Setup port forwarding for T4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Phattchoo86
Apprentice

Setup port forwarding for T4

Post by Phattchoo86 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 14:43

INstalled this yesterday on ios, and loving it so far.

I would, however, be really keen to access it from outside my home network. App seems to allow for it, and I have a dyndns pointing to my home network (which works fine, as I have several services running that I cna hit no worries), but I don't know what ports to open/use in the app to connect to the beyonwiz

anyone point me in the right direction?

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Re: Setup port forwarding for T4

Post by Wiz HQ » Tue Sep 01, 2015 16:22

I am planning on putting a guide together for this later but here is an overview.

The app works via Openwebif and the default ports for that are HTTP port 80 and the streaming port is 8001. You can change the port from 80 if you already have something on it via Plugins>>Open webif. You then need to open both of these ports on your router matched with the local IP address of the T4. You can then go ahead and edit the current settings of your T4 in the WizOS app to include your dyndns or static IP and you are done :)

For streaming outside of the house you will only be able to do this with the T4 as it is the only unit that has Transcoding, to start Transcoding on the T4 you do a "Long Press" on the channel that you want to stream from the TV section and then choose the Transcode option.

Hope that helps

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Tue Sep 01, 2015 16:32

If your home router has any VPN option use that. This will provide secure remote access to your home network.

I would be very reluctant to open any T* series ports to the internet. The default security is non existent but can be made acceptable with some effort. HTTP port 80, has no security available at all. HTTPS port 443 can be configured and will provide encryption of that data stream, you should also enable authentication, i.e. username and strong password.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:06

IanB wrote:you should also enable authentication, i.e. username and strong password.
That's currently not so easy. It requires one to ssh/telnet into the box and use some Unix commands to create a user and set a password. I am looking into providing a GUI for that, but if someone wants to help with that, I'd be quite happy. :D

Unless of course there is already a plugin for that. If so, let me know which one and I'll try to add it to the firmware.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:20

peteru wrote:
IanB wrote:you should also enable authentication, i.e. username and strong password.
That's currently not so easy. It requires one to ssh/telnet into the box and use some Unix commands to create a user and set a password. I am looking into providing a GUI for that, but if someone wants to help with that, I'd be quite happy. :D

Unless of course there is already a plugin for that. If so, let me know which one and I'll try to add it to the firmware.
enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-setpasswd (enigma2-plugins repository, in setpasswd) may be a useful starting-point for what's needed.

It looks like it can only set the root password, and can't create new users.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:28

I'd been thinking about how to better secure an Internet facing connection for this as well.

Is there a package available for creating a VPN endpoint on the T series box itself? I haven't been able to find anything myself.

I manage remote access to my home network using my Internet router as the VPN endpoint, but I know that not everyone is going to have a fully featured router/modem. Those who have a half-decent NAS can also configure an endpoint on one of them as well.

It would be nifty if the T2/T3/T4 could act as it's own VPN endpoint. As said in earlier posts, this would be far more secure and easier to manage.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:38

Like this?

Code: Select all

Package: openvpn
Version: 2.3.4-r2.73
Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1k), libpam (>= 1.1.6), liblzo2-2 (>= 2.09), libc6
 (>= 2.21), libcrypto1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1k)
Recommends: kernel-module-tun
Section: console/network
Architecture: mips32el
Maintainer: OE-Core Developers <openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>
MD5Sum: 310e9938dd7fb894d64e20d808fcb3dd
Size: 295704
Filename: openvpn_2.3.4-r2.73_mips32el.ipk
Source: git://git.code.sf.net/p/openvpn/openvpn;protocol=http;branch=release/2.
3 file://openvpn
Description:  A full-featured SSL VPN solution via tun device  A full-featured SSL VPN solution via tun device.
OE: openvpn
HomePage: http://openvpn.sourceforge.net
License: GPLv2
Priority: optional
An opkg list on the box finds it, but it doesn't seem to be listed in PLUGIN, GREEN Download plugins. I couldn't see it in PLUGIN>Software management>Manage extensions, either.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:42

Yes, sorry, I did say package didn't I. Your inference is correct in that I was *thinking* about a plugin with a nice GUI interface.

openVPN doesn't look too hard to set up, but certainly not an option for anyone uncomfortable with a command line.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Bookmaster

Post by Bookmaster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 15:36

I have also been trying to port forward my T4.
I have had a beyonwiz in the house since their release years ago and currently run a T4 and a T3 with two DPP2's as backup.
The two T series link perfectly to each other and also run seamlessly through the Beyonwiz Wizoz app and Blackbox Pro on our iPads.
I have been unsuccessful at streaming the T4 so as to view the set from anywhere in the world as we do a lot of travel.
My NBN telstra gateway modem supports port forwarding as I run an alarm system and cameras through it successfully.
I was wondering if you were near to creating the plugin mentioned by prl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:38 on this topic
If not any instructions on how to set it up would be appreciated as I can find no help anywhere on the internet.

Hope everyone enjoys a happy new year. :)

T4 and T3 HDMI
Samsung UA55D700 Smart TV
ONKYO TX-NR646 Amp
Technicolour TG799 Telstra Gateway Max modem

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 15:56

Bookmaster wrote:... I was wondering if you were near to creating the plugin mentioned by prl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 17:38 on this topic
That package is available to download right now (and was at the time I posted). It just can't be installed through the GUI; you have to use the T series's commandline interface.
Bookmaster wrote:If not any instructions on how to set it up would be appreciated as I can find no help anywhere on the internet.
To install it:
opkg install openvpn
in the T series commandline interface.

To configure, a Google of "linux manual openvpn" (without the quotes) found howto - OpenVPN and Man Page - OpenVPN as the first two search results. I've never used OpenVPN, so I probably can't help much beyond pointing you at the OpenVPN Web pages.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bookmaster

Post by Bookmaster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 16:27

Thanks for the info. I'll be trying it later tonight. I had seen your post but was unsure how to run the command lines.
My wife and daughter have taken over the machines to record copious programs of sport etc :D so I have to fit in with them.
I note the warnings about security but have not used the password option in the network setup for mounts.
I tried the security Plugin but it fails to load properly on the T4.
I will let you know the outcome.

T4 and T3 HDMI
ONKYO TX-NR646 Amp

Bookmaster

Post by Bookmaster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 20:28

I've had a chance to look at those websites, but am still unsure how to get to the T series command line interface
I am happy to try "opkg install openvpn " via cut and paste once successful.
I can access the root menu of the T4 on my windows computer via the network.
I am computer literate but have not done much in the programming side of things

T4 and T3 HDMI
ONKYO TX-NR646 Amp

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jan 01, 2017 20:37

Bookmaster wrote:I've had a chance to look at those websites, but am still unsure how to get to the T series command line interface
Windows command - "telnet beyonwizt4"

"How to enable the Telnet Client in Windows 10"

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 07:50

Note! You will also need OpenVPN for your remote devices.

Not all versions support all features, so you may need to calculate the intersection of available features for all the versions you intend to use and restrict yourself to those.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:55

I don't want to be rude, but based on what you posted about your experience with networking, I don't think you should be installing openvpn on the Beyonwiz. Setting up any port forwarding on your router directly to unsecured devices such as the Beyonwiz is also a very bad idea.

If you really must have remote access, setup a router or PC, together with your devices for remote VPN to your LAN. Then you will be able access all service at home via VPN. You are more likely to find a comprehensive tutorial for those devices.

BTW: There's a lot of exploits around the place targeting Internet connected cameras and "security" systems. You should be very careful with port forwarding to those devices, they are very high risk.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Ukind
Master

Post by Ukind » Sun May 21, 2017 13:54

Wiz HQ wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 16:22
I am planning on putting a guide together for this later but here is an overview.

The app works via Openwebif and the default ports for that are HTTP port 80 and the streaming port is 8001. You can change the port from 80 if you already have something on it via Plugins>>Open webif. You then need to open both of these ports on your router matched with the local IP address of the T4. You can then go ahead and edit the current settings of your T4 in the WizOS app to include your dyndns or static IP and you are done :)

For streaming outside of the house you will only be able to do this with the T4 as it is the only unit that has Transcoding, to start Transcoding on the T4 you do a "Long Press" on the channel that you want to stream from the TV section and then choose the Transcode option.

Hope that helps

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin
Hey can you still put together a guide for this? I have recently made a post asking for help. It would be greatly appreciated

Ukind
Master

Post by Ukind » Fri Jul 13, 2018 19:23

Still waiting & hoping that we can get a guide for this :D

Return to “Beyonwiz WizOS Apple / Android Apps”