the end of the event, or is it happening when the event changes on live TV, but you are timeshifted back at some point in the middle of the event?
It occurs when the end of the event is reached during playback, not when it ends on live TV. This behaviour was evident prior to the firmware upgrade. Is there any setting I could change that may help?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Dec 19, 2019 23:56

Don't try and skip over the "end" of a timeshift buffer segment; either skip to near the end and let play transition to the next segment (with the slight pause between transitions), or use the NEXT key to move to the next buffer.
If it freezes, try a skip back and then PLAY to resume play.

Paused timeshift playback when the live event changes (Now/Next) also has resume issues. I need to press PLAY/PAUSE twice in quick succession and then OK and it resumes playback.
My button settings have 'Behaviour of PLAY/PAUSE when paused' as 'Single step (GOP)', so I normally need to use OK to resume play in any case. You may need to do the opposite.
Pressing REW or FWD would also resume slow play and then OK would get me back to normal speed play.

keithcm

Post by keithcm » Tue Dec 24, 2019 13:24

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 23:56
Don't try and skip over the "end" of a timeshift buffer segment;
Yes, if you do that you will be dropped into real time. To get to the start of the current segment from that point, you have to press pause or skip back, then press the back button, which will send you back to the start of your timeshift. Then you must press the forward button several times until you get to your desired program. While I can see the advantages of setting shows as individual events, it is a real cludge to use, and its a shame there is no way to override these features so that scrolling back-forward across shows is seamless, like with a Topfield.

Also, in reference to my top post, I found that the problem of dropping into real time following an event change was largely due to my using a Lexar SD card. I changed the timeshift buffer to point to a USB drive and the problem is resolved, so I would not recommend Lexar SD cards for this machine, no matter how fast they are.

Return to “General Topics V2”