Will an android X96 media box work instead of the WIZTV dongle?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

trebo

Will an android X96 media box work instead of the WIZTV dongle?

Post by trebo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 09:24

Hi, first post here from long time user of a Topfield 2400. Doing some reading while waiting impatiently for my U4 to arrive in post.

As per my subject, can I expect to be able to operate my android box through the hdmi input of the U4? Not a big drama if it will not but would be handy.

Thank you

prl
Wizard God

Re: Will an android X96 media box work instead of the WIZTV dongle?

Post by prl » Wed Aug 22, 2018 09:57

The WizTV dongle isn't controlled through the HDMI port, so neither would any other device be controlled that way.

The WizTV is controlled by the U4 remote. It's unlikely that your android box would share the same code set with the WizTV dongle, though it's possible.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08

Control aside though, there should be no reason why you can't record from the Android box via the U4's HDMI-IN. You will just need to use the Android device's own remote for controlling the Android box. The HDMI-IN on the U4 doesn't care what device connects to it, as long as your device sends a video signal no greater than 1080p60, and an uncompressed stereo audio signal.

And as a side note, if the Android device enforces HDCP copy protection on its HDMI output, you may find that certain applications will only give you a black picture. If this is the case, and you want to record from those applications, you will need to invest in a HDCP-stripping HDMI splitter box.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

trebo

Post by trebo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 15:53

Thank you MrQuade and pri for the excellent info. I will post any success or failures after I give it a try.

trebo

Post by trebo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 15:25

Just a quick follow up, MrQuade was correct. With the X96 andoid box plugged into the HDMI input of the U4 I am able to record catch up TV (my main aim) from the apps. I have only tried channel 9 so far but expect I will be able to record from the 7 and 10 apps as well.

Very handy particularly given Harmony at my 'request' were good enough to add the android X96 device to its list so I have full control all in the one remote.

Return to “WIZTV Smart HDMI Dongle”