She's Up and Running!!

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jan
Master

She's Up and Running!!

Post by Jan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 19:56

Hi Everyone. Well The new toy arrived at around 5.30pm yesterday, and by 6pm I had it installed, favourites set up, ad skip buttons customised, and a couple of test timers set. It seems it is doing everything I need it to do in the way I would like it to, without having to do much tinkering in the setup menus. I needed to get off to Grandson No 2's basketball game, so was happy to explore all the other settings a bit more later. So much easier than I was anticipating! :D I am loving it! I was also glad to see there wasn't any pixellation on Ch 7, so my issues were definitely with the P1 and not with my aerial or cables etc.

So today, in between Grandson No 4's Teeball game, and Grandson Number 3's basketball game, I thought I would tackle the Network connection. I thought that would really be a challenge, judging by some of the posts I had read. Well, firstly, the wifi adapter I already had and mentioned in my earlier post, was fine and worked perfectly. Then, more by luck than good management, I had the Network connected in probably around 10- 15 minutes. I was so surprised, because I really had no idea what I was doing! :lol: Nevertheless, the Wiz and the computer can see and talk to each other and I was able to play video files that were stored on the computer, and copy files from the wiz to the computer and play them there with Videolan! I thought they may need to be converted to another format, but not so. I could also connect to the internet and play Youtube videos. So, very happy with myself!! :wink:

The next task was to load the V2 onto my Harmony remote, and that was also a really easy job when I got home from basketball. Again, I had anticipated a more complex job. I think these days the Harmony setup is a lot easier than it was with my first one many years ago.

So, all in all, I am thrilled with my purchase. At this point I only have one question. I thought I had set up my ad skipping buttons the same as I had them on my P1 - Up, forward 180, Right, forward 30, Down, forward 10 and Left, back 15. However Down wasn't working correctly. When I went back into the setup, I realised that Down was a back skip by default. Is there anyway to change it to a forward skip? If I can't, I can live with it. It is just that I am used to having Down being a forward skip. I will certainly get used to it if I have to.
Regards
Jan

prl
Wizard God

Re: She's Up and Running!!

Post by prl » Sat Nov 02, 2019 20:21

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but the directions of the UP/DOWN/RIGHT /LEFT skips are fixed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 20:37

Jan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 19:56
At this point I only have one question. I thought I had set up my ad skipping buttons the same as I had them on my P1 - Up, forward 180, Right, forward 30, Down, forward 10 and Left, back 15. However Down wasn't working correctly. When I went back into the setup, I realised that Down was a back skip by default. Is there anyway to change it to a forward skip? If I can't, I can live with it. It is just that I am used to having Down being a forward skip. I will certainly get used to it if I have to.

Nup, LEFT and BACK are both fixed as backward skips. Similarly, UP and RIGHT are both fixed as forward skips.
If you want more than 2 forward skip settings, then set 'Enable skip for number buttons' to 'yes' and set one of buttons 3/6/9 to your forward 10 secs requirement.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 00:56

Jan wrote:
Is there anyway to change [DOWN] to a forward skip?
As has been mentioned, the GUI doesn't allow it, but it can be done via a custom keymap. Copy this to /etc/enigma2/keymap_user.xml and restart:

Code: Select all

<keymap>
	<map context="InfobarSeekActions">
		<key id="KEY_DOWN" mapto="seek:10" flags="m" />
	</map>
	<map context="InfobarSeekActionsPTS">
	</map>
	<map context="MediaPlayerSeekActions">
	</map>
</keymap>
Bear in mind it's untested, so if you're not feeling adventurous I'll give it a try later.

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:14

prl wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 20:21
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but the directions of the UP/DOWN/RIGHT /LEFT skips are fixed.
Hi Peter. Thanks for the welcome, although I joined the Beyonwiz Forum 10 years ago!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, I thought that would be the case with the skips.
Regards
Jan

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:20

I don't know why I thought you were a new poster: it's clear from your post count that you aren't. I guess I just didn't recognise the name :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:23

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 20:37
Jan wrote:
At this point I only have one question. I thought I had set up my ad skipping buttons the same as I had them on my P1 - Up, forward 180, Right, forward 30, Down, forward 10 and Left, back 15. However Down wasn't working correctly. When I went back into the setup, I realised that Down was a back skip by default. Is there anyway to change it to a forward skip? If I can't, I can live with it. It is just that I am used to having Down being a forward skip. I will certainly get used to it if I have to.

Nup, LEFT and BACK are both fixed as backward skips. Similarly, UP and RIGHT are both fixed as forward skips.
If you want more than 2 forward skip settings, then set 'Enable skip for number buttons' to 'yes' and set one of buttons 3/6/9 to your forward 10 secs requirement.
Thanks Geoff. I had considered bringing in the number button option, but I have small hands, and my thumb reach from the direction buttons to the number buttons isn't comfortable or natural! I think I can learn to live without the 10 sec jump!! :wink:
Regards
Jan

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:32

adoxa wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 00:56
Jan wrote:
Is there anyway to change [DOWN] to a forward skip?
As has been mentioned, the GUI doesn't allow it, but it can be done via a custom keymap. Copy this to /etc/enigma2/keymap_user.xml and restart:

Code: Select all

<keymap>
	<map context="InfobarSeekActions">
	</map>
	<map context="InfobarSeekActionsPTS">
	</map>
	<map context="MediaPlayerSeekActions">
	</map>
</keymap>
Bear in mind it's untested, so if you're not feeling adventurous I'll give it a try later.
Thank you Jason (?). Yeah, but nah!!! :lol: :lol: The only code or programming I have ever done was well over 30 years ago on a Commodore 64 when I "wrote" a program that made the screen burst into fireworks when my kids got the right answer to a times tables test!!! I wouldn't know where or how to even put that piece of code!! I am sure I will get used to the lack of a third forward skip!
Regards
Jan

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:34

prl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:20
I don't know why I thought you were a new poster: it's clear from your post count that you aren't. I guess I just didn't recognise the name :)
No problems Peter! I haven't been active for a very long time! :D
Regards
Jan

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:49

Jan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:32
Thank you Jason (?).
That's right.
I wouldn't know where or how to even put that piece of code!!
Download the attachment and put it on your network. On the V2, select MENU > Sources / Files. Select the share and appropriate directory. Press NEXT to switch sides, select Internal Flash > etc > enigma2. Press PREV to go back to the left side, highlight keymap_user.xml and press YELLOW to copy it across. Restart and you should have your third skip.
Attachments
keymap_user.xml
Configure DOWN for a 10s forward skip
(314 Bytes) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by adoxa on Sun Nov 03, 2019 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 19:15

adoxa wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:49
Jan wrote:
Thank you Jason (?).
That's right.
Download the attachment and put it on your network. On the V2, select MENU > Sources / Files. Select the share and appropriate directory. Press NEXT to switch sides, select Internal Flash > etc > enigma2. Press PREV to go back to the left side, highlight keymap_user.xml and press YELLOW to copy it across. Restart and you should have your third skip.
Hi Jason. Always up for a challenge! I followed your instructions precisely, but no forward skip - still skipping back. I have double-checked that I didn't miss one of the directories and all is correct. I tried a re-boot as well as a restart. I thought I could attach a photo so you could see, but I don't seem to be able to do that.
Regards
Jan

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 19:49

Apologies. I've updated the previous attachment (tested and working).

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 20:19

adoxa wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 19:49
Apologies. I've updated the previous attachment (tested and working).
No need to apologise Jason! After all, you are doing me a favour!! However, updated file is still not working for me. It is definitely the new one (saying "unmapto" rather than "mapto" as in the original. And confirming, it is sitting in Internal Flash/etc/enigma2/keymap_user.xml.
Regards
Jan

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 21:23

Hm, what's your firmware version? MENU > Information > About and the Build field. This feature was added in 20190630, but looking at the firmware downloads I suspect you're on 20190623. If you don't want to wait for the next production release you could update to the latest USB image (20191022 at time of writing).

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 21:56

adoxa wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 21:23
Hm, what's your firmware version? MENU > Information > About and the Build field. This feature was added in 20190630, but looking at the firmware downloads I suspect you're on 20190623. If you don't want to wait for the next production release you could update to the latest USB image (20191022 at time of writing).
Yes, your suspicions are correct! I checked the website when I first set it up on Friday, and thought I had the latest firmware. I am a bit wary of installing a beta update. I don't want to break something for the sake of a 10 second back skip!! :wink: Are these beta updates generally pretty stable and reliable? Can you wind back if it causes any issues?
Regards
Jan

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 22:27

Currently quite stable. There should be no issues winding back. Don't forget to create a backup before the flash. Sorry it turned out to be a bit more effort than I was expecting.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Nov 03, 2019 22:27

Jan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 21:56
Are these beta updates generally pretty stable and reliable? Can you wind back if it causes any issues?
Yes to both questions.

If you install the beta, you don't even need to switch over to using the beta updates online feed either. That means that you will have the current known good beta firmware without any risk of a subsequent online beta update upsetting things unexpectedly.

When the current beta firmware becomes official you will be automatically updated to the official version.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Nov 04, 2019 22:15

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 22:27
When the current beta firmware becomes official you will be automatically updated to the official version.
That's tentatively on the cards for the very near future. I'd like it to be the case before mid-November, but it's not (just) up to me.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Jan
Master

Post by Jan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 19:47

adoxa wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 17:49
Jan wrote:
Thank you Jason (?).
That's right.
Hi Jason! Working great now after the update! Thank you so much!! :D
Regards
Jan

Return to “General Topics V2”