Bookmarking on V2 Box

Moderators: Gully, peteru

PVR User

Bookmarking on V2 Box

Post by PVR User » Sat Nov 30, 2019 13:35

Is there a way to "Add a Bookmark" while a live recording is taking place?

Scenario one might be watching the start of a live recording, say 10 mins in, and have to go out. On your return you want to play from where you left the live recording, or in some cases the finished recording you had started to watch.

FYI. I know how to add bookmarks to an existing finished recorded program.

Thank you.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Bookmarking on V2 Box

Post by MrQuade » Sat Nov 30, 2019 19:40

If you're actually watching the recording and not just chaseplaying the timeshift buffer, then the standard bookmark controls should still work.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

PVR User

Post by PVR User » Sun Dec 01, 2019 15:22

Hi MrQuade,
Hopping you can help clarify how to insert bookmarks to a current live active recording.
(Not time shift buffer as you mentioned)
And how to then view the bookmarks that have been inserted to the live active recording so I can skip to them.
I know pressing "0" (zero) button during playback to recordings that have finished. You can skip between bookmarks with the usual NEXT/PREV buttons.
Bit "0" (zero) button seems to not insert a bookmark to a live active recording?
Hope I make some sense.
Thank you…

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Dec 01, 2019 16:10

PVR User wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 15:22
And how to then view the bookmarks that have been inserted to the live active recording so I can skip to them.
The bookmarks show up as red marks on the infobar timeline.
PVR User wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 15:22
I know pressing "0" (zero) button during playback to recordings that have finished. You can skip between bookmarks with the usual NEXT/PREV buttons.
Bit "0" (zero) button seems to not insert a bookmark to a live active recording?
The 0 button will insert bookmarks into a current recording (I just tested it now).

You use the NEXT/PREV buttons as per usual.

Remember, you must be actually watching the recording, so you need to have opened up the Media Player to play the recording that is still in progress, then you can press 0 at any point during playback to insert the bookmark.

This procedure is a bit cumbersome, so I am thinking there may be a way to improve this a little.

Perhaps a feature request so that a bookmark can be added to the current recording position of an active recording.
Maybe a new option on the recording popup menu called "Add bookmark to a current recording". The option will only appear if there are current recordings, and selecting that option will bring up a list of recordings on which a bookmark could be added.
It might also be smart and see if there is a recording active on the current service and automatically add a bookmark for that recording.
Or you might be able to do it from the timers screen.

Maybe one of the devs could comment on that idea and we can make a thread if it has merit.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Dec 01, 2019 17:04

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 16:10
Remember, you must be actually watching the recording, so you need to have opened up the Media Player to play the recording that is still in progress, then you can press 0 at any point during playback to insert the bookmark.

This procedure is a bit cumbersome, so I am thinking there may be a way to improve this a little.

Perhaps a feature request so that a bookmark can be added to the current recording position of an active recording.
Maybe a new option on the recording popup menu called "Add bookmark to a current recording". The option will only appear if there are current recordings, and selecting that option will bring up a list of recordings on which a bookmark could be added.
It might also be smart and see if there is a recording active on the current service and automatically add a bookmark for that recording.
Or you might be able to do it from the timers screen.

Maybe one of the devs could comment on that idea and we can make a thread if it has merit.

That sounds like something that adoxa could add to his 'Current Timers' plugin.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:23

A great idea, I've been wanting that for years... Sometimes you will watch live whilst a movie is being recorded that you intend to keep and archive. Would be useful to be able to insert bookmarks on the fly. Subsequently if the TS file was added to a MKV container if the bookmarks were available either embedded in the TS file or as a separate file you could easily add them to the MKV container and edit them if necessary...
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:54

netmask wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:23
Subsequently if the TS file was added to a MKV container if the bookmarks were available either embedded in the TS file or as a separate file you could easily add them to the MKV container and edit them if necessary...
Transport stream containers don't support chapters, so you'd need to write a custom tool that could read the bookmark locations out of the metadata files and insert them into the other container types (mkv mp4 etc).

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Dec 02, 2019 16:57

Not sure how it could be done directly in live TV - 0 is currently used for previous channel (which is what I tend to use, rather than BACK), maybe add an option to make it bookmark if the current channel is recording, or use long 0. Current Timers could possibly add 0, but you could just as easily PLAY (switch to the recording) and NEXT (probably twice, to get to the end), then press 0 as normal (and continue watching the recording, so further bookmarks only need 0).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 17:02

I wasn't thinking that it would be a feature that could be accessed with a single button press from Live TV. That would be a pretty hidden and inconsistent behaviour.
As-per my post, if a new entry appeared in the recording popup menu to "add bookmark to current recording on this service" (or something equivalent and less wordy), then that would be visible and likely "fast enough". Press REC, select "Add bookmark..." and done.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Dec 02, 2019 20:46

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:54
netmask wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:23
Subsequently if the TS file was added to a MKV container if the bookmarks were available either embedded in the TS file or as a separate file you could easily add them to the MKV container and edit them if necessary...
Transport stream containers don't support chapters, so you'd need to write a custom tool that could read the bookmark locations out of the metadata files and insert them into the other container types (mkv mp4 etc).
Chapters can be created in a MKV container using MKvToolNix with a simple text file or xml
_1eng.chapters.txt
(567 Bytes) Downloaded 29 times
_1eng.chapters.xml
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 21:03

Yes they're a standard feature in mkv containers.

I'm just pointing out that you'd need a tool or script to do the conversion from the enigma 2 metadata formats into something the mkv tools understand.

I've been meaning to have another go at simple remuxing of recordings on the V2 using three latest ffmpeg..... Must get round to that at some point...

PVR User

Post by PVR User » Tue Dec 03, 2019 13:53

Hi MrQuade

Thank you for your help and reply. I am coming for a Topfield box where adding bookmarks to live recordings and even time shifting was really easy and quick. Now I have changed over to the fantastic Beyonwiz V2 box. I knew I could add bookmarks to a recorded program and did not think to try to add bookmarks as you mentioned “Need to have opened up the Media Player to play the recording that is still in progress, then you can press 0 at any point during playback to insert the bookmark.” So now I am clearer on what to do. It is more steps though, having to go the recording via Media, then skip all the way to the end of the current recording, or searching through to where one needs to add a bookmark for later reference. More time consuming, but seems that’s the only way to do it for now.
Thanks again.

Return to “General Topics V2”