Ripped DVD and BluRay playback

Moderators: Gully, peteru

OPTWood
On probation

Ripped DVD and BluRay playback

Post by OPTWood » Mon Jun 24, 2019 14:09

I recently received my BeyonWiz V2, and was hoping to replace my old BW T2. The BW T2 constantly froze during use. I setup the V2, and TV recording side works perfectly. However I cannot play ripped DVDs. I have backed up all of my DVDs by ripping them onto a drive, and used my BW T2 to play them. The BW V2, freezes as soon as I select the movie folder. Strangely I can play ripped BluRay files. navigating to the BDMV/STREAM folder and selecting the correct m2ts file plays the movie. I can even select different languages.
Is anyone else having problems playing ripped DVDs? By Ripped DVD, I mean a folder with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Then within the VIDEO_TS file, the BUP, IFO, and VOB files.
The DVD files are stored on an attached external drive which I formatted with the BW V2. The same drive that I successfully use to record TV.

adoxa
Wizard

Re: Ripped DVD and BluRay playback

Post by adoxa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:34

OPTWood wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 14:09
[...] However I cannot play ripped DVDs. [...] The BW V2, freezes as soon as I select the movie folder.
I can confirm that an ISO of a DVD, as well as its extracted VIDEO_TS folder, will play in the T2 (albeit without audio), but not the V2. It didn't freeze until I pressed EXIT, though.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 18:29

Here's a patch to partially fix DVD playback on the V2 (the DVD mentioned above still doesn't work, but another one does; resume does not work). Install by extracting to USB/network, use File Commander (MENU>Sources / Files) to navigate to it, select setup.sh and "Run script". Repeat to remove. Uninstall before doing an update. Note: this replaces the keymap, should you have customised it.
Attachments
v2-dvd.zip
(62.68 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16

Here's a patch to partially fix DVD playback on the V2

Will this fix/patch be incorporated in some future firmware update.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55

Sandy B wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16
Will this fix/patch be incorporated in some future firmware update.
Not at this stage (it's not a direct part of the firmware and I'm not sure how to configure it for upstream).

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:18

Here's an improved version, fixing the DVD that wouldn't work (problem with LPCM audio), resume and subtitles. There's still an issue where a menu may not display - just press MENU and try again (don't know how to fix that; the initial button highlight might not display, either, just moving should fix that). I've updated the default skins (more like the movie player), so this one will replace your user skins.
Attachments
v2-dvd.zip
(57.59 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

pkarlstrand
On probation

Post by pkarlstrand » Tue Jun 09, 2020 08:49

I have same problem.

I cannot play any ripped DVDs, from folders on my 50TB NAS, the V2 freezes as soon as I select any DVD folder and hit play/OK, just get a spinning circle and have to power cycle the V2 to regain control. This is on present latest release firmware.

I can play other media types, mpegs, .TS etc no problem at all.

However I can play the same DVD folders without any issues on my old T4.

My V2 doesn't have local strage at all, it is configured to use NAS

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:57

DVD/Bluray playback uses a different media player than the normal video file media player. I'm not sure the DVD player has been thoroughly tested on the V2 hence the patch posted by adoxa earlier.

If the disks are ripped to .mkv or .mp4 containers, both the T4 and V2 will be a lot happier.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Tue Jan 10, 2023 00:25

After searching I can’t seem to find much info on this. Similar situation here - I have various DVDs ripped (by AnyDVD, so no encryption or region coding) to VIDEO_TS directories. No problems playing individual VOB files, but that’s a naf way to play DVD content, I’d prefer the menus. How does one “play” (on a T4) a VIDEO_TS directory a la VLC?

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Jan 10, 2023 15:25

If you have directory/VIDEO_TS/*.IFO it should just work if you select directory in the movie list (not File Commander).

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:13

Well, of course it's working just fine now... :roll: I was using the media player. I shut down the T4 when not in use so I guess the boot-up has fixed whatever hiccup it had had.

Return to “General Topics V2”