Preview and pre-release discussion

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Preview and pre-release discussion

Post by prl » Mon May 14, 2018 15:38

MrQuade wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 13:08
Makes it nice and easy to send the info to Logitech at least :)

I'll get in touch with them since I spoke with them recently about the U4.

It doesn't seem to have got to their database yet, though I'm not sure what device category they'd put it under (I searched under Digital Set Top Box, Beyonwiz, wiztv). It suggested I try the Beyonwiz T4 device instead. :(

I did an image search on the remote control image that Jai posted, and found quite a few matches, but for Android TV boxes that didn't even vaguely resemble the WizTV dongle. I couldn't find the manufacturers of any of them in the Harmony database, anyway, so I never got as far as being able to test whether they sent the same codes, or to have them learn the codes from the WizTV remote.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 14, 2018 16:30

prl wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 15:38
It doesn't seem to have got to their database yet, though I'm not sure what device category they'd put it under (I searched under Digital Set Top Box, Beyonwiz, wiztv). It suggested I try the Beyonwiz T4 device instead. :(
I only just sent the email to them on the weekend. I was waiting on any further feedback as to the function and naming of those few keys on the remote before I sent anything out.

I expect they will populate the database within a couple of days now that they have the info. I'll have to leave it to you guys to confirm that everything operates as expected, as I can only test that the correct commands are attached to the corresponding buttons.

Based on what I sent them, it should just be called the "WizTV", made by Beyonwiz.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 14, 2018 17:01

I've just bitten the bullet and done a full learned device for the WizTV on my Harmony 785. I'll switch over to the database version when it appears (perhaps keeping the learnt one as a backup).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 14, 2018 17:20

It's a bit late now, but the TV Control codes for the WizTV are also device code 0x01FE and:
TVPOWER: 0xF1
TVSET: 0xF2
TVIN: 0xF3
TVVOL-: 0xF4
TVVOL+: 0xF5

I presume they work through HDMI CEC. I've got no idea what TVSET (SET button) is supposed to do.

Also, I just got around to checking the other keys from the list derived from the image Jai posted against the keycodes sent, and there's a transcription error in the list. The code for the "9" button is 0x04 (both in the image and in my test of the keycodes sent), but the list says 0x42. 0x42 is the code for DELETE, the button directly below "9" (DELETE is correct in the list).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 14, 2018 22:41

prl wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 17:20
Also, I just got around to checking the other keys from the list derived from the image Jai posted against the keycodes sent, and there's a transcription error in the list. The code for the "9" button is 0x04 (both in the image and in my test of the keycodes sent), but the list says 0x42. 0x42 is the code for DELETE, the button directly below "9" (DELETE is correct in the list).
Thanks for that. I had fixed up the device code before I sent the email as-per my earlier posts, but I stuffed up that 9 key. I'll have to follow up with that one.

I had assumed the TV keys were programmable and didn't have codes based on the picture, but it seems not, as you say. I'll send those through as well.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 15, 2018 09:18

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 22:41
I had assumed the TV keys were programmable and didn't have codes based on the picture, but it seems not, as you say. I'll send those through as well.

The WizTV has HDMI CEC setup, but I haven't tried the TV Control keys, so I don't know how they work. I'm not sure my TV supports CEC.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

brianr
Apprentice

Post by brianr » Thu May 31, 2018 19:30

Ok, have had mine for a week or two. I find it a bit temperamental, and a bit laggy. Got Kodi working without too many problems, but i find the playback less than ideal. It seems to play back at a lower frame rate than I expect, leading to that slightly jittery quality in every movie I play. FreeViewTV complains that it can't find the internet, even though it successfully updates its UI, and plays TV, but everytime I go back to its home screen, it complains again. Not sure if this is the dongle's fault or the app. Asides from that, It worked fine when plugged into the back of my U4, but when I plugged it into the back of my Yamaha AV box, both the video and the audio jitter and fart quite a lot, despite me playing with video modes and refresh rates.

Overall, underwhelmed.

I will persist though, and see if I can iron out all of these things.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01

prl wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 17:01
I've just bitten the bullet and done a full learned device for the WizTV on my Harmony 785. I'll switch over to the database version when it appears (perhaps keeping the learnt one as a backup).
I just received a confirmation email that the WizTV has been added to the Harmony database. It looks as if they incorporated the fixes to the initial error too.
It should be ready to test out :).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27

Thanks, I'll give it a go, but there's some weird stuff going on in the 20180601 beta that I want to try to help sort out first.

It's now found by a search for a device type to add: search for wiztv in (at least) Digital Set Top Box or Media Center PC. These are device categories in the old Java Logitech Harmony Remote Software app.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

brianr
Apprentice

Post by brianr » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53

On a good note, I have set up my Harmony to work with WizTV using the database entry and that works fine. Only gripe is that the exit button is not mapped. You have to use the back button (The one with the arrow bent backwards)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:05

brianr wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53
On a good note, I have set up my Harmony to work with WizTV using the database entry and that works fine. Only gripe is that the exit button is not mapped. You have to use the back button (The one with the arrow bent backwards)
Android really doesn't have an "EXIT" as such. All of those functions are generally performed with the BACK or HOME buttons.

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 16:18

OK. So after some fun and games convincing the Play Store to actually download some apps, and resizing the display, I've just about got this little fella working. One thing that I can't work out is how to switch it off. I have a T4, so I'm using the remote that came with the media player (and the mini keyboard). I've gone into 'settings' and changed the 'power off' option to 'shutdown', but if I actually hit the power button (red one) I get no response from the media player. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Also, is the VPN option supposed to be functional? If I select VPN through the Network menu, no options appear (maybe it needs VPN to be first set up at router level?).

brianr
Apprentice

Post by brianr » Sun Jun 03, 2018 21:18

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:05
brianr wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:53
Android really doesn't have an "EXIT" as such. All of those functions are generally performed with the BACK or HOME buttons.
Yep, understand that, but the exit button works for every other appliance the harmony controls, so for consistency's sake...

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 21:36

brianr wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 21:18
Yep, understand that, but the exit button works for every other appliance the harmony controls, so for consistency's sake...
Oh I see. At least it is easy enough to map EXIT to BACK yourself then.

It does seem strange that Logitech choose not to make that default though.

ivan_ward

Post by ivan_ward » Sun Jun 10, 2018 19:16

Just set up my WizTV into my U4 and are very happy with it, after some initial setup problems.
If anyone else finds that switching the WizTV on and off causes their TV to move to a different HDMI input,
mine went from the working HDMI 1 to an unused HDMI 4 input.
Then going into setup on the WizTV and turning off the HDMI-CEC fixes the problem.

BP3
Master

Post by BP3 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 09:07

If plugged into the U4 HDMI input, what is the video quality that will be output to a TV HDMI input. Will that be the same quality if recorded on the U4. I always thought HDMI inputs to recording devices had video quality limited.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:03

BP3 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 09:07
If plugged into the U4 HDMI input, what is the video quality that will be output to a TV HDMI input. Will that be the same quality if recorded on the U4. I always thought HDMI inputs to recording devices had video quality limited.
The video quality will be limited.

The quality that is output when viewing live will be not or less as original, but it will be resized and reformatted to the resolution and frame rate that the U4 HDMI-OUT is configured for.

The quality of the recording will vary depending on what you have set the recording resolution, frame rate, and target bitrate as in the U4.
The recording will be encoded as h.264 video and stereo sac audio. The quality will naturally be affected as will any video when it is reencoded.

BP3
Master

Post by BP3 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43

Does that mean it will be similar to free to air TV viewed from a U4 (ie 1080P or similar). I am really trying to determine if watching Netflix using WIZTV would be the same quality as with a built in app on a TV.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08

BP3 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43
Does that mean it will be similar to free to air TV viewed from a U4 (ie 1080P or similar). I am really trying to determine if watching Netflix using WIZTV would be the same quality as with a built in app on a TV.
It will be similar as long as the U4's output is set to a 60Hz output mode.
One thing to keep in mind is that the U4 currently suffers from an odd screen artifact in that there is a thin dark bar and brighter line at the top of the screen when viewing live HDMI-IN content.

The WizTV doesn't actually need to plug into the U4 though, you can plug it directly into the TV if you want, and not have to worry about any conversion.

For maximum utility, you can buy a Beyonwiz HDMI splitter and send the output to the TV and to the U4 simultaneously, and then you can view without any quality concerns, and then also record without having to change inputs to the U4.

Return to “WIZTV Smart HDMI Dongle”