V2 Tuners

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jeffro27853
On probation

V2 Tuners

Post by Jeffro27853 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 14:55

Hi guys my V2 is only showing 3 tuners instead of 4, has 1 died and if so is it a internal or hauppauge usb tuner? Any suggestions or fixes? Here is what it shows in tuner configuration.
Tuner A :ATBM7821 DVB-T2/C (DVB-T2)
Enabled
Tuner B: ATBM7821 DVB-T2/C (DVB-T2)
Enabled
Tuner C: RTL2838 UHIDIR (DVB-T)
Enabled
Thanks.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: V2 Tuners

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Oct 01, 2021 15:33

I don't think a tuner has died. The V2 has 2 internal tuners. You also have a single USB tuner attached - a Rafael Micro/Realtek dongle (what we call the "bluey").
You don't have the Hauppauge dual tuner.

Jeffro27853
On probation

Post by Jeffro27853 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 21:57

Yep you are correct, and I'm losing the plot. I pulled the unit out and the usb tuner is blue. For some reason I thought I had 4 tuners :roll: it must be old age. Sorry for the post. ( Cringe )
Thanks.

kazz
Apprentice

Post by kazz » Sat Oct 02, 2021 09:26

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm having a tuner issue as well.

All tuners showing as enabled in the menu, but only one working, i have the blue single usb tuner attached.

The OSD (when you change channels) just shows Tuner A.

Have the internal tuners died?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Oct 02, 2021 09:48

kazz wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 09:26
All tuners showing as enabled in the menu, but only one working, i have the blue single usb tuner attached.

Set off a recording from the Seven network. Then zap/change service to one from the Nine network - do you get a live TV signal?
If yes, set off another recording on this network. Then zap to the Ten network, check as above.
The tuner ID indicator will only be lit for active tuners, green for currently viewed service (may also be recording from that same network), red for recording/streaming.

kazz
Apprentice

Post by kazz » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:21

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 09:48
kazz wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 09:26

Set off a recording from the Seven network. Then zap/change service to one from the Nine network - do you get a live TV signal?
If yes, set off another recording on this network. Then zap to the Ten network, check as above.
The tuner ID indicator will only be lit for active tuners, green for currently viewed service (may also be recording from that same network), red for recording/streaming.
I was fiddling around before I read your reply.

I had a fairly old version of the 19.3fw so I downloaded the latest Beta/RC and updated the V2 and all seems well again.

Thanks for the advice though. I guess the lesson here is to keep the FW updated. :shock:

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:00

So.....I purchased a Play TV tuner to go with my V2, and a Kingray 4-way active splitter (I'm still running a T4 as well). Until today I had the following configuration:

Rooftop Aerial: >>> T4 Tuner
T4 Tuner A >>> T4 Tuner B >>> T4 Tuner C >>>> T4 Tuner D
T4 Tuner D >>>> T2 Tuner A input
With Play TV tuner hooked up through the Loop out.

Tuners C and D certainly functioned but I didn't get to put them under much pressure (just thought I'd wait til the Kingray arrived)

So I hooked up the Kingray and moved to this setup
Rooftop Aerial: >>>> Kingray
Kingray 1 output: >>>>>T4 Tuner A >>> T4 Tuner B >>> T4 Tuner C >>>> T4 Tuner D
Kingray 2 output: >>>>>V2 Tuner A
Play TV tuner hooked through the Loop out.

Couldn't get a picture when I forced the V2 to use Tuners C or D. When I finally worked out what the 2 signal quality bars actually meant (I thought the bottom one was signal strength for C/D tuners....coz it is directly adjacent to those letters :), it seems that the signal strength for Tuners C and D was maxxed out at 100%. Turned the power off on the Kingray, and all tuners are seemingly useable. I guess I was surprised that the active splitter seems to have interfered with the performance of the 2 tuners that were not actually plugged into it directly. I'd sort of assumed that it would be more likely to generate this problem with Tuners A and B. Does this make sense?

I guess my only ongoing concern is whether the passive signal will hack it when recording from 3 or 4 services in less than ideal weather. I have also tried connectin the PLay TV Tuner to one of the spare outputs on the Kingray...with similar outcomes to those described above. Also tried reducing the gain on the Kingray. No diff. The T4 tuners are working fine.

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:29

Any reason you haven't used all 4 outputs?
Cheers
Gully

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:50

Gully wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:29
I like to live fast and dangerously I guess.

Nah, I'm practically only using two tuners on the T4 (have it set to favour C and I only send it recording timers for ABC and SBS) to try to extend its life.

In the last 30 minutes I have reverted to using 3 of the Kingray outputs (I plugged one back into the Play TV tuner).

Should it make a difference to the V2 if I connect the 4th Kingray output to Tuner C on the T4? The remaining F-type adapter that I was using to connect the Kingray to a Male-to-Male coax cable is a bit 'skewiff' and tends to let the coax cable drop out if there's any movement.

Given the weather heading our way, I guess I could set 4 timers on separate service providers tomorrow evening or Thursday and see how the recordings turn out.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 23, 2021 16:49

mkwilson wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:00
Couldn't get a picture when I forced the V2 to use Tuners C or D. When I finally worked out what the 2 signal quality bars actually meant (I thought the bottom one was signal strength for C/D tuners....coz it is directly adjacent to those letters :),
You should update to the latest release candidate firmware. The signal bars make a lot more sense now (aside from all the other improvements).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Nov 23, 2021 21:13

mkwilson wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:50
Gully wrote:

Nah, I'm practically only using two tuners on the T4 (have it set to favour C and I only send it recording timers for ABC and SBS) to try to extend its life.

In the last 30 minutes I have reverted to using 3 of the Kingray outputs (I plugged one back into the Play TV tuner).

Should it make a difference to the V2 if I connect the 4th Kingray output to Tuner C on the T4? The remaining F-type adapter that I was using to connect the Kingray to a Male-to-Male coax cable is a bit 'skewiff' and tends to let the coax cable drop out if there's any movement.
It really is designed to have all 4 outputs in use.

I would buy a new F-type adapter, it will only cost about $3.00
Cheers
Gully

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 05:14

Gully wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 21:13
mkwilson wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:50
Gully wrote:

It really is designed to have all 4 outputs in use.

I would buy a new F-type adapter, it will only cost about $3.00
Ta. I might even have an F-type to PAL cable somewhere in the back shed.

Return to “General Topics V2”